• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: TFBH "Game is Gold" Trailer

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
We gonna pretend posters aren't looking down on others for liking south park?

Happens often on here.

The real victims in culture are South Park fans who are looked down upon by the washed masses of virtue signalers.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Love it, South Park is funny as fuck and I loved The Stick of Truth so this is day one.

It was funny, to some people. We get it, youre virtue signaling is top notch and anyone who laughs at edgy comedy is the lesser.

How close are you to turning this thread into a graveyard for people enjoying this type of comedy?

Ever notice how people using the phrase "virtue signaling" appear to be signaling something?

ThisGuy

Look up what "mammy" is
Okay, I will.

The real victims in culture are South Park fans who are looked down upon by the washed masses of virtue signalers.

Lmfao, okay, I never said that. Keep shitting on people for liking something you don't, and turning it into a pissing contest.

Ever notice how people using the phrase "virtue signaling" appear to be signaling something?

Spit it out if you got something to say. Lol

Slayven

It was funny, to some people. We get it, youre virtue signaling is top notch and anyone who laughs at edgy comedy is the lesser.

How close are you to turning this thread into a graveyard for people enjoying this type of comedy?

"Virtue signalling" is Alt Right code for "Folks just want brownie points".

Usually when someone objects to bigotry. Because no one can find bigotry objectionable legitimately

ZeoVGM

Banned
I like South Park. It's generally funny.

This was bad. The "gay fish" thing doesn't work well today and the look of his mom in the video is really fucking questionable.

ThisGuy

"Virtue signalling" is Alt Right code for "Folks just want brownie points".

Usually when someone objects to bigotry. Because no one can find bigotry objectionable legitimately
Okay, I'll google this too. I've only seen it on here a couple times. Thought I understood its definition. But, that's not a good look admittedly.

Thewonandonly

As a dude that loves south park this joke did feel a little mean spirited. I liked the punchline at the end of "all see you again son" then Kanye being like what the fuck. But that's about it.

But for real you PC folks are killing comedy ;)

Tagyhag

I don't think its funny in traditional sense, but rather it's unflinchingly mean-spirited in the depiction of Kanye, his mom and his game that people into that kind of thing can get a laugh out of it.

It got a chuckle out of me.

I'm all for mean-spirited jokes if they're actually funny.

This one just fell flat to me. It's also a surprisingly old joke for a show that tends to keep themselves current.

BTA

Serious question: can someone explain what's funny here?

So there's the racism and the homophobia and the insulting of Kanye's mom, but like... beyond that what exactly about Kanye making this game merited mocking to begin with? Is it just that it's Kanye, even though nothing else that he's done is commented on beyond the game about his mom?

I have an extremely low opinion of South Park (as the rest of this post shows) but I'm legitimately curious about what about this amuses people. Is it just the fact that they said "Seaman" that way...? People keep calling it amazing/hilarious but not actually explaining what they find funny.

No, I will openly and gladly scream from a mountaintop that I look down on others for liking South Park. It’s fucking trash.

Same here. It's trash. I'm not ~offended~, I just think it's fucking bad and, if you want to think seriously about it, has had a legitimate negative impact on people's lives by normalizing some of its shittier jokes and making people think "they go after everyone" makes everything ok.

yeah wtf is going on.

if you don't find it funny then why come in here? lol. some people i don't understand what's going on in their head.

I came in here because I am a fan of the show and liked the last game. Then I saw a mammy fish and I don't get the joke.

okvoidx.png

Yeah...no

That ain't cool

I knew South Park was supposed to be edgy or whatever, but as someone who's never seen the show or played the first game, this trailer caught me by surprise, especially with all the hype for this one and praise for the first one.

And this isn't virtue signalling or whatever you want to call it. I've made my fair share of racist jokes to people who can take it in stride and not be hurt by it, sure. I used to say "no homo" and "that's gay" all the time as a kid because I wanted to fit in. I mean, I grew up in an environment where I had to make the curry joke about myself first so I didn't have to hear someone else say it. But this trailer? None of this shit was okay, mostly because there's nothing funny about it. It's not homophobic or racist jokes... it's just homophobic and racist here. It's just kinda mean... and that's about it. Idk how you laugh at something like this.

But sure, you guys who love this type of stuff go on and laugh, I'll just be lurking here laughing at you responding to being called out by other posters.

iammeiam

I like South Park. It's generally funny.

This was bad. The "gay fish" thing doesn't work well today and the look of his mom in the video is really fucking questionable.

Making him an actual fish changes things a lot; the original joke in the show seemed to be that Kanye was so out-of-touch and self-serious he was incapable of understanding a dumb pun from a crude kid's joke and wound up taking it a ridiculous direction. Having him be an actual fish everyone calls "gay fish" makes the joke hahaha he's gay instead of hahahaha he's so full of himself he can't understand jokes.

The way the mom is portrayed is not great. I'm not sure Kanye's mom's death is particularly fertile ground for comedy, and this seems more like something you'd see added to an episode they'd tossed together at the last minute because how did it make it all the way through game making and into the trailer and nobody was like "Maybe this isn't the best thing..."

Edit: the "see you soon son" joke at the end was actually entertaining; the rest of it felt more like something trying to be edgy than actual raw comedy that offended the sensibilities.

sjay1994

I'm all for mean-spirited jokes if they're actually funny.

This one just fell flat to me. It's also a surprisingly old joke for a show that tends to keep themselves current.

My initial reaction to this video was "oh shit they went here", and since I am guessing the fastforwarded part was gameplay and there are a bunch of Kanyeisms sprinkled in there.

But yeah, I can understand this falling very flat. Like I said, I only chuckled a bit at the opening of the video and the end of "I'll see you soon son".

I never knew what "mammy" was until today, I just assumed the racial connotations people were pointing out was that the fish looks like it's in blackface.

mask.jpg

Did seriously no one go “hey wait a minute” as this all went through production? Like come on!

At least when South Park used Nazi imagery in the past, it did so to lampoon people who used Nazi imagery.

This doesn't have any of that prior justification.

Mutant

I thought it was a neat weird pull from a forgotten moment in time but the mammy fish is yeesh.

I know right, all those Jewish jokes from way back when are super funny because Matt Stone considers himself ethnically Jewish, and they make fun of everyone anyway.... so when Cartman dressed like Hitler back in Season 8 and started a race riot chanting the words "We must exterminate the Jews" it was actually hilarious and I'm just an out of touch old man.

This is only going to look ironic for your detractors.

The mom fish was also kinda... minstrel show looking?

That is interesting. I thought it looked like a poorly drawn fish with lipstick and earnings, and the reference never crossed my mind. But now that you point it out, it actually does a bit. I do not think it is intentional.

I haven't watched South Park in about three years, and thought the show peaked at season 10, but I loved their last game and this one looks even better. Can't wait to play.

Gotta say that mammyfish seems pretty racist to me. I get the context of the joke about Kanye's shitty cell phone game for his mom's passing and how Kanye can't take criticism (gay fish episode), but mammyfish is definitely not okay.

Wamb0wneD

Yes, the Kanye joke was homophobic...

Not about, y'know, his inability to accept criticism or overall lack of humour.

And this trailer is taking the piss out of his mother's passing...

Not about, y'know, the idea of making a melodramatic mobile phone game to commemorate his mother's passing, and how ridiculous that is.

I mean, it's basically the slogan of the show, right? South Park: Where Everything is Surface Level and Nothing has Context.

Makes you think.

If there's more significant backlash, I wonder if Ubisoft will have to take the easy fall, since South Park seems impenetrable to getting an apology out of.

Top Bottom