• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: TFBH "Game is Gold" Trailer

I love how people hate Kanye West so much that it overrides any sort of empathy.

Man tries to make a game about his mother going to heaven and instead he gets a bunch of people who can name every track composed by David Wise or Uematsu but get confused & angry when Ariana Grande infects their pure Final Fantasy telling him it's cool Parker & Stone portrayed his dead mother as a stereotype fish and satirized his attempt at honoring her because he dared to be a massive cunt in their presence.

t hicks

Banned
I love how people hate Kanye West so much that it overrides any sort of empathy.

Man tries to make a game about his mother going to heaven and instead he gets a bunch of people who can name every track composed by David Wise or Uematsu telling him it's cool Parker & Stone portrayed his dead mother as a stereotype fish and satirized his attempt at honoring her because he dared to be a massive cunt.

for real man
people can be so gross

Is Kanye kinda of a dick? Yes. Does he deserve to have his Dead Mother insulted? No.

Although I think Kanye West is an idiot, I believe the "gay fish" joke is already beaten to death. If they wanted to make fun of his game, I guess that's fine, even if his mom was used as an object in the joke. I'm OK with that. However, using a racist stereotype, without any justification, or context that would warrant that, is just wrong. They're not making fun of the stereotype, they're just using it to because it's a prank bro.

Linkura

Lot of angry youtube comments aimed at gaf. I wonder how many of them are disgruntled gaf members.

everyone-gif-4.gif

Or former (banned) members.

Yeah... I don't know WTF they were thinking "mammying" that. I was heavily considering pre-ordering but eh... I got a bad feeling about this and I'm not a fan of SRPGs.

Also love that this game is less than a month from release and they've released next to nothing on that season pass.

So you and others cancelling were fine with South Park bashing and/or taking the piss out of every minority (and not minority) for 20 years until this trailer right now?

There is a line. Just because you make edgy or controversial content doesnt mean you cant go to far. I have watched and enjoyed south park in the past. I never really had an issue with the way they portrayed black people(Chefs parents) because every one was getting it. But this minstrel/mammy representation is over the line. Some things just are not acceptable, and trying to bring this type of racial humour back is one of them.

LotusHD

Banned
So you and others cancelling were fine with South Park bashing and/or taking the piss out of every minority (and not minority) for 20 years until this trailer right now?

More like I primarily just wanted to call his bluff. That said, it is true that I don't like mammy imagery, so what is one to do... :p

Kanye West making a mobile game for his dead mother is ridiculous. I understand the way SP ridiculed it isn't the best, but can we not entertain a narcissist that is obviously not fulfilling his mother's wishes in any way but continuing his delusions of being the "greatest man to have ever lived".

Why is Donda West depicted as a mammy figure when she was an academic and professor? Not that the stereotype can be justified anyway but come on. Also she's dead.

Kanye West making a mobile game for his dead mother is ridiculous. I understand the way SP ridiculed it isn't the best, but can we not entertain a narcissist that is obviously not fulfilling his mother's wishes in any way but continuing his delusions of being the "greatest man to have ever lived".
Don't be an asshole.

If the best thing you've ever done for your mom is buy a pre-made card and some flowers, don't shit on a man for trying to make a more lasting monument to a woman who meant so much to him.

mocking it alone isnt the reason for the backlash. As for Kanye, I'm not a fan of his music but I honestly like the dude. I know he has some demons he has been fighting his whole life, like a lot of artists do, so he says/does shit that doesn't sit right with people but I think his reputation is unfair. No matter what he did after, a shitload of people were always going to hate him after the gwb thing.

Anyways getting a little off topic but I think if they just mocked the mobile game or something it would've been different vs. the racist imagery

Jocund

And who are you to criticize the way a son honors his mother?

Mr. X

Who made you the authority on honoring dead family members?

I can't believe I missed this trailer.
Just canceled my preorder to be honest and I don't mean the "haha canceled the preorder xD" sort of way. Fuck this shit.

Seems kinda weird that there's not a huge backlash already (especially with the way things have been going for the last couple of months). I've been reading this thread since yesterday and finally got the chance to see the video. To my surprised, the like/dislike ratio as well as the comment section doesn't seem to match the negative reception here.

NoKisum

Seems kinda weird that there's not a huge backlash already (especially with the way things have been going for the last couple of months). I've been reading this thread since yesterday and finally got the chance to see the video. To my surprised, the like/dislike ratio as well as the comment section doesn't seem to match the negative reception here.
Because it hasn't been talked about on Kotaku or CNN.

It's amazing, isn't it?
Make fun of their favorite rapper's ill-conceived idea for an endless runner for mobile phones and suddenly it's like
Happy-Clapping-To-Dramatic-WTF-Reaction-GIf.gif

I'm still pretty excited about this game. Feels an awful lot like people just find reasons to be upset and angry about anything and everything anymore. Maybe that's just me, who knows and lets be honest I'm just one guy so who really cares about my opinion. Is it inappropriate? Sure it is. But at the same time people act like South Park has ever been above literally any of this. Ah well, still looking forward to it and can't wait for next month.

Feels an awful lot like people just find reasons to be upset and angry about anything and everything anymore.

No

There is nothing wrong with liking South Park and also being interested in hearing why people are offended. Not everyone has the same experiences and not everyone is bothered by the same shit. No one should be shamed for taking offense. South Park also doesn't get a free pass just because it's known for offending people.

No

There is nothing wrong with liking South Park and also being interested in hearing why people are offended. Not everyone has the same experiences and not everyone is bothered by the same shit. No one should be shamed for taking offense. South Park also doesn't get a free pass just because it's known for offending people.

I never said it should get a free pass or shaming anyone for taking offense. Just making an observation that people seem to be more easily offended now more than ever. Or perhaps it's just more vocal now. I also don't think anyone should've really expected more from South Park though, considering the whole show's history with pushing limits. I guess what I'm saying is this shouldn't be taking anyone by surprise, not to say they shouldn't be offended or upset since I'm not telling anyone how they should think or feel.

BADMAN

I never said it should get a free pass or shaming anyone for taking offense. Just making an observation that people seem to be more easily offended now more than ever. Or perhaps it's just more vocal now. I also don't think anyone should've really expected more from South Park though, considering the whole show's history with pushing limits. I guess what I'm saying is this shouldn't be taking anyone by surprise, not to say they shouldn't be offended or upset since I'm not telling anyone how they should think or feel.

I expect more from South Park. Offensive comedy only works when there's satire or a deeper meaning to the material. The structure of this joke was "Lets bring back the gay fish joke and make fun of Kanye's dead mom game" which is more mean spirited than actually funny. They probably realised the joke wasn't hitting hard enough so they gave Kanye's fish mom a mammy face. There's no satire to that joke. It's offensive for the sake of being offensive.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
If you don’t like it. Cool, cancel your preorder and go on with your day.

If you do like it, cool. Play the game and laugh at whatever you find funny.

How is it not just that simple? Things can be offensive to some but not others, humour can be racist, raunchy, over the top and even disgusting. But, hey, everyone has different tastes and likes what they like or hates what they hate.

Projecting a world view on another poster because they find humour in something that offends you isn’t really appropriate, I’ve got no doubt that some of the most staunchant voices denouncing this game in this thread probably have laughed at, or even made comments similar to the content found in a typical South Park episode.

If you’re a moral bastion and are the model of human decency, congratulations. But getting this irate over a piece of content? Then just don’t play it. Don’t shit on other people for potentially enjoying something.

One of the big factors that gives South Park a huge pass for me is that at no point is it ever taken seriously. I’ve never watched any South Park content and thought “this changes my world view!” - all their parody and sometimes overly stupid jokes are just that. Every one is fair game and everyone will be offended at some point. But I’ve never seen South Park as a serious show that is meant to be taken literally or to heart.

I watch the show weekly. And yes there are some real groaner moments that make me go “did they really do that?” But then I remember that them “doing that” is literally their mission in creating the show they create. It’s meant to make you think that.

Hell, Team america, Book of Mormon, both are super offensive to many people, and I’m surprised more Americans don’t realize just how much of a joke Team America is on themselves.

In the end, if you think they’ve gone too far. That’s your right and good on you for drawing a line, but dont belittle others because they don’t have the same line you do. It’s up to each individual to dictate what they find funny or offensive. Let them have their fun, their enjoyment doesn’t affect you at all, and if it does, you’ve got bigger issues to work out.

Edit: and to be fair, I did not pick up on the blackface racial epithet on Kanye’s mother’s fish at all. It didn’t even dawn on me until reading this thread.

aPyIxs6.png

Looks like we already have Too Far Pt.2 in the books and the game isn't even out yet.

Can see why people might be uncomfortable with it but I don't mind it too much.

The first game had a level in an abortion clinic where the final boss was the aborted nazi zombie fetus of Khloe Kardashian who was Sieg Heiling you. For context.

Whole thing reminded me of this episode....

Good points made, I agree.

C4Lukins

Perhaps take two seconds to read the thread to find out why people are """freaking out""" aka being critical of racism.

You can read all of it, and still find it ridiculous.

Humour is probably the best uniting thing. It is the inability for some to logically deduce a joke, and attempt to divide us that is a problem.

Well that is simplifying it, you have the people who use the joke in a negative way to justify whatever.

But overall, we should be able to not only laugh at those on the opposite political spectrum, the middle of the road folks, and the jokes directly aimed at your own beliefs.

That is how we communicate. And South Park more then any other show out there, produces these conflicts. And it does so by showing how silly it is to debate an issue, and ignore all the middle ground.

It is a satire on the inability of humans to communicate their thoughts, and those people unwilling to listen.

If you do like it, cool. Play the game and laugh at whatever you find funny.

How is it not just that simple? Things can be offensive to some but not others, humour can be racist, raunchy, over the top and even disgusting. But, hey, everyone has different tastes and likes what they like or hates what they hate.

Projecting a world view on another poster because they find humour in something that offends you isn’t really appropriate, I’ve got no doubt that some of the most staunchant voices denouncing this game in this thread probably have laughed at, or even made comments similar to the content found in a typical South Park episode.

If you’re a moral bastion and are the model of human decency, congratulations. But getting this irate over a piece of content? Then just don’t play it. Don’t shit on other people for potentially enjoying something.

One of the big factors that gives South Park a huge pass for me is that at no point is it ever taken seriously. I’ve never watched any South Park content and thought “this changes my world view!” - all their parody and sometimes overly stupid jokes are just that. Every one is fair game and everyone will be offended at some point. But I’ve never seen South Park as a serious show that is meant to be taken literally or to heart.

I watch the show weekly. And yes there are some real groaner moments that make me go “did they really do that?” But then I remember that them “doing that” is literally their mission in creating the show they create. It’s meant to make you think that.

Hell, Team america, Book of Mormon, both are super offensive to many people, and I’m surprised more Americans don’t realize just how much of a joke Team America is on themselves.

In the end, if you think they’ve gone too far. That’s your right and good on you for drawing a line, but dont belittle others because they don’t have the same line you do. It’s up to each individual to dictate what they find funny or offensive. Let them have their fun, their enjoyment doesn’t affect you at all, and if it does, you’ve got bigger issues to work out.

Edit: and to be fair, I did not pick up on the blackface racial epithet on Kanye’s mother’s fish at all. It didn’t even dawn on me until reading this thread.

Blah blah. We all agree - even with you’re edit - that it’s okay to enjoy jokes.

It’s just a simple fact - if you like this “joke” you like racist jokes. Good on you. You like racist jokes and find this humorous.

Seriously. Good on you.

It is a satire on the inability of humans to communicate their thoughts, and those people unwilling to listen.

But isn't it exactly what is happening in this thread?

You have people clearly communicating in which way the joke fell flat and use racist undertones and here you have an onslaught of people basically saying "it's just a joke" or that their argument is "ridiculous" as you said.

You can read all of it, and still find it ridiculous.

Humour is probably the best uniting thing. It is the inability for some to logically deduce a joke, and attempt to divide us that is a problem.

Well that is simplifying it, you have the people who use the joke in a negative way to justify whatever.

But overall, we should be able to not only laugh at those on the opposite political spectrum, the middle of the road folks, and the jokes directly aimed at your own beliefs.

That is how we communicate. And South Park more then any other show out there, produces these conflicts. And it does so by showing how silly it is to debate an issue, and ignore all the middle ground.

“I’m a white guy with something to say about this”.

“I love humor it totally brings us together - even when it’s overtly racist”.

It could have at least been funny. South Park has been mostly miss nowadays. iirc the first game was funnier than the episodes airing around that time.

C4Lukins

But isn't it exactly what is happening in this thread?

You have people clearly communicating in which way the joke fell flat and use racist undertones and here you have an onslaught of people basically saying "it's just a joke" or that their argument is "ridiculous" as you said.

Yeah that is totally true.. Very few people in this thread are listening to opposing arguments.

They either found it funny, and are ignoring opposing arguments, or they are offended by it, and again totally into being offended and ignoring the opposition.

I think there is a middle ground for discussion, but we are all so on edge. Nobody is willing to give an inch, or at the very least work towards a middle ground.

I guess it is just human history simplified.

Yeah that is totally true.. Very few people in this thread are listening to opposing arguments.

They either found it funny, and are ignoring opposing arguments, or they are offended by it, and again totally into being offended and ignoring the opposition.

I think there is a middle ground for discussion, but we are all so on edge. Nobody is willing to give an inch, or at the very least work towards a middle ground.

I guess it is just human history simplified.

So what’s the “middle ground” on mammy jokes?

Please let’s discuss that.

C4Lukins

“I’m a white guy with something to say about this”.

“I love humor it totally brings us together - even when it’s overtly racist”.

What a bull shit lazy argument.

If you disagree with me, put the effort in.

You did an excellent job of using poor sarcasm in order to shit post. The people actually participating in this thread whether they agree with me or not, they are not simply farting out this sort of garbage.

There is some shit thread somewhere on Neogaf that is closer to your level of debate.

spad3

still baffling to see all these people be okay with:

children being raped by aliens
a group of children being shrunk to explore the inside of a gay man's anus
a stupidly blatant gay stereotype being portrayed in the most offensive possible manner to that demographic

but then absolutely lose their shit when they show a fish.

cmon. if you're making fun of shit and pushing buttons, go all the way. Matt and Trey don't cherry pick which demo to go after.

Humor has no limits.

South Park is funny... This is bullying and that's never funny.

still baffling to see all these people be okay with:

children being raped by aliens
a group of children being shrunk to explore the inside of a gay man's anus
a stupidly blatant gay stereotype being portrayed in the most offensive possible manner to that demographic

but then absolutely lose their shit when they show a fish.

cmon. if you're making fun of shit and pushing buttons, go all the way. Matt and Trey don't cherry pick which demo to go after.

Humor has no limits.
Explain to me the demo for bullying and why it's okay.

What a bull shit lazy argument.

If you disagree with me, put the effort in.

You did an excellent job of using poor sarcasm in order to shit post. The people actually participating in this thread whether they agree with me or not, they are not simply farting out this sort of garbage.

There is some shit thread somewhere on Neogaf that is closer to your level of debate.

No one is actually engaging you in a conversation - you just want to be cool with racism. What is your argument here? Is it that mammy jokes are okay if everyone is upset by them - then they become funny? Before you get all high and mighty ask yourself - “why am I doing this”?

My guess is you’re feeling some type of way and rebelling against it. Hopefully.

This entire thread is trying to educate you. You don’t see that so it’s on you.

Top Bottom