• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: TFBH "Game is Gold" Trailer

I didn't find anything racist within the video, but I found the joke to be in poor taste. Shouldn't bring his deceased mother into this.

Edit: Though, watching the video again, I can see how the fish might be questionable looking.

alexbull_uk

What's the punchline of this trailer? What's the commentary being made or purpose. Humor /satire/parody needs to have a point. South Park 's creators specifically should know that considering they had a multi episode rant about how humor needs a point via blasting family guy's sketch based humor.

I would love for someone on the "this is hilarious LOL love south park threads" side of things to take some time out of their clearly busy lives and explain to me what I'm missing.

What's the joke here?

It's ripping on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mf4NsyOUVg

Kanye riding a winged horse into heaven. Then growing wings himself?

Kanye's mum riding a winged horse into heaven. Then growing wings herself?

I would love for someone on the "this is hilarious LOL love south park threads" side of things to take some time out of their clearly busy lives and explain to me what I'm missing.

What's the joke here?

the joke is basically "haha, your mothers dead and now we're making fun of the video game you designed for her"

So ummm... yeah that's pretty much it.

I didn't find anything racist within the video, but I found the joke to be in poor taste. Shouldn't bring his deceased mother into this.

How is the portrayal of blackface by two white writers not racist? How is the joke from two straight guys that they think somebody acts gay not homophobic?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Edit: Though, watching the video again, I can see how the fish might be questionable looking.
That's probably the most clear cut stereotypical black caricature possible. Of a dead person no less.

Village

What's the joke here?

They wont, that would require confronting people and having a point.

This should be in the op or something. Seems like a lot of people are unaware what others are upset about.

okvoidx.png

mask.jpg

Nitsuj23

How funny.

They brought back the super dated homophobic Kanye joke from 10+ years ago. Mixed it with a semen joke and then used it to make fun of Kanye's dead mom.

I think the older you get the more eye-rolling the "edgyness" of South Park becomes.

I’m guessing someone brought it up in the nine pages of posts (or half that if you’re using 100 per page), but I think it’s because Kanye tried to make a video game about his own dead mom. Once you do that I feel like it’s fairly more open to jokes. Especially considering the premise of his game. I could see how it appears more offensive than intended if you didn’t already know Kanye was attempting to make a game about his mom ascending to heaven. How does one not poke fun at that idea?

Gattsu25

Banned
Isn't the "mum fish" just supposed to be a black coloured fish? That's what I thought it was.
There's multiple layers to this.

The fish with the chain is their depiction of kanye west as a gay fish. Kanye, in real life, is/was working on a game that depicts his deceased mother riding a white horse into heaven.

So they are mocking kanye by depicting his mom as a blackfaced fish complete with mammy voice acting because...?

So the joke is...?

Crossing Eden

I’m guessing someone brought it up in the nine pages of posts (or half that if you’re using 100 per page), but I think it’s because Kanye tried to make a video game about his own dead mom. Once you do that I feel like it’s fairly more open to jokes. Especially considering the premise of his game. I could see how it appears more offensive than intended if you didn’t already know Kanye was attempting to make a game about his mom ascending to heaven. How does one not poke fun at that idea?
Because a tribute to a dead loved one, (something. That's already been done in this industry), is nothing to joke about. There's no punchline or commentary there.

alexbull_uk

There's multiple layers to this.

The fish with the chain is their depiction of kanye west as a gay fish. Kanye, in real life, is/was working on a game that depicts his deceased mother riding a white horse into heaven.

So they are mocking kanye by depicting his mom as a blackfaced fish complete with mammy voice acting because...?

So the joke is...?

The joke is that the game Kanye is making about his mum is absurd, and highly open to mockery.

Nice use of a LMGTFY link btw, guarantees that you come off as slightly passive aggressive.

The Kanye fish is green though. Like, what kind of cartoon fish is black with thick red lips?

Pointed out above, but that's just the colour his character's costume was when they first did the "gay fish" bit, so it stuck here.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm guessing someone brought it up in the nine pages of posts (or half that if you're using 100 per page), but I think it's because Kanye tried to make a video game about his own dead mom. Once you do that I feel like it's fairly more open to jokes. Especially considering the premise of his game. I could see how it appears more offensive than intended if you didn't already know Kanye was attempting to make a game about his mom ascending to heaven. How does one not poke fun at that idea?
The joke is that the game Kanye is making about his mum is absurd, and highly open to mockery.

What is the joke behind the mammy depiction of her, though?

That his mom is a coon? That his mom is a mammy?

What is the joke behind making his mom a blackfaced mammy?

Nitsuj23

Because a tribute to a dead loved one, (something. That's already been done in this industry), is nothing to joke about. There's no punchline or commentary there.

I guess I just beg to differ. I can’t help but think the idea, and way it was presented, was a bit absurd. I’m not laughing because it’s a tribute to a dead loved one, I’m laughing because it’s an odd tribute. I’m obviously not the only one who felt that way. And you’re not alone in your feelings. Ultimately it’s not a huge deal.

Nice use of a LMGTFY link btw, guarantees that you come off as slightly passive aggressive.

I don't think Kanye making a videogame tribute to his mom, gives South Park the right to openly mock his deceased mother in that way.

It's in really, really poor taste. Even for South Park.

Edit: Some of you might find his tribute to be strange, fair enough. It's still HIS mother, he can grieve for her however he wishes. It does not automatically make her fair game for mockery.

Nitsuj23

What is the joke behind the mammy depiction of her, though?

That his mom is a coon? That his mom is a mammy?

What is the joke behind making his mom a blackfaced mammy?

I don’t think you can call her blackfaced since the whole fish’s body was black. It’s weird to talk about blackface of a cartoon fish, but if we’re going to, at least be accurate. It wasn’t just her face. And based on Google image searches, it looks like blackface tends to be overtly racist in how lips are presented. That wasn’t the case here either. They weren’t a bright red. It seemed like normal skin tone color for a black cartoon fish, not exaggerated in color or size.

Crossing Eden

I guess I just beg to differ. I can't help but think the idea, and way it was presented, was a bit absurd. I'm not laughing because it's a tribute to a dead loved one, I'm laughing because it's an odd tribute. I'm obviously not the only one who felt that way. And you're not alone in your feelings. Ultimately it's not a huge deal.
I find it more absurd that someone would look at that trailer And think "this person is making a representation of his belief that his mother became an angel and got into heaven, HOW ABSURD." Reads more like owtheedge.jpg logic and I say that as someone who's not very religious.

You see nothing even slightly absurd about a game where you literally play as Kanye's mum flying through the skies on a winged horse avoiding obstacles on your way to heaven? Seriously?
Read above.

Gattsu25

Banned
I don't think you can call her blackfaced since the whole fish's body was black. It's weird to talk about blackface of a cartoon fish, but if we're going to, at least be accurate. It wasn't just her face. And based on Google image searches, it looks like blackface tends to be overtly racist in how lips are presented. That wasn't the case here either. They weren't a bright red. It seemed like normal skin tone color for a black cartoon fish, not exaggerated in color or size.

Neither of these characters are blackface according to your definition:
VKEspZ2.jpg

7VLv4qFm.jpg

Nitsuj23

I find it more absurd that someone would look at that trailer And think "this person is making a representation of his belief that his mother became an angel and got into heaven, HOW ABSURD." Reads more like owtheedge.jpg logic and I say that as someone who's not very religious.

Have you seen the trailer? The flying pegasus? The music? It was closer to weird on a weird-normal spectrum to me. I’m not religious at all. Maybe that’s why.

alexbull_uk

Read above.

No, it's not the concept of his mum going to heaven I have any problem with.

It's the fact that you, the player, are actually controlling his mum flying through the skies on her way to heaven riding a horse with wings while avoiding obstacles, à la Flappy Bird.

I guess I'm the weird one, because I wouldn't "honour" my mum's memory like that.

Gattsu25

Banned
And the FISH has lips that look like that human? I mentioned lips in my post. Why’d you skim over that? This is a waste of time lol. I don’t care if you’re upset.

I skipped over it because neither of your points about the lips seemed earnest. Kanye's mom is depicted with the same puffed out lips just like both of my examples. And none of the three depictions have anything approaching similar colors for the lips so that was a non-starter :\

Nitsuj23

Maybe the contrast is off on my iPad, but those lips are incredibly less noticable than the two prior pictures posted of cartoon humans. The fact you needed an arrow I think proves that.

Top Bottom