• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Speculation] Is Nintendo NX a Gaming Tablet?

I can't see it being a tablet simply because who games on a tablet on the go? The smallest screen size you'd want for a tablet is 7" and that's a bit big to carry around IMO.

Stuff like this and the speculated "Nintendo Phone" thing might've maybe worked 6-7 years ago. By now if they were to do it, they might as well make a Nintendo PDA. Basically it's a death wish.

marmoka

Banned
Tablet? Hell no!

I still don't understand why does not Nintendo reveal the console and many of the games next E3. The thirst is real. They could bring us a huge E3. We need to get away with our disappointments and get our hype back.

sinxtanx

What makes my suggestion asinine? Do you really think that Nintendo can compete with Sony and Microsoft on power in a home console? Even if the NX matches ps4 in power the ps4k is right around the corner. Nintendo needs something different.

A tablet that is 2x Wii U power could play Zelda and if you want a big screen experience then just do HDMI out and attach a traditional controller.

Nintendo's statements, and all trustworthy sources point away from that scenario.

Not to mention that your idea sounds like an even more difficult sell than the Wii U. There exist, currently, two major consumer groups for video games. This will be simplified because I'm talking in broad strokes. Those who want cool graphics on a TV, and those who want portable gaming. Neither group wants to hook up cables more than once. Tablet console is a no-go. Making two devices and selling them separately with all or most games functioning on both with graphical differences is not just safer, but smarter than putting all eggs in one basket and then bodyslamming said basket.

Shogun413

I don't think tablets in general are a novel market though; Nintendo would be jumping into a red ocean where it lacks the advantage.

I don't think anyone is proposing a generic tablet. I say something that is better and more elegantly designed than the nvidia shield. With Nintendo haptic control technology built in for far better control and allow for more traditional games than an iPad.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo's statements, and all trustworthy sources point away from that scenario.

Not to mention that your idea sounds like an even more difficult sell than the Wii U. There exist, currently, two major consumer groups for video games. This will be simplified because I'm talking in broad strokes. Those who want cool graphics on a TV, and those who want portable gaming. Neither group wants to hook up cables more than once. Tablet console is a no-go. Making two devices and selling them separately with all or most games functioning on both with graphical differences is not just safer, but smarter than putting all eggs in one basket and then bodyslamming said basket.

Let's take the Wii U, which wasn't successful because most shunned the tablet, and take away the streaming capabilities for an HDMI out cable???

L Thammy

I don't think anyone is proposing a generic tablet. I say something that is better and more elegantly designed than the nvidia shield. With Nintendo haptic control technology built in for far better control and allow for more traditional games than an iPad.

I don't think it matters though. Are people going to buy the Nintendo tablet along with the tablets they normally get? Are they going to buy it instead of one? Even if it's a niche device within the tablet market, it's still in the tablet market. It's still entering into the competition.

Madness.

Do you not think Nintendo would offer an optional streaming service on their existing platforms before drastically altering their (proven and profitable) business model? Why would they jettison the huge market of people without the internet connection quality or inclination to exclusive stream larger games? Sony bought Gaikai for hundreds of millions of dollars, and MS have been developing cloud tech for years. What makes you think Nintendo (a company that has typically stuck to tried and tested technology it can deliver to the widest audience possible) would be the first console manufacturer to exclusively move to cloud streaming for certain games?

I can see why the usage scenario you described might appeal to some people, but it is not a rational strategy for Nintendo.

That's Nintendo for you. Thinking logically isn't the way to predict their actions.

sinxtanx

Let's take the Wii U, which wasn't successful because most shunned the tablet, and take away the streaming capabilities for an HDMI out cable???

Don't forget to make it intentionally weak as well. Gotta have that battery life for portable gaming!

And we'd have gone out of business for sure, too, if it wasn't for those pesky fans!

I'm pretty sure it will be a portable something or other.
It's true that Iwata said they didn't unite the dev teams for the reason of only outputting one device but that doesn't rule out a tablet with tv out, they can still bring out alternative devices beyond whatever this is.
I think people overlook the context of those comments; 1: he was assuring people (investors) they wouldn't be narrowing their appeal to a single device, 2: he was talking about this a whole TWO months after the Wii U launched! Combined with saying they may release just one device if the market decides, well, the reaction from the Wii U's performance may have decided for them.

A lot of people seem to gloss over the portable part altogether, despite the main thrust of their strategy being about mobile tech becoming more capable.

Stuff like this and the speculated "Nintendo Phone" thing might've maybe worked 6-7 years ago. By now if they were to do it, they might as well make a Nintendo PDA. Basically it's a death wish.

Pretty much this. Without all if the multimedia and productivity of a modern tablet it would fail hatd.

Menitta

After Nintendo failing to tap into the tablet market with the Wii U, they wouldn't just make a tablet. The past however many years, they've had the goal to bring something new to the industry. A tablet wouldn't be anything new.

After Nintendo failing to tap into the tablet market with the Wii U, they wouldn't just make a tablet. The past however many years, they've had the goal to bring something new to the industry. A tablet wouldn't be anything new.

The Wii U was barely an attempt at tapping into the tablet market. With that low resolution resistive screen, it never stood a chance at attracting the iPad crowd.

No. It'd be DOA if it were. There's not a lot of innovative unique things you can do w/ a gaming tablet, it'd make having a portable handheld redundant (having just a gaming tablet maybe won't affect them in Japan that much but kills their chances in the West), and limits their power capabilities in terms of what many 3rd parties would be able to do with it.

So uh,..yeah...but nah.

Seeing as tablets are a dying market, sounds about right for Nintendo to jump in now

There's also this, but hey....they could revitalize it, too. Could go either way.

I just don't think it's a very logical market for them to jump into.

jts

...hate me...
I don't think a device you'll have to keep plugging and unplugging from HDMI is good device design. At worst, there would be a dock with power and HDMI by your TV where you'll just rest it and kickback with your bluetooth controller.

Also, really? at the idea that Nintendo was trying to compete in the tablet market with the Wii U. Tablets are autonomous computing devices with multiple applications, from productivity to leisure. The Wii U Gamepad is a console controller with a screen.

Instro

I don't think so. Frankly if they can't compete in the traditional gaming market, they are surely not going to be able to compete in the extremely competitive tablet market.

tr1p1ex

They could do a tablet-sized handheld. That's really just an even larger 3ds xl.

But Nintendo is still likely to make both handhelds and consoles with the difference being they all run on the same NX platform.

NSESN

Maybe the NX handheld, if it exists, is a tablet. But what is going to launch in march is a console I believe.

Top Bottom