• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX building Starship in Texas (live videos of construction)

I wonder about the wisdom of doing a 150 meter hop and failing badly before Demo Mission 2. Sure they don't plan to fail but just saying.

I guess they are 2 different things but sheesh that is some reality for your ass if you are flying on Demo Mission 2.

Looks like the whole week as activity closed road. Whenever the hop is should be soon

I wouldn't risk that if I were SpaceX.

Jezbollah

The various SN failures have done little to shift the timeline for Demo-2 - so I suspect a hop wont make any impact there.

hell, Elon has gone on a major twitter meltdown and re-opened his tesla factory against local orders and that hasnt done squat. A hop is fine.

^ that brings another point Elon is like a loose cannon when will his luck run out with cancel culture?

I like what SpaceX is doing! I even like how cool Tesla has made electric cars. But Elon does not tread lightly at all got to respect him for that.

He just needs to keep getting them cool ass wins. Sending your car into orbit and live streaming that shit on youtube goes a long way with me.

If the hop is successful all these other rocket companies need to step their game up.

I agree with Stiflers Mom Stiflers Mom It has been a very long time since NASA was able to go to space from US Soil. Everything in the Nations memory has been about Space Shuttles falling out of the sky in tragic endings. So yeah I would say it would do a lot of good if SpaceX did not blow up a prototype Spacecraft just before Demo 2.

We all understand that SpaceX gets more data when something fails. But we don't have to be reminded of what can go wrong so near the first NASA flight with humans in a very long time.

Elon's style though is to hop SN4 this week or next week without a care in the world about how it looks though.

Dontero

Banned
Comparing Starship to SLS is amazing.

SLS is using mostly shuttle era engines that were lying + new boosters. All of it is not reusable and they are yet to make even one new main engine. They can't even make one fully finished rocket as housing of even one rocket is not finished (but it will be this year).

Meanwhile SpaceX is churning those raptors monthly, they are rapidly creating housing all of them are still tests but once they will nail down design they will be able to churn 5-10 of them in few months. All of it reusable.

i wouldn’t sell. You have front row seats to every space launch. Either watch it yourself or Airbnb it

True, I would do that too if the local Texas goverment would not step in and kick the rest out. They can hold out but the county will use laws to take over the land and give it over to Space X sooner or later. Right now it is smarter to take the big money and watch 5-10miles away. Move to South Padre Island.

I just want to note that the StarShip being worked on is only the top half of this thing
Super_heavy-lift_launch_vehicles.png

that bottom superheavy will have a bigger kick, I would not want my house to be too close to that lol

Last edited:
at the end of this video is another little clip update about what is going on at the Village now being called Space X Village

looks like they are renovating these houses instead of taking them down.

Told ya man. And now by having all these nicely renovated homes next to you your house value increases because it’s the dump on the block compare to others

:messenger_tears_of_joy: I get the joke but pretty sure these will be for SpaceX top employees that need to be close to the action those who held out are not going to benefit from house values when the land is off the market as goverment land

I don't want to be that close to a super heavy that goes left instead of up

"While the focus was on KSC, Starship SN4 received a mass simulator likely to stimulate the mass of a nosecone. SN5's Nosecone Section always appears to be salvageable after its argument with a Boca Chica storm."

got a chuckle out of this

I found this old video on my youtube feed, it really shows how amazing the Falcon program is. It is an amazing rocket. This video explains it well.

the thing is Starship is almost the same idea and the same patterns of development. I hope it does not take them 5 years though. I know this is much bigger but I want them to make progress.

Not sure how many SN's will blow up before we get a long hop.

watching that video encourages me to believe they can do this because they already did this before.

edit: I like this Falcon Heavy info vide too

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Amazing times, really..
Something I have waited for all of my life finally seems to happen.

It’s so important to have something genuinely hopeful and inspiring right now. There’s more to our existence as a species than incrementally improving our quality of life metrics. We want to explore, and push the boundaries in every way possible.

It’s time for space.

Nymphae

Banned
Didn't watch this but I heard there was another mouse seen running around the base of the rocket that was in "space", this has been seen on a few different videos now.

SpaceX-Mouse-Falcon-9-launch-Crew-Dragon-video-2495377.webp

I haven't seen this new clip but I've seen the old ones and it definitely didn't look like water, which I wouldn't think would hang around long in outer space anyway.

yet another Starlink launch at 5am tomorrow here is a live stream link for that

wait it is
58 Starlink Satellites PLUS 3 others SkySat satellites

Dontero

Banned
That will push them above 500 star-link satellites in orbit.

They plan to launch starlink internet for Canada and North US by end of this year with other regions coming online 2021

Closed beta in around 2 months, public one in around 5.

Last edited:
That will push them above 500 star-link satellites in orbit.

They plan to launch starlink internet for Canada and North US by end of this year with other regions coming online 2021

Closed beta in around 2 months, public one in around 5.

I just hope I can get it living in an apartment building downtown instead of a house.
I really want to dump my cable internet provider they are so damn expensive but really the only choice around

Top Bottom