• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

South Park's latest episode about China and Tegrity [Spoiler-Warning]

A Regular Guy

Feb 23, 2018
If you haven't watched it yet, replays are still available. So this episode touches on a subject that's going on with Tech, Fashion, and the entertainment industry.

Anyways, it has hit a nerve on what's going on with our businesses, didn't touch on the subject of the Tariffs war against China, but how our companies are trying to target and cater to the Chinese Market. Mickey Mouse comes back as the greedy CEO trying to keep a steady relationship with the government and his plans were messed up by none other than Randy Marsh for trying to sell Tegrity Weed to the Chinese. Only for Randy to be taken to an intermint camp and meeting Winnie the Pooh. Meanwhile, Stan at home formed a heavy metal rock band to sing about how he hates living on the farm. He performed at a local festival and was picked up by the music producer, who also manages the PC Babies. To make money for Stan's band (So Stan can leave the farm), they went ahead to make a biography film. However, to cater to the Chinese audience, they have to cut down on Stan's creativity.

This is indeed an issue with today's businesses. They're bowing down to the Chinese government, even if it sacrifices our creativity and free speech on social media, and glad that South Park pointed it out.

brap

Jan 9, 2018
Wtf I had no idea the new South Park season started. Is it that bad?

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Good episode.

We seriously need to stop catering to China.

Corporatism is a failure of capitalism.

SKM1

Mar 7, 2018
Watched it when I saw this thread. I'm kind of lost since I've not watched South Park in a while, but it was cool

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
The important question, which seems not to be covered here, is: Is it funny? I hope we're not judging comedy on the issues it covers.

Disclaimer: I'm aware of China's influence and it fucking sucks.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Eiknarf

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
The important question, which seems not to be covered here, is: Is it funny? I hope we're not judging comedy on the issues it covers.

Disclaimer: I'm aware of China's influence and it fucking sucks.
I thought it was funny. There was an absolutely hilarious line where Mickey Mouse was in a room with all Disney brands, including the ones they've acquired, and Randy speaks up and Mickey says something like "what the fuck is south park? do we own that?" and someone else said "not yet".

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
If you haven't watched it yet, replays are still available. So this episode touches on a subject that's going on with Tech, Fashion, and the entertainment industry.

Anyways, it has hit a nerve on what's going on with our businesses, didn't touch on the subject of the Tariffs war against China, but how our companies are trying to target and cater to the Chinese Market. Mickey Mouse comes back as the greedy CEO trying to keep a steady relationship with the government and his plans were messed up by none other than Randy Marsh for trying to sell Tegrity Weed to the Chinese. Only for Randy to be taken to an intermint camp and meeting Winnie the Pooh. Meanwhile, Stan at home formed a heavy metal rock band to sing about how he hates living on the farm. He performed at a local festival and was picked up by the music producer, who also manages the PC Babies. To make money for Stan's band (So Stan can leave the farm), they went ahead to make a biography film. However, to cater to the Chinese audience, they have to cut down on Stan's creativity.

This is indeed an issue with today's businesses. They're bowing down to the Chinese government, even if it sacrifices our creativity and free speech on social media, and glad that South Park pointed it out.
The market has always adapted itself to the dominant tropes. It's the beauty of the free market! It's main and only objective is to make money.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
The market has always adapted itself to the dominant tropes. It's the beauty of the free market! It's main and only objective is to make money.
I'd argue that is a shallow understanding of capitalism, but that is the prevailing attitude towards free market capitalism in the modern era.

Adam Smith would likely disagree with the idea that the only objective of the market is to make money.

Cant properly link to the article. Search for "How Adam Smith would fix capitalism" on the Financial Times, if you want to read it in full.

First, we need to recognise that The Wealth of Nations is a work of genius not merely because it sets out many of the central intellectual tools of political economy — the division of labour, the idea of market equilibrium, the effects of incentives on behaviour, the benefits of free trade, Smith’s four maxims of taxation, to list just a few — but because Smith is the first person to put markets at the centre of economics itself. Smith is thus the hinge of our economic modernity, just as Burke, with his theory of political parties and representative government, is the hinge of our political modernity.

But, second, markets for Smith are very different to those of economists today. They are not the disembodied mathematical constructs of modern economics and policymaking, and his view of individuals is not that of a desiccated economic atomism. Rather — recalling his insights about language and ethics — markets are living institutions embedded in specific cultures and mediated by social norms and trust. They shape and are shaped by their participants, in a dynamic and evolving way. They often have common features, but they are as different from one another as individual humans are: markets for land and labour and capital, asset markets from product markets and all the innumerable rest of them.

Yes, markets typically generate economic value, and they are unmatched in their ability to allocate goods and services and encourage innovation and technological improvement. But, third, what matters is not the largely empty rhetoric of “free markets”, but the reality of effective competition. And effective competition requires mechanisms that force companies to internalise their own costs and not push them on to others, that bear down on crony capitalism, rent extraction, “insider” vs “outsider” asymmetries of information and power, and political lobbying.

Fourth, markets constitute a socially constructed and evolving order that exists and must exist not by divine right but because it serves the public good. It follows from this that the modern doctrine of market failure, which derives from academic models assuming perfect competition, needs to be expanded and supplemented. The truth is that outside academic models there are few if any genuinely free markets, and the imagined benefits of perfect markets disappear once any imperfections are allowed. Instead, policymakers need to start by asking two much simpler questions: What is this specific market for? How is it actually working?

Fifth, for the same reason, both individual markets and the market order itself rely on the state. While political intervention can destroy market functioning, it can also enable it. But markets are not inviolable, and they derive their reason for being not from any supposed sanctity of capitalism itself, but from their place within modern commercial society. Ultimately, especially within democracies, it falls to the state to underwrite that legitimacy. And if the preservation of the freedoms, trust and order that make up modern commercial society requires the periodic reform of capitalism, then reform it we must.

Last edited:
Reactions: hariseldon

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
this was a good episode even if it didn't have many laughs in it.

it is amazing how easily people brush off companies censoring things to match the demands of China.

moral relativism has made it so that you actually don't have to question your consumption choices at all!

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
Adam Smith would likely disagree with the idea that the only objective of the market is to make money.
I agree definitely but --and this is where I think Marx got the criticism of capitalism right-- capitalism would inevitably devolve into something like what we today call crony capitalism. Maybe he will eventually be proven wrong though but im not that sure...

Panda1

Jan 12, 2010
Im looking for honey!!

South Park is killing it -making up for Always sunny new season

Clear

Feb 2, 2009
I thought the first episode was pretty much on the money too. I feel like the reason a lot of people seemed "meh" on it was that it satirized a bunch of things and didn't take aim solely at the topic they wanted it to. Very much this season's equivalent to "White people fixing houses" .

The great thing about SP is their refusal to be any particular party's satirical ally.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
remember when the white lady was used for the role of a Tibetan monk in Dr. Strange? then she appeared in Endgame as well? i member

"Even the PC babies don't seem to mind..."

Reactions: A Regular Guy

Cybrwzrd

Sep 29, 2014
I agree definitely but --and this is where I think Marx got the criticism of capitalism right-- capitalism would inevitably devolve into something like what we today call crony capitalism. Maybe he will eventually be proven wrong though but im not that sure...
I don't think it is inevitable, but you need a culture different than what exists now in modern America to have it.

We need to put a stake through the heart of Freidman and the rest of the neo-classical vampires from the Chicago school.

Shareholder primacy as policy is legalized grifting, if not straight up extortion. The two most important stakeholders in any corporation are the customers and the employees. Shareholders should always come last.

When maximizing profits becomes the goal, companies start to do shitty things, such as what we see with global companies bowing to Chinese regulation to gain a few more dollars of value per share.

Modern American companies would sell ovens to Nazi Germany if they thought it would increase their stock value. They lack 'Tegrity.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: crowbrow

Fbh

Dec 6, 2013
Going to check it out.

Are they back to more standalone episodes? Last season I watched was more like a big ongoing story and it was pretty meh. (the one that focused on Cartman and his girlfriend)

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
All my future posts will be approved by 2 Chinese military men.

Praise Xi

*please deposit many Yuan in my bank account now*

Reactions: pramod

A Regular Guy

Feb 23, 2018
Going to check it out.

Are they back to more standalone episodes? Last season I watched was more like a big ongoing story and it was pretty meh. (the one that focused on Cartman and his girlfriend)
I wish that were the case..... This season seems to have a take on Randy and Stan Marsh and Randy's Tegrity Weed business.

Clear

Feb 2, 2009
"Tegridy" is just a way for them to slam on ideologues on both sides of the present political divide. Randy is all about values and integrity but only when its about lining his own pockets and is willing to do all kinds of heinous shit in service of that objective.

He's already gone from the hippy-ish idealism of dropping out and starting his own "green" enterprise, to full on Breaking Bad in order to protect that business. Along the way he constantly feigns (and uses) moral outrage in order to disguise his own greed and further his selfish ambitions.

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
"Tegridy" is just a way for them to slam on ideologues on both sides of the present political divide. Randy is all about values and integrity but only when its about lining his own pockets and is willing to do all kinds of heinous shit in service of that objective.

He's already gone from the hippy-ish idealism of dropping out and starting his own "green" enterprise, to full on Breaking Bad in order to protect that business. Along the way he constantly feigns (and uses) moral outrage in order to disguise his own greed and further his selfish ambitions.
Wasn’t he also singer/artist Lorde ?

• LOL
Reactions: Fushitsusha

Clear

Feb 2, 2009
Wasn’t he also singer/artist Lorde ?
Randy has been used for years as a vehicle to drive whatever the story arc is they are pushing. The only thing consistent about his character is that he's inconsistent about everything. They even commented directly on this during the divorce storyline a few seasons ago where Sharon finally had enough of him jumping both feet-first into whatever the latest fad was. Be it tween-wave music, cock magic, or PC bro-ness.

Reactions: Helios and Eiknarf

OmegaSupreme

Apr 17, 2019
Randy is really quite a psychopath but he's essentially the voice of Trey Parker so there you go. Glad to see South Park still killing it after 20 plus years.

A Regular Guy

Feb 23, 2018

Now you have me thinking that Matt Stone and Trey Parker already planned on parodying Breaking Bad with Randy Marsh, LOL

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
I wonder if they are going to bring tariffs into this. With the whole China story I could see them talking about the tariffs and how it will hurt Randy's business.

A Regular Guy

Feb 23, 2018
I wonder if they are going to bring tariffs into this. With the whole China story I could see them talking about the tariffs and how it will hurt Randy's business.
I sure hope so! Ever since this episode came out, people have finally realize how companies care more about making Chinese money than supporting human rights in Hong Kong.

Reactions: cryptoadam

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
I sure hope so! Ever since this episode came out, people have finally realize how companies care more about making Chinese money than supporting human rights in Hong Kong.
cant wait for Wed.

Gotta wonder what is Randy going to do with that truck load of cash.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
Last season I watched was more like a big ongoing story and it was pretty meh
it's still that. the show has been going downhill ever since the emphasis on serialization. the past 2 episodes just edged up the usual trendy topics but overall they seem to have foregone funny writing and good jokes for conceptual comedy. "I can't believe they are doing this" seems to be the desired result, not "LOL this is hilarious". i think i might have laughed once in the last one.

"will they bring up news topic x, y, or z?" i would say yes, yes, and yes. that's all they do really. just let the news write the show from now on.

Last edited:
Reactions: hariseldon

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
talk about good timing, they had NBA players in the episode and then bam this thing with the Rockets happens right after.

Reactions: K1Expwy

zelo-ca

Jan 26, 2018
talk about good timing, they had NBA players in the episode and then bam this thing with the Rockets happens right after.
I think the rockets thing happend before. South park makes their shows on the week before it airs. I really suggest watching the documentary "6 days to air". It shows how they make an episode of South Park in 6 days. It's crazy haha.

Reactions: undrtakr900

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
I think the rockets thing happend before. South park makes their shows on the week before it airs. I really suggest watching the documentary "6 days to air". It shows how they make an episode of South Park in 6 days. It's crazy haha.
I am pretty sure it happened the same day or day after. I can only find articles from 3/4 days ago referencing the tweet (which was deleted).

My timelines might be messed up but I am pretty sure that Morely tweeted either Tues/Wed/Thur. It is possible they snuck in the NBA players on the plane on the last minute but I think this is just lucky timing LOL.

I hope they follow up on this. Its like a goldmine just landed in their laps.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
I would love for them to do an episode that is 100% pro china with everyone sucking off China and Xi.

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
The NBA should appear on South Park

The NBA claims they are so woke that they banned the term “owner” because it’s racist

...yet, well, you know the NBA loves China and all.... conveniently forgetting what kind of country they are

A Regular Guy

Feb 23, 2018
The NBA should appear on South Park

The NBA claims they are so woke that they banned the term “owner” because it’s racist

...yet, well, you know the NBA loves China and all.... conveniently forgetting what kind of country they are
Adam Silver needs to resign