• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

South Park made an episode about Trans athletes

DKehoe

Jun 19, 2007
I haven’t watched South Park in a while. I think I fell off around the time they were doing the Game of Thrones Black Friday stuff (not that I disliked it, just fell out of the habit of watching it). Are PC Principle, Strong Woman and PC Babies new regular characters?

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
I thought it was pretty obvious Heather was there to our PC the PC family. It’s a joke about activists who have to out woke one another, virtue signalling so hard they actually harm women in the process.

I dug the juxtaposition of the two different times they montage to “Strong Woman”. Who steps up to take Heather down at the end? A black girl who proved the only thing that matters is how well you play.

Mohonky

Jan 19, 2007
I've got to watch this. It sounds like Trey & Matt used the whole trans athlete debate to shed light on narcissistic opportunists like J. Yaniv. :)

It's too bad that some trans people and many activists may have been conditioned to be so sensitive and on the lookout for absolutely anything that can possibility be considered transphobic. As Mohonky Mohonky stated, it sounds like transphobia and making fun of trans people wasn't the intention of the episode, but rather the fear some people have of being accused of 'wrongthink.'
When I thought a out it some more later, I alsp considered Yaniv as a prime example of someone who you may consider in the context of this episode.

Another thing that popped up later was TERFs. Strong Women is a character about.....well a strong women. The narrative in the episode is that she enters the competition to show the students girls should follow who they want to be and do the things they want to do and not let others stand in their way; which is entirely why her ex Heather enters the competition, to deny her that. That being the point of contention, not that her ex is transgender, but that they use her poltical correctness against her to call out that Heathers actions are a ruse, she either has to admit defeat in losing to her ex or suggest that her ex is simply doing this to belittle her and thus appear a bigot.

You could argue that the episode touches on transathletes, but I think that's not really where the episode is going. They specifically pick Heathers character as a hyper masculine person, far beyond that of even most males, so the idea that this is more saying something about men not being able to truly be accepted as women doesnt really ring true to me in this episode. I mean its a whole other discussion transathletes; but this didnt really seem to be something that was on the discussion due to how rodiculous the character Heather was portrayed.

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
I've got to watch this. It sounds like Trey & Matt used the whole trans athlete debate to shed light on narcissistic opportunists like J. Yaniv. :)

It's too bad that some trans people and many activists may have been conditioned to be so sensitive and on the lookout for absolutely anything that can possibility be considered transphobic. As Mohonky Mohonky stated, it sounds like transphobia and making fun of trans people wasn't the intention of the episode, but rather the fear some people have of being accused of 'wrongthink.'
Who cares who you or they or I make fun of?! No one is above being made fun of! If whites, Christians, cis-gender, straight, gay, black, brown, tall, short or Asian people can be made fun of, transgender people can be too.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
So I finally watched it and thought it was pretty funny. Love the Macho Man tribute. And thought the B story was a nice counterpoint. Had the Strong Woman song stuck in my head all day LOL.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach

Ailynn Ailynn Watch the episode. It is not really about trans people at all. But it is really funny!
It is making fun of the activists and sjws.

It is about "macho man" pretending to be Trans because it gives him privilege. This is 100% a satire about Yaniv and similar predators. He even declares he hates women in the episode.
There is no hateful message about trans at all. But a LOT of very pointed jokes against activists and sjws.

I think you will like this episode.
Once this type of pointed humor gets more mainstream and everywhere in society we will get rid of and shame the activist cancer away. Then we can live like normal people with normal goals and aims, together.

Ailynn Ailynn you seem like a normal person to me. I would not mind at all to have you as my next door neighbor.
(though when I cook bbq, you will say it is perfectly cooked or there may be trouble, ok?)

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Jan 1, 2017
East Tennessee, USA
Ailynn Ailynn You seem like a normal person to me. I would not mind at all to have you as my next door neighbor.
(though when I cook bbq, you will say it is perfectly cooked or there may be trouble, ok?)
Thanks so much! I'm sure you would be an awesome neighbor, and excellent at grilling BBQ. :)

(Just don't let me near the grill...bad things are sure to happen if left up to me) :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

JSoup

Jun 20, 2013
California
I was more amused by the board game parts. Traditional/board games guys are really uppity about new people joining the hobby. Granted, lots of the popular D&D channels are their own special kind of cancer, but that's hardly representative of everyone.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Life imitates art and one of the more subtle parts of this episode is how Heather calls PC principal and the girls transphobes if they don't agree with her dogma 100%.

If you go to the REEEE thread thats basically exactly what is happening, anyone who doesn't say its transphobic is immediatly called a transphobe. Everyone upset with this episode is just calling it transphobic and if anyone tries to make any argument or start a discussion like PC Principal, you are called a transphobe.

This episode is up there with band in China for me.

Reactions: Yakuzakazuya

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Jan 1, 2017
East Tennessee, USA
have you seen it yet? interested in your take on it.
I just watched it and I thought it was great! I mean, it was pretty obvious that they weren't saying Macho Man was a trans woman...I was thankful they weren't trying to say "trans women are just men." They were totally doing a parody of people like J. Yaniv. Mostly, they were trying to show that it's good to be accepting and kind toward people, but political correctness needs to have some common sense thrown in...otherwise assholes are going to take advantage of the good will of others.

I thought it was really well done. Thanks for the heads-up about the episode, everyone! :)

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Just saw some of the clips from this episode... fucking brutal lol. I respect these guys because they go after everyone. I have no problem with that.

Clear

Feb 2, 2009
I just watched it and I thought it was great! I mean, it was pretty obvious that they weren't saying Macho Man was a trans woman...I was thankful they weren't trying to say "trans women are just men." They were totally doing a parody of people like J. Yaniv. Mostly, they were trying to show that it's good to be accepting and kind toward people, but political correctness needs to have some common sense thrown in...otherwise assholes are going to take advantage if the good will of others.

I thought it was really well done. Thanks for the heads-up about the episode, everyone! :)
Exactly, it was basically poking fun at people who "game the system" for their own benefit.

As always with SP its not about what people believe so much as how they act that gets the sharpest treatment. I mean PC Principal's fundamental beliefs have never been mocked since the character was introduced several seasons ago, the joke is that he acts like an over-aggressive jock asshole in service of those beliefs.

Which is why when Heather (who is blatantly, undeniably a fraud) calls him a Transphobe (which just as obviously he isn't) effectively shaming him to the point where he doesn't want to face his kids, it hammers home the point.

The satire is about the tyranny of a broken dialectic. Truth no longer matters, its all about taboo.

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
I wonder how we look back at this episode. Does it get buried and removed from time for being "insensitive" or does something else happen?

Rock And Roll

Sep 28, 2014
Wow all I can say is yikes. This is so beyond the realm of problematic I don't even know where to begin.

Matt and Trey are complete bigots and devoid of any originality. South Park was funny when it was punching up and this is just cruelly punching down. Coupled with the fact they publically stated they won't make fun of Drumpf makes them cowards and alt right enablers. CC needs to cancel this show immediately. Not because it's unfunny but because views like this are dangerous to society.

Usually I don't spoiler my obvious sarcasm but I've become so fluent in NPC reading this back I almost convinced myself I was being serious

Ten_Fold

Jan 18, 2017
We need more TV shows to make fun of SJW. It wasn't really hateful towards trans but for anyone on GAF that's a trans you have to know that your not above being made fun of.

trikster40

Dec 12, 2008
Life imitates art and one of the more subtle parts of this episode is how Heather calls PC principal and the girls transphobes if they don't agree with her dogma 100%.

If you go to the REEEE thread thats basically exactly what is happening, anyone who doesn't say its transphobic is immediatly called a transphobe. Everyone upset with this episode is just calling it transphobic and if anyone tries to make any argument or start a discussion like PC Principal, you are called a transphobe.

This episode is up there with band in China for me.
arachnophobia - I’m afraid of spiders.
Coulrophobia - I’m afraid of clowns.
Transphobia - nope, not afraid.

The word “transphobic” (heck, every phobia word associated with gays, gender, race, etc) gets thrown around way too much,. You get that label just for disagreeing with them. I don’t agree with a lot of their opinions, but I’m not afraid of them by any means. I also don’t hate, loathe, despise, etc etc etc. I just disagree with them on some viewpoints..

The ironic thing is that the LGBT movement can hate on religion, Christians., groups that support traditional marriages, but they aren’t labeled as Christianphobes or Heterophobes.

Don’t be so quick to label people who have different morals and ideologies. If it is true hate speech and hateful acti, by all means, speak up, point fingers, and get involved. When the Salvation Army gets labeled as an evil, hate-spewing organization, we’ve gone off the rails.

Not everybody in this world is going to like you or support you. Get a circle of friends that you love and trust, and screw the rest of the world.

Also thought the episode was funny. RIP Macho Man.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Jan 1, 2017
East Tennessee, USA
It wasn't really hateful towards trans but for anyone on GAF that's a trans you have to know that your not above being made fun of.
Hey, I make fun of myself all the time! :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:

Self-deprecation is how I dealt with some of my more negative emotions since my early teen years, and became effective toward dealing with bullying throughout school.

I'd say most trans people who've existed outside any extremely liberal social circles for any fair amount of time are pretty used to mockery. Remember, it was only just a few years ago that most even hard left-leaning media stopped making fun of us themselves.

Now, the problem may arise when we take things a bit too far with self-deprecation. Even though everyone became more comfortable around me because they knew I didn't take myself seriously at all...internally my self-esteem had actually fallen through the basement floor and I actively despised myself for most of my life. Not exactly healthy...but then again, neither is it when people take life too seriously and become angry or depressed at any miniscule form of criticism.

(Don't worry - I'm mostly better now.) :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Entroyp

Jul 28, 2017
I’ve been away from online forums for a while ( few years ) but I felt like going back. I know things have changed dramatically in recent years and talking about certain issues is not OK (something I don’t agree with). So now straight to the point, can I say I liked liked this episode quite a lot or am I being a .. what’s the name? Transphobe? Am I being a jerk to Trans people here?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Ailynn

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Should specify, the ones that will inundate the internet (Twitter/other forums) with outrage.

The Virgin Mary episode might be the most offensive, theoretically, but for some reason, outrage was surprisingly minute online. Need to follow more fellow Catholics, I guess?
Twitter and the like’s social culture is curated by a bunch of degenerates that are told how to think and what to get outraged over.

You won’t see any Christian outrage on there trending, especially from people that gladly bash it every second they get a chance.

The only time you will ever see anything trending would be the bastardization called Westborough Baptist Church, and that’s just the paint a broad brush to make the entire religion look bad, and the hypocrites to pile on the war on Christianity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rran

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
It would have been cool if it was the retard Olympics part 2. Where Cartman, failing to win the special Olympics by dressing up as a special, decides to don a wig to beat the chicks.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Jan 1, 2017
East Tennessee, USA
I’ve been away from online forums for a while ( few years ) but I felt like going back. I know things have changed dramatically in recent years and talking about certain issues is not OK (something I don’t agree with). So now straight to the point, can I say I liked liked this episode quite a lot or am I being a .. what’s the name? Transphobe? Am I being a jerk to Trans people here?
I'm trans, and I thought it was great! That said, it does seem to have angered some of the trans-rights activist crowd, but I believe they may not be seeing it for the intended meaning.

The episode wasn't bashing trans people at all, and even outright shows that the character wasn't trans but was only abusing the good will of others to boost his own narcissism and show he was stronger than his ex-girlfriend, Strong Woman...while simultaneously daring her to say something against him and 'out herself as a transphobe'...even though she is the furthest from it.

The episode really speaks more about people who abuse the system like J. Yaniv in Canada, while also asking people to use a bit more common sense about all these issues. It's just sad that when some people are offered legitimate protections, there always seems to be someone who will try to take advantage for their own purposes.

Last edited:

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
I'm trans, and I thought it was great! That said, it does seem to have angered some of the trans-rights activist crowd, but they aren't looking at it for the intended meaning.

The episode wasn't bashing trans people at all, and even outright shows that the character wasn't trans but was only abusing the good will of others to boost his own narcissism and show he was stronger than his ex-girlfriend, Strong Woman...while simultaneously daring her to say something against him and 'out herself as a transphobe'...even though she is the furthest from it.

The episode really speaks more about people who abuse the system like J. Yaniv in Canada, while also asking people to use a bit more common sense about all these issues. It's just sad that when some people are offered legitimate protections, there always seems to be someone who will try to take advantage for their own purposes.
Yet the response shouldn't be to question, weaken or remove those protections. Which is what, in several cases, the Trump administration has done or is in the process of doing to trans people (and other minorities), by using paranoia based on exaggerated or entirely imagined abuses to establish a scapegoat.

I had already stopped watching South Park many years ago and haven't felt the need to look back, so I don't care about their current content as a whole.

The main problem I am seeing here is that the episode doesn't exist in isolation, nor in a society where trans people are fully respected, and thus the joke(s) can be misused against them. I don't know if the intention behind the episode was transphobic, but that's not the point.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Ailynn

ArchaeEnkidu

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
Yet the response shouldn't be to question, weaken or remove those protections. Which is what, in several cases, the Trump administration has done or is in the process of doing to trans people (and other minorities), by using paranoia based on exaggerated or entirely imagined abuses to establish a scapegoat.

I had already stopped watching South Park many years ago and haven't felt the need to look back, so I don't care about their current content as a whole.

The main problem I am seeing here is that the episode doesn't exist in isolation, nor in a society where trans people are fully respected, and thus the joke(s) can be misused against them. I don't know if the intention behind the episode was transphobic, but that's not the point.

This is you.

Last edited:

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
Not remotely what I said, nor meant, but I guess it doesn't matter to you.

Objectively speaking, I did not tell Ailynn to shut up. Nor did I assign that type of blame, so suggesting this is a whole load of nonsense and bad faith on your part.

I made the point that there are reasons why different human beings, including other trans individuals, might have some particular issues with this. Which aren't related to your ridiculous cartoon.

If you don't care about what I actually said, then have fun arguing with your strawman.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: ArchaeEnkidu

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Now this week’s episode was more in line with classic South Park. Nothing political nor even current event oriented. Just chics trying to stick other people’s shit up their asses to get healthy

Reactions: cryptoadam

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Macho Ma'am still makes me laugh. They need to bring her back as a reoccurring character.

I could go for a Randy and Macho Ma'am episode.

Reactions: Yakuzakazuya