Special counsel Robert Mueller calls for light sentence for former Trump national security advisor Michael Flynn

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/04/rob...o-for-former-trump-advisor-michael-flynn.html

Special counsel Robert Mueller on Tuesday night called for a light sentence — one that might not include — any time in jail at all — for Michael Flynn, the former national security advisor to President Donald Trump.

Mueller's sentencing memo, related to Flynn's lies to federal agents about his conversations with a top Russian diplomat during the presidential transition from late 2016 into early 2017, will be considered by Judge Emmet Sullivan before he sentences Flynn on Dec. 18 in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C.

Flynn, a retired Army lieutenant general, has cooperated with Mueller's ongoing probe of Russian interference in the 2016 president election since pleading guilty in Dec. 1, 2017, and possible coordination with that meddling by the Trump campaign. Mueller is also investigating whether Trump has obstructed justice in the inquiry.

"Given the defendant's substantial assistance and other considerations set forth below, a sentence at the low end of the guideline range—including a sentence that does not impose a term of incarceration—is appropriate and warranted," Mueller's office wrote in the memo filed Tuesday.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mu...ning-key-details-about-russia-probes-progress

Flynn sat for 19 interviews with the Special Counsel's office and other Department of Justice attorneys, according to the sentencing memorandum and a heavily redacted supplemental filing.

The documents do not provide specifics about what exactly Mueller has learned from Flynn, but they indicate he provided "documents and communications."

Mueller's addendum to the memorandum states that Flynn has "assisted with several ongoing investigations" -- including the Russia probe into potential ties between President Trump's team and Russia, and a separate criminal probe. Further information about the criminal probe, including the subject of that investigation, appears to be redacted.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2010
That Flynn lied to the feds and is still potentially walking away with a light sentence means he must have sung like a bird.

That or he is still lying about stuff at which point I'd ask, what is worth that many lies?

Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
That Flynn lied to the feds and is still potentially walking away with a light sentence means he must have sung like a bird.
Occams Razor:
Or the fact is we all know that people from all Administraions often lie to the feds.
Does anyone want to start punishing this? Does the republicans? Does the democrats?
Or is this more of a situation that, well, lets not open that door.

Mar 30, 2007
So what’s the spin on this? Not a big deal? Didn’t really provide anything of value? Probably need to wait till I get Rush’s thoughts on this before I come to a conclusion on the importance.

Sep 25, 2012
Occams Razor:
Or the fact is we all know that people from all Administraions often lie to the feds.
Does anyone want to start punishing this? Does the republicans? Does the democrats?
Do you have some sort of statistics on how often politicians are caught lying to federal agents under oath and then given a lenient sentence, just because?

Also, there's an incredible amount of blacked out information in this memo. Occams Razor certainly isn't "Flynn is getting off easy because feds don't want to mess with government officials being corrupt." That's one hot take for a Special Council investigation.

So what’s the spin on this? Not a big deal? Didn’t really provide anything of value? Probably need to wait till I get Rush’s thoughts on this before I come to a conclusion on the importance.
Flynn is cooperating with three investigations. One was some weird plot to kidnap some clerk and delivery him to Turkey. The second is the connection between the Trump campaign and Russia contacts. The third is completely redacted and is anybody's guess, but it's a criminal investigation. Flynn turned over substantial numbers of documents, communications, and sat for 19 different interviews. He had his sentencing repeatedly delayed due to the ongoing investigations and Mueller wanting to keep him available for information.

Now, this doesn't really tell us much about how much info he had on Trump directly or the depth of those dealings, but it's safe to say he had a lot of information the Special Council found valuable, which is why Mueller requested no jail time and a lenient sentencing. Mueller himself says in the memo that Flynn gave "substantial assistance."

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Occams Razor:
That’s not how any of this works. Mueller is recommending a light sentence. He would do that only if he was happy with Flynn’s cooperation, because the heart of a plea agreement is the defendant agrees to cooperate fully in exchange for a light sentencing recommendation. Mueller’s not saying “oh, it’s ok, lol everyone does crimes.” as you suggest. Contrast this with Manafort, who violated his plea agreement and Mueller wants the book thrown at him.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Canada
More process crime, no actual meat, nothing to do with collusion. Every couple of weeks we get another gotcha that ends up being a nothing burger. This investigation is going to be the end of Mueller's career.

Aug 11, 2018
More process crime, no actual meat, nothing to do with collusion. Every couple of weeks we get another gotcha that ends up being a nothing burger. This investigation is going to be the end of Mueller's career.
I bet the redacted text simply says "lol we got nothing this is a witch hunt"

May 17, 2012
Canada
Or it has something to do with this guy being the former national security advisor.

The light sentence recommendation could be for optics. You don't necessarily want to further ruin the life of a person who served your country their whole life over a crime that isn't really unilaterally enforced and only exists because of this investigation.

Or it could be the smoking gun that has so many people here wet.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018
Trumps laywer basically says it says nothing that connects anything to trump as per usual and that mueller is media whore providing pr for democrats.
Well will have to wait and see lol

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2014
I'm looking forward to this wrapping up. If Trump really has or is really giving the Russians something of value (that undermines actual US interests) for campaign help by all means let's get that out in the open and take appropriate action. But if the best they come up with is that Trump lied or allegedly obstructed an investigation that does not ultimately show he colluded with Russia in a manner that sold out genuine US interests, please STFU everyone who has been riding this collusion train. I for one do not care what kind of dirty politics was played to fight back against the dirty politics that started what appears to have been a massive charade with the intent of dividing the country.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018
Trumps laywer basically says it says nothing that connects anything to trump as per usual and that mueller is media whore providing pr for democrats.
Considering Trump's burned through binders full of lawyers at this point I'm not terribly inclined to trust the quality of the current ones.

Feb 23, 2016
Lol. This Russian collusion fantasy is gonna leave lots of people with blue balls.

i like how this is a fantasy but you all will still whine about clintion and wanted here investigated for 15th but havent even gotten a sentencing.

The same lawyers who are terrified of letting trump talk to muller or the campaign lawyers who are being investagited Or Michel Cohen your gonna have to be more specfic since your god seems to be surround with a bunch of criminals.

Jun 20, 2018
The same lawyers who are terrified of letting trump talk to muller or the campaign lawyers who are being investagited Or Michel Cohen your gonna have to be more specfic since your god seems to be surround with a bunch of criminals.
Yeah because any smart lawyer would let anyone talk himself into a bullshit perjury trap against coerced lies especially considering how politically motivated this entire shit show has been, considering that we now have a criminal complaint of someone saying he is basically blackmailed to lie. "trump isnt walking into the most obvious bullshit trap ever how dare he that means he is guilty" lol dude

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2014
Yeah because any smart lawyer would let anyone talk himself into a bullshit perjury trap against coerced lies especially considering how politically motivated this entire shit show has been, considering that we now have a criminal complaint of someone saying he is basically blackmailed to lie. "trump isnt walking into the most obvious bullshit trap ever how dare he that means he is guilty" lol dude
Considering Flynn was charged with lying to feds when the FBI initially concluded he did not intentionally lie, any lawyer who told Trump to testify if avoidable would be dropping the ball big time.

Feb 23, 2016

Lol so I guess the whole DOJ which trump had a pointed many people in and the FBI ar s all courrpet and after dady trump its funny how getting caught lying to the FBI is a trap now a days so much for LAW AND ORDER oh wait you sheep's only vomit that when your talking about brown people .

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Dec 5, 2008
www.twitch.tv

When has a lawyer ever said "Oh, yes my client is guilty as sin. This whole investigation points directly at him."

Come on man, I'm not quite sure where this whole thing is going to end up but the absolute last person I'm going to look for to try and find out is a lawyer of a potential defendant. It's pretty fucking rich calling Mueller a media whore too. What planet are you living on? Mueller hasn't once spoken to the press, is a registered Republican, and one of the most dedicated and trusted Lawmen on the planet. You don't have to take my word for it. Watch video of what nearly the entire Republican party was saying about this guy when he was first appointed special counsel.

It's a real shame how brainwashed the Cult of Trump has made people like you. Fucking pathetic.

Jun 20, 2018
When has a lawyer ever said "Oh, yes my client is guilty as sin. This whole investigation points directly at him."
Thats not the point, the point is that NO lawyer in the entire world would do this ever no matter guilty or innocent and people like henkDV and now you try to construe it as if it means he is guilty with no prove and based on something that again no lawyer would EVER do, do you get it yet?
Trying to construe a lawyer doing what is literally daily business for ANY lawyer in the entire world to mean it is suddenly prove just because it is about trump is bullshit and you know it.

Last edited:

DietRob

Dec 5, 2008
www.twitch.tv
Thats not the point, the point is that NO lawyer in the entire world would do this ever no matter guilty or innocent and people like henkDV and now you try to construe it as if it means he is guilty with no prove and based on something that again no lawyer would EVER do, do you get it yet?
Trying to construe a lawyer doing what is literally daily business for ANY lawyer in the entire world to mean it is suddenly prove just because it is about trump is bullshit and you know it.
Typical behavior here. You pick out one small part of a post. The part that you feel like you might be able to form a coherent response to but you even failed spectacularly at that. I specifically said in my post that I have no idea where this is all going to end up. Guilty, innocent, or a some other outcome like inadvertently colluding. But your brain somehow turned that into me putting him in the "guilty" box.

I get it. It's gotta be exhausting defending Trump but if your gonna pick apart a post to selectively respond get your facts straight so you don't look stupid.

Jun 20, 2018
Typical behavior here. You pick out one small part of a post. The part that you feel like you might be able to form a coherent response to but you even failed spectacularly at that. I specifically said in my post that I have no idea where this is all going to end up. Guilty, innocent, or a some other outcome like inadvertently colluding. But your brain somehow turned that into me putting him in the "guilty" box.

I get it. It's gotta be exhausting defending Trump but if your gonna pick apart a post to selectively respond get your facts straight so you don't look stupid.
Cry some more you got it wrong as simple as that no lawyer innocent or guilty would ever do what some of you suggest and because he doesn't do that you declare it as prove of guilt and hope no one calls you out on it? Are you for real? Go away

Last edited:

DietRob

Dec 5, 2008
www.twitch.tv
Cry some more you got it wrong as simple as that no lawyer innocent or guilty would ever do what some of you suggest and because he doesn't do that you declare it as prove of guilt and hope no one calls you out on it? Are you for real? Go away
Hahahahaa..
So brainwashed you can't even comprehend my post because you are in permanent defense mode. Great job proving my point, Champ!

Mar 18, 2018

Come on man, I'm not quite sure where this whole thing is going to end up but the absolute last person I'm going to look for to try and find out is a lawyer of a potential defendant. It's pretty fucking rich calling Mueller a media whore too. What planet are you living on? Mueller hasn't once spoken to the press, is a registered Republican, and one of the most dedicated and trusted Lawmen on the planet. You don't have to take my word for it. Watch video of what nearly the entire Republican party was saying about this guy when he was first appointed special counsel.

It's a real shame how brainwashed the Cult of Trump has made people like you. Fucking pathetic.
So you think you can walk in here throw out your opinion, mind project that people on the other side of the screen give two shits how Republicans circle jerk each other, create a shadow opponent that can’t fight back and then overlay it on a fellow member?

Sounds legit.