• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: TFBH "Game is Gold" Trailer

RPGam3r

This seems par for the course, its kinda interesting how this show continues to get to people after all these years.

Kildrek

You can stop beating around the bush and just admit you find racist shit funny and have no proper defense for the "joke".

None of you posting shit like this, which is every page btw, still has yet to explain what's so funny.

I find controversial things funny because it makes people uncomfortable. Once again, I never said I like that they make fun of one specific group of people. I enjoy that they make fun of everyone.

This is no different than any black comedian having a caricature of white people in his act as far as I'm concerned because I also don't get offended at that either.

I never said I found their joke funny, I only said that it's pretty hilarious to allow south park of all things to ruin your day.

But nah, your world exists in a land where only two things can exist. Either it is or it isn't with no varying shades allowed.

Your world sounds like so much fun.

I find controversial things funny because it makes people uncomfortable. Once again, I never said I like that they make fun of one specific group of people. I enjoy that they make fun of everyone.

This is no different than any black comedian having a caricature of white people in his act as far as I'm concerned because I also don't get offended at that either.

I never said I found their joke funny, I only said that it's pretty hilarious to allow south park of all things to ruin your day.

But nah, your world exists in a land where only two things can exist. Either it is or it isn't with no varying shades allowed.

Mammy face is the same as a black comedian's white guy impression? Like historically? Culturally? Is that what you're saying?

L Thammy

There is a massive difference between "white people can't dance" as a stereotype and "look, the blacks actually loved slavery all along" as a stereotype.
Hell, even calling the mammy a caricature or stereotype is a little deceptive because it exists purely as an image to justify slavery; its history wasn't an exaggeration of reality.
I suspect that you know that on some level, though.

Zeta Oni

So no, you can't explain what's so funny about it.

Didn't need a paragraph to admit that.

A black comic making fun of how a white guy dances is punching up.

Two white guys making fun of a dead black woman using blackface/mammy stereotypes is punching down.

There is a very distinct difference in comedy.

Historical and cultural context matters. The entire point of RDJ's character in Tropic Thunder was making fun of the self-centered, tone-deaf stupid assholes who can't tell the difference.

SpaceWolf

Banned
If you find yourself laughing at the use of minstrel blackface and instinctively feel the need to start to making excuses for it as "no different to black comedians making fun of white people!", you probably need to re-examine your priorities.

A black comic making fun of how a white guy dances is punching up.

Two white guys making fun of a dead black woman using blackface/mammy stereotypes is punching down.

There is a very distinct difference in comedy.

Historical and cultural context matters. The entire point of RDJ's character in Tropic Thunder was making fun of the self-centered, tone-deaf stupid assholes who can't tell the difference.

A prime fucking example of how to use racial, offensive imagery to comment on the use of racial, offensive imagery. I get where people might get offended by it, but at least it was trying for something.

jrcbandit

How did the thread explode this much for a stupid joke? I really dislike Kanye West so anything making fun of that idiot is fine by me, especially that pretentious game trailer he released in 2016... As for the mother fish, I thought it was black just because the fish was dead, not "blackface", how the hell did people reach for that lol.

Kildrek

How did the thread explode this much for a stupid joke? I really dislike Kanye West so anything making fun of that idiot is fine by me, especially that pretentious game trailer he released in 2016... As for the mother fish, I thought it was black just because the fish was dead, not "blackface", how the hell did people reach for that lol.

Better get your flame shield ready.

LotusHD

Banned

That's a new one

because fish/people turn black when they die? And you accuse other people of reaching?

Beefy

Read the thread look at the pics, it is obvious. Lol at fish is black cus it dead.

Because the accent of Kanye's mom was ridiculously offensive in addition to being black? It's on the same gross/racist level as the random Detroit lady from Deus Ex.

bitbydeath

It's an American thing.

Better get your flame shield ready.

Comes into thread talking about how racist thing is racist. Says maybe thing isn't really that racist or that racist thing shouldn't be called racist. Gets told racist thing is racist.

But yeah, burned. Ouch. What a hard life for a South Park fan. (Speaking from experience.)

L Thammy

No it isn't

I'm sure Europeans don't know anything about racism.

goedenkoetschaf0.jpg

Why?

Like, fine. You're making fun of Kanye West again. Whatever, the gay fish episode was originally pretty funny, I don't take issue with that.

Now you're making fun of the tribute game to his mom, I guess. Whatever. I didn't know about it to begin with, a little tasteless, but even as someone who liked (I haven't watched it in a few years) South Park, I understand they can be kind of hit or miss. Fine.

...Why would you make her look like that? Why does she sound like that? Why would you approve this trailer? I don't understand. The only people who would be laughing at the mammy fish are either people who are ignorant of the mammy stereotype, or people who KNOW she's mammy and think that's hilarious.

I don't understand.

Ivan 3414

If you're going to be offensive, at least be funny about it.

Yet again, South Park fails to do that. They're not funny when they aren't purposefully offensive. They're not funny when they are purposefully offensive.

South Park will always be an edgy waste of time.

If you're going to be offensive, at least be funny about it.

Yet again, South Park fails to do that. They're not funny when they aren't purposefully offensive. They're not funny when they are purposefully offensive.

South Park will always be an edgy waste of time.

Bojack Horseman + Rick and Morty have both surprassed South Park in terms of this type of humor (while not stooping so low). South Park isn't much of a loss for me if they want to keep this up.

To be honest, I feel I've outgrown them for quite some time.

c1d

Had a great time with Stick of Truth, looking forward to seeing how they've improved with this one (looks like the battles should be much more interesting at least)

How are they reaching?

bitbydeath

Making light of racism will make it go away, right.

Can you provide more info as to how that would work?

I believe banning religion would go a long way for it as it creates an intentional divide between people. Sadly that won't pass overnight though but as society becomes less interested it will happen eventually.

HiiiLife

Fish turned black because it's dead...lol.

And I've seen blackface from Australian residents. It's not just an American thing.

Top Bottom