• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speculation based on trademark minutia: Nintendo NX to use cartridges

Smellycat

This isn't the first time that we have had this rumor: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1215139

But our fellow Gaffer Atheerios found this:

So, I don't know if this is the right thread to mention this, but I can't create a new one yet, so here it goes... I found something interesting while browsing the US trademark system.

For Wii U games, you can see that in the categories for the trademark mention game discs, but not cartridges.

oxcttt.png

ghbpyg.png

zprvfa.png

On the other hand, 3DS games do mention cartridges in the description:

However, for Breath of the Wild, there's something different, it also lists video game cartridges:

I don't think this is a random decision or mistake, as Nintendo has never assigned video game cartridges to a Wii U game before (unless it also has a 3DS version). However, we already know there's going to be a NX version of this game, so this could be a strong indicator that NX will, in fact, use cartridges.

What do you guys think? It is interesting that Zelda BOW mentions BOTH discs and cartridges. However, Ever Oasis mentions game discs and it is a 3DS game....soooo this might not mean much.

(mat)

Interesting find. It will certainly be interesting if that's the route they take. I wouldn't mind in the least.

Neiteio

The same cartridge format could work nicely with both a next-gen console and next-gen handheld. No need for an optical disk drive when you've got cartridges!

I look forward to hearing the satisfying clunk of snapping in a cartridge!

This makes sense if games are compatible with both a handheld and a home console. Otherwise I really don't see what benefit cartridges would have.

They probably will be tiny SD-card/Vita/3DS sized. Not like SNES/N64 cartridges.

According to these listings, Ever Oasis is using video game discs.

So, I don't think this necessarily means anything. It could though. Certainly an interesting find.

Phediuk

Obviously the NX will be either a console-portable hybrid or two devices with a shared library.

cartridges would fit into that plan.

KAP151

I have zero idea what the cost of carts (obviously at mass manufactured level) would be today?

Could a large capacity cart be cost efficient?

liquidtmd

Banned
Unless it offers some kind of new benefit or feature over cartridges in generations gone by, I'd say they would be insane to do it

Neoxon

I guess this explains Macronix hyping up their relationship with Nintendo this fiscal year & Panasonic not saying anything. Plus this would allow for physical cross-play between the next console & handheld.

Madchad

Im alright with it if it:

1: Does not make them stupidly over priced.
2: Are about the size of the current 3DS cards/SDCard.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Unless it offers some kind of new benefit or feature over cartridges in generations gone by, I'd say they would be insane to do it

Cartridges today can hold way more data now plus they dont break or scratch easily, thats all they need to do.

Hermii

This makes sense if games are compatible with both a handheld and a home console. Otherwise I really don't see what benefit cartridges would have.

They probably will be tiny SD-card/Vta/3DS sized. Not like SNES/N64 cartridges.
Faster load times, the drive would be much smaller, no moving parts are three obvious benefits.

Neiteio

What would the benefits of cartridges be?
You could take the same game and play it on both a console and a portable, since neither device would need an optical disk drive.

Speaking of which, leaving out an optical disk drive saves on production costs for the hardware and is less failure prone.

Also, load times could be really nice with cartridges!

The same cartridge format could work nicely with both a next-gen console and next-gen handheld. No need for an optical disk drive when you've got cartridges!

Hmm. It will probably be quite a small cart. 3DS sized. Do you get a clunk with that kinda cart?

Makes sense to me. Nintendo always made most of their money making carts for third parties. Trouble is third parties hate them for it.

Neiteio

Hmm. It will probably be quite a small cart. 3DS sized. Do you get a clunk with that kinda cart?

Makes sense to me. Nintendo always made most of their money making carts for third parties. Trouble is third parties hate them for it.
They should make a big cartridge format just for nostalgia's sake. While they're at it, they should give the NX clear plastic casing in a variety of colors.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Faster load times, the drive would be much smaller are two obvious benefits.

Benefits that don't nearly offset the extra cost of cartridge media large enough to hold something on the level of a PS4 game. This has to be a case of just listing every possible scenario for the registry.

antonz

I am all for Cartridges. Size is no longer an issue and it can offer a compatibility between handheld and console. On top of that is less moving parts, size reduction etc that can be afforded to the console

Top Bottom