• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX building Starship in Texas (live videos of construction)

looks like the water launch and landing is going to be the real focus for a long while because this thing once built will just be way too loud

first segment of this podcast talks of this

damn I hope SpaceX has some nice Camera boats for the launches

A bit anticlimactic to see that SN7 test tank there now, after we already hoped for a 150m hop with SN4. :/
All this waiting...

I'm fine with continued testing of SN7 since it has the new steel
but I was not expecting for them to just patch up SN7 and go at it again with the same tank

I feel these hops should just go for water launch and they don't even have a water launch pad yet

I can't keep track of all the different channels that post Boca Chica updates
but I do want to keep track of what Maria films when she is not working with NSF

or is that two different people? hell I can't tell anymore

Last edited:
so much going on, some of this video got me so hype not even for the rockets but drilling deep foundations huge cranes have me feeling this can't fail!

Last edited:
these youtube channels have been really overhyping this robodog from Boston Dynamics

even with a red arrow I can't see shit, how do they know the dog robot is in that cloud?

It's interesting that there is a whole youtube ecosphere around whatever Elon Musk is doing.
I mean there are like at least 10 different podcasts just reporting the newest SpaceX/Tesla/Neurolink shit.

That Robodog just feeds into that narrative of these "I love science" morons.

Ovek

7Member7
these youtube channels have been really overhyping this robodog from Boston Dynamics

even with a red arrow I can't see shit, how do they know the dog robot is in that cloud?

Because you can clearly see it walking around and as far as I am aware it's the first real industrial application for the Spot robot.

It's interesting that there is a whole youtube ecosphere around whatever Elon Musk is doing.
I mean there are like at least 10 different podcasts just reporting the newest SpaceX/Tesla/Neurolink shit.

That Robodog just feeds into that narrative of these "I love science" morons.

there is a lot of reporting that is for sure, I have to hit that hidden not interested button at least a dozen times per day to clear my youtube home screen for other topics

right now I am being flooded with CyberTruck reports just from it being displayed in L.A. recently

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
how long has spot been in development? I feel I've seen it in science magazines for a very long time

They eventually made Spot available to buy as a commercial product this year or late last year, Boston Dynamics have been though several owners that have pulled the company in different directions which refocused what Spot was tasked for which resulted in major delays.

I can see them being used a lot to survey hazardous areas like the SpaceX test site explosion.

As of right now you can even buy one of the Boston Dynamics website if you have a spare $74,500 lying around and live in the US, they seem to be really picky where they go internationally.

been watching this podcast today trying to get to the point where they talk about NASA to use Blue Origin for Sub-Orbital program (starts talking about it 1 hour 20)

Some SpaceX Starship talk in there too that starts 40 minutes in

Last edited:
after watching this video I want to know more details on who own parts of SpaceX and how much money they have to spend on these projects

I just want to know how much is on the line here with Starship. I can imagine Starlink will spinoff once they profits start coming in although people have said Starlink is just a way to fund SpaceX projects and the Mars trips.

It really blows my mind to think about how much would be lost if Starship fails.

I have been working so hard and following this for so long but...

"SpaceX Boca Chica - Bulkhead Cap Spotted, SN5 Testing Prep Cont., and Manitowoc 18000 Build Progress"

what the hell does that title mean? It is 4am and I can't remember the nerd speak lol going to bed

Soon he will have the first man to smoke weed in space. Space Weed!

giphy.gif

test on SN5 starts tonight?

yeah a 12 hour test window starts later tonight overnight

just watch the live stream in the OP this one

or will look for other streams later if any other channels are up for the 12 hours
Elon is in town?

Last edited:
With their goal of mass production, I think all this testing that needs to be done will be one of their biggest hurdles.

Yeah it seems like testing at every step is the goal, kinda slows things way down but this is one of those things where nothing can go wrong with the final product

SpaceX can't afford a single fail they won't survive it no matter how much we love seeing this public opinion might turn on them

It would only take one of these to shut Starship down if they really plan to go City to City in the future.

Yep, I concur.
It's just, I really wonder how they wanna tackle this in future, when they plan to build a couple of Starships a week.
I believe that that are able to manufacture them in that timeframe (they are already superfast, imo), but testing seems to slow them down so much.

They would need like at least 20 test stands being in use at the same time if this is their rate of progression for each Starship.

Yep, I concur.
It's just, I really wonder how they wanna tackle this in future, when they plan to build a couple of Starships a week.
I believe that that are able to manufacture them in that timeframe (they are already superfast, imo), but testing seems to slow them down so much.

They would need like at least 20 test stands being in use at the same time if this is their rate of progression for each Starship.

More test stands seems very likely, but I am still unsure if they will ever reach the goal of building that many Starships
At some points robots would need to take over most of the parts to smooth that out.

a few per week and thousands going to Mars seems a little way out there to me.
I still imagine this Starship will fly, will go to the moon, might even go to Mars successfully.

But in the long run, I am not sure Mars will work out. I just don't trust how hostile to human life that place is.
I just feel Mars will turn out to be too challenging to make it work.

Still hope I am wrong, I want to keep pulling for them to make it happen

Top Bottom