• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Skilletor

How's the training mode? Can you record dummy? For a long time?

There was a video awhile back showing you could do lots of cool stuff in training mode (like recording a dummy).

Well its only a waste if you didnt have any fun. And if you didnt have any fun I dont see why you would play fighters anyway. I didn't know anyone in arcades, so I only played against strangers. I grew up in an area with no fighting game comp and played every single fighting game I could play just because I like the genre. Otherwise I would have never known about great games like Tobal 2 or Guilty Gear. This is what I referred to as old school, it wasn't intended to be elitest.

Garou has online for XBLA and it sucks (hence my point that online is not the end all be all). But since it has online I assume you have tried it. VS and Garou are on GGPO as well and have been for years.

Tobal 2 is the secret greatest fighter of all time. :)

And yeah, that's kind of my point. I play Garou and VS all the time because I can play online. If I couldn't, I wouldn't.

Sorry, I'm doing grammar homework and diagramming sentences doesn't make for happy posting. Sorry about that.

d0c_zaius

There was a video awhile back showing you could do lots of cool stuff in training mode (like recording a dummy).

Tobal 2 is the secret greatest fighter of all time. :)

And yeah, that's kind of my point. I play Garou and VS all the time because I can play online. If I couldn't, I wouldn't.

Sorry, I'm doing grammar homework and diagramming sentences doesn't make for happy posting. Sorry about that.

Well damn you just became my best friend. Tobal 2 is my favorite fighter of all time, no doubt.

Sorry if I came off like an arrogant prick. I used to hate FGC guys like that and it looks like in my old age I'm becoming one of them. Before online I would just play them forever alone as I lived in a non-gaming area. Living in LA now gives me a ton of options for local play, so I forget that some people have literally no other option.

But I still want my SP modes :(

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Well its only a waste if you didnt have any fun. And if you didnt have any fun I dont see why you would play fighters anyway. I didn't know anyone in arcades, so I only played against strangers. I grew up in an area with no fighting game comp and played every single fighting game I could play just because I like the genre. Otherwise I would have never known about great games like Tobal 2 or Guilty Gear. This is what I referred to as old school, it wasn't intended to be elitest.

Garou has online for XBLA and it sucks (hence my point that online is not the end all be all). But since it has online I assume you have tried it. VS and Garou are on GGPO as well and have been for years. But whatever I'll be the bad guy I guess.

Generally, you get a breakdown like this when it comes to playing a game competitively.

Face to face > online > CPU.

Playing the AI encourages far too many bad habits, prevents the development of a mind game and generates unrealistic expectations of what a human player would do.

You do get online players that transition to high level offline play with minimal trouble for that matter, so writing online off entirely is myopically stupid at best.

CPS2

I'm just finding more and more stuff they've taken away from yoshi. I think I'm gonna have to main someone else, this just feels like a massive nerf hammer. Maybe it feels like SC2 cos they've taken away all the moves they added in 3 and 4 >_<

Had a decent session this morning, Aeon looks very cool, he's got moves that use meter that you basically can't avoid other than stepping, as once you block the first hit the rest is unblockable, and way faster than most other unblockables. I think that's going to catch a lot of people off.

Still not really sure who to use, but I'll probably try out Viola first. She looks very original.

d0c_zaius

Generally, you get a breakdown like this when it comes to playing a game competitively.

Face to face > online > CPU.

Playing the AI encourages far too many bad habits, prevents the development of a mind game and generates unrealistic expectations of what a human player would do.

You do get online players that transition to high level offline play with minimal trouble for that matter, so writing online off entirely is myopically stupid at best.

I said nothing about writing it off, more that it is too much of a focus sometimes. My diagram would look like this:

Face to Face> Training Mode > Challenge Modes > Online > Arcade mode

Usually arcade mode is just for unlocking purposes anyway.

If anything, Online encourages bad habits (hence the xbox online warrior memes, flowcharts, etc). But I learn a lot by going into training mode and turning the CPU to highest and just trying out stuff to see what works, especially for games like UMVC3. However online players transitioning to offline seems not the norm, and is especially troublesome for myself to go back and forth.

Back onto SC5, hopefully places start selling it urleh tomorrow.

LowParry

I presumed online was a pretty big deal. At least out here in the States where arcades are a dying breed. I know there can be local players that meet and play up but that's not always the case everywhere. For me, I have to kinda rely on online as my go to option with fighters. I'm not looking to be some tournament player or anything, but having the option of playing players efficiently is really nice to have.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
holy crap. when i was leaving SF this morning I almost left my bag full of SCV copies at the hotel lobby, i had to go back via taxi ($100 later) after I was already at the airport lolol.

happy day to me

LowParry

holy crap. when i was leaving SF this morning I almost left my bag full of SCV copies at the hotel lobby, i had to go back via taxi ($100 later) after I was already at the airport lolol.

happy day to me

Think of the happy children who'd of got to play earrrrrrrly. Come drop some free copies over here at the SLC airport. :D

So is Seung Mina definitely out?

Some of the new characters look interesting. I think I am most interested in Hilde (I know she was in 4, but I haven't played SC since 2 ;P).

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I said nothing about writing it off, more that it is too much of a focus sometimes. My diagram would look like this:

Face to Face> Training Mode > Challenge Modes > Online > Arcade mode

Usually arcade mode is just for unlocking purposes anyway.

If anything, Online encourages bad habits (hence the xbox online warrior memes, flowcharts, etc). But I learn a lot by going into training mode and turning the CPU to highest and just trying out stuff to see what works, especially for games like UMVC3. However online players transitioning to offline seems not the norm, and is especially troublesome for myself to go back and forth.
Online's not super useful for maintaining high level play, but it is good for developing a player than wants to learn a game's system and mind games in the broad strokes. (Face it, most people online or off are scrubs and will play like garbage/flowchart from now til the end of time unless they actively want to improve.)

I'd rank challenge modes behind arcade mode personally. They usually stuff in overcomplicated relatively useless but still pissily annoying combos. ;) Only thing less useful than both are survival modes which ultimately amount to you finding AI exploits.

Back onto SC5, hopefully places start selling it urleh tomorrow.
I'm just hoping Best Buy ships it faster than they did VF5. (Took 16 days via standard shipping to get my copy.)

Quite a few people on The Big Two stream tonight said they were looking forward to it (LIJoe plays Ivy). Spook said he hopes people take to it so he can stream it.

V_Arnold

People that play fighting games seriously only use online to learn matchups, the key is still actually playing locally with people. Considering that most online is crap (minus two games and GGPO), its perfectly reasonable to not give an F about online. Sorry but only focusing on one aspect of the game that will always be off thanks to lag and such is a lowering of standards. There are a few companies like Aksys that commit to evolving the online experience, but that isnt the norm.

No need to get offended (and I don't see what living in the US has to do with anything), I'm simply stating people not raised on arcades or actually going to peoples houses to play competitive fighters wouldn't know any better. Its an unfortunate aspect of the modern fighting game scene that people focus on bullet points instead of enjoying the game regardless.

But if you talk to anyone that plays fighters, online generally is a joke. To only focus on this while disregarding the quality of the rest of the product seems silly.

You somehow managed to entirely miss my point there. I stated that the way I use online (people who live in the same country, our distance is 100-150km at max), there is NO difference between online and offline. Believing otherwise is delusional. I am not a hypersensitive 15 year old anymore, and I cannot tell the difference between a lagless game in an absolutely good netcoded game (SSFIV or UMVC3 with these distances produce no lag) and an offline game. MAYBE one or two one-frame links would not come out sometimes, but I am not in the level when I do those consistently in offline anyway.

In SSFIV, Viper tk feints were 100% consistent, as were all ultra and SJC timings online. Tell me that that is crap now, please. Sometimes you have to sacrifice ONE frame for the comfort of being able to stay at home and play, and still socialize - and stop gaming once something else comes up that day.

TGMIII

You somehow managed to entirely miss my point there. I stated that the way I use online (people who live in the same country, our distance is 100-150km at max), there is NO difference between online and offline. Believing otherwise is delusional. I am not a hypersensitive 15 year old anymore, and I cannot tell the difference between a lagless game in an absolutely good netcoded game (SSFIV or UMVC3 with these distances produce no lag) and an offline game. MAYBE one or two one-frame links would not come out sometimes, but I am not in the level when I do those consistently in offline anyway.

In SSFIV, Viper tk feints were 100% consistent, as were all ultra and SJC timings online. Tell me that that is crap now, please. Sometimes you have to sacrifice ONE frame for the comfort of being able to stay at home and play, and still socialize - and stop gaming once something else comes up that day.

I'll give you that SF4 is as close to perfect online, in terms of capcom fighters, we've got but it's not 100%. Now I'm not saying that it's unplayable or that it's impossible to play at your best but there's a definite timing difference that you have to get used to. UMVC3 for sure is waaaay worse online that it is offline and honestly if you can't see it then I don't know what to tell you, it's there for sure. Try playing offline for a long time then go online and try to do mags ROM or grav loops, you'll drop it most of the time until you get used to the timing differences as opposed to someone who plays mostly online and is used to the delay (as small as it may be)

Like I said you can play your best, just look at guys like wolfkrone and latif, but saying there's NO difference is crazy.

V_Arnold

I'll give you that SF4 is as close to perfect online, in terms of capcom fighters, we've got but it's not 100%. Now I'm not saying that it's unplayable or that it's impossible to play at your best but there's a definite timing difference that you have to get used to. UMVC3 for sure is waaaay worse online that it is offline and honestly if you can't see it then I don't know what to tell you, it's there for sure. Try playing offline for a long time then go online and try to do mags ROM or grav loops, you'll drop it most of the time until you get used to the timing differences as opposed to someone who plays mostly online and is used to the delay (as small as it may be)

Like I said you can play your best, just look at guys like wolfkrone and latif, but saying there's NO difference is crazy.

With that distance and my abilities, I perceive no notable difference - but you are right that of course there will be differences due to the nature of online play. Anyway, we agree, and I always felt like "what you combo" is always secondary to how you footsie and what your overall mind-game/strategy is, and that is completely unchanged online - except for if you know that you cant punish something that you theoretically could offline.

Yeah, that really is super lame.

For all the people that say they don't care about story in fighting games, it's interesting to see how many get upset when it's actually gone. Namco really dropped the ball on a bunch of aspects for this game. :/
This is looking like Namco's KOF XII except it actually has very good gameplay.

The online had better be up to par...

alstein

I presumed online was a pretty big deal. At least out here in the States where arcades are a dying breed. I know there can be local players that meet and play up but that's not always the case everywhere. For me, I have to kinda rely on online as my go to option with fighters. I'm not looking to be some tournament player or anything, but having the option of playing players efficiently is really nice to have.

It is. There's just a small percentage of folks, many of whom aren't even that good to begin with, who whine about online's existance because they think it makes them look hardcore in the FGC.

I've even heard a couple of locals say they'd pull online from games just to pull it.

I do think good online is a threat to the tourney scene, as it's much more convenient to play a game at 5am without pants then it is to drive a bunch of miles, wait a bunch of hours, pay a bunch of money just to play a few times. I'm not a top tier player, but I do think I'm respectable at most games.

Really, the next step in fighting games is getting to the point where games have really good online, and efforts like Capcom's are considered unacceptable.

soakrates

I actually think online has been a pretty important factor in the fighting game boom, and that solid netplay is going to become more and more important in future FG releases. The next console generation should be very interesting, what with the possibility of hardware being able to support GGPO-quality netcode in current-gen fighters.

That said, offline will probably always be the ideal environment for high-level play, and anyone who works to get good at a game only to play online is robbing themselves of a really great time.

Skilletor

With that distance and my abilities, I perceive no notable difference - but you are right that of course there will be differences due to the nature of online play. Anyway, we agree, and I always felt like "what you combo" is always secondary to how you footsie and what your overall mind-game/strategy is, and that is completely unchanged online - except for if you know that you cant punish something that you theoretically could offline.

How is "what I combo" and "How I foostsie" not directly related to how much lag I perceive and what I will naturally go for in optimal conditions? Lag changes strategy. It changes how I block, move, punish, what I think I can land, and each of these things is directly related to one another. It's not like combos and strategy are two different parts of playing a fighting game.

Some people don't notice lag on large 60 inch tvs with all the post processing stuff turned on, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

LowParry

So SCIV online. 4 - 5 connection. Damn. Terrrrrrrible. I certainly hope V is better quality. I like their online idea's. Hopefully we'll see people get it over the weekend and we'll get a better impression on netcode.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Yeah, that really is super lame.

For all the people that say they don't care about story in fighting games, it's interesting to see how many get upset when it's actually gone. Namco really dropped the ball on a bunch of aspects for this game. :/

There is a story mode...

V_Arnold

How is "what I combo" and "How I foostsie" not directly related to how much lag I perceive and what I will naturally go for in optimal conditions? Lag changes strategy. It changes how I block, move, punish, what I think I can land, and each of these things is directly related to one another. It's not like combos and strategy are two different parts of playing a fighting game.

Some people don't notice lag on large 60 inch tvs with all the post processing stuff turned on, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

I do not have any idea how I could be any clearer on how FOR ME, playing against people VERY CLOSE online (literally only a few or max 100km away!), with a good netcode, the footsie and the strategy department does NOT change by the added one or two frames. Only the things that are dependant on me reacting frame-precise (i.e. stupid reversal window, one-frame links, etc) are affected by that MINIMAL delay that is not even comparable to the "lag" that some TV's display to you when set up wrong.

I am not arguing for bad online modes or east coast vs west coast SCIV (lol) online experience. I am arguing for the BEST POSSIBLE online situations (the one I described a few times already :p), compared to offline.

TDLink

Also, apparently Kilik gets Kali-Yuga when he gets Xiba style and there may or may not be some special stuff he can do when he gets that stance? (Not sure on this because it seems unclear)

Here is some small amount of footage of Kilik with Kali-Yuga...can't really tell if there is anything special going on here otherwise though apart from Kali-Yuga being sort of glowy-looking...granted this isn't much video to go on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHwYWoOaU7E&t=9m0s

Kilik sporting Leixia's style, so I suppose this debunks the all male mimic rumor.

I noticed that too, not sure what that means.

NeonZ

You can put textures on clothing, but can you put designs/tats on clothing?

One of the early CaS videos showed a tiger, IIRC, drawing being placed on a kimono.

Edit: It's that very first CaS video. It shows kanji placed on top of clothes and, after they're done with the main part, and quickly show various characters they show a tiger drawing being placed and resized on a kimono, as well as several drawings (leaves, bird) placed on a dress.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Maxx Dreamkiller and Chuck the Landslide are planning to produce a series of tutorial vids for SC5 called "Quick Steps." They've released a first episode using SC4's training mode, but it's a good watch for the basics about figuring out combos, tech traps, frame traps, etc. while practicing.

http://youtu.be/d0u7_T_clUY

They also talk about leaked info covering some slick tweaks to SC5's training mode. Such as...

- list of basic combos, you can tell the CPU to do them
- CPU action: post recovery Guard and Ukemi
- switch stages in menu
- choose location in ring (near wall, middle, edge, etc.)
- CPU action after blocking 1, 2, or 3 attacks
- lag emulation a la MvC3

...and other cool stuff. SC4 already had a robust training mode, so this is great.

Fourth picture in, that's the one I'm referring to.

Aren't he and Edgemaster using the same style in all pics they're together? The weapon certainly doesn't look like a Jian to me, and in that pic Edgemaster is using Mitsurugi's style and his weapon is pretty similar to Kilik's.

OSHAN

Aren't he and Edgemaster using the same style in all pics they're together? The weapon certainly doesn't look like a Jian to me, and in that pic Edgemaster is using Mitsurugi's style and his weapon is pretty similar to Kilik's.

Ah, you're right, that's one of Mitsurugi's moves.

Rumor still holds.

Monocle

So hyped about the expanded CaS. I've been aware of the tattoo and print options for a while, and I still get excited every time I see a new screenshot of a character plastered with wacky designs. That texturing feature along with the ability to adjust the size and position of certain items is such a tremendous improvement over previous versions of the mode (on consoles, anyway) that I seriously won't know where to begin. And I thought I was addicted to character creation in SC4, lol.

If I stop posting for like five years starting this Tuesday, I assure you all that I'm alive and glued to my television. In other news, Kilik looks fuckawesome. I don't even care that he's a mimic now.

They should've went Shinnok route for Killik and set commands to manually change styles for few seconds.
Yeah.

Top Bottom