• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX building Starship in Texas (live videos of construction)

Seeing this from an outside perspective, it feels so crazy how much money these older companies got thrown at for such a little amount of things they did, and how much less money SpaceX got for being that successful.

SpaceX was right to sue, and that it got nowhere should have been expected. These guys play games with billions of public funding those are tax dollars, the military is super wasteful. Those older companies get to the task at some point but it often takes decades and way over budget by 5 to 10x. They milk billions for as long as they can. And here comes SpaceX ruining the whole money game.

I think this is why SpaceX is not putting up walls against youtubers filming Boca Chica 24/7 they are showing how much work it takes to pull off what they do.

The other guys move 10x slower and the final product may still fail or fall behind what SpaceX has.

I'm kinda shocke that even Blue Origin gets more funding than SpaceX when Blue Origin has a blank check type of deal going with Jeff's deep pockets.

It is all politics

I was shocked seeing a video by Everyday Astronaut lately, where he shows off how much money these people took for basic shit.

Like a FUCKING BILLION DOLLARS for a launch mount tower.
Or billions of dollars for bringing the old Space Shuttle rockets up to pace again.

Crazy amounts of money and time.
For literally nothing special.

These assholes are the cause why nothing happened over the last 50 years.

It gets worse when you think about how close SpaceX came to shutting down, had NASA been a few weeks later in deciding to fund SpaceX none of this would be going on right now.

I am not saying NASA saved SpaceX, it is Elon's story to repeat each time he wants to remind us how great the partnership has been. But it kinda tells you that we might have lost many other companies who tried to get into the space thing but could not find the funding that are going to waste by those older companies.

So when you really think about it, the billions for doing nothing, while smaller start ups struggle is irritating.

Which is your favourite Talkie, Smiles?

I'd go with Marcus House, and a bit of Everyday Astronaut for longer more general stuff.

For general "how will we conquer space" stuff not directly related to launches "the Angry Astronaut" is quite nice. Lots of good content there.

When I am starved I watch "to the future with Jin Xua and Sebastian" from time to time, but usually I turn that off when they get too cringey. And boy, are they cringey. They are from my home town, though... :D

Aarbron

SpaceX and the Pentagon just signed a contract to jointly develop a new rocket that can launch into space and deliver up to 80 tons of cargo and weaponry anywhere in the world — in just one hour.

What a time to be alive.

Mass Effect grab for dramatization:

yN8kjdn.jpg

I'd go with Marcus House, and a bit of Everyday Astronaut for longer more general stuff.

For general "how will we conquer space" stuff not directly related to launches "the Angry Astronaut" is quite nice. Lots of good content there.

When I am starved I watch "to the future with Jin Xua and Sebastian" from time to time, but usually I turn that off when they get too cringey. And boy, are they cringey. They are from my home town, though... :D

JnS is good sometimes for the China Shit talk

I like all of these guys they are all a bit different, I enjoy ENGINEERING TODAY the most for some reason. Getting use to the PAUSE between segments took me a while to get use to.

JnS is good sometimes for the China Shit talk
Haha, yeah. That's true.
Also Boeing shit talk is always welcome.

I like all of these guys they are all a bit different, I enjoy ENGINEERING TODAY the most for some reason. Getting use to the PAUSE between segments took me a while to get use to.
Yep, Engineering today is quite good as well.

I am more and more put off by Felix (What about it), though. Feels more like he wants to create a brand and merchandise. Fortunately that lame shit with his ugly wife stopped again (or did it? think I haven' seen that popping up for a while).

Haha, yeah. That's true.
Also Boeing shit talk is always welcome.

Yep, Engineering today is quite good as well.

I am more and more put off by Felix (What about it), though. Feels more like he wants to create a brand and merchandise. Fortunately that lame shit with his ugly wife stopped again (or did it? think I haven' seen that popping up for a while).

Agreed Felix got carried away trying to become a brand, I mean Everyday Astronaut kinda used his gimmick and got a logo and all but Felix's logo is just over the top and very in your face try hard. As an artist and designer I really hate his logo, his presentation style was awkward enough.

I think all these guys know there is a big future if SpaceX gets to the Moon and Mars they will get a huge surge of traffic so they are trying to build up their brand as fast as they can. But when you logo up the ass too fast it seems you really don't care about the topic you just want to cash in.

Felix was the last guy that needed a loud logo, he stood out already his while presentation was different enough.

Speaking of try hard, this guy always makes me cringe forgot about him have not seen him in a while

still gringing ugh

Funny, thought the same thing yesterday when I saw him.
He has been around for a while and was always quite unremarkable, which is probably the reason why he feels that he needs to include those "funny clips" now.

Which just feel cringey.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Watching the Starlink launch this morning, they're making the landings look so easy now. =O It just seems silly not to go with reusable rockets now. Why is the SLS still around? Is there something it can do that these commercial ventures cannot?

Top Bottom