• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

South Park made an episode about Trans athletes

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

Throughout the episode, different characters bring up that Heather just started identifying as trans two weeks ago. It’s revealed later in a plot twist that Heather was at one point in time the ex-boyfriend of Strong Woman, who tells PC Principal that Heather, formerly Blake, hates women and can’t stand to be beaten by one. When Strong Woman broke up with him, he swore he would get back at her and is now doing so as Heather Swanson. The reveal of Heather’s true motives feels like justification for people who believe some men would claim to be trans so they could go into women’s bathrooms. It’s a conversation that’s rooted in bigotry but masked as actual concern for women’s safety, kind of how this episode is masked in what’s supposed to be desire for nuance without bringing any. And the episode continues to take jabs at trans women, with Heather Swanson visiting the PC household to taunt Strong Woman about losing the competition to her. When PC Principal asks Heather to leave, he is accused of being a transphobe, which suggests that trans women are quick to call someone a transphobe when met with any kind of criticism—an unfair claim for the show to make.

I didn't watch the episode so I will repost again later once I watch it, but this should be good. I thought they covered the Trans issue pretty well and funnily in the season Garrison got a sex change.

Seems like it got the T's panties in a bunch, because they are the one group that is exempt from humor.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
It featured PC Babies as much or more. PC Principal's story arc was about his fear of saying reasonable things regarding the situation because of the PC Babies. By the end the PC Babies had grown up enough to start recognizing nuance. I'm guessing a writer was banned from the other place and made a hopeful story for their future.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
I watched the episode over lunch. It was brilliant. The part when Heather rips her pants off like Randy Savage and her giant feminine "package" is flopping around under her thong is hilarious.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
going thru the AV comments, apparently the writer here done fucked up in so many ways and are probably changing the article after the fact. multiple comments point out that she called them "cis white men from Canada" when in fact they are from Colorado. but if you go look through the article, the word "Canada" has been removed. hmm.

also the first paragraph calls the episode "Boad Girls". like if your job is being a fucking writer at least look at what you've written LOL. a shame Kinja don't employ editors.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: Ikutachi

PKM

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2017
Once I see a FtM do anything in sports I'll drop the case for why MtF need to stay the fuck out of women sports.

It's all or nothing with these people.

They give zero fucks about biological women and trample any form of mysognistic acts biological men can throw at them.
"Let us play the sports, get in your bathrooms, etc.. SUCK THE LADY DICK BIGOT!!"

The trans issue is top 3 of shit that makes me look at the world and think "am I taking crazy pills? Wtf is going on, how do people not stop this/speak up?"

Aug 5, 2011
I watched the episode and it was actually very funny and even brilliant at some points... I haven't seen a South Park episode in a hot minute, how long have the PC Babies been around? They are a great idea as characters ( social commentary) The writing for this show is pretty solid too.

Macho Man playing board games with the little girls (and getting owned by them) was the cutest thing too.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
they only need to make the next episode about Trump gay sexing Putin and will be welcomed back into the #Resistance with open arms
This season though they have given it to the right as well. They had a whole episode (and then continuation) based on ICE and the border detention centers. ICE did not come out looking good. And last weeks episode they mocked Guilliani and Trump (through Garrison).

Matt and Trey mock all sides, but I guess the T line is the one line no one can cross.

bigedole

Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX
This season though they have given it to the right as well. They had a whole episode (and then continuation) based on ICE and the border detention centers. ICE did not come out looking good. And last weeks episode they mocked Guilliani and Trump (through Garrison).

Matt and Trey mock all sides, but I guess the T line is the one line no one can cross.
Anyone who has watched more than a handful of clips from Southpark knows that they are equal opportunity offenders when it comes to who they mock. It's part of their charm.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
someone post the macho man shot itt, it is glorious beyond words
Hulu wont let me screen shot it on my phone for whatever reason.

Patriots7

Jul 15, 2008
hahaha you go out of your way to avoid un-PC South Park episodes? Holy shit that is bitch mode.
Should specify, the ones that will inundate the internet (Twitter/other forums) with outrage.

The Virgin Mary episode might be the most offensive, theoretically, but for some reason, outrage was surprisingly minute online. Need to follow more fellow Catholics, I guess?

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Should specify, the ones that will inundate the internet (Twitter/other forums) with outrage.

The Virgin Mary episode might be the most offensive, theoretically, but for some reason, outrage was surprisingly minute online. Need to follow more fellow Catholics, I guess?
What exactly are you defining as outrage

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
The fact that Stephanie Williams wrote THAT long of an article about a 22 minute South Park episode tells me she has major problems with her life... meaning... she doesn’t have one.

Hold on, was Stephanie a “he” at one time? Doesn’t matter. She sucks at life

• Thoughtful
Reactions: matt404au

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
ah i saw this tonight. it was amazing. funniest one they have done in seasons. Macho Man as a hyper version of PC Principle was brilliant. the PC Babies were great. i really enjoyed the "Board Girls" story with the boys & girls playing games together, thought that was actually a v progressive & maybe feminist take on gender relations. Macho Man is to me just an utter absurd parody, a caricature of a person, and is based on a well known icon who naturally delivers an overdose of machismo. this is brilliant satire. LOL some parts of this sound like message board threads, it deconstructs that kind of activism. (for that reason i can see why certain people would hate it.)

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Cybrwzrd

A Regular Guy

Feb 23, 2018

Seems to me, that you social life must really suck outside of the interwebs if you can't have fun with non-PC stuff

Saiyu

Mar 21, 2007
Man, what is it with trans issues and Era..

I'll be watching this tonight

AV

Gold Member
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK
My checker:
- Is SP trending?
- Is there a thread on Era?

If both yes, then I know it's danger.
But why do you let Twitter and ResetERA dictate what episodes of a television show you watch? You obviously want to watch the show if you're watching the other episodes, what does the internet's opinion have to do with it?

Contica

Feb 1, 2016
"The reveal of Heather’s true motives feels like justification for people who believe some men would claim to be trans so they could go into women’s bathrooms. It’s a conversation that’s rooted in bigotry but masked as actual concern for women’s safety, "

Maybe you should partake in that conversation, for once then, instead of always playing the victim? These fucks call everyone disagreeing with them a bigot. I sure as hell wouldn't want my daughter to have dicks in her bathroom. It's not masked bigotry, it's a very real and serious concern, and it's time these fucktards dig their heads out of each other's collective asses.

/rant over

Mohonky

Jan 19, 2007
I watched the episode just to see what the big deal was. Didnt find it all that funny, but i havent found South Park funny for awhile now so doubt that means much.

Im not sure what other people saw, but I seemed to get the opposite of it being transphobic.

The character is meant to be a straight up asshole and isnt transgender at all. Its about a narcisistic asshole of a character that manipulates outrage culture to their own gain to get back at an ex; PC Principal and Strong Woman can clearly see this but felt powerless to do anything about it in case they were to be 'outted' as bigoted which was something Heather used to her advantage the entire time.

Im not sure how it says anything abouts transwoman at all; its more about the exploitation of people too petrified to call someone out in case they get heaped upon by the people that scream outrage.

AV

Gold Member
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK
I watched the episode just to see what the big deal was. Didnt find it all that funny, but i havent found South Park funny for awhile now so doubt that means much.

Im not sure what other people saw, but I seemed to get the opposite of it being transphobic.

The character is meant to be a straight up asshole and isnt transgender at all. Its about a narcisistic asshole of a character that manipulates outrage culture to their own gain to get back at an ex; PC Principal and Strong Woman can clearly see this but felt powerless to do anything about it in case they were to be 'outted' as bigoted which was something Heather used to her advantage the entire time.

Im not sure how it says anything abouts transwoman at all; its more about the exploitation of people too petrified to call someone out in case they get heaped upon by the people that scream outrage.
Your first mistake was applying common sense to the situation. Your second mistake was being able to understand the basic underlying joke of a television cartoon.

Two things these people cannot do.

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019

This is a post in resetera on the thread about this SP episode

Transphobes have pushed the idea that trans women are actually men pretending to be women to get into women's spaces for forever now, South Park acting like that's an actual thing that happens is incredibly harmful.

Also you don't need to be at any stage of transitioning, medically or otherwise, to be considered trans.
Basically anyone who claims to be a woman should be automatically considered a real woman even if that person is a narcissistic asshole manipulating outrage culture. Anything less makes you a transphobe. And that's exactly why it is so easy to manipulate outrage culture cause you're dealing with mentally ill people who deal in absolute terms. Trolls and opportunists will make a field day out of this.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Cybrwzrd and Ailynn

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Jan 1, 2017
East Tennessee, USA
I've got to watch this. It sounds like Trey & Matt used the whole trans athlete debate to shed light on narcissistic opportunists like J. Yaniv. :)

It's too bad that some trans people and many activists may have been conditioned to be so sensitive and on the lookout for absolutely anything that can possibility be considered transphobic. As Mohonky Mohonky stated, it sounds like transphobia and making fun of trans people wasn't the intention of the episode, but rather the fear some people have of being accused of 'wrongthink.'

ROMhack

Jul 14, 2018
I've got to watch this. It sounds like Trey & Matt used the whole trans athlete debate to shed light on narcissistic opportunists like J. Yaniv. :)

It's too bad that some trans people and many activists may have been conditioned to be so sensitive and on the lookout for absolutely anything that can possibility be considered transphobic. As Mohonky Mohonky stated, it sounds like transphobia and making fun of trans people wasn't the intention of the episode, but rather the fear some people have of being accused of 'wrongthink.'
Yeah, without having seen it, I would have thought so too. It's rarely, if ever, in Trey and Matt's remit to provoke hate towards a specific group.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ailynn