• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soundtrack of the Year

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
So we often talk about what's the best game of the year and the best in x genre but what about the best soundtrack in a game released in 2020?

My choice is either between Doom Eternal and Yakuza like a Dragon both with incredible combat music but I do have to give it to Doom because well, it's just fucking nuts.

What was the absolute best music in a game this year for you gaf?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

I can't wait for it to come out of early access.

nkarafo

Can't say there was anything that grabbed me audio wise in 2020. I'm trying to think of something but nothing comes to mind. Guess i'll go with Ori and the Will of the Wisps. At least that one wasn't as annoying as DOOM Eternal sounding like some edgy teen trying to sound hardcore.

Chukhopops

Yeah it’s gonna be FF7 Remake, not a huge fan of the new tracks but the rest is incredible.

Cyberpunk was the opposite, a great game but the soundtrack did nothing to me, I expected something completely different - just my taste though.

Magog.

Banned
FF7 Remake. I wanna say I would love it just as much without the nostalgia factor but it's hard to say just because playing FF7 for the first time is one of my most cherished memories.

Kuranghi

Can't say there was anything that grabbed me audio wise in 2020. I'm trying to think of something but nothing comes to mind. Guess i'll go with Ori and the Will of the Wisps. At least that one wasn't as annoying as DOOM Eternal sounding like some edgy teen trying to sound hardcore.

Agreement on both counts, sorry OP and FP, Doom: Eternal OST just doesn't do it for like Doom 2016 did. It does sound like a poor imitation of the 2016 OST a lot of the time to me, which makes no sense since the same person made both. I have yet to hear it in-game so maybe that will change my mind, but for this reason I choose Ori 2 over it.

Will of the Wisps is amazing in general, I really liked this boss battle music for the first proper boss:

Streets of Rage 4 and FF7R in a league of their own. If Persona 5 Royal western release counts then the new tracks in that game, especially Take Over are S tier as well

xrnzaaas

I don't love Cyberpunk's soundtrack as a whole, but I enjoy certain songs, especially:

FF7 Remake had some cool songs I enjoyed despite never finishing the original game. My favorite's probably this one:

Last edited:

Hudo

Many good OSTs were released this year, including Doom Eternal, Yakuza Like A Dragon and obviously the FF7 Remake.

I also want to throw in the OST of Command & Conquer Remastered Collection (I've linked the remastered/remixed versions of the original songs, not the newly recorded metal variations. But they are awesome as well). And the OST of the Trials of Mana remake:

Top Bottom