• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speculation: Nextgen to be 30TFLOPs+?

bitbydeath

Feel free to shut this down with facts I'm not understanding cause these estimates sound crazy.

Navi 10 Estimated Specifications

Navi will be arriving in a single- and dual-GPU card with Navi 10 and Navi 10 x2, with the dual-GPU variant set to be an absolute monster.

GPU: 7nm Navi 10 (128 NCUs)
Performance: 50TFLOPs+ half precision, 30TFLOPs single precision
GPU clock speeds: Unknown
RAM: 16-128GB of "Nexgen Memory"
PCIe: PCIe 4.0 x16 host connection
TDP: 150-300W
Release: 2019+

Dual Navi 10 Estimated Specifications This is just nuts, maybe some of this will hit - with my estimates, it'll be interesting to come back to this in 2 years time.

GPU: 7nm Navi 10 (128 NCUs) x 2 (256 NCUs total)
Performance: 100TFLOPs+ half precision, 60TFLOPs single precision
RAM: 32-256GB of "Nexgen Memory"

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/55875/amd-launch-monster-navi-10-2019-next-gen-ram/index.html

Why would nextgen consoles get Navi?
Well, there really is nothing else.

AMDGPU.jpg

Polaris - Used in PS4 Pro
Vega - Too large for consoles.
Navi - 7nm, arrives 2019

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yes, but can it do 240fps?

e0FJG6J.jpg

What we may see in a next gen console depends on various things such as the cost of using it in a console as well as things such as the power and heat constraints, I don't expect them to use the highest end GPU hardware available as it will probably be quite costly to use and not feasible for a console due to things such as the previously mentioned power, heat and cost constraints.

I'm hoping their GPUs are capable of 16 or above TFs if they're releasing in 2019 and on wards, however I don't know how plausible that is. I think that them having GPUs that are capable of at-least 10-12TFs is quite plausible but of-course we don't know for certain. IMO that kind of increase seems a little low though coming from mid gen machines so ideally I'm hoping for 16 or above TFs with 24GB or more memory, I think somewhere between 12 and 16 TFs is quite likely though.

If their flops are comparable to Polaris, a PS5 with a 16 TF GPU would be a huge upgrade from the base PS4 as it would be theoretically over 8.5x faster, a PS5 with a 10-12 TF GPU also still be a sizable upgrade as the GPU is theoretically around 5.4-6.5x more powerful but as I said before this kind of increase seems a little low IMO.

Fortunately the CPU and memory the new consoles will have are huge factors which contribute to the power and capabilities of the machines as the GPU power doesn't necessarily tell the whole story, although it is very important. So in the event that the new consoles launch with GPUs that are a bit lacking they'll hopefully be huge improvements to their CPUs and memory systems. With faster CPUs and more memory you can create larger worlds which are more advanced and more detailed on a simulation level among other things!

EDIT:

After thinking about this more I think a console with a 12-16TF GPU is the most plausible outcome for a 2019 next generation console launch, above 16TFs may just be wishful thinking on my part but it will be interesting to see how GPU technology develops over the years and what tech becomes available for PCs and Consoles. There could be some really nice architectural improvements from newer GPU technology in 2019 and onwards.

Regardless of the mid gen consoles, a next gen console with a significantly faster CPU, 24+ GB of memory and a 12TF GPU would be a huge upgrade from the base PS4 and Xbox One. A lot more can be done with games on hardware like this as they'll be unshackled from the limitations of the base PS4 and Xbox One consoles outside of cross gen games.

dr_rus

Vega - Too large for consoles.
Navi - 7nm, arrives 2019

If Vega is too large for consoles then Navi used in consoles will likely be more or less Vega 10 shrinked down on 7nm to become smaller (meaning - cheaper). This in turn means that it won't have 128 CUs and whatever performance it may gain over Vega will come from lower power draw and a possibility of higher clocks. If they will be able to push it to a somewhat stable 2GHz then we're looking at ~16.5TFlops which is about half of what you're saying. And that's a highly optimistic scenario for a nextgen GCN GPU based on 7nm.

GPU: 7nm Navi 10 (128 NCUs)
Performance: 50TFLOPs+ half precision, 30TFLOPs single precision
RAM: 16-128GB of "Nexgen Memory"

This specs are really good. I don't know why.. It reminds me that Polygon MK8 pie chart.

Yarbskoo

The prettiest games you've ever seen capped at 30fps with bad frame pacing.

Maybe it'll be enough for 16x AF though.

Top Bottom