• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Special Edition Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD Wii U confirmed [Hero Mode trailer]

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Pretty hilarious, their demo of hero mode. "Lose ONE WHOLE HEART when you get hit by previously worthless attacks!!!" They should call it Normal Mode.

tchaten

Neo Member
Really hope that GamePad is sold separately - I think it will look better in person than the image is portraying - kinda how Apple devices look better in person.

Porcile

When I clicked the thread, I prayed it wouldn't be a gold Wii U or Gamepad. I'm happy that I've saved a lot of money right now.

RagnarokX

so wtf is hero mode??? no recovery hearts? Do you at least get a refill when you get a full heart piece?

holy brutal.

There are still potions, fairies, soup, and magic armor.

At least Hero Mode might finally make potions and magic armor useful.

Get someone to steal it
File a police report
Give Nintendo police report
???

I don't think so.

GamePad looks nice, glad it's not like the special Zelda 3DS, otherwise I'd have to buy it.

Craziness. Guess I won't ever have to debate double dipping to a special edition/upgraded Wii U.

Nibel

Really hope that GamePad is sold separately - I think it will look better in person than the image is portraying - kinda how Apple devices look better in person.

They don't sell the normal Gamepads sepetately, so I guess it's the same case with this one

Ahahaha, "double damage" and you start taking a full heart from a fucking Darknut. I had forgotten how absurdly easy this game was.

And then you and in the Win Button Parry attack it hardly makes any difference at all.

Oh, I just realized that this is going to mean no hearts during boss fights.

Shit just got real o_O

And, that doesn't look like stickers on the gamepad. They really should have gone all out and released a gold Wii U for this but they must be saving that for Zelda U.

Hey, the soup may actually be worth something now.

The only time I've ever seen the Game Over screen in Wind Waker was when I deliberately let the giant pig kill me.

Penguin

IT doesn't seem like it mentions a special edition

Could just be decal that comes with the system

It was just in the background.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, after watching the video... I think I'm going to have to get this.

Busaiku

Wait, will the game be installed, or will it come with the disc?
I'd guess it'd be the former, in which case, maybe I'm not sold.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm confused..how is this a special edition? No preorder bonuses or anything right?

The console, not the game.

A WWHD bundle had been rumored for months. This confirms they're doing something with it and throwing a unique design on the controller like they did with the Ocarina 3DS.

zhorkat

Pretty hilarious, their demo of hero mode. "Lose ONE WHOLE HEART when you get hit by previously worthless attacks!!!" They should call it Normal Mode.

I laughed at that part too. The damage output enemies could do in the original was pretty weak. The no breaking pots for hearts is the actual challenge of this mode.

1 heart from a darknut? With double damage?

I only played this once when I came out but I don't remember it being that easy.

hero mode sounds more like a pain than a challenge :/

are you invincible while countering in ww?

forget.

Not really. It's not like you won't still have access to fairies/bottles. WW was so easy because heart refills were EVERYWHERE and enemy damage was minuscule. This should make the game reasonably challenging and keep you on your toes.

Was it too hard to make something really special? A golden wiiu maybe? Ridiculous.
It's a HD remaster not a brand new Zelda...but then again OoT 3D got a very nice 3DS.

Shaanyboi

Banned
so wtf is hero mode??? no recovery hearts? Do you at least get a refill when you get a full heart piece?

holy brutal.

There are no recovery hearts, but you can still refill your health with potions and fairies.

Also, enemies do double damage.

RagnarokX

At least the special gamepad isn't nice enough to make me regret already owning a Wii U. It looks like they just took some Wii Us that were sitting unsold in a warehouse somewhere and slapped on some decals.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to be whistling the ocean theme to myself all day now.

VARIA

I wonder if Nintendo will pack in the retail game case with the Zelda Wii U Bundle?

It would suck to get a cardboard slip case.

Ifrit

They actually fixed the difficulty, that's great

I finished WW twice and never saw the game over screen, seriously

So can you only restore health with bottled items and heart containers?

Yes.

That's pretty much how the Hero Mode worked in Skyward Sword, with a few differences:

-Skyward Sword Hero Mode could only be unlocked on a NG+; WWHD Hero Mode can be done from the start and toggled on/off at the file select screen.
-Skyward Sword had a potion crafting and upgrading system that made getting more health easy if you had money and bugs (bugs carried over into NG+), and WWHD doesn't have.
-Enemies hit harder in base difficulty SS than in WW; Hero Mode SS had you actually in danger of dying, especially when fighting bosses. WWHD is... well, one heart from a Darknut is better than half a heart.
-You could heal by other methods in SS; resting on benches and stumps found throughout areas or by carrying a Heart Medal in your pouch to bring back found hearts.

are you invincible while countering in ww?

forget.

I can't remember if you're invincible during the jump counter, but my painful memories of Orca are clear: you were not invincible while doing the roll counter.

Top Bottom