• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Source: Stadia turned down an exclusive Death Stranding follow-up from Kojima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hy8HptA.gif
Holy shit, I forgot all about The Adventures of Handi-Man wow lmao.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Imagine turning down an exclusive Kojima game when the guy dreamed about making a cloud game and you are touting your premiere cloud service.
If the rumour is true, the value is in the details.Kohima doesn’t exactly have a reputation for being developer friendly, and the value for the service has to be balanced against the cost. If Kohima went to stadia with an idea fo a game demanding $100,000,000, full creative control and no deadlines, they’d be fools to fund him knowing that the service itself was really just a proof of concept that could well fold before they’d even have a chance of recouping dollar one.

Deerock71

Death Stranding 2 could've been Stadia's best exclusive. Ironically, the title would've been...prophetic; there's no fucking way the game would've changed the service's fate.

Last edited:

Infamy v1

If the rumour is true, the value is in the details.Kohima doesn’t exactly have a reputation for being developer friendly, and the value for the service has to be balanced against the cost. If Kohima went to stadia with an idea fo a game demanding $100,000,000, full creative control and no deadlines, they’d be fools to fund him knowing that the service itself was really just a proof of concept that could well fold before they’d even have a chance of recouping dollar one.

Google wasted billions shutting down a service they never seriously supported. I don't think your hypothetical $100 million was a factor in turning Kojima down. The top execs involved with Stadia admittedly are not gamers, and it showed.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Google wasted billions shutting down a service they never seriously supported. I don't think your hypothetical $100 million was a factor in turning Kojima down. The top execs involved with Stadia admittedly are not gamers, and it showed.
I picked an arbitrary number, but are you saying that the price of the rumoured game did not factor into their decision not to pay that price? Because that’s an interesting take if so.

Infamy v1

I picked an arbitrary number, but are you saying that the price of the rumoured game did not factor into their decision not to pay that price? Because that’s an interesting take if so.

Have you seen their plethora of other terrible decisions for Stadia? It's not far-fetched to think this hypothetical "high price point" is not the real reason they turned Kojima down.

Yeah, definitely getting rumors mixed up here.

DS is owned by Sony and they would never let their IP on a competing platform that isn't PC.

This is Overdose. Microsoft are on it now. Imagine if DS2 is a Xbox/PC/Xcloud exclusive. LMFAO

Azurro

Banned
Weird, but wtf were Sony and MS doing letting Kojima shop DS around like that? Snatch that up asap. Didnt Herman go to award shows with kojima after DS? Why not greenlight DS2 right away? We wouldve gotten a sequel either by now or by next year.

Because it was a sales disappointment and didn't do that well critically either. It's a fucking weird game, the only Kojima game I have bought and never finished.

Kojima is brilliant, but he needs someone to bring him back down to earth with some of his ideas, what a slog of a game that was.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Have you seen their plethora of other terrible decisions for Stadia? It's not far-fetched to think this hypothetical "high price point" is not the real reason they turned Kojima down.
It is undoubtedly part of the reason, the only question is how much? I don’t see much value in just saying “it was a bad decision because they make bad decisions” - these are not stupid people, even if they do fuck up in ways that seem obvious in hindsight (or even foresight).

brian0057

Banned
Yeah, i mean, look at all these amazing gaming masterpieces Konami has made since then. Kojima was really dragging them down.
"Amazing gaming masterpieces" don't necessarily pay rent, salaries, and bills.
Even if we gamers hate what they've been doing, it's clearly working for them.
They're a for profit company, not a charity. And people always seem to forget that.

RaduN

"Amazing gaming masterpieces" don't necessarily pay rent, salaries, and bills.
Even if we gamers hate what they've been doing, it's clearly working for them.
They're a for profit company, not a charity. And people always seem to forget that.
I don't give a shit about their profits, i give a shit about their games. I am a gamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom