• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: TFBH "Game is Gold" Trailer

Jesus.

It seems we can only have Gamergaters on the one hand, and snowflakes on the other? Is there no middle ground possible where it's okay to laugh about (or okay to not laugh but also to not get so easily offended) about things?

Kanye started this; commodifying his dead mother by literally making a game about his mother's death. Once such a game is out in the open; it's out there to get played, it's out there to get criticized, and it's out there to be made fun of. If you didn't want others to get entertained by your mother's death, don't make a fucking video game about it.

As for making it better by not making it a black fish? Is this really still an issue with Trey and Matt? Seriously? They've been going at human stupidity for 20 years now. Surely their agenda must seem at least a bit progressive by now?
I dont give a damn about his mother being dead and being used in a joke.

But I am not ok with that black face shit in 2017.

I dont give a damn about his mother being dead and being used in a joke.

But I am not ok with that black face shit in 2017.

How's it black face? His mother was black and the fish was black? Should they make her white and then what?

I'm asking how would you represent kanyes mom?

okvoidx.png

Holy shit. What the fuck were they thinking?

How's it black face? His mother was black and the fish was black? Should they make her white and then what?

Maybe not like this.

Seriously if you don't get it, just type "minstrelsy" into google images.

Not in a minstrel/Mammy way?

How has this thread been going all day and people are still asking this question?

There is good news today.

And that good news is that Obsidian did not work on the South Park video game sequel.

Amen to that.

These are 2 40+ year old Americans they know dam well what blackface imagery is. They could have made the fish green like Kanye was, or they could have removed the red lips, but they didn't because they knew what they were doing.

Edit: I wonderd why your name seemed familiar.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=31592175

No wonder you would defend this.

Nzyme32

I think many people are forgetting the Kanye "Gay Fish" joke stems from episodes of the show, so they look for a way to continue it - but the joke about the Kanye game was immediate, with both Matt and Trey tearing into the idea at the Ubi press conference

Mutombo

If a black person is offended by a black fish representing a black person; than honestly; I take a few of my statements back. Making the fish green would've brought the same point home and not be needlessly offensive. I give you that.

I think some of the problems in this use of imagery come from the discrepancy between green fish kanye and black fish mom. Either both should've been green, or both should've been black?

The term black face is used for white people donning black faces; a make believe of being and appropriating black cultures. I'm not sure if the term can be used if a black person is doing black face?

Ladekabel

By some of the posts in here I'm honestly not surprised any more that the video games community (self called "gamers") have a racism problem. And people wonder why "gamers" have it hard on Tinder.

IrishNinja

How funny.

They brought back the super dated homophobic Kanye joke from 10+ years ago. Mixed it with a semen joke and then used it to make fun of Kanye's dead mom.

I think the older you get the more eye-rolling the "edgyness" of South Park becomes.

this is my exact take on the entire franchise, right here
i enjoyed the last game but this reeks of another rental-at-best

If a black person is offended by a black fish representing a black person; than honestly; I take a few of my statements back. Making the fish green would've brought the same point home and not be needlessly offensive. I give you that.

I think some of the problems in this use of imagery come from the discrepancy between green fish kanye and black fish mom. Either both should've been green, or both should've been black?

The term black face is used for white people donning black faces; a make believe of being and appropriating black cultures. I'm not sure if the term can be used if a black person is doing black face?

Its not the fact the fish was black it was the racist they choose to portray her
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249738972&postcount=655

By some of the posts in here I'm honestly not surprised any more that the video games community (self called "gamers") have a racism problem. And people wonder why "gamers" have it hard on Tinder.

You should probably grab this kind of conclusions from the Pewdiepie threads, this is really mild in comparison to a guy yelling fucking n in a livestream watched by thousands of children and then being defended by youtuber cunts.

This is just southpark being southpark, as it's always been. People realizing the shit the show does, just now, it's really interesting.

Ladekabel

You should probably grab this kind of conclusions from the Pewdiepie threads, this is really mild in comparison to a guy yelling fucking n in a livestream watched by thousands of children and then being defended by youtuber cunts.

This is just southpark being southpark, as it's always been. People realizing the shit the show does, just now, it's really interesting.

I got to this conclusion quite a while ago but I'm always surprised that "gamers" want their hobby to be accepted in the main stream but always support homophobe, misogyny and racism.

I like South Park (at least older episodes) and while there was stuff that was questionable for me even back as a teen, I don't remember it this bad. Though I haven't seen much of the latest seasons but stuff like Cartman or Butters in racist Chinese costumes made sense to me in the context. But this is seems just mean spirited to Kanye West because he is an easy target that nerds on 9GAG and what other sites there are love to hate/make fun of.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I didn't know that the black fish was a black actor and not a cartoon caricature created by 2 white dudes.

The more you know.

I got to this conclusion quite a while ago but I'm always surprised that "gamers" want their hobby to be accepted in the main stream but always support homophobe, misogyny and racism.

I like South Park (at least older episodes) and while there was stuff that was questionable for me even back as a teen, I don't remember it this bad. Though I haven't seen much of the latest seasons but stuff like Cartman or Butters in racist Chinese costumes made sense to me in the context. But this is seems just mean spirited to Kanye West because he is an easy target that nerds on 9GAG and what other sites there are love to hate/make fun of.

This is shitty, i agree. However Kanye has always been an easy target because he is fucking dumb and has said and done a lot of questionable shit, see Cosby, see Trump support, etc.

However you should rewatch southpark and see for yourself the kind of stuff they've done before. The F word episode, the trans episode with the dolphins, etc. I really like some episodes of the show ("You're getting old" it's such a beautiful piece of reflection in animation form) but their main appeal is generating fuzz, Trey and Matt love making people angry whatever the cost it takes. That's their way of doing comedy, and it's not new.

Harmen

I like South Park and look forward to the game. But Matt and Trey sometimes definitely cross the line and this is, to me, clearly one of those cases. So yes, I agree with the criticism here.

I think many people are forgetting the Kanye "Gay Fish" joke stems from episodes of the show, so they look for a way to continue it - but the joke about the Kanye game was immediate, with both Matt and Trey tearing into the idea at the Ubi press conference
I don't think anyone is forgetting that dumb as fuck joke and they were more than welcome to joke about it, I'm sure even Kanye's best supporters see that game as weird.

Why the blackface, though? Why the Mammy portrayal?

Kanye defense force is the reason. Suddenly it's not ok because this is dEEp for Kanye and shit. I mean Steve Irwin was depicted with the ray's sting crossing his heart, ffs.
If that is what your take is after all of these pages of conversation, then I feel sorry for you.

otakukidd

The mammy stuff is super shitty. I'll probably bet they patch it out and just make the fish green. Unlike the show where they are all over it, this is a game they don't have a 100 involvement in and could see it slip by. I believe they came up with the idea but didn't come up with that design.

Probably day 1. Heres hoping they dont hold back on the humour to appease some people complaining online.

YEAH! MORE BLACK FACE PLZ! (You may not be intending it, but if you read the thread, it's how the comment looks on the outside.)

This is shitty, i agree. However Kanye has always been an easy target because he is fucking dumb and has said and done a lot of questionable shit, see Cosby, see Trump support, etc.

However you should rewatch southpark and see for yourself the kind of stuff they've done before. The F word episode, the trans episode with the dolphins, etc. I really like some episodes of the show ("You're getting old" it's such a beautiful piece of reflection in animation form) but their main appeal is generating fuzz, Trey and Matt love making people angry whatever the cost it takes. That's their way of doing comedy, and it's not new.

First point: Kanye does dumb shit. Make fun of him for that. Please. By all means. Make fun of him for Cosby. Make fun of him for Trump. Go to town. But you make fun of him by depicting his mom as a "Mammy" with the only joke being "Lol look at Kanye's fucking black-ass Mammy lol", and that's some fucking dumb shit.

Second point: It's been addressed one billion times in this thread that South Park almost always uses offensive tropes or stereotypes to make a deeper point that "LOL STEREOTYPE". A prime example (and one of my favorites) is the Special Olympics episode dealing with Jimmy's doping habit. What could've been just a whole bunch of route bullshit turned into something far better because Matt and Trey wanted to do way more than just write: "LOL HANDICAPS!".

I grew up with South Park and idoled Matt and Trey for years. I know they're better than this level of fucking bullshit.

What in the fuck are you talking about? I guess this:
76d9f51819dbbb1dbc517883fa3411b2--all-black-black-art.jpg

Isn't offensive since it's portraying a black person and not a white person in makeup? Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

Racist cartoonish characitures of black people go back centuries.

Trup1aya

This is not about if the joke was funny or not - it was not - but that actually doesn't matter one bit, as there's no such thing as a funny racist joke.

This is about a racist and furthermore inadequate and offensive joke, and South Park has a well documented history of those, so I wonder why this one in particular makes people break with the show.

I dunno, i generally get the humor. The absurdity racism is usually the butt of the joke.

In this case, the joke is that she's a black mother.

Yukinari

Everyone who doesnt wanna support a game for whatever reason is in their right as a consumer to do so.

But its just crazy to think that all it took is one trailer to cause a shift like this. A trailer they didnt have to make.

Everyone who doesnt wanna support a game for whatever reason is in their right as a consumer to do so.

But its just crazy to think that all it took is one trailer to cause a shift like this. A trailer they didnt have to make.

Well if you compare it to the Stick of Truth trailer this goes full edge lord South Park. I haven’t been really feeling the direction of the game since that Ubisoft reveal at E3. I remember the Giantbomb crew were pretty down on it too and if I recall a lot of them liked the Stick of Truth.

L Thammy

I'm kind of curious as to what the reaction would be if Trey and Matt made an actual minstrel show. Not a subversive one, but made a straight up 1800s style "look at how dumb black people are, man, don't you miss slavery" thing with a cast of all white actors covered in greasepaint. If people saw that, how would they defend that? Would it be something like:

"It's so ridiculous that I just took it as a joke."

"Sorry, I have no empathy for people with thin skin."

"Trey and Matt have a long history proving that they're liberals."

"They make fun of everyone."

"They've been doing this for years. I can't believe people are still upset about it now."

"Who determines what you can and can't make fun of? Where do you draw the line?"

"How many of you that are upset are actually black?"

"It's okay because it's making fun of Kanye West."

"I don't have a PhD in being offended."

"The actors painted their entire bodies instead of just their face so it isn't blackface."​

Why wouldn't those same statements show up then?

JABEE

That was definitely some minstrel, Gone With The Wind "mammy" shit. The design of the character and the lines.

It's fucked up. It looks like someone trying to use ancient blackface humor and get away with it because it is a cartoon.

On the other hand, I can't help but feel like using it in the promotional material of the game is a calculated decision made by whoever signs off on the marketing plans for this game.

hbkdx12

Even ignoring where people's sensibilities lie and whether or not you find this offensive, it's comical that people are really standing on the mantle of 'it could just be a fish who happens to be black'

Really, people?

Everytime i see someone defend some egregiously racially insensitive shit i think of this:

8L0y2Q5.gif

and instead change Ja Rule with boogie

Top Bottom