• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX building Starship in Texas (live videos of construction)

frostyxc

it might get like that for Starship as well

Orbital flight at SN15 is the goal now kinda strange to think one day these will not be a big deal anymore
but flights to the Moon and Mars should still be something to pay attention to

Then they can focus on not getting melted by Venus' atmosphere and then all will be exciting and new again.

Then they can focus on not getting melted by Venus' atmosphere and then all will be exciting and new again.

Venus always gets your focus. Living on top of clouds should always get your focus.
I wonder if Venus is that much more difficult than Mars. I don't think the surface of Venus is ever going to be a thing but I've seen lots of talk about living above the cloud layers.

these are some crazy challenges ahead. I still have a strong feeling people on Mars is not going to work out

frostyxc

Venus always gets your focus. Living on top of clouds should always get your focus.
I wonder if Venus is that much more difficult than Mars. I don't think the surface of Venus is ever going to be a thing but I've seen lots of talk about living above the cloud layers.

these are some crazy challenges ahead. I still have a strong feeling people on Mars is not going to work out
Yeah, all the talk is that high-altitude Venus stations could be a thing because it's rather pleasant up there. Some rover/probes that could survive Satan's butthole would be pretty cool just to see more of what's going on down on Venus' surface, though.

Mars is doable if there are way stations along the way to mitigate the length of trips and for emergencies. If Elon gets these launches going like clockwork, I don't see it being out to the realm of possibility.

Venus cloud city would be a much easier first goal than Mars.

Much shorter way, no pressure suits, almost same gravity, good temperature.

Huge problem would be complete lack of water, it seems.

Tesseract

Banned
need to get zero g vacations going, vomit comet has been played with shortlived and isolating experiences

there's no accounting for the real thing, looking at the great blue planet from afar in free fall

Last edited:

frostyxc

I am a bit disappointed by SN8.
Thought they would assemble it with Nosecone and front flaps etc.

Wonder what exactly they will test with it being in this state that might differ from what they have done with SN5 and SN6.
I kind of thought they needed a complete starship for the belly flop maneuvre.

I am a bit disappointed by SN8.
Thought they would assemble it with Nosecone and front flaps etc.

Wonder what exactly they will test with it being in this state that might differ from what they have done with SN5 and SN6.
I kind of thought they needed a complete starship for the belly flop maneuvre.

I was really expecting a nose :/

Yesterday I heard on some youtube SpaceX thingy, they will be adding the rest (nosecone and front flaps) after they have done the static fire and pressure tests.

That way they won't lose all of their equipment if that goes wrong.

Makes sense to me.

Last edited:

Stryda

Banned
I am watching news of this almost every day since last September, and I still can't believe they think they can fly people to orbit and then to Mars with those shittily welded together aluminum cigars.

And producing two every week for 5 millions for one.
I mean, yeah, amazing if that will be the truth.
But I still feel like this is just the biggest con of all time, and one day Elon needs to confess that he was just goofing the world.

I’m glad I’m not the only person who feels this way.

SpaceX is just a big con and PR exercise.

Calling that rocket a “starship” is a joke. It’s a giant can of baked beans.

It doesn’t even look as cool as the NASA stuff

I’m glad I’m not the only person who feels this way.

SpaceX is just a big con and PR exercise.

Calling that rocket a “starship” is a joke. It’s a giant can of baked beans.

It doesn’t even look as cool as the NASA stuff
I have changed my stance on this quite a bit over the last few months and watching and reading up a bit about the topic.
I think this thing will fly, and it will work out as intended.

What I still don't see is mass production. And not for a missing capability of production, but in no way they will be able to test them fast enough for that to happen if they don't ramp up their testing facilities in a massive way.

They'd need like 20 test stands, and a lot more workers and engineers just for that. I am not sure how much you could automate there. Also, the requirements for additional ground space in Boca Chica would be tremendous.

My guess is, that this will be the hardest part.

you can say this is a PR stunt if this was the only thing SpaceX had going for it. They have come too far and done too much for people to still think this way unless they have not been paying attention.

60 more Starlinks

I think I am getting trolled by too many youtube channels replaying older launches like they are live.

Are we on Starlink 12 now?

Last edited:
Aren't they already stacking SN10 as well?
Their production is so much faster than their testing already.

I think they need a second test stand asap, even if it's just for LOX, Cryo and static fire.

Last edited:
I think they were still moving parts around for SN10 not that stacking should not be very soon if it was not started already.

It depends if they have room for a second test stand, I think they would need to build a second fuel farm, I am sure they will need to step the testing up if they want to move faster

things seem to be moving very slow with the SN8 test than usual but it also seems like SpaceX has been going through lots of scrub launches for this one Starlink 12 mission

Top Bottom