• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOULCALIBUR Lost Swords |OT| Namco mission statement

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Ugh man all this does is remind me of how much I wish these games actually looked like their art, I am not a fan of how they represent that art in-game.

Skilletor

SC V is nearly perfect as a multi-player fighter, so I think having a standalone single player addition like this is actually pretty exciting. I just wish the roster was bigger. None of my mains are in there.

I have no idea why people act like no effort went into SC V. It's honestly the best SC game we've gotten in 12 years. It has near perfect netcode. You can record all your matches and rewatch them easily. It has a better character creation mode than almost any RPG I've ever seen. The lobby options are my favorite in a fighter ever.

After replaying SC 2 HD for a good while, I'm not even 100% sure I think SC2 is still the best one. It might be SC V.

SC5 is my favorite SC ever. The gameplay is almost perfect. It is a super version away from being the best fighter ever, imo.

Soon enough this series will be the Megaman of fighting games, Skilletor.

:(

PROFOUND SADNESS!

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. Just frustrating to see how the IP is being handled. You have fucking Tecmo able to make an arcade version of DoA5, updating the console version, adding characters...and yet SoulCalibur's future is constantly in question.

Finaika

So uh...why in the heck is Sophie AND Pyrrha in this and neither version of Patroklos? Pyrrha is pretty much a better Sophie unless you really can't get past her like it or hate it moe gimmick.

I probably will pass on this anyway because I like playing against people online, but the roster is pretty odd.

They should add Cassandra too.

$h@d0w

13935614731_b5704b8681_o_d.png

13935608392_56f1a7abef_o_d.png

They should add Cassandra too.

Cassandra would have been better because she actually has some difference to Sophitia.

Pyrrha is just an evolution of Sophie though so even though they aren't fully identical (that would be Omega) it was kind of a bonehead move on their part with a limited roster.

Cassandra would have been better because she actually has some difference to Sophitia.

Pyrrha is just an evolution of Sophie though so even though they aren't fully identical (that would be Omega) it was kind of a bonehead move on their part with a limited roster.
The roster will keep growing. Many of these characters were just recently added to the Japanese version.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I just hope this makes them money, so they can get cracking on SoulCalibur VI for PS4 and Xbox One

Creaking

Can't be bothered linking any more, you can find a bunch more over here: (Just click a topic to see images)

Gad dangit! They made new creation pieces for this? That's low, especially since they stopped offering new content for V*! Guuuh....

This stuff had better be in VI.

*if I recall, there were creation pieces/icons added into the game files with some of the updates for V, and they never saw release.

Timu

9tpkqu.jpg

Hello nurse!!!

As a SC fan, I want to try this since my main Taki is back after her unfortunate absence in Soul Calibur V.

Malice215

So uh...why in the heck is Sophie AND Pyrrha in this and neither version of Patroklos? Pyrrha is pretty much a better Sophie unless you really can't get past her like it or hate it moe gimmick.

I probably will pass on this anyway because I like playing against people online, but the roster is pretty odd.

Give it time. They'll be introducing characters as time progresses, aka reasons for people to keep playing.

Creaking

Why no Lizardman?

What you got against our secret government?!

Shhh, his time will come.

Though it'd be nice if they gave us SCIV Lizardman as an option. Not all that fond of his two-axes not!Kratos moveset.

Creaking

That's racist.

That's the only explanation I've heard. More specifically--and this is paraphrasing from 8wayrun--due to the state of Seong Mi-na and Yun Seong's country during the time period V takes place in, they would have no interest in going after Soul Edge any more.

No Yoshi or Bunny Asteroth? :(

No Yoshimitsu, but Astaroth might have his bunny ears in some way shape or form eventually. They were a customization piece in either V or V's DLC (unless we're on completely different thought trains here).

Couldn't they release the weapon master mode/enhanced sp experience and any new chars (taki? Talim?) as SCV dlc?
Screw you royally namco..
F2p model to fighting game... Screw you...

Shinta

Banned
Couldn't they release the weapon master mode/enhanced sp experience and any new chars (taki? Talim?) as SCV dlc?

That would be nice. But you can see the logic of it when you realize that they're specifically trying to cater to casual SC players who skipped SCV. All the hardcore SC players probably were fine with SC because it was nearly flawless with the multi-player. But SC has a large casual base that enjoys single player, and f2p model allows them all to try it instead of skip it entirely since they never got the game in the first place.

It sucks, but it makes sense.

Brett Awesome

Neo Member
F2P Soul Calibur with a limit on how many times you can play per hour, what looks like Pay To Win equipment boosts and even more smut than usual.

Yeah, this is getting bodyswerved and anyone that puts money into this is part of the problem.

Warewolf

Well huh. This sounds awesome to me. I haven't played an SC since the first one on PS3, but the Adventure mode from Soul Blade was always my favourite part of the game.

Edit: "Continue Tickets". . . . energy based? Really? Well there goes a big old chunk of my interest.

Creaking

F2p with fighting games can work. Namco just isn't good at it. Dead or Alive 5 is a good example of a f2p fighting game that works well. You have a handful of characters for free, with others being rotated in and out weekly or so (which you can buy if you like). Basic modes like Arcade and Vs are there. Story mode, characters, costumes, music etc. are purchasable separately, though if you were to buy say, all the characters and story mode in a bundle, it isn't going to cost you more than Dead or Alive 5 standalone would.

It's essentially a meaty demo, and if you like it, you can buy more parts of the game that you're interested in.

Namco's system of shutting you out after playing for a certain amount of time or times is terrible. At that point, I'm more likely to quit the game and not touch it for weeks or months than spend money on a "keep playing" token.

F2P Soul Calibur with a limit on how many times you can play per hour and even more smut than usual.

Yeah, this is getting bodyswerved and anyone that puts money into this is part of the problem.

I just want them to make Soul Calibur VI. If the money from this makes that happen... egh, I can live with it.

Brett Awesome

Neo Member
I just want them to make Soul Calibur VI. If the money from this makes that happen... egh, I can live with it.

The idea that SC6 can't happen without some scummy moneygrabbing like this is absolutely absurd. There's no 'ends justify the means' argument to make here.

Creaking

The idea that SC6 can't happen without some scummy moneygrabbing like this is absolutely absurd. There's no 'ends justify the means' argument to make here.

I dunno, following the development of SoulCalibur V, it seemed like it took a big push to actually make that happen, and then it was rushed. And that was after what I thought was a very successful SoulCalibur IV. SoulCalibur V hasn't sold nearly as well as IV, and it makes me worry.

Bogard

The ticket thing is no surprise to me, after seeing Tekken Revolution and Gundam Battle Operation. Didn't they even do something with a limited game mode in the JP version of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle?

Point is, if it's Bandai Namco free-to-play, expect the tickets or possibly worse from now on. I see this train rolling onward to other franchises of theirs.

So is Pyrrha actually available from the start for the western release? Going by Siliconera you had to do an unlock quest to be able to use her on the Japanese version. The one thing I hated so much about Tekken Revolution is how I couldn't use Alisa from the start, it'd suck if it were the same for Pyrrha in this too.

Store is kinda updated now but it won't let me download Soulcalibur. It's showing up in the Free-to-Play section but gives an error if you try to access it. Also, if you search for it, it doesn't show up. Hopefully it will be working soon. Been looking forward to this,

Top Bottom