• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speculation based on trademark minutia: Nintendo NX to use cartridges

otakukidd

Even if both systems used cards, I don't think the cards will be cross compatible because that would be potentially be cutting into software revenue.

Why sell one copy of Smash NX that works on both systems to a hardcore player when you can easily sell two.
But there really was only 2 console ports on 3ds. Smash and Xeno.

tr1p1ex

Even if both systems used cards, I don't think the cards will be cross compatible because that would be potentially be cutting into software revenue.

Why sell one copy of Smash NX that works on both systems to a hardcore player when you can easily sell two.

Yeah I wouldn't bet on cross play either. Nintendo might not go that far.

Not that it couldn't happen, but they don't they like giving stuff away for free.

...btw, the other possibility here, is that a cartridge slot on the NX is for handheld games and is in addition to the standard disc drive. That way their console has lots more games to play. Nintendo can still make the big games for console that take years to polish up. And it makes sense in that games tend to transfer better from handheld to console than vice versa. Plus this is a feature Nintendo has done before in the form of a peripheral aka the Gameboy player for the Gamecube.

BDGAME

With that idea of one cart for portable and home cansole I need to know:Is possible to create, right now, a portable that can do Xbox one's shaders, physics and AI, but with less details and in a 480/540p screen?

Pokemaniac

With that idea of one cart for portable and home cansole I need to know:Is possible to create, right now, a portable that can do Xbox one's shaders, physics and AI, but with less details and in a 480/540p screen?

Xbone would be pushing it. You could probably get to around Wii U level, though.

DaveMG

Banned
Resident evil 7 coming to NX? ;)

trb19v9pc95x.png

The shader capability for the Wii U is around dx10.1 range, so the portable will likely be more advanced in that area. The CPU may possibly beat the Wii U's in performance too. Due to numerous factors, though, it will not reach XBO performance. I would expect the system to achieve graphics roughly similar to current gen on a small screen.

BDGAME

The shader capability for the Wii U is around dx10.1 range, so the portable will likely be more advanced in that area. The CPU may possibly beat the Wii U's in performance too. Due to numerous factors, though, it will not reach XBO performance. I would expect the system to achieve graphics roughly similar to current gen on a small screen.

OK, this gen kind of graphics in a small screen is what necessary to that idea of one cart in two machines can work.

The NX portable needs to look like it.

Wiz

If we are going with the theory that these carts will be playable across console/handheld. Could this also mean buy once digitally and play anywhere?

BDGAME

It's actually 512GF. The 1TF number was using half precision.

That said, it could likely have to be downclocked to fit in a handheld.

And I search now. It can run Unreal engine 4. That is the minimum necessary to make this gen games run in a small resolution in a small screen machine with less details, but, with the felling any gameplay intact.

Schnozberry

It's actually 512GF. The 1TF number was using half precision.

That said, it could likely have to be downclocked to fit in a handheld.

It's also most not the X1 being used by Nintendo. Nvidia licenses IP, not chips, and so this would likely be custom design by Nintendo and produced by one of Nvidia's fabrication partners.

This would indeed align nicely with the rumor that the NX uses the same games for a console and a portable system. I didn't see them using something like PSP's UMDs.

Revelaitons, yeah.

It was actually a pretty okay version with the Miiverse integration. I also think it was the last internal Capcom game on the Wii U, if I recall correctly? Can't remember if anything came out after that.
I think it got RE:Revelations HD?

I didn't even know that lol. Good news is this is a mainline Resident Evil game which says a lot about the NX. I mean the Wii U isn't getting any remakes at all.

thefro

It seems like that's a pretty standard Capcom trademark... for instance "Deep Down" lists video game cartridges.

Qg4cAQc.jpg

So I wouldn't take that as evidence that RE7 is coming to NX.

Eradicate

It's not Just Dance, but...

This is an Ubisoft iOS/Android only game (so far as I know) that still lists cartridges and discs. I don't think we can make a lot out of this entirely, in my opinion.

Doesn't mean they might not go for cartridges, but it doesn't mean they will either based on this!

Beaten though with another example...but still!

Hi guys, I'm coming here in this thread ask all of you, now that I have been hearing more rumors about the NX using cartridges.

Do you think the Final Fantasy VII remake could fit into an NX game cartridge in this generation?

We have heard from interviews that the remake requires more space and discs. Funnily enough, FF7 never made it to N64 due to cartridge space. Today, we have cartridges that can fit hundreds of GB.

Let's say the PS4/XB1 versions FF7 remake requires more discs, but the NX version requires only one cartridge? That would be a HUGE ADVANTAGE and TURNING point for the Nintendo NX, and a good reason to get the NX version over others.

I'd make a thread about this, but I'm still not Member Status yet. I think this is an important topic to discuss.

Red Devil

Hi guys, I'm coming here in this thread ask all of you, now that I have been hearing more rumors about the NX using cartridges.

Do you think the Final Fantasy VII remake could fit into an NX game cartridge in this generation?

We have heard from interviews that the remake requires more space and discs. Funnily enough, FF7 never made it to N64 due to cartridge space. Today, we have cartridges that can fit hundreds of GB.

Let's say the PS4/XB1 versions FF7 remake requires more discs, but the NX version requires only one cartridge? That would be a HUGE ADVANTAGE and TURNING point for the Nintendo NX, and a good reason to get the NX version over others.

I'd make a thread about this, but I'm still not Member Status yet. I think this is an important topic to discuss.

Yes it would, but like you say it would depend on how much data these supposed carts can store obviously. For the amount of data required for modern games I'm doubting they'd go with something as small as DS/3DS carts(considering costs), probably something still small but slightly bigger like the Game Boy or Game Boy Advance sized carts?

Someone mentioned adding special chips to the cards like back in the SNES days with the FX chip and what not. How feasible would this be for NX? I mean, what can they add to the card for extra boost in power? Can it even be done in a cost effective manner? Games with special chips were more expensive for the SNES.

Someone mentioned adding special chips to the cards like back in the SNES days with the FX chip and what not. How feasible would this be for NX? I mean, what can they add to the card for extra boost in power? Can it even be done in a cost effective manner? Games with special chips were more expensive for the SNES.
It most probably won't be done since it screws over digital consumers. Also, Nintendo has add-on patents instead.

Branduil

The cards used in the DS and 3DS aren't the same as traditional cartridges, they're more similar to proprietary SD cards. You can't just stick a second mini-computer on a 3DS game card like you could in the old days.

Red Devil

It most probably won't be done since it screws over digital consumers. Also, Nintendo has add-on patents instead.

This. And seeing how they appear to be wary of re-releasing games that used the FX chip...

None if this is surprising. The NX has to support physical solid state media due to the portability of the unit.

That and perhaps it has to do with optical media no longer being all that suitable for games.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's actually the same guy, thefro. Just look at the post you linked more carefully.

Seriously, though: who is Nico Augusto and why people care so much about what he says.

EDIT: Thanks DrWong. Anything else about Nico A.'s credibility? :p

TunaLover

I find hard to believe a mainline RE would launch on Nintendo platforms without Nintendo backing it somehow. Like others have mentioned other Capcom games mention cartridges too but never use them, it's more likely a template form.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I find hard to believe a mainline RE would launch on Nintendo platforms without Nintendo backing it somehow. Like others have mentioned other Capcom games mention cartridges too but never use them, it's more likely a template form.
If it can run well on it and it's easy enough to port, I don't see why not.

Top Bottom