• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Voyager: brilliant. absolutely brilliant.

If you say so, I'll get this along with Digidrive.

Before I place my order: are there any other ones that are really good?

Jonnyram

Coloris is fantastic too... I've just started playing Orbital and it's crazy, so I'll have to get back to you on that.

Jonnyram said:
Coloris is fantastic too... I've just started playing Orbital and it's crazy, so I'll have to get back to you on that.
I'm thinking if I decide to use the play-asia deal, then I might get...

Dotstream + Dialhex
Orbital + Soundvoyager

Good enough?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
This is the kind of game that I've been waiting for a long time. A game where you don't have to look at the screen to play but instead use sound cues to progress through the game. Sound Voyager is that game

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Jonnyram said:

coloris and orbital, i dont really understand the controls. i realize red takes you towards planets and blue makes you go away but damn its hard to control.

sound voyager though, man, this pretty much shatters all my preconcieved notions about games having to be a visual experience.

id pay 49.99 for sound voyager. this game should not be missed by anyone on the planet.

Bebpo

Banned
Mr. Pointy said:
I'm thinking if I decide to use the play-asia deal, then I might get...

Dotstream + Dialhex
Orbital + Soundvoyager

Good enough?

Be warned about using P-A. I've been waiting for them to restock on Dotstream for like 10+ days and no luck. You might want to check elsewhere.

Bebpo said:
Be warned about using P-A. I've been waiting for them to restock on Dotstream for like 10+ days and no luck. You might want to check elsewhere.
True, but I can use some of my $5 Off coupons (I might get an RE4 gashapon as well). I'm not going to get the games immediately.

Jonnyram

There are different types of game, but they are all played using stereo sound. One example is a road that you drive down where you hear other cars and you have to avoid them based on sound. There are visual cues at the start, to get you going, but the visual cues start to disappear and you have to react to sound. The main type of game seems to be a music builder, where you have to hit spots to build up the layers in the music. It's really good music too, like all these bit Generations games.

sp0rsk said:
oh my god

you can play it with your eyes closed.
Awesome. Space Channel 5 came close, but there were parts where you had to visually identify whether you'd be shooting friend or foe and thus determine whether to use A or B.

jgkspsx

You *do* build up musical tracks? Shoot, I have to buy more of these?

I ordered Dotstream and Orbital (I don't care what it controls like, the concept is enough to sell me completely on it) from yesasia. I was kinda hoping that those were the only ones worth buying. I'm still hoping Digidrive is worth the money -- please post more impressions ASAP!

Wow, I just laid down on the couch with my Micro and Sound Voyager and played through the left-most level path. I did not look at the screen once. I AM BLOWN AWAY.

Seriously, this has to be experienced by everyone who has any interest in music games and/or things that are awesome.

jgkspsx

If anyone who has soundvoyager could record the music you generate and post it somehow, I'd be very appreciative.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I'll be popping this Sound Voyager game in shortly. You people certainly have me excited about it.

Flynn

I met a guy on a plane from London who worked for Rio. He's told me about a sound-only shooter for their mp3 players that he was working on. Don't know if it was ever implemented.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
This game is trippy. Following the sound is pretty cool and I get a very Rez-ish type of feeling, like you're sort of just trancing out and following the sound. In many ways it's more pure than Rez in that manner... it's ALL sound, no other visual coordination needed. If this was DSized and had rumble pak use that might be even more engrossing.

pj

Banned
It's ****ing awesome, this definately should become a console game with higher quality samples

I have a crappy lcd game which also is controlled by sound. mainly you have to match your "player" sound with the pan of the other sounds / avoid enemies. But it's just beeps so it sucks. I hope I like Soundvoyager better.

sprsk

JonathanEx said:
Are you 100% sure this is brilliant? Cause I'm pretty sure you all lied to me about Dotstream...

yeah im positive, if you dont think its brilliant youre most likely brain dead or an xbot.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
What exactly do you do on the first stage? I was very confused. It was like you're a little egg like thing that moves ULTRA SLOW, and you have to try to find where the sounds are coming from. What's the goal?

sprsk

Lyte Edge said:
What exactly do you do on the first stage? I was very confused. It was like you're a little egg like thing that moves ULTRA SLOW, and you have to try to find where the sounds are coming from. What's the goal?

dont think, feeeeeel

jluedtke

Alright, just listened to your podcast and am considering buying this.

Is there a Japanese language requirement? What about for Orbital?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
so, if i want to pick up one of these games when i go to the import store to buy goku makaimura and can't for some reason leave with just the game i wanted...dotstream or sound voyager?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ok, this Sound Voyager talk has got me interested. My Micro needs some attention.

Can someone do a quick summary of the Bit Generations games so far as well, which are the essential ones and which if any are best avoided?

argon

dragon_feces said:
Same...am I missing something?

Orbital's controls aren't that bad once you get the hang of it. It gets tricky when there are multiple massive objects, but it just takes a bit of practice.. =)

There are 3 different methods of moving in the game, as far as I can tell:

- gravitate button
- repel button
- enter orbit (faster speed than just using the grav button. to do this, rotate within the ring of a planet until you hear a sound)

also, while you are in orbit you can look around by using the D-pad

I've found that its best to enter orbit, look around and then repel from planets and correct my trajectory using each button. If i miss an object I just wait a few seconds for it to appear again, since the world map wraps around.

It's a pretty cool game but I can see how it could get frustrating for some.

Orbital was really hard for me to play for about...an hour. After that, I got the hang of it. I think I may have been a little slow on the uptake.

Soundvoyager is a wonderful example of something so incredibly obvious being pulled off brilliantly. I actually prefer playing it with my eyes closed, and that in itself makes it one of the most interesting games I've ever played.

Akia

First Time Play-Asia user here:

I'm ready to buy Soundvoyager. Are there any deals I should know about?

Top Bottom