• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur Legends [Wii] screens

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Emiru said:
Looks almost as good as SC4 scans I saw.
Well obviously, they said the environments weren't complete... unless you mean the character models, in which case I'll just laugh at you. :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
IGN "Eyes On"

http://wii.ign.com/articles/800/800289p1.html

"It's clear that the game's putting most of its design attention on pure action as all of the emphasis was on swinging the Wii Remote around like a sword. Slashes and thrusts were recognized by the game, as were special moves that used sensors in both the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk. Maneuvering around was clearly placed on the analog stick, with quick sidesteps activated by a shove left or right on the nunchuk. Levels jam packed with enemies to hack and slash at, and we counted easily more than a half dozen on-screen enemies at any given time."

"Namco Bandai gave us a little taste of the game's multiplayer portion where two players can choose to cooperate with or compete against each other. These modes took place in a split-screen so that each player had the same view behind their character. Players could work together to wipe out the mobs of enemy soldiers, or attack each other in the same fashion."

Threi

notag
Andonuts said:
Is this any reason for hope? These days it seems Namco only makes good games by accident.

Yeah it seems SC4 is doomed as well.

DOOOOMEEEEEDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kafel

Banned
soulcalibur-legends-20070628104440821.jpg

soulcalibur-legends-20070628104440039.jpg

soulcalibur-legends-20070628104439258.jpg

soulcalibur-legends-20070628104438524.jpg

soulcalibur-legends-20070628104437711.jpg

soulcalibur-legends-20070628104436899.jpg

Krowley

That IGN preview is very, very positive, especially considering their previous skepticism..

I'm starting to think this is actually going to rock. They seem very impressed with the visuals after seeing the game in motion.

hyp

not bad... i just hope the gameplay isn't a basic slash up/down motion using the wiimote. that would get boring quick.

Wii games are never going to look next gen. So graphically it still looks like a last gen game...

But what Wii games have to depend on the most (probably the only thing it can depend on) in order to look good is art direction. In that case, this game looks very good I think.

Of course good art direction is merely a matter of opinion, so I think in the future, if devs do figure out that Wii games need good art direction in order to look good, Wii games will look good to some and bad to some.

Just an observation. Hope the game turns out well. :)

Krowley

hyp said:
not bad... i just hope the gameplay isn't a basic slash up/down motion using the wiimote. that would get boring quick.

They describe it a bit in some of the previews..

It recognizes up, down, left, right and thrust.. According to the IGN preview, a quick jerk in either direction with the nunchuck will cause a sidestep in that direction and there are special moves that use special motions with both the nunchuck and the wiimote.

Sounds pretty advanced when you think about the way soul calibur works. It should feel pretty awesome.

Bildi

Kafel said:
bullshots
Game looks great. I like bullshots anyway, they usually give a good impression of how the game looks because you aren't dealing with excessive jpeg compression and resizing artifacts.

Bildi

virtuafightermaster said:
Are those 16:9 screenshot? Does wii support 16:9 in most games? I wonder how it will look on my 1080P 46" TV.
If you have a good scaler it should look nice.

schuelma

1up Preview

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3160685

"It's clear SCL is not exactly a glorified Edge Master mode or Chronicles of the Sword. It's much closer to being a Soul Calibur version of Tekken's Devil Within: a straightforward action game with a story based on one of the series' central characters. We have a hunch that it may last longer than anything in Tekken, though."

yoopoo

Banned
schuelma said:
1up Preview

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3160685

"It's clear SCL is not exactly a glorified Edge Master mode or Chronicles of the Sword. It's much closer to being a Soul Calibur version of Tekken's Devil Within: a straightforward action game with a story based on one of the series' central characters. We have a hunch that it may last longer than anything in Tekken, though."
Two more paragraphs and its a review.

Bildi

fernoca said:
Bildi..watch for virtuafightermaster!
Check his post history and his reply to what you posted...

:lol
I see....

virtuafightermaster said:
But those shots dont looke like 16:9, more like 4:3. If I ever going to get a Wii I wouldnt want to have to downgrade my TV to make it looks good.
Baiting a fellow 360 3RLOD survivor? You cut me virtuafightermaster, you cut me deep :(

fernoca

The hell?
IGN says:
"The game looks great running at good frame rates, with good amount of details and lots of enemies on screen at the same time ..even 12 at the same time"

1up says:
"The game looks plain, not too detailed, enemies are scarce"

Do they pass their previews/reviews to each other, so one can post a positive one and anonther posts the not-so positive one...like the Brothers in Arms (DS) review?? :lol

Threi

notag
fernoca said:
The hell?
IGN says:
"The game looks great running at good frame rates, with good amount of details and lots of enemies on screen at the same time ..even 12 at the same time"

1up says:
"The game looks plain, not too detailed, enemies are scarce"

Do they pass their previews/reviews to each other, so one can post a positive one and anonther posts the not-so positive one...like the Brothers in Arms (DS) review?? :lol

Actually IGN said "half a dozen". Not particularly impressive. But then again all the enemies look the same so i wager this will be fixed anyways.

schuelma

Gamespot preview

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/...6173343&part=rss&tag=gs_previews&subj=6173343

"The work-in-progress version of the game we saw looked promising overall. The visuals in the game were clean and sharp, owing a tip of the hat to the previous entries in the series. Siegfried and Mitsurugi looked good and sported their familiar uniforms. Obviously the dynamic duo weren't quite as shiny as the character models shown off for Soul Calibur IV, but they were still impressive. The boss of the level, a floating coffin possessed by presumably angry spirits, was also something of a looker. The environment had a nice desert/Egyptian theme. The audio, though a bit hard to make out during our demo, hit the right beats. Combat had all the expected sounds of clashing swords with some voice peppered throughout.

Based on what we saw, Soul Calibur Legends has the potential to be a strong entry in the Wii catalog. The gameplay seems cool, though we're curious to see how responsive it is in the heat of battle. Look for more on Soul Calibur Legends from this year's E3 and in the months leading up to its release later this year. "

fernoca

TheWolf said:
now THESE are bullshots. :)

:lol :lol :lol

Look darn nice..
But ..don't get..the deal of each website having the same pics at different resolutions..
Did Gamespot had the exclusivity of those high-res shots? :lol

fernoca

Aww..That's cute Core..
You're so cute..
I mean, you barely post at any Wii-related topic, but when you do..you make it seem so special!!

Core407

Banned
fernoca said:
Aww..That's cute Core..
You're so cute..
I mean, you barely post at any Wii-related topic, but when you do..you make it seem so special!!

Don't worry, it's all in good fun. I've played the Wii for the past couple of nights at a friends and I'm already sold on it. Just waiting on the paychecks to come in before I can buy one.

Bildi

fernoca said:
Aww..That's cute Core..
You're so cute..
:lol GAF is so full of love today.

arab

looks quite decent, need to see more levels though cause i'm sure more colors that aren't beige will do the game justice

I sort of interested in buying a Wii for some of the third party titles like this one. But seriously, I did some search online, it seems there isn't alot Wii games support 16:9 and 480p. Is there a list of Wii games that actually support 16:9 and 480P? I heard that Nintendo is not encouraging developer to use widescreen mode, not sure if it is true tho, correct me if I am wrong.

Wow, it looks good! (Gameplay and graphics wise :D) Graphics are slightly above Ninja Gaiden level with SCL having better quality textures and higher polygon characters with more detail, and impressions are nice and positive!

Faith in this game is increasing with every day, this could very well be the Wii's Ninja Gaiden :D

Linkup

This game is probably one of the first serious efforts when doing the "wiimote as a sword thing". Horizontal and vertical slashing where it recognizes whether you slashed left to right or right to left(same for vertical slashing also). The ability to guard and parry attacks. It's the kind of control that all ground up wii offerings(action games with swords actually) should have and also the kind of control I've been waiting to try on the wii. I don't expect it to be 1:1 or anything, but they say the control works well and this will be the first of its kind.

No one is with me? I knew it, I'm an outcast among the wii fans.

schuelma

Linkup said:
This game is probably one of the first serious efforts when doing the "wiimote as a sword thing". Horizontal and vertical slashing where it recognizes whether you slashed left to right or right to left(same for vertical slashing also). The ability to guard and parry attacks. It's the kind of control that all ground up wii offerings(action games with swords actually) should have and also the kind of control I've been waiting to try on the wii. I don't expect it to be 1:1 or anything, but they say the control works well and this will be the first of its kind.

No one is with me? I know it, I'm an outcast among the wii fans.

Yeah, it definitely sounds cool- I'm still a bit skeptical just because we don't have any hands on time with the controls yet, but if they work, this game should be a winner.

Top Bottom