• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX building Starship in Texas (live videos of construction)

I think he knows about the physics involved in that, and just doesn't... ; )

If someone could motivate a team to work that out I think he is the man to do it.

not sure if Physics is the roadblack as much as not having a strong enough material to pull it off.
That type of thing might still be 200 years away and silly to ask for, but I would have said the same thing about Neuralink

not sure if Physics is the roadblack as much as not having a strong enough material to pull it off.
Well, the physics involved to get a material string enough is the roadblock here.
Until there are some radical breakthroughs happening, there is no sense in putting energy into this project. Those Nanotubes don't seem to cut it yet.

I heard that a Space Elevator for the moon is a very viable project, though, since the gravitational forces are much less there and it could be done with materials we have now.

That type of thing might still be 200 years away and silly to ask for, but I would have said the same thing about Neuralink

Hmm yeah. I get what you mean...

Well, the physics involved to get a material string enough is the roadblock here.
Until there are some radical breakthroughs happening, there is no sense in putting energy into this project. Those Nanotubes don't seem to cut it yet.

I heard that a Space Elevator for the moon is a very viable project, though, since the gravitational forces are much less there and it could be done with materials we have now.

Hmm yeah. I get what you mean...

Yeah carbon nanotubes have been a major disappointment to me it was way overhyped for many things including a Space Elevator.
It is not that it would not work but they are not really making enough of the stuff.

Still getting a huge fleet of working and safe Starships kinda makes the issue of not having a space elevator a moot point.

It's mental to have near 60 successful landings of Falcon reusable rockets. Space X just crushing it. I wonder if they'll have an IPO at some point?

EDIT: I know they're talking about an IPO for Starlink, which I'd invest in as well, no doubt.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
After whole Tesla she bang i doubt they will do IPO of SpaceX.
Telsa IPO made sense because musk didn't have money to build car manufacturer.
With SpaceX they are making plenty of money per launch and with Starlink they should float in money.

On other hand that crazy bastard want really fucking agressive dates so in his case he can trade his leadership for bunch of money that will allow them to hire shitload of people and leapfrog to his goals.

After whole Tesla she bang i doubt they will do IPO of SpaceX.
Telsa IPO made sense because musk didn't have money to build car manufacturer.
With SpaceX they are making plenty of money per launch and with Starlink they should float in money.

On other hand that crazy bastard want really fucking agressive dates so in his case he can trade his leadership for bunch of money that will allow them to hire shitload of people and leapfrog to his goals.

I agree with SpaceX, they likely just want to keep control. I've read about Musk talking up Starlink IPO, hopefully that comes to fruition.

Top Bottom