• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOULCALIBUR Lost Swords |OT| Namco mission statement

004kcl1rrrdez1aj2y.jpg

Soul Calibur Lost Swords is a new Soul Calibur game releasing exclusively on the Playstation Network this Tuesday worldwide. The game's genre is described officially as a 'Single-player, mission based, weapon fighting game' so it's essentially like playing a Soul Calibur game but by yourself with a big Weapon Master mode. You'll find numerous quests on the world map screen where you will defeat enemies and be able to collect equipment or materials during the battles to improve or customize your character's equipment. Weapon & Equipment can now have elemental attributes that is visible with the colour streaks they leave behind which is being factored into the gameplay. Oh, and it's impossible to ring out or get rung out in this game for some raisin.

─────────────────
◆ INFO
─────────────────

Release / Platform

PSN Store for PS3 systems. Comes out worldwide on the 22nd of April.​

Game Features:

• Elemental attacks: use elemental properties to your advantage. (Fire, Water, Wind, Light and Dark)
  • Weapon arts: new attacks your character can perform in battle which are a kind of combination between the Critical Edge and Brave Edges in SCV.
  • Forge: combine materials to upgrade your equipment. There's a grading system for equipment that goes from S,A,B,C (In JPN Version it's Super Rare, Rare, High Normal and then Normal.)
  • Support characters: gather allies from around the world and utilize them to complete your quest. Call them in battle to let them play the game for you.
  • Events: there will be in-game events to look forward to, these may include special holiday campaigns, character unlock quests or certain achievements.
  • AP System: The game is time-limited by a points system, which depletes every time you attempt a mission.
Pricing:
It's Free-to-play and download. There are in-game purchases of AP Potions, Continue Tickets, Equipment Treasure Chests and Upgrades however. Don't know yet how they're going to be priced but the Japanese release priced some things as:​

AP Potions​

・AP Potion x1 (100 yen)
・AP Potion x11 set (1000 yen)

Continue Ticket​

・Continue Ticket x1 (100 yen)
・Continue Ticket x11 set (1000 yen)

Equipment​

・Buy 1 Item in a Treasure Chest (300FP - You gain FP by using Support Characters)
※ You only get either a pair of Prisoner shirts or Prisoner Pants if you get this if I remember right.

・Buy 6 Equipment in a Treasure chest (1500 yen) - You will get one (S) Super Rare rank equipment, five (A) Rare equipment and 1 accessory from it
※NOTE: You can get identical items from this if you plan on buying it.

・Buy 1 equipment in a Treasure chest (300 yen) - one (A) Rare level equipment.

Storage Upgrades​

・ Buy 10 more space in the Equipment Box & Accessory Box. (300 yen) [Maximum amount is 200 however]
・ Buy 10 more room for Support Characters (300 yen) [Maximum limit of 100]

─────────────────
◆ ROSTER
─────────────────

Heishiro Mitsurugi - Trailer

soulcalibur-lost-swor6rl8y.jpg

Siegfried Schtauffen - Trailer

img_ss_04dnztf.jpg

Sophitia Alexandra - Trailer

soulcalibur-lost-swori8ay4.jpg

Pyhrra Alexandra - Trailer

img_ss_120eqi5.jpg

Astaroth - Trailer

img_ss_163exhn.jpg

Nightmare - Trailer

006rckca.jpg

Ivy Valentine - Trailer

img_ss_1948zia.jpg

Hildegard von Krone - Trailer

20140312soularchive_00kr46.jpg

Taki - Trailer

img_ss_27ita3z.jpg

─────────────────
◆ LINKS
─────────────────

<Official Site>

<Facebook>

<Twitter>

<Bandai Namco Games EUROPE YouTube>

<Trophies>

sclskeyarttakixlcm2.jpg

Slygmous

Wow I forgot this even existed.
I'll try it out once it appears, I don't have any SC games on my PS3 yet anyway.

Coxy

Eternally Retold Use AP Potions in one play session. Bronze
Thirst for Power Expand your Equipment Box. Bronze

do you have to buy paid items to get those? lame if so

AAK

Nice job with the OT Flying Wonkey :)

How long does it take to replenish AP if you don't want to pay?

Xav

I'll play it because I love SoulCalibur but I still think Namco are idiots for not doing DLC for SoulCalibur V.

Is this game supposed to be Soul Caliber Legends 2?

It's a free to play version of SoulCalibur V. You're honestly better off buying a used copy of SoulCalibur V than playing this to be honest.

EctoPrime

I played a bit of the japanese version and it is a very poor imitation of edge master mode. Namco seems to think destroy x number of enemies with a single health bar is a great idea for the entire game. No ringouts, defeat the enemy before succumbing to poison or use a certain attack as victory conditions.

FTF

Holy shit, I've literally never heard of this and it comes out tomorrow? o_O
Like me some SC though and always enjoyed the single player mission modes, so may have to get this.

SoldnerKei

so Namco, can we have Sophitia and Taki in SCV... perhaps Seong Mina... you know a game with actual VS mode? mmm no? darn it namco... fucking darn it

kunonabi

Happy to have Taki back but the rest of it sounds like crap. oh well, hopefully we get a Soul Calibur VI at some point.

Nimby

Banned
You want Taki and Sophitia? Play Lost Swords! A game no one wanted featuring all the characters you love! Mina and Talim DLC coming soon!

"Single player Soul Calibur, just what we've been asking for......"

You say this, but people threw fucking fits at SCV's launch because there wasn't weapon master mode or some of the other single player offerings from SC2/3, etc.

Nimby

Banned

You say this, but people threw fucking fits at SCV's launch because there wasn't weapon master mode or some of the other single player offerings from SC2/3, etc.

Which is why the next game should have a good balance. The only reason for the lackluster SP in SCV was the time constraints.

Zephyrus

Banned
So, let's see.

No Hwang, Li Long, ZWEI, Patroklos, Xiba, Kilik, Rock, Maxi, Cervantes, Zasalamel, Raphael, Yun-Seong, Seung-Mina and Talim.

Yeah. Not interested. AT ALL.

Out of all the characters I use, only Nightmare and Mitsurugi are back.

I just can't believe how Namco keeps ruining what once used to be, hands down, the best 3D fighting game.

I actually wished TTT2 sold less than Soul Calibur 5. Maybe then, Namco would actually work to release a decent game which didn't have shitty guest characters to appeal to the imbeciles who don't care about the series, and wasn't barebones to be released before their shiny best IP evah, Tekken.

Zephyrus

Banned

I threw fits at the character roster.

But then again, ever since SCIV I've been throwing fits at the roster.

In SCIV, it REEEEAAAAAALLY pissed me off how, out of all the reworked characters for the arcade version of SCIII, only Amy was in SCIV. No Hwang and no Li Long. Amy. That's what we got.

Badass Korean fighter who was the only one to have a draw against Mitsurugi in the series? Nope.

Two Nunchakus wielder who had a badass moveset? Nope.

Enjoy your Gothic Loli character. SMH

Then in SCV... cuts galore. You get cut, he gets cut, everyone gets cut.

I was looking at 4 and 5 in a store, thinking I need to get one since I haven't bought a Soul Calibur since 2, but I just don't really want to play either. I would happily buy a game with the characters and single player modes of 3, the graphics of 4 and 5, and the balance of the first.

Single player SoulCalibur, when done right, is awesome. This doesn't really look that appealing right now, but I'll give it a try.

Does anyone know if you get any bonus stuff for having the new version of SoulCalibur II, like they did in Japan?

Sayah

I'll see if I can download it. Thanks for the OT.
So, let's see.

No Hwang, Li Long, ZWEI, Patroklos, Xiba, Kilik, Rock, Maxi, Cervantes, Zasalamel, Raphael, Yun-Seong, Seung-Mina and Talim.

Yeah. Not interested. AT ALL.

Out of all the characters I use, only Nightmare and Mitsurugi are back.

I just can't believe how Namco keeps ruining what once used to be, hands down, the best 3D fighting game.

I actually wished TTT2 sold less than Soul Calibur 5.
Maybe then, Namco would actually work to release a decent game which didn't have shitty guest characters to appeal to the imbeciles who don't care about the series, and wasn't barebones to be released before their shiny best IP evah, Tekken.

That is one of the worst wishes you could ever make. TTT2 already didn't as well enough as it should have. Actually wishing low sales on one of the best games from last gen?

Astarte

I have a real weakness for Korean characters in any fighting game (aside from Juri. Oog) and Talim, so having them cut hurt me. I'll play this game only to prep myself for Seong Mina, I guess.

Skilletor

I threw fits at the character roster.

But then again, ever since SCIV I've been throwing fits at the roster.

In SCIV, it REEEEAAAAAALLY pissed me off how, out of all the reworked characters for the arcade version of SCIII, only Amy was in SCIV. No Hwang and no Li Long. Amy. That's what we got.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...isses-sales-target-soul-calibur-5-doing-fine/

Given how much effort they obviously put in to TTT2 and how little into SC5, I can only hope this means that SC6 will get maybe half the effort put into it as the next Tekken. But, then again, SC5 is a game that almost didn't happen, even though SC4 sold over 2 million. http://www.shacknews.com/article/57226/soul-calibur-4-sells-22

I really don't understand why this series is treated so poorly by Namco.

Re: this game. This game looks like ass. But it has Taki. I am torn.

Zephyrus

Banned
I'll see if I can download it. Thanks for the OT.

That is one of the worst wishes you could ever make. TTT2 already didn't as well enough as it should have. Actually wishing low sales on one of the best games from last gen?

if it meant that namco would focus more on soulcalibur than tekken?

Why, yes I would.

Sayah

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...isses-sales-target-soul-calibur-5-doing-fine/

Given how much effort they obviously put in to TTT2 and how little into SC5, I can only hope this means that SC6 will get maybe half the effort put into it as the next Tekken.

Re: this game. This game looks like ass. But it has Taki. I am torn.

SCV = January release.
TTT2 = September release.

TTT2 only 0.2 million behind at that point. Not to mention arcade revenue.

Yeah..............

I'm sure there's a universe where both franchises can get a lot of love and support. You don't have to wish for the demise of the other one.

I'm also pretty sure Harada also had a role to play in making SCV even happen. Because I do think Namco wasn't thinking of even making that.

Especially if they went as far as making this.

L_4ef98cc605f0d.jpg

And yet people like to downplay Harada regardless "for taking away funds from Soul Calibur and putting them towards Tekken" without any knowledge of the internal workings of Namco.

if it meant that namco would focus more on soulcalibur than tekken?

Why, yes I would.

The success of Tekken is only a good thing for Soul Calibur. That means fighting games are doing well and Harada, as the chief producer of fighting games at Namco, can continue pushing for more.

Skilletor

SCV = January release.
TTT2 = September release.

TTT2 only 0.2 million behind at that point. Not to mention arcade revenue.

Yeah..............

I'm sure there's a universe where both franchises can get a lot of love and support. You don't have to wish for the demise of the other one.

I'm also pretty sure Harada also had a role to play in making SCV even happen. Because I do think Namco wasn't thinking of even making that.

Especially if they went as far as making this.

L_4ef98cc605f0d.jpg

And yet people like to downplay Harada regardless "for taking away funds from Namco" without any knowledge of the internal workings of Namco.

You seem to have a complex or something. I'm not comparing the sells or insinuating anything about Tekken. What I'm saying is that SoulCalibur 5 sold comparable numbers to TTT2, despite the latter having more effort put into it. SoulCalibur series sells very well and for some reason gets treated like ass. I've never mentioned Harada. Obviously Tekken is popular in arcades and is their money maker, but I just don't understand why SC is treated like some unimportant property.

SC5 was obviously a gutted game and still sold really well. My point was that I hope they see that and put even a fraction of the effort into the next SC (if we even get one) as they did TTT2.

Like you said, SC5 almost wasn't made? Why? SC4 sold over 2 million copies and they had to convince people internally that a sequel would be a good idea? lol

Sayah

You seem to have a complex or something. I'm not comparing the sells or insinuating anything about Tekken. What I'm saying is that SoulCalibur 5 sold comparable numbers to TTT2, despite the latter having more effort put into it. SoulCalibur series sells very well and for some reason gets treated like ass. I've never mentioned Harada. Obviously Tekken is popular in arcades and is their money maker, but I just don't understand why SC is treated like some unimportant property.

SC5 was obviously a gutted game and still sold really well. My point was that I hope they see that and put even a fraction of the effort into the next SC (if we even get one) as they did TTT2.

The entirety of that post wasn't directed at you. More so speaking in general since certain other people were wishing demise on certain franchises.

SC series has generally always sold well. I think they just don't know which direction to take it.

I don't care how rushed people think SCV was, it's still got a ton of content (not as much as its predecessors but still a lot). It has A tier netcode. It's the prettiest fighter of last gen. And it clearly shows the game had a big enough budget.

Shinta

Banned
SC V is nearly perfect as a multi-player fighter, so I think having a standalone single player addition like this is actually pretty exciting. I just wish the roster was bigger. None of my mains are in there.

I have no idea why people act like no effort went into SC V. It's honestly the best SC game we've gotten in 12 years. It has near perfect netcode. You can record all your matches and rewatch them easily. It has a better character creation mode than almost any RPG I've ever seen. The lobby options are my favorite in a fighter ever.

After replaying SC 2 HD for a good while, I'm not even 100% sure I think SC2 is still the best one. It might be SC V.

So uh...why in the heck is Sophie AND Pyrrha in this and neither version of Patroklos? Pyrrha is pretty much a better Sophie unless you really can't get past her like it or hate it moe gimmick.

I probably will pass on this anyway because I like playing against people online, but the roster is pretty odd.

Top Bottom