• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spark Unlimited making High Profile 3rd Person Action/Horror Sequel [Up: Capcom Ties]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Update:

As a note, "sequel" in this case is shorthand for "entry in series".

A friend just found this...

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/hoshiko-oyamatsu/28/4a8/272

Linkedin said:
Hoshiko Oyamatsu's Summary

Worked at Capcom as a background and VFX designer for 11 years.

Shipped Game titles:

-Resident Evil 5:Gold Edition (PS3, XBOX360, PC/VFX)
-Devil May Cry 4 (PS3, XBOX360, PC/VFX)
-Lost Planet (XBOX360, PC/VFX)
-Onimusha 3 (PS2/VFX)
-Genma Onimusha (XBOX/background, user interface)
-Onimusha (PS2/background)

---

Hoshiko Oyamatsu's Experience
Sr. FX Artist
Spark Unlimited
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Computer Games industry
October 2011 – Present (3 months)

VFX Designer
Capcom
Public Company; 1001-5000 employees; Computer Games industry
April 1998 – December 2009 (11 years 9 months)

Original Story:

Given that there aren't many of these franchises, this is rather interesting.

There's more at the link.

The Silent Chief said:
Spark Unlimited Working On Horror Game Sequel Of An “Established Console Franchise”
Posted by Sakinah D on Dec 14, 2011

The name of the developer may not be familiar to some but could one of Spark Unlimited next projects be Resident Evil 6?

On several occasions Capcom has stated its commitment to outsourcing projects to Western developers. Last year after the release of two sales failures, Bionic Commando and Dark Void, Capcom president Haruhiro Tsujimota revealed a new strategy to use western studios for ports and sequels.

This brings us back to the California based Spark Unlimited who is currently working on two new projects for two different publishers. One of those new projects has gone into pre-production as of November 2011. That project, according to job listings found on Spark Unlimited’s website, is an “unannounced high-profile, popular game sequel for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC release.”

The game’s genre is described as a 3rd Person Action/Horror based on an established console franchise. This title will be utilizing the Unreal Engine 3 and will feature multiplayer as detailed on the website.
Resident Evil 5 developed internally by Capcom was based on the MT Framework Engine, however the Unreal Engine has been the choice for new franchise installments in the hands of western studios. This fact was echoed by Spark Unlimited on Twitter. “The tide of the industry is flowing towards UE3.”

More tidbits about SU’s unannounced horror project can be found on Twitter as well:

@sparkunlimited Based on how successful the production is right now, would you have an estimate when the publisher might reveal the game?
@drkdragon1017 no word on when there would be word. I guess reveal should be no less the 6 months from release and no more than 24 months.

@sparkunlimited Please don’t add a cover system. It’s unnecessary and the mechanics are clunky. It detracts from the run-and-gun feel.
@HRastapopulous And there you have it… One voice wants a cover system and another does not want it. We already have one disappointed fan.

@sparkunlimited Will your project please the majority of people who have inquired about it so far?
@Mormondruid We probably won’t be able to please the fanatics. We aim to please the franchise fans. What camp are you in?

With all the above information it’s easy to conclude that Resident Evil 6 could be in the hands of Spark Unlimited. But right now that possibilty is just speculation on our part. Whatever Spark Unlimited’s project turns out to be the developers are hoping to create a ”bold new take on 3rd Person Action/Horror genre”.
Source: http://thesilentchief.com/2011/12/1...e-sequel-of-an-established-console-franchise/

And here are some notes directly from their website: http://www.sparkunlimited.com/index.html

Spark Unlimited said:
We started PRE-PRODUCTION in November 2011 to develop a breakout game based on an established console franchise. We are looking for innovative professionals to be members of a core creative team to bring to the console and PC markets a bold new take on 3rd Person Action/Horror genre.

Spark Unlimited said:
Spark is pleased to present our current listingd for our two main projects. We are in production on an unannounced high-profile, popular game sequel for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC release. We have just entered pre-production on a franchise and genre extending game also for the current generation consoles.

The job listings are segmented as to the project needs. Click on the job title for a detailed job description and application instructions.

Any guesses?

Alrus

So Capcom would give their best selling franchise to a studio that only released very shitty games? After ORC, I'm not even surprised.

kuYuri

Whatever it is, I don't have alot of confidence in the product. This is the same company that did Turning Point and Legendary. I'm amazed they are still open after those games.

I guess we'll see.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So Capcom would give their best selling franchise to a studio that only released very shitty games? After ORC, I'm not even surprised.

Maybe they're turning Mega Man into an action horror franchise. They don't care if a western studio ruins that IP.

Legendary developers?

ugh, I guess that there aren't too many 3 person Action/horror game which are high profile.

Alone in the dark? Resident Evil?

I would rage hard, if it was indeed RE6...

I can't decide what'd be shittier news: for this to be Resident Evil or for this to be Silent Hill.

Silent Hill's already ruined, and Resident Evil hasn't had a good game since RE4 (and Revelations and Operation Raccoon City don't look like they're going to change that pattern), so I dunno. Both franchises are pretty permanently tarnished as-is.

Elginer

No thanks, Spark is a terrible developer and I don't say that about many devs. That WWII shooter and Legendary were shit.
EDIT: And Unreal engine again? These guy can't work that engine at all. Dear god, why?!!!

Coxy

developer of some of the very worst FPSs the world has ever seen huh? It cant be Resident Evil, not even capcom are that bad right? right?

That said there arent many other options, only other things that come to mind are parasite eve and FEAR

CamHostage

Clock Tower?

Eternal Darkness?

Condemned? FEAR?

Clive Barker's Undying?

...it's got to be something other than Resident Evil, right?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Fatal Frame? it is an "established console franchise"

Everything else has been established on PCs.

I wouldn't take that comment too literally.

I would take that statement to mean that it's primarily a console franchise, which applies to... basically all of them.

Dascu

The FF team is working on two games already: Shinrei Camera 3DS and the remake of the 2nd game for Wii (popped up on some retailer list again, not too long ago).

Would make no sense whatsoever to outsource a new game to no-name Western dev, focused on first-person shooters. Nintendo's pretty much got a lock on the franchise too.

The FF team is working on two games already: Shinrei Camera 3DS and the remake of the 2nd game for Wii (popped up on some retailer list again, not too long ago).

Would make no sense whatsoever to outsource a new game to no-name Western dev, focused on first-person shooters.

This wouldn't be the first time a shitty studio gained a japanese franchise and changed it up.

If tue, I'd be absolutely ENTHRALLED to see what the developer of Legendary: The Box, could have possibly shown to Capcom that made them say, "Wow, yep, you are the ones who should be handling our most lucrative franchise."

GrayFoxPL

Extermination 2 finally!

If tue, I'd be absolutely ENTHRALLED to see what the developer of Legendary: The Box, could have possibly shown to Capcom that made them say, "Wow, yep, you are the ones who should be handling our most lucrative franchise."

Naked whores covered in coke?

Ridley327

I can't even remember where I had read this originally, but the word was that Capcom did contract Spark Unlimited for a new Lost Planet game. Don't know what would have become of it after LP2's spectacular failure, but there's that to consider.

"Oh my god! are those weapons and monters and stuff happening on the screen?, you definetly are capable of handling our best IP!"

I can't even remember where I had read this originally, but the word was that Capcom did contract Spark Unlimited for a new Lost Planet game. Don't know what would have become of it after LP2's spectacular failure, but there's that to consider.

In what way or fashion is LP an horror game!?

Oh well it does has more sense, I'm secretly hoping Dino Crisis, though.

FoneBone

Nirolak: FWIW, I can't find anywhere on their site where they refer to the horror project specifically as a "sequel." The pages where they do use that word seem like they could be referring to their other game. Some of the postings refer to a "sequel in a high-profile science fiction franchise," which doesn't sound like RE (though I could be wrong.

Ridley327

In what way or fashion is LP an horror game!?

Oh well it does has more sense, I'm secretly hoping Dino Crisis, though.

I think that someone could easily repurpose a concept like LP into more of a horror title, but the hard part, I think, is getting anyone to give two craps about the franchise after LP2.

Red Faction Armageddon's flame-out should serve as a cautionary tale about that sort of thing, too.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nirolak: FWIW, I can't find anywhere on their site where they refer to the horror project specifically as a "sequel." The pages where they do use that word seem like they could be referring to their other game. Some of the postings refer to a "sequel in a high-profile science fiction franchise," which doesn't sound like RE (though I could be wrong.

It's hidden in their job postings.

Lead Character Artist said:
Lead Character Artist

Spark is looking for an experienced Lead Character Artist to join us in making a breakout hit based on an established console franchise. This is an opportunity for you to have a hand in creating a bold new take on 3rd Person Action/Horror. You must have a cutting edge skills set, utilizing your technical knowledge and classic art training to create engaging and striking characters in a variety of styles. As Lead Character Artist, you will be responsible for making key assets, and for guiding your team in making the highest quality work. If you possess the skills, personality and leadership abilities to lead a team of bad-asses to take over the industry, we may have a job for you.
Source: http://www.sparkunlimited.com/jobs_position_artcharleadC.html

The columns on this page actually refer to the various projects: http://www.sparkunlimited.com/jobs_currentjobs.html

The sci-fi one you linked is under the other column for the action/adventure game.

Their site is a bit haphazardly laid out though, yeah.

FoneBone

Again, no use of the word "sequel." All I'm saying is that the evidence that they're working on RE6 rather than a spinoff doesn't seem to be there.

EDIT: I missed this quote in the OP:
We are in production on an unannounced high-profile, popular game sequel for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC release. We have just entered pre-production on a franchise and genre extending game also for the current generation consoles.
The horror game is the one in pre-production.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Again, no use of the word "sequel." All I'm saying is that the evidence that they're working on RE6 rather than a spinoff doesn't seem to be there.
Yeah, I don't agree that it's Resident Evil 6, which is why I only bolded the other stuff.

Unfortunately I can't fit "based on a major video game franchise" into the title though.

Yeah, I don't agree that it's Resident Evil 6, which is why I only bolded the other stuff.

Unfortunately I can't fit "based on a major video game franchise" into the title though.

Again, "established console franchise" and "based on a major video game franchise" are 2 very different things

Ridley327

As shitty as Konami has been with regards to the SH franchise, I find it incredibly unlikely that they'd go for another developer using UE3 for a new installment when the one they have is already in the process of doing the same thing.

Then again, they are working with WayForward on an isometric action RPG SH game, so anything goes these days...

Top Bottom