• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: TFBH "Game is Gold" Trailer

I get what you’re trying to say, but you can’t seriously think the people behind South Park didn’t notice that. They absolutely knew what they were doing and that’s the joke. Racism is funny.

The issue with this is none of those things, it's the way MomFish passively evokes blackface imagery without saying something about it. If you're going to invoke that imagery, you need to do it with deliberate purpose to say something about it.

I think that is the point. I could be wrong, but I think if Matt and Trey wanted to say something about blackface imagery or include it in a joke, they would have done it in a completely different context. It would have been overt, and probably used unambiguously authentic imagery. They have never shied away from social changed imagery before (ie the Cartoon Wars episodes). Maybe they don't care enough to scrutinize things carefully enough. Maybe that's irresponsible, but I don't think that makes it (or them) racist.

I think that is the point. I could be wrong, but I think if Matt and Trey wanted to say something about blackface imagery or include it in a joke, they would have done it in a completely different context. It would have been overt, and probably used unambiguously authentic imagery. They have never shied away from social changed imagery before (ie the Cartoon Wars episodes). Maybe they don't care enough to scrutinize things carefully enough. Maybe that's irresponsible, but I don't think that makes it (or them) racist.

It does make the joke a fucking disappointment though given how they've shown what they can do with this kind of material. I think we can agree on that.

I dont think mad men is a fair comparison. That show was depicting the 60s.

Moreso than that, it was depicting that the use of Black Face is pretty much a Bad Thing.
Exactly, which is why it was successful. It used blackface critically, as a tool to demonstrate how horrible it is. I was curious about other instances where this was the case. It's obviously not an oft-used technique these days, and when it is, it's almost always used in a racist manner.

I suppose I'm just interested in moments of taboo being repurposed as critiques of said taboo. It's a fine line, because I'm sure even something like the Mad Men scene still offended some people.

For the record, this South Park moment clearly missed the mark.

Exactly, which is why it was successful. It used blackface critically, as a tool to demonstrate how horrible it is. I was curious about other instances where this was the case. It's obviously not an oft-used technique these days, and when it is, it's almost always used in a racist manner.

I suppose I'm just interested in moments of taboo being repurposed as critiques of said taboo. It's a fine line, because I'm sure even something like the Mad Men scene still offended some people.

The last I remember a sincere, non-ironic black face invocation was Transformers 2 with the two "gangsta" robots who couldn't read. Not typical minstrel stuff in terms of dialogue, but the general idea of "lol black people lol" was there pretty unabashedly.

The last I remember a sincere, non-ironic black face invocation was Transformers 2 with the two "gangsta" robots who couldn't read. Not typical minstrel stuff in terms of dialogue, but the general idea of "lol black people lol" was there pretty unabashedly.
Yeah that shit was horrendous, completely irredeemable.

Just saw the trailer and thought it was hilarious, but once I saw the mom frog I instantly knew what the conversation would pivot to. They probably should have gone with a green skin color like Kanye.

Print_Dog

I'm a black guy, ok. I didn't even think of it like that until coming to this thread. This is what South Park is. It's been in existence for decades now. How are people not in on the jokes now?

JeTmAn81

I'm a black guy, ok. I didn't even think of it like that until coming to this thread. This is what South Park is. It's been in existence for decades now. How are people not in on the jokes now?

There pretty much always a context and clear reasoning behind the use of offensive imagery and situations on the show. In the first season, Cartman dresses up like Hitler and then a KKK member for Halloween. It makes sense because he's a racist character. The mammy fish doesn't have any discernible reason to be depicted in blackface.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Last transfotmers arguably tops that with a freed from prison gangster deception sign long free at last in a mocking tone of mlk.

There pretty much always a context and clear reasoning behind the use of offensive imagery and situations on the show. In the first season, Cartman dresses up like Hitler and then a KKK member for Halloween. It makes sense because he's a racist character. The mammy fish doesn't have any discernible reason to be depicted in blackface.

We don't know that yet because the joke's payoff might have not been revealed in the trailer.

JeTmAn81

DerZuhälter;249697728 said:
We don't know that yet because the joke's payoff might have not been revealed in the trailer.

That's certainly possible. I've been watching the show since around 2000 and there's usually a catch to things like this.

Catvoca

Banned
Man, I really liked Stick and am hoping this game is good but every reveal is some corny shit

Seems like different writers

Trey and Matt are still writing but I do wonder how much influence Obsidian had on the writing of SOT. Everything they've shown of this game has looked like trash to me.

Why do people keep putting the objections down to a lack of understanding? I understand perfectly that the mammy fish is a racist caricature. I'm not okay with it. This isn't about what "South Park is" whatever that means. This is about the decision they made to include this particular depiction in their game.

g11

I always thought the point of the Kanye/gay fish joke was his complete overreaction to someone insinuating he likes fish dicks instead of being a "huh huh, ur gay bruh" joke. Basically that he can't take a joke and is super insecure, possibly about his sexuality as well. But then I don't watch much SP so maybe I have that wrong.

The mammy fish though, goddamn, that was fucking tone deaf and really blatant too. They're not going to be able to plead ignorance or cultural differences on that one.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Why do people keep putting the objections down to a lack of understanding? I understand perfectly that the mammy fish is a racist caricature. I'm not okay with it. This isn't about what "South Park is" whatever that means. This is about the decision they made to include this particular depiction in their game.
They put it in the trailer... They are literally expecting this.

dan2026

How the hell are people still getting offended by South Park in 2017.
Its like I have been transported back twenty years.

Village

Racism really?
Its fucking South Park. They practically invented modern politically incorrect humour.

Yes, that was a use of racist imagery with out any context or commentary as a joke. That's pretty racist. And being the first to do something doesn't make you not racist

Do you have an actual argument?

Garlador

I edited your quote because that's what it reads like after 8 pages of this terrible 'it's just South Park, bro' deflection of the issue.

It's not new though...
D9RSOa2.png

Black-Zombies-Invade-South-Park-World-War-Zimmerman.jpg

south-park-chinese.jpg

giphy.gif

It IS just South Park... not that that absolves it of its choice of comedy or criticism.

Is there anything to the joke beyond calling Kanye gay and blackface? Because I don't get why this is being defended or why it's acceptable from two straight white guys.

Maybe I'm just super sensitive but making fun of someones dead mother and the video game they intended to design about their dead mother is a little too much for me

felt really awkward

PrimeBeef

Trey and Matt are still writing but I do wonder how much influence Obsidian had on the writing of SOT. Everything they've shown of this game has looked like trash to me.
The only hand Obsidian had in TSoT was to tell Matt and Trey that they had way too mich script for one game. They even joked about having DLC already written or a sequel or something alomg thise lines. But this goes totally along with the show. Sometimes it's good other tines it's not. Some aspects people finde funny and others not. I have now doubt it will be just as funny and relevant as TSoT was.

I do agree that we may not have seen the payoff yet. I also sent the clip to all the black guys I work with. 1 out of the 10 had a priblem with it and the other 9 gave him shit for getting upset over it. Take it for what it is, the one who hated it is 23, the others are between 45-60.

Village

I do agree that we may not have seen the payoff yet. I also sent the clip to all the black guys I work with. 1 out of the 10 had a priblem with it and the other 9 gave him shit for getting upset over it. Take it for what it is, the one who hated it is 23, the others are between 45-60.

That doesn't really mean anything because that's anecdotal and we don't know if anything you said is even real

The only hand Obsidian had in TSoT was to tell Matt and Trey that they had way too mich script for one game. They even joked about having DLC already written or a sequel or something alomg thise lines. But this goes totally along with the show. Sometimes it's good other tines it's not. Some aspects people finde funny and others not. I have now doubt it will be just as funny and relevant as TSoT was.

Dylann Roof had a black friend b

Old heads are likely to be ashy or just hate Kanye as irrationally as techbros anyway

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Racism really?
Its fucking South Park. They practically invented modern politically incorrect humour.
What's the punchline of this trailer? What's the commentary being made or purpose. Humor /satire/parody needs to have a point. South Park 's creators specifically should know that considering they had a multi episode rant about how humor needs a point via blasting family guy's sketch based humor.

Zeta Oni

I would love for someone on the "this is hilarious LOL love south park threads" side of things to take some time out of their clearly busy lives and explain to me what I'm missing.

What's the joke here?

Top Bottom