• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: TFBH "Game is Gold" Trailer

It’s not even satire. They aren’t parodying perceptions or critiquing the racism of black face in a funny way. They just made a dated, tasteless “joke” about a man’s dead mother.

PixelatedBookake

How funny.

They brought back the super dated homophobic Kanye joke from 10+ years ago. Mixed it with a semen joke and then used it to make fun of Kanye's dead mom.

I think the older you get the more eye-rolling the "edgyness" of South Park becomes.

Yeah you sure stuck it to Kanye guys! Lol so funny GAY FISH lmaoooo Lets make fun of his dead mom using a racist caricature fish in a really lame joke altogether. Even a few years ago at E3 they made fun of the Donda West game like, come on, even in the context of comedy or humor it wasn't very funny and really mean-spirited.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
It's amazing that Ubisoft thought that this segment would be a good way of selling the game

Yeah, it's pretty awful. Only thing I can think of is that someone's trying to stir the pot. That mammy fish should have been caught by someone.

Linkura

Yeah you sure stuck it to Kanye guys! Lol so funny GAY FISH lmaoooo Lets make fun of his dead mom using a racist caricature fish in a really lame joke altogether. Even a few years ago at E3 they made fun of the Donda West game like, come on, even in the context of comedy or humor it wasn't very funny and really mean-spirited.

They meaning the South Park folks? Must have missed that. Not that I was still watching the show anymore or anything. But the blackface shit puts it on a whole new level of disgusting.

Opa-Pa

Man, South Park is such fucking garbage. Every time I think it's become better (like with the race and gender difficulty thing), they pull off some shit like this. And it wouldn't even be THAT terrible if its mindless fans didn't bring up the "satire" and "actually they seek to piss off everyone alike ;)" nonsense every time it gets criticized.

And shame on Ubisoft for allowing this crap too, ugh.

PixelatedBookake

They meaning the South Park folks? Must have missed that. Not that I was still watching the show anymore or anything. But the blackface shit puts it on a whole new level of disgusting.

I remember when Matt and Trey were at the ubi e3 press conference a couple years ago and they were making fun of Kanye's game about his Mom and it feeling really mean and made me uncomfortable.

This trailer is the same shit but worse with that blackface fish. Only funny part was the "see you soon" joke.

I really like South Park but man this trailer was fucked.

From earlier in the thread

Opa-Pa

How many of you that are mad with this, are actually black people?

Eh, are you black yourself?

Either way, joking about someone's dead mother for teh lulz is already shitty enough. The embarrassing racism is the icing on the cake.

PixelatedBookake

Here's a clip I found, not sure if there's more to it.
https://twitter.com/Precyse/status/743526020121264129

It turns out they weren't actually joking and ended up putting it in the game? And gave Kanye's mother blackface for the "lulz bro."

Oh well I guess they weren't joking since they put in the game, sure.

But tbh, as someone who lost their mother a few years ago and found solace in Kanye's music and really resonated and connected with it on an emotional level because of it, I really can't say I fuck with South Park anymore after this. I kinda forgot about the E3 thing, and there was the stuff about the race slider which was clever, but damn that mocking of Donda West with a mammy fish character was too distasteful for me bro.

How many of you that are mad with this, are actually black people?

What the fuck is this supposed to mean?

Messi

They didn't need to go for Kanyes mother again. That shit was bad at the press conference, it's worse here.

And blackface smh

Alain-Christian

Neo Member
I'd like to think that they (devs/artists) are SO not racist that they didn't see the mammy/jiggaboo connection until today with the Internet reaction.

I'm sure anybody black on the staff feels personally responsible for letting this slip too. I know I would. I probably wouldn't have spotted this either. My friends would be so mad at me.

"Yo, how did you not see that? You WORK there! That's some Mr. Popo shit right there."

"I don't knooooow! I feel awful! We don't want to release a game that turns people off like that. It's bad enough the first one had a long tail. It took a lot of word of mouth for sales to happen. This stupid thing could tank our game. FUCK! And in THIS climate? How did I not see this? I wish I said something. FUCK."

There's no way Donda fish is staying that way.

I mean, fucked up to make fun of the guy's mom in the first place but I really think this is an oversight and not intentionally racist. Just unfortunate.

The eyes and lips. Damn. If only they picked another animal. But then the fish sticks joke doesn't work anymore.

I assume they changed Kanye to a literal fish to avoid using his likeness for legal reasons. I forget, were there any "cameos" in stick of truth?

rjinaz

Oh well I guess they weren't joking since they put in the game, sure.

But tbh, as someone who lost their mother a few years ago and found solace in Kanye's music and really resonated and connected with it on an emotional level because of it, I really can't say I fuck with South Park anymore after this. I kinda forgot about the E3 thing, and there was the stuff about the race slider which was clever, but damn that mocking of Donda West with a mammy fish character was too distasteful for me bro.

What the fuck is this supposed to mean?

Faux outrage by White SJWs you know that whole shtick.

I'm a White person and can understand empathy. Sorry for those that can't.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'd like to think that they (devs/artists) are SO not racist that they didn't see the mammy/jiggaboo connection until today with the Internet reaction.

I'm sure anybody black on the staff feels personally responsible for letting this slip too. I know I would. I probably wouldn't have spotted this either. My friends would be so mad at me.

"Yo, how did you not see that? You WORK there! That's some Mr. Popo shit right there."

"I don't knooooow! I feel awful! We don't want to release a game that turns people off like that. It's bad enough the first one had a long tail. It took a lot of word of mouth for sales to happen. This stupid thing could tank our game. FUCK! And in THIS climate? How did I not see this? I wish I said something. FUCK."

There's no way Donda fish is staying that way.

I mean, fucked up to make fun of the guy's mom in the first place but I really think this is an oversight and not intentionally racist. Just unfortunate.

The eyes and lips. Damn. If only they picked another animal. But then the fish sticks joke doesn't work anymore.

I assume they changed Kanye to a literal fish to avoid using his likeness for legal reasons. I forget, were there any "cameos" in stick of truth?

Poe's Law is a bastard. Halfway through this post I realized it was not satire.

I’m still mind boggled that people defend this or even find it slightly funny. It’s dumb, it’s mean, and it’s overtly racist.

Cannot believe a major publisher is okay with putting this out to the world.

Alain-Christian

Neo Member
Poe's Law is a bastard. Halfway through this post I realized it was not satire.
I know it's an odd opinion. I have self-awareness. And an abundance of empathy. I didn't see the problem until others pointed it out. And yes, I'm very familiar with the imagery. I just. I dunno. I don't go about my life as there's a Klan member behind every corner waiting to attack me. I follow the "act as if" mantra and go about my life as if we're 1,000 years in the future and human beings have resolved their differences.

But that's naive because people always find reasons to draw lines in the sand. Even those with the same skin color.

But also, I really do hope/think it's an oversight. Why would a major company stupidly put something like this in it KNOWING it would hurt their sales and make them look like they support racism? I don't see it. It just doesn't make any sense. Why even bother making the game? Just tank your company with a few choice tweets on twitter and be done with it.

Bro, they TWEETED THIS OUT AS A TEASER! LOL, they clearly had no idea! They didn't see what was wrong with it, clearly! (I'm laughing over the schadenfreude.)

This is a Curb Your Enthusiasm level boner right here. Cue the trombone. I'm TELLING YOU they're gonna change/fix this.

Yeah, there's a few.

At one point you fight an aborted fetus from Khloe Kardashian.

Well then that just raises further questions.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yeah, there's a few.

At one point you fight an aborted fetus from Khloe Kardashian.

Khloe was just referenced not actually shown if I'm not mistaken. I believe the only three celebs whose likenesses were actually used were Al Gore, David Hasselhoff(literally a photo cutout of his face and some photos of him) and Morgan Freeman. Everyone else was just mentioned, but not shown.

So there might be some kind of legal/rights reason when it comes to games versus their TV show. I can't see any reason why they would make Kanye an actual fish if there wasn't actually anything from stopping them from just using the same Aquaman look from the show.

Gattsu25

Banned
I know it's an odd opinion. I have self-awareness. And an abundance of empathy. I didn't see the problem until others pointed it out. And yes, I'm very familiar with the imagery. I just. I dunno. I don't go about my life as there's a Klan member behind every corner waiting to attack me. I follow the "act as if" mantra and go about my life as if we're 1,000 years in the future and human beings have resolved their differences.

But that's naive because people always find reasons to draw lines in the sand. Even those with the same skin color.

But also, I really do hope/think it's an oversight. Why would a major company stupidly put something like this in it KNOWING it would hurt their sales and make them look like they support racism? I don't see it. It just doesn't make any sense. Why even bother making the game? Just tank your company with a few choice tweets on twitter and be done with it.

Bro, they TWEETED THIS OUT AS A TEASER! LOL, they clearly had no idea! They didn't see what was wrong with it, clearly! (I'm laughing over the schadenfreude.)

This is a Curb Your Enthusiasm level boner right here. Cue the trombone. I'm TELLING YOU they're gonna change/fix this.

Well then that just raises further questions.

I agree that it's a weird look but I don't think it was missed or overlooked that kanye's mom is depicted as a racist stereotype considering they hit both the visuals and the voice. I see this as intentional on the part of the developers, at least.

Not sure about Ubisoft's PR department but I doubt this was a surprise to them, either.

Eh, are you black yourself?

Either way, joking about someone's dead mother for teh lulz is already shitty enough. The embarrassing racism is the icing on the cake.
Agreed completely. I loved them giving it to Kanye in the show before, but this is just shitty of them. They remind of school bullies at this point in terms of assholery.

Here’s the thing. If you don’t see a problem that’s on you. You have either accepted this as a normal thing OR have blinders on. This isn’t a “laugh off the crazy innocent mistake we made” over beers issue. This is a blatantly mean spirited racist trailer.

So actually say what you think it is instead of giving Ubisoft a BS out.

Alain-Christian

Neo Member
I agree that it's a weird look but I don't think it was missed or overlooked that kanye's mom is depicted as a racist stereotype considering they hit both the visuals and the voice. I see this as intentional on the part of the developers, at least.

Not sure about Ubisoft's PR department but I doubt this was a surprise to them, either.

I know it's naive but I'm just hoping it was an oversight. Whatever explanation they give won't be satisfying. We'll never know (or believe?) their side.

As far as the voice, they've used that old lady voice numerous times. But everything else: the fish eyes, fish lips colored red, the dark skin, it was the perfect storm. Oh well.

I think it was a dumbass oversight in terms of the racist depiction. That doesn't make it better though. The voice is pretty much what they gave Chef's mom so it doesn't rub me wrong. The lips though...not a smart move. The voice and the lips together are a bad combo.

Gattsu25

Banned
Pulling the mammy voice out of retirement doesn't make it any better. Especially when the voice is coming out of an actual mammy'd up character.

When you think South Park finally get it and is aiming higher, they come up with this shit.

I'm cancelling my pre order.

Btw: black guy here.

DarkKyo

I know it's naive but I'm just hoping it was an oversight. Whatever explanation they give won't be satisfying. We'll never know (or believe?) their side.

As far as the voice, they've used that old lady voice numerous times. But everything else: the fish eyes, fish lips colored red, the dark skin, it was the perfect storm. Oh well.

Not to change the subject and nothing against you or your opinion obviously, but your username reminded me of this hehe : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxuwXczWQC0

"actually it's alain"

Opa-Pa

She should be green like Kanye, I don't have a PhD in being offended though.

Gee what a hardass.

Me neither actually. Good thing all it takes is a bit of empathy and commonly sense to see how shitty and racist that part of the trailer is, though!

C4Lukins

We all have different levels of what is racist or not.

The City Wok Asian character for instance is as old as the show itself.

Like almost 20 years of recreated the Breakfest at Tiffanys character. Nobody gave a shit, because it was a parody of decades old film, or maybe Asian viewers were not offended, or they kept it to themselves.

Now I can totally empathize with people who are maybe several years younger then myself.

What makes South Park work is that they attack everyone. If you are a part of a religion, or movement of any kind, they will get to you eventually.

One of the more interesting examples is they had Mohamed as a super hero in the early years. A few years later they tried to reintroduce the character, and were shut down out of fear. Nobody had shit to say the first time around, but fascist goofballs mowed down a parody newspaper in France.

And I am not sure which happened first, but displaying this particular character was all of the sudden banned by the network.

Like almost 20 years of recreated the Breakfest at Tiffanys character. Nobody gave a shit, because it was a parody of decades old film, or maybe Asian viewers were not offended, or they kept it to themselves.

Now I can totally empathize with people who are maybe several years younger then myself.

What makes South Park work is that they attack everyone. If you are a part of a religion, or movement of any kind, they will get to you eventually.

One of the more interesting examples is they had Mohamed as a super hero in the early years. A few years later they tried to reintroduce the character, and were shut down out of fear. Nobody had shit to say the first time around, but fascist goofballs mowed down a parody newspaper in France.

And I am not sure which happened first, but displaying this particular character was all of the sudden banned by the network.

But it's like you said, the City Wok character is a parody of Breakfast at Tiffany's. Almost all racial and minority caricatures in South Park usually existed in South Park to comment on the use of the caricature itself. Not just to simply indulge in the caricature.

Here we have the racist imagery, but all it's being used for is to insult a dead woman whose only apparent fault is being Kanye's loving mom. There's a huge difference between what South Park was doing then with racism and what South Park is doing now with Donda West.

Gross post all around. I get your angle though.

Times change my bud (like you said 20 years) But I appreciate you mixing the Mohammed controversy into this new thing.

Overt, blatant, mean spirited racist humor isn’t funny. I understand you LOVE Southpark but stop trying to defend this one. Take the L.

Top Bottom