• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur VI - Character trailer

Typhares

Some returning characters presented here and a newcomer called Grøh.
I haven't really touched the franchise since the dreamcast days but the games looks good.

KevinKeene

Banned
Looks okay. Graphically not impressive though. Xianghua looks cute. Tbh I'd only be interested in Switch-version featuring Link.

Sidenote: Seeing Kilik reminds me: how do we still not have a staff fighter in Smash Bros? Krystal plz.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Looks okay. Graphically not impressive though. Xianghua looks cute. Tbh I'd only be interested in Switch-version featuring Link.

Sidenote: Seeing Kilik reminds me: how do we still not have a staff fighter in Smash Bros? Krystal plz.
It looks good, not sure what you're expecting graphically when even look that good on Switch anyway , well it might.
I guess it's the art style.

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
It looks good, not sure what you're expecting graphically when even look that good on Switch anyway , well it might.
I guess it's the art style.

What irks me is how visual damage to the floor disappears after 2-3 seconds. Stuff like that should be permanent in a PS4-game that's not open world.

Osukaa

Omg the English VA is cringy af
Yeah I had to rewatch it in JP voices twice just to get the awful English VA out of my head. Come on Namco you can do better than that... hopefully..

Game looks like fun though I wouldn't mind jumping back into Soulcaliber just to see the crazy outfits that they have in store for Voldo.

thelastword

Banned
Looks good, clean, good AA, but a little blurry, no bullshots here though. I wish they did more with facial animations and character faces. Clothing and physics look good, but I did expect a bit more from Namco this gen though. Backrounds look good, lots of DOF and MB, but I think i expected a bit more with character, textures and particle effetcs. I even think Tekken got a downgrade from some of the earlier trailers, especially with effetcs and textures......I hope this game is higher than 1080p on PRO. Tekken at 1080p on PRO and 900p on PS4 Vanilla is all types of wrong. Resolution and great IQ does alot for that game. Play T7 at 4k 60fps on PC or anything higher than 1080p with good AA and AF and it's clear as day. I hope the SC team gives us a higher resolution and better IQ....

Muchacho

Switching to Japanese voice would be the first thing I do when I get SCVI as I do with all other Japanese games, especially fighters. The english is always unbearable.

Groh looks very anime and also very meh. I hope they put some focus on original characters and bring Li Long back.

Xiangua does look cute but it kinda looks like a ps3 game. I don't see any improvement graphically.

I'm still happy I'm finally getting a Soulcalibur. Please make it good Namco.

Game looks like fun though I wouldn't mind jumping back into Soulcaliber just to see the crazy outfits that they have in store for Voldo.

Did you mean Ivy?

KevinKeene

Banned
Surprised at the comments on the English voices here. I liked it. But i also loved the English voice-acting in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. *shrugs*

Last edited:

Graven

Wouldn't be suprised if Siegfried was DLC.

Despite the setting being around Soul Calibur, will cross my fingers for Raphael.

Osukaa

Switching to Japanese voice would be the first thing I do when I get SCVI as I do with all other Japanese games, especially fighters. The english is always unbearable.

Groh looks very anime and also very meh. I hope they put some focus on original characters and bring Li Long back.

Xiangua does look cute but it kinda looks like a ps3 game. I don't see any improvement graphically.

I'm still happy I'm finally getting a Soulcalibur. Please make it good Namco.

Did you mean Ivy?

..... & Ivy lol. I bat for the other team but I still do love me some Ivy lol the ridiculousness of her and Voldo's costumes alone make we want to buy it.

Muchacho

..... & Ivy lol. I bat for the other team but I still do love me some Ivy lol the ridiculousness of her and Voldo's costumes alone make we want to buy it.
My apologies. I do like the crazy costumes but would like even more for them to bring back original Soul Edge costumes.

Set before Soul Calibur, so Siegfried is Nightmare
Siegfried has always been Nightmare since his bad ending in Soul Edge until SCIII. However he was present in both Soul Edge and Soulcalibur. If I remember correctly, he was absent only in Soulcalibur II and appeared as Nightmare's alt costume.

Osukaa

My apologies. I do like the crazy costumes but would like even more for them to bring back original Soul Edge costumes.

Siegfried has always been Nightmare since his bad ending in Soul Edge until SCIII. However he was present in both Soul Edge and Soulcalibur. If I remember correctly, he was absent only in Soulcalibur II and appeared as Nightmare's alt costume.

No apologies needed at all :) I must say though I agree with you 100% on bringing back the Soul Edge costumes for the characters who were in that game. To be honest I prefer the game to be more like Soul Edge as I prefer the whole look and feel of that game. I haven't been crazy for any of the Soul Caliber title's that much even though I bought a couple of them. I guess its cause i'm still salty at Soul Caliber for them replacing Li Long with Maxi (ughhh) in future installments excluding SCIII.
latest
latest

(I love the old school art style of Soul Blade)

Also as far as Siegfried is concerned his whole new look with him looking like a prettier version of Fabio just does not fit what the original character looked like in Soul Blade. I prefer my Siegfried to be the short haired version as the new designs just seem way to much of a stretch for me personally and the whole Nightmare version of him looks so lame with the Big T-Rex hand. This is just based on my opinion but wonder if anyone feels the same or has the exact opposite views.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yeah I had to rewatch it in JP voices twice just to get the awful English VA out of my head. Come on Namco you can do better than that... hopefully..

For all I know the Japanese VO is just as cringey. I don't speak Japanese to know the difference.

Muchacho

No apologies needed at all :) I must say though I agree with you 100% on bringing back the Soul Edge costumes for the characters who were in that game. To be honest I prefer the game to be more like Soul Edge as I prefer the whole look and feel of that game. I haven't been crazy for any of the Soul Caliber title's that much even though I bought a couple of them. I guess its cause i'm still salty at Soul Caliber for them replacing Li Long with Maxi (ughhh) in future installments excluding SCIII.
latest
latest

(I love the old school art style of Soul Blade)

Also as far as Siegfried is concerned his whole new look with him looking like a prettier version of Fabio just does not fit what the original character looked like in Soul Blade. I prefer my Siegfried to be the short haired version as the new designs just seem way to much of a stretch for me personally and the whole Nightmare version of him looks so lame with the Big T-Rex hand. This is just based on my opinion but wonder if anyone feels the same or has the exact opposite views.

I've always been for a Soul Edge remake. I know it'll never happen but hey. A man can dream. It had everything the latest entries in the series fail to have. Firstly it had and still has the greatest intro video of all time. The characters had great looking believable costumes for the era, dynamic day night cycles on stages, weapons taking damage and breaking leaving fighters barehanded. Arcade mode with good and bad endings for all fighters, the Edge Master Mode where you acquire new weapons with different attributes which can be used in other modes, and the best soundtrack you'll get in a fighting game X 3.

Li Long and Hwang were secret unlockable characters in SCIII but if I remember correctly they had character creation movesets so it was done kinda half assed.
I feel the same way about Hwang being replaced by Yun Seong. So I hope he will make his return in VI.

Siegfried's alt costume in SCIII was not bad if you like the short hair. Hahaaa at Fabio. I guess when the movie comes Siegfried will be sorted.
hqdefault.jpg

To me this one looks great. Not sure if it's official SC art.
e419933331de9b819c0bb7229d21f3be.jpg

Valonquar

I've will just be a giant breast with a sword at this point. Overall the graphics don't feel right, and those English voices are horrible.

MDSLKTR

I was hoping this game's looks would be a bit more impressive. It still looks alright though.
I miss that age where Japanese fighting games had the best graphics in the business. T7 is on ue4 and its bad, injustice wipes the floor with it. I'm excited for SC but the lack of budget is apparent, which sucks... it is the soul calibur legacy we're talking about after all.

Osukaa

I've always been for a Soul Edge remake. I know it'll never happen but hey. A man can dream. It had everything the latest entries in the series fail to have. Firstly it had and still has the greatest intro video of all time. The characters had great looking believable costumes for the era, dynamic day night cycles on stages, weapons taking damage and breaking leaving fighters barehanded. Arcade mode with good and bad endings for all fighters, the Edge Master Mode where you acquire new weapons with different attributes which can be used in other modes, and the best soundtrack you'll get in a fighting game X 3.

Li Long and Hwang were secret unlockable characters in SCIII but if I remember correctly they had character creation movesets so it was done kinda half assed.
I feel the same way about Hwang being replaced by Yun Seong. So I hope he will make his return in VI.

Siegfried's alt costume in SCIII was not bad if you like the short hair. Hahaaa at Fabio. I guess when the movie comes Siegfried will be sorted.
hqdefault.jpg

To me this one looks great. Not sure if it's official SC art.
e419933331de9b819c0bb7229d21f3be.jpg

Wow you said exactly everything that I feel regarding the differences in Soul Blade and Soul Caliber. The OP was so great to me that I would let it play over and over cause I loved it so much haa haa. The endings were great to because they were interactive and depending on the actions you did during the ending you would get either the good or the bad ending depending on the character. I don't think endings have been done on many other fighting games to my knowledge. Voldo's was particularly weird where you had to speed up him rubbing his face on the Soul Edge. Also the soundtrack was perfect. My favorite was the one that had the bagpipes in it ( I think it was that instrument). Also I like the Siegfried pic you posted that has the more scruffy look. I think that makes more sense since regarding how he is/was possessed by Soul Edge. The weapons were awesome to my favorites were Rocks golden axe where it would heal like crazy and Hwang's invisible sword that was really long. It would be nice if they toned it down from the last parts and added more along the lines of the original as far as the endings and such. I also don't care for the character creation options as id rather just have different costumes and weapons w/stats for the roster.

NahaNago

I miss that age where Japanese fighting games had the best graphics in the business. T7 is on ue4 and its bad, injustice wipes the floor with it. I'm excited for SC but the lack of budget is apparent, which sucks... it is the soul calibur legacy we're talking about after all.

Yeah , i was a bit disappointed with how T7 looks as well. I keep hoping that one of these Japanese fighting games will set the bar on graphics without having to resort to some anime style to pull it off.

levyjl1988

Banned
I wonder who the special guest characters will be for this one.
I hope they make SoulCalibur IV and SoulCalibur V backwards compatible for Xbox One.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wonder who the special guest characters will be for this one.
I hope they make SoulCalibur IV and SoulCalibur V backwards compatible for Xbox One.
Me too. I bought V a couple of months ago because someone on GAF said it was BC on Xbox. After I bought it the did a my bad. Would like play it.

I'm kinda skeptical actually. I was hoping the series would return to its historic roots with its art style ala SoulBlade/Edge and Sc1. This looks kinda like SC5.5 (same character models taken from SC5 re-rendered in UE4) especially with Sophitia (she appeared as an apparition in SC5). The announcement trailer (although I was really happy the game was announced after years of speculation) looked underwhelming. I wasn't a fan of all the flashes and explosions on screen. SC is not Street Fighter/KoF yet I wonder why Bandai Namco are turning their 3D fighters into 2D games. Same thing happened with Tekken 7. What made the classics great were the animations, the attention to detail on the characters, the backgrounds and their personality. It didn't need supers or anything else. I saw a 'leaked' character roster and apparently there are a few guest characters appearing in the game (Jago for Xbox One and some Bloodborne character for PS4) Ugh.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I've played this series since Rock was the man with the axe and you could fight in the tall grass. The DC port of SC I got at launch and I followed this series to their special guest characters and critical arts.

It's awesome, but I feel like I'm going to treat this the same way I did with IV and V. The graphics are awesome, but I could feel this exact feeling if I played my copy of V right now on PS3. They could have done a remaster of V.

Kilik is back! I always like this series when it comes down to a technical side. The advanced combos and so forth. I love the sounds, the story, the characters, and etc of Soul Calibur. I want something unique about the game. The Star Wars characters in IV didn't exactly make me want to go back. I'd rather go back to my HD copy of 2 and play as Spawn.

Creating Jin Kazama was fun, but after that I sat the game down for a couple years. I'd love some sort of meat. This looks like the other games. Maybe that's a good thing. That's what typically works. Who knows? I want to get VI, but I don't want to get stone walled into thinking this is just a repeat of their last game.

Muchacho

Wow you said exactly everything that I feel regarding the differences in Soul Blade and Soul Caliber. The OP was so great to me that I would let it play over and over cause I loved it so much haa haa. The endings were great to because they were interactive and depending on the actions you did during the ending you would get either the good or the bad ending depending on the character. I don't think endings have been done on many other fighting games to my knowledge. Voldo's was particularly weird where you had to speed up him rubbing his face on the Soul Edge. Also the soundtrack was perfect. My favorite was the one that had the bagpipes in it ( I think it was that instrument). Also I like the Siegfried pic you posted that has the more scruffy look. I think that makes more sense since regarding how he is/was possessed by Soul Edge. The weapons were awesome to my favorites were Rocks golden axe where it would heal like crazy and Hwang's invisible sword that was really long. It would be nice if they toned it down from the last parts and added more along the lines of the original as far as the endings and such. I also don't care for the character creation options as id rather just have different costumes and weapons w/stats for the roster.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who appreciates the true genius brought forward in Soul Edge. Yeah you brought that Voldo memory straight back now. It was creepy. To me Siegfried's bad ending hit me the hardest.
I think the song with the bagpipes was the Arranged version of Cervantes' theme. Li Long had some excellent themes with both Dragon's Call and Moonlight Shadows. Mitsurugi's Wind and the Clouds theme made it into the later Soulcalibur games if you listen carefully.
True what you said about the toning down part. With character creation so much time is wasted in this mode that could've been used to polish the rough edges a bit.

I'm kinda skeptical actually. I was hoping the series would return to its historic roots with its art style ala SoulBlade/Edge and Sc1. This looks kinda like SC5.5 (same character models taken from SC5 re-rendered in UE4) especially with Sophitia (she appeared as an apparition in SC5). The announcement trailer (although I was really happy the game was announced after years of speculation) looked underwhelming. I wasn't a fan of all the flashes and explosions on screen. SC is not Street Fighter/KoF yet I wonder why Bandai Namco are turning their 3D fighters into 2D games. Same thing happened with Tekken 7. What made the classics great were the animations, the attention to detail on the characters, the backgrounds and their personality. It didn't need supers or anything else. I saw a 'leaked' character roster and apparently there are a few guest characters appearing in the game (Jago for Xbox One and some Bloodborne character for PS4) Ugh.

You hit all the points there my friend. When I saw the character trailer I saw the Soulcalibur V in that first character reveal. Currently it's looking like SCVI will be an update or a copy paste of SCV with some more of the same flashy super moves high on special effects and slow motion where the emphasis should have been about lightning fast movements and reflexes alike. Soulcalibur will now be about building meter to execute super moves.
I saw that leaked roster and I hope someone just thought that shit up. This is supposed to be in the SC1 timeline but all the kids from the later games are in. Plus Heihachi wtf?
How about just focusing on making the graphics and gameplay as good as the first games in the series that made the soul burn. Then afterwards add guest characters via dlc if requested by the fans.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
To be perfectly honest, I’d be fine with Soul Calibur on Dreamcast. If nothjng else, I’d be spared the typically bad voice acting and Power Rangers action poses. That said, I hope this is a good videogame.

Dr.brain64

2018 and still horrible dialogue and most likely shit story. For many many (many) years this is what I've come to expect from any asian game. It's so sad.

The music will be fantastic though.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So my memory is fuzzy from so many years ago. Isn't that Astaroth's heart? Seems like a ridiculous weak point to have it on the surface like that. If it's not his heart, is it some kind of enchanted implant or something?

As for Song Mina, I have to mention I've seen underboob in like four games recently. Is it some kind of trend right now? Did we not have the technology for it before and that's why?

If they put in Cervantes and Cassandra now that'll be the last ones I want in. Although with Noctis in Tekken 7 I think Aranea would be fitting for this. There aren't any other lance wielders, are there?

Last edited:
Mina looks great. This is my favorite official look for her in the series. I hope she has more combos in VI than she had in IV though. She felt a bit under cooked to me there.

Top Bottom