• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spark Unlimited's (Lost Planet 3) horror game sequel is a 3rd person action/slasher

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, any guesses what other franchise they've been handed?

Remember, we know they're at least working with Capcom on one game.

The game includes swords, martial arts, and is built on Unreal Engine 3. It was also once said to be genre extending, so it might not be a series that's already an action/slasher game.

Gamasutra said:
Spark Unlimited is an independent software developer currently focused on cross-platform, current-generation console games with well-established AAA franchises. We are in full production of LOST PLANET 3 for CAPCOM JAPAN. We are also in pre-production on another, unannounced established console franchise that is creating a bold new take on the 3rd Person Action/Slasher genre.

Spark is looking for an experienced Lead Combat Designer to join us in making a breakout hit based on an established console franchise. This is an opportunity for you to have a hand in creating a bold new take on 3rd person action slasher with horror elements for the PS3 and Xbox360. The Lead Combat Designer must own the quality and goals of the Combat team and lead the group to accomplish their goals. The ideal candidate is an outstanding designer with a proven track record designing and balancing combat, player controls, and AI for AAA third-person melee action games. Must have a thorough knowledge of game design theory and tools pipelines, possessing strong leadership skills, production-sensibilities, and the talent to produce and implement the highest quality work.

Responsibilities
• Work closely with the Game Director and leads to develop a combat system that feels visceral, fast, and fun.

Requirements
• Minimum of 5 years as a combat designer, or similar role, on current generation and previous generation consoles.
• Melee Combat system experience with player mechanics and AI behaviors.
• Understanding of sword fighting combat tactics, martial arts and weapons.

Preferred Skills
• Unreal 3 level building and scripting experience on a least one shipped console product.
Source: http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/viewjobrss.asp?cjid=29982&accountno=352

Edit:

The game also has multiplayer/co-op:

Spark Unlimited said:
Lead Gameplay Engineer

Responsibilities:
-Develop and maintain network ready code to ensure that it meets multiplayer/coop functionality and requirements, including but not limited to client/server state replications, latency, synchronization, cheating, etc.
Source: http://www.sparkunlimited.com/jobs_position_programmergameplayleadc0250.html

Edit 2:

A few more notes from various postings here: http://www.sparkunlimited.com/jobs_currentjobs.html

Spark Unlimited said:
(Lead Designer)-Third-person action combat or horror level design experience. Experience designing 3rd person action combat tactics and weapons.
(Senior Designer)-Third-person action combat level design experience. Experience designing 3rd person action combat tactics and weapons and scenarios.
(Character Animator)-Third person sword or melee combat genre experience.
It definitely sounds like a game that is primarily a third person action/slasher, but has some horror elements like, say, fighting demons. You also seem to use a sword as your primary weapon, but do have some other choices.

The M.O.B

Who is Spark Unlimited? Why have they been given one of my fave ps2 series?

Onimusha on Unreal 3?

This isn't what I asked for Crapcpom.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
cap com really are giving a lot of their big franchises to very unknown or not liked devs

DieH@rd

Banned
There was the positive description of gameplay parts on the last Giant Bomb podcast. It seems that game will be good.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They are growing a ton: http://www.sparkunlimited.com/jobs_currentjobs.html

sparkunlimitedlrjhr.png

So, Capcom's handing off their other IPs to be developed by other development firms, while they develop their bigger titles in-house. Dragon's Dogma is probably nearing completion in development, RE6 is probably half-way there, so I wonder if Capcom's main development teams are prepping another huge project?

Tucah

you speak so well
Sounds like Onimusha.

Please don't let it be Onimusha. I want it to be revived, but not like this.

DmC is looking fine, not what original fans might want, but the game looks competent. The developer has also made good games in the past.

Legendary and Turning Point looks like ten chimps were locked in a room and forced to make a game - so I have no faith for anything coming from this studio.

I don't know who was the guy on Spark that managed to convince Capcom of giving them 2 of their IP's with their awful track record.

But that guy is a genious.

DmC is looking fine, not what original fans might want, but the game looks competent. The developer has also made good games in the past.

Legendary and Turning Point looks like ten chimps were locked in a room and forced to make a game - so I have no faith for anything coming from this studio.

Two very incorrect statements, although the second one is more incorrect.

yurinka

Guys, it's Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 for sure.
I would like to see Strider, but it's going to be Onimusha since the Onimusha movie is coming next year

Dragon's Dogma and Resident Evil 6 pretty much.

Add Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney to the list

Top Bottom