• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speculation based on trademark minutia: Nintendo NX to use cartridges

Shaanyboi

Banned
An amount that would be a non-issue if the price was right.

axMzRTh.jpg

Expect 30-64 GB game cards.

SD card transfer speeds are also pretty fucking bullshit, so I'd hope that's not the standard being reached for here...

LewieP

This is entirely logical. Lots of people have thought this for a while.

It's so they can produce one game card that works across both the handheld and home console, and a variety of potential future devices.

What would the benefits of cartridges be?
This is what I want to know. Wasn't the whole point of moving away from them for home consoles due to expensive, proprietary format? Why go back to this? I appreciate that load times may be an issue, but they've become standard for consoles and some developers keep a tight reign on them. Also, some cart games still have load times, I think.

Jimm

Oh man I'd love to have a little NX game cartridge that I can pop out of my console and put straight into my handheld to take with me.

I hope this is true, but they'd be pretty expensive wouldn't they? I guess to the consumer end that can be justified since the games play on both NX systems

Alienous

Well, they probably wouldn't go for another Gamecube-type disc, and if the NX comes in handheld and console forms a cartridge makes sense, as a standard disc size would have to define the size of a handheld.

I hope these carts are Neo Geo sized. The ROM chip should be the same as a 3DS, but the plastic casing should be huge and premium feeling.

HUELEN10

SD card transfer speeds are also pretty fucking bullshit, so I'd hope that's not the standard being reached for here...

No reason why the console wouldn't support external disks for storage like Wii U does. Have install options for every game ala Xbox 360, use the Card as an authentication tool on boot up and we're golden.

OT: My PS3, Wii, Wii U are all running on SSDs!

KingBroly

Banned
This is what I want to know. Wasn't the whole point of moving away from them for home consoles due to expensive, proprietary format? Why go back to this? I appreciate that load times may be an issue, but they've become standard for consoles and some developers keep a tight reign on them. Also, some cart games still have load times, I think.

Less Moving parts, smaller box, other things

Carts of yesteryear are much different than carts of today.

The only benefit that it has over discs is that you can use them in a handheld device. Every other benefit that people mention is not worth the extra cost.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Sheer curiosiy, but I want to see how are Mario & Sonic games listed, as well as both Super Smash Bros. games. Can't find them right now :p

If it uses cartridges, it essentially seems like 100% compatibility between home and handhelds imo.

And if thats the case...Zelda BOTW on a handheld...all of Nintendo games on a handheld are my dream. I can't keep getting two systems. Please just reveal the damn thing already instead of keeping my hopes up!

HUELEN10

Also people, Cartridges will NEVER be used in a console a game. Like 3DS, if it's a solid state media, it will be a card, not a cart.

Luigiv

And yet they're still way faster than optical discs. There's a reason all PS4 and Xbone games do a full install onto the HDD.

Amalthea

Banned
Maybe the NX handheld will be also the controller for the home console. No cartridge/disc-slot on the Hardware connecting to the TV.

I had an idea of having the NX being mostly a seperate small streaming box that can be optionally hooked up with a Wii and Wii U and a handheld with free-form display that can be used as a controller and as a dedicated handheld featuring remote play and partial Android features including a walled app store wich has both dedicatd software and smartphone games.

AniHawk

okay new idea:

march 2017:
-launch with zelda nx, smash bros., pikmin 4, and new ip w/ console ($299.99)

november 2017:
-launch with super mario galaxy 3, super smash kart, and animal crossing w/ handheld ($199.99)

fill in the rest of the year with retro's game, splatoon nx, and super mario maker.

of course, both systems use cards.

okay new idea:

march 2017:
-launch with zelda nx, smash bros., pikmin 4, and new ip w/ console ($299.99)

november 2017:
-launch with super mario galaxy 3, super smash kart, and animal crossing w/ handheld ($199.99)

fill in the rest of the year with retro's game, splatoon nx, and super mario maker.

of course, both systems use cards.

I can totally see something like this happening.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I hear of cartridges pretty frequently. I absolutely support them on the merits that the technology is now made leaps and bounds better than the old N64 carts we normally think of. No disc drive needed to save on cost, durable, faster load times, capacity no longer an issue in today's industry, and this reinforces Shared Library between console and handheld with "scaling" of fidelity already present on games running between Old 3DS and New 3DS.

Bring it on.

Simbabbad

- Proprietary format.
- Load times are faster.
- You don't have to bother with mechanical parts in your console, which are noisy and are the first to break, and you can make a very small, extremely silent console.
- You're ideally heading toward digital anyway.
- It's a lot cheaper than it used to.
- You can use the same cartridge for handheld and home console, which would make sense if home console NX and handheld NX share the same library (with different capabilities).

HUELEN10

For those knowledge out there... how big are MOST One/4 games? Would you guys say 30 GB?

If so, more credence to the card theory.

I still can't quite believe it'll happen, but I think it'd be really cool all the same. Faster load times, a smaller console and no more game installs or whirring disc drive would be fantastic.

Nightbird

Benefits that don't nearly offset the extra cost of cartridge media large enough to hold something on the level of a PS4 game. This has to be a case of just listing every possible scenario for the registry.

the extra costs are only a thing in the beginning. the carts are made so they are compatible with multiple devices.

So while the cost is a little higher than for discs, you don't have to pay those multiple times. also, I'm sure Nintendo can eat the additional costs for the publishers for a while in order to make the NX more attractive to them

I think it'd work pretty well myself. Would solidify a place for Nintendo in the market. But they've probably got something else up their sleeves.

Handhelds need to be cost and energy efficient. So not exactly a thing you would connect to a TV to play high end games on. A console is the opposite.
Tell me how you would fit the power of a scorpio in a device as big as an iPhone, combining these two totally contrary engineering philosophies, with a battery life of 10 hours and then sell it for $199.
It doesnt work pretty well.

It doesnt make any sense.

Zalman

I'm warming up to the idea, especially if it means I can buy a physical game and play it on a console and a handheld.

Hermii

The only benefit that it has over discs is that you can use them in a handheld device. Every other benefit that people mention is not worth the extra cost.
How much would a cartridge cost compared to a disc at similar storage?

If Nintendo wants to build a small, powerful, low power consuming, silent device, cartridges would help all those points.

Neiteio

I just hope the console can still be powerful and the game would simply scale up on consoles and scale down on handhelds, like high/low settings on PC games. So Zelda: BotW would run like the WiiU game on the handheld but get a boost in resolution/framerate/AA/etc on the console.

Ilmyr

My guess: They are basically using 2.5" SSD drives (or smaller) with just enough capacity to store a specific game. The cartridge probably contains a chip for authentication which defines the game that is stored on it.
If data is lost, game files can be reaquired via download and stored on the cartridge. Save games are also stored on the cartridge.

Alienous

I just hope the console can still be powerful and the game would simply scale up on consoles and scale down on handhelds, like high/low settings on PC games. So Zelda: BotW would run like the WiiU game on the handheld but get a boost in resolution/framerate/AA/etc on the console.

As said earlier in the thread the New 3DS might have been a testbed for that.

It would also fit the bill as far as Nintendo technology innovation goes. It's not a gimmick, but it would be marketable like a gimmick would be.

deleted

Oh yeah! This would be right up my alley if this happened!

Right on time to capitalize on the main flow of 90s N64 nostalgia too! I would change my complete digital purchase pattern to physical media again for some titles. There's just something about cartridges that is incredibly more satisfying compared to discs.

And there are enough synergy effects for Nintendo too to switch to cartridges again:
  • Less shelf space
  • even less shelf space if both systems are able to use the same games
  • More space in the console for cooling/power instead of disc-drive
  • No idea how it works out with licenses for cards compared to discs...

Also the fact that Nintendo consoles were never up for physical media players helps the fact that this could be a thing. Sony and MS need disc drives. Sony to push their BluRay agenda and MS to not fall behind in the media capabilities. Nintendo never really bothered with that besides Netflix on the Wii.

HUELEN10

My guess: They are basically using 2.5" SSD drives (or smaller) with just enough capacity to store a specific game. The cartridge problably contains a chip for authentication which defines, the game that is stored on it.
If data is lost, game files can be reaquired via download and stored on the cartridge. Save games also on the cartridge.
This idea is anti handheld/hybrid, so I like it.

Neoxon

It wouldn't be cartridges like the NES, SNES, & N64, but rather game cards like the DS & 3DS (since Macronix is supposedly the manufacturer for the NX cartridges, the same guys who did the DS & 3DS cartridges).
  • Having a cartridge-based platform allows for the same physical copy to be used across the NX Console & NX Handheld, thus not forcing the platform as a whole to be digital-only to get the point of a shared library across (if that's the route Nintendo's going, which may end up being the case). This would also benefit Nintendo in the long-run because they only have to print one copy of a game rather than two, thus saving money overall.
  • Using cartridges instead of discs also allows for Nintendo to avoid having to install game assets to the device's hard drive, which can help in saving space for the user. Nintendo has bypassed the need for installations for the most part with the Wii U (Xenoblade X aside), so Nintendo may want to continue this trend. Also by virtue of the faster transfer speeds, load times would be cut down by a considerable degree. Not to mention that you can put your save data on the cartridge itself.
  • The use of cartridges for the NX Platform also cuts down on the number of moving parts, which would be a bigger benefit for the NX Console. Not only would said NX Console be able to last longer without breaking down, but Nintendo can cut costs down by not needing a disc drive. Said saved costs can be either diverted towards improving the NX Console (Ex: adding a better CPU, GPU, more RAM, etc.) or just lowering the price tag of the NX Console.

Top Bottom