• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPECULATION: Is this indicative of Red Dead Redemption 2 releasing in September?

FelipeMGM

BIG ASS EDIT: So this doesnt seem to be about RDR at all, but it could be for the new Far Cry

This doesn't sound like RDR as it takes place in an imaginary place called Hope County. Open world, global franchise, imaginary locale, crew members from France ---- maybe Far Cry?

This is all very vague so I don't want to put the wrong pieces together and make an educated guess that turns out to be incorrect, but just to help prevent too many people from getting excited, I don't think this is RDR2; I think it's the next game game in a different series that I've heard is set in a location that sounds a lot like this. Rockstar doesn't do live-action trailers, after all.

I've heard rumors of the next Far Cry taking place in the American Great Plains states and dealing with militias/survivalists.

You guys are good!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, Im on the ''This is not coming in 2017, this is R* we are talking about'' boat...

...BUT this story popped on my twitter feed a few minutes ago

Its about a crew filming scenes in a old church in Montana for an upcoming videogame which they dont mention by name. But I think the description matches RDR2 a lot, and they mention in the article that it will be released in September. Here are some quotes:

A church on the northeastern Montana prairie that once served family and band members of the late Lakota Sioux Chief Sitting Bull will soon be featured in an upcoming video game.

The Mni-Sda (Still Water) Presbyterian Church, known locally as the Chelsea Church, sits just off U.S. Highway 2 between Poplar and Wolf Point.

Its belfry is what attracted filmmakers to the structure, which was constructed in 1904, and is the oldest church on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation.

Monday, crew members used a drone that repeatedly flew by the belfry filming a man fighting with another man near a hanging bell as a train rolled by on the tracks a half-mile away. The footage mostly will be used for promotion of the video game

Producers couldn't release the name of the video game but said production areas for it stretched more than 5,000 miles from California to Montana.

”This is a sequel to an existing global franchise," said Los Angeles-based Producer Jeff Guillot, who came to the reservation with 11 other crew members from Paris, Los Angeles and Bozeman.

The backstory of the video game, which will be released in September, is of an open world that takes place in an imaginary Hope County, Guillot said.

The location and art departments for the film are manned by a Bozeman crew, including location manager Will Brewster who was charged with the task of finding the perfect belfry for the project.

Brewster scouted 25 church belfries in Montana and had found three in small communities that matched the producer's criteria: It had to be in the prairie, on a hill, have an open belfry and good angles for shooting.

So Gaf, what do you think? Is this about Red Dead Redemption 2?

Mods feel free to change the name of the thread, because Im awful at that

It would indicate that Take-Two is confident enough to move forward on producing marketing materials, but doesn't necessarily confirm it won't be delayed. As far as the publisher seems to think, the game is on track for a September release. But I wouldn't be shocked if past Rockstar games to suffer delays were in similar positions a few months out from scheduled launch.

I mean, that's definitely RDR2 they're talking about. There's always the possibility they put those promotional materials on ice for later if the game does have a late-term delay, but it sounds like they're still aiming for 2017.

Which is uplifting!

Dabanton

So either the main or if R* are doing a three or four character story one of them is potentially a Sioux Indian.

My guess is this is a trailer they may use for E3.

My only concern is that "Hope County" reference. Not sure, but I would think it's much larger than that.

Here's that old leaked map:

Red%20Dead%20map%20leak.jpg

Definitely sounds like RDR2. Really hoping it drops in September. Hopefully Scorpio will get moved up so we can play it at launch on the new system.

Stiler

It has to be, unless I missed this other western "Global franchise."

September sounds great and that's in the fall, which is what Rockstar said last year for the release window, fall of 2017.

This sounds like a live action promo they are shooting for it, probably a tv commercial.

So either the main or if R* are doing a three or four character story one of them is potentially a Sioux Indian.

The key art that was released at reveal had 7 characters on it. 3 of which are new, the other 4 were in Redemption(Dutch, Javier, Bill, and John) The one on the far right is most likely an Indian, and one of the three protags.

On top of that, we already have a good idea of who the three leads actors are, seemingly it's Noshir Dalal (Far right, Native American), Roger Clark Smith(far left), and Jeff Harms(middle right). Though the first two seem more sure than the last.

Flibbertygiblet

Neo Member
This doesn't sound like RDR as it takes place in an imaginary place called Hope County. Open world, global franchise, imaginary locale, crew members from France ---- maybe Far Cry?

Van Bur3n

It has RDR2 written all over it.

As I've said many times before however, I really hope this game introduces its own set of characters with their own story that doesn't relate to the first Redemption, a similar approach to GTA.

I really don't see the potential of reliving the past of Dutch's gang. I feel the story of the first made it quite clear how it went down, we actually knowing how it ends. I just don't see the point in doing this prequel nonsense. Also, is John Marston's voice actor basically done with voice acting? I cannot imagine a Marston without his voice, young or not.

Do rockstar usually use live action stuff to promote their games?

No, but this is Rockstar after earning millions off of GTA Online. Who knows what they're capable of pulling off now.

Mad Dog McCree sequel
After reading more about the Chelsea church on the internet — including the infamous “Goat Man” story — in which some locals claim to have seen in the area years ago – Brewster traveled seven hours one way to the reservation to check out the Chelsea church

Goat Man? OK this is definitely an RDR game

Wasnt that confirmed fake though?
I thought the opposite, but not totally sure.

Spider-Vice

Neo Member
It does sound like RDR2 to me. Although Rockstar doesn't do much live action video, it could be something new they're making. At least that's the only thing I can think about when they talk about a sequel.

jdstorm

Banned
Is it too late to make a Red Steel 3 joke?

Glad to hear the Alledged game that may or may not be Red dead 2 is going well

CorySchmitz

It has to be, unless I missed this other western "Global franchise."

September sounds great and that's in the fall, which is what Rockstar said last year for the release window, fall of 2017.

This sounds like a live action promo they are shooting for it, probably a tv commercial.

Nvm sry

arcticice

Seems like RDR2.
and i'm in the group that believes it will come this Fall. R* doesnt do a lot of marketing, so i am expecting next trailer at Sony's E3 (with release date of fall), then silence till August, then a full fledged marketing campaign along with previews with release in late October.

theHFIC

please be konami finally putting out Sunset Riders 2. all ready to preorder the "bury me with my money" edition.

FelipeMGM

Do rockstar usually use live action stuff to promote their games?

they dont, thats the weirdest part for me. Maybe they will from now one tho. And as others said in another thread, Sony does a lot of live action stuff, maybe they were shooting this for their marketing purposes, since they have a partnership with R* for the game.

Despite making this thread and especulating over this news piece, Im not convinced at all this will be released this year lol

GLAMr

I'm highly skeptical, but would be stoked if this is true. If RDR2 released this year, it might knock HZD off as my GOTY.

jschreier

This is all very vague so I don't want to put the wrong pieces together and make an educated guess that turns out to be incorrect, but just to help prevent too many people from getting excited, I don't think this is RDR2; I think it's the next game game in a different series that I've heard is set in a location that sounds a lot like this. Rockstar doesn't do live-action trailers, after all.

Gun 2, got it

Philippo

Oh so we're getting another western themed series?
IS THIS RED STEEL 3?

why wouldn't it come this year? the first game came out in 2010... it better not slip to 2018. almost a decade in between is ridiculous.

FelipeMGM

I've heard rumors of the next Far Cry taking place in the American Great Plains states and dealing with militias/survivalists.

You guys are good!

huh, to me this is even more interesting news then. A FarCry set in that era could be really cool

thanks for the imput everybody

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
A new Far Cry game already releasing in september? i highly doubt that.

Ashtar

A new Far Cry game already releasing in september? i highly doubt that.
Far Cry 4 was 2014 so 3 years, sounds like decent amount of dev time
Going head to head with RDR2 could spell disaster.... but if RDR gets delayed it could be a great move!

Top Bottom