• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spelunky 2 |OT| Bouncing Under The Earth

Komatsu

RIYxsE0.png

pW3pYCS.jpg

Developer: Mossmouth / Blitworks
Genre: Platformer
Platforms: PS4, PC
Release Date: September 15th (PS4) / September 29th (PC)
Price: $19.99

Spelunky 2 builds upon the unique, randomized challenges that made the original a roguelike classic, offering a huge adventure designed to satisfy players old and new. Meet the next generation of explorers as they find themselves on the Moon, searching for treasure and missing family. [summary from MetaCritic]

om0WguJ.jpg

eJicFVK.png
7pgGZW1.png

spelunky-gif-01.gif
spelunky-gif-02.gif

*Gifs were not created by me. They were taken from gfycat/giphy. If you are the author, please let us know and credit will be given.

0p2FJ6V.png

Last edited:
Komatsu Komatsu Can you remove that last gif? It may or may not be a huge spoiler for reasons I'll go into below.

That's either from the first game, or it spoils the fact that you can go back to the starting area of the first game in the new game. The character being played also seems to be a secret character who has special abilities. That or the gif is from a modded version of the original game. I'm hardly an expert, so I can't really tell. Either way, you might want to remove the gif.

Thanks for the thread, though. It's nice to see that the sequel turned out to be good.

bronk

Banned
Woke up this morning to play. Saw that it updated and now the game won't launch. It shuts down my system everytime. On PS4 Pro.

Edit: ive uninstalled, reinstalled and restored licenses. The game still isn't working. It loads first title screen stays stuck there then shuts off system.

Last edited:

Komatsu

Woke up this morning to play. Saw that it updated and now the game won't launch. It shuts down my system everytime. On PS4 Pro.

Edit: ive uninstalled, reinstalled and restored licenses. The game still isn't working. It loads first title screen stays stuck there then shuts off system.

Did you fix it? Heard about other people struggling with it on PS4.

bronk

Banned
So I turned on my PS4 and saw Spelunky 2 updated. I go to play the game and its freezing at first title screen and shutting off my system again. This is extremely annoying i might ask for my money back (or try) i can excuse bugs but i cant even play the game. Ive only got to play a couple times since i got it.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
It really doesn’t look different enough from the first one, I’ve watched a few runs, this is a mod pack or level pack, with very subtle changes and small additions. Dude made one game, sure it’s great, but he’s been making an entire career out of repackaging it slightly because the reviews go crazy for it.
Also, I checked on steam, the line the dev is using is “this is happening because you’re using an aftermarket hdd” which has to be utter nonsense, I’ve never heard of any PS4 game that has that issue.

Last edited:
It really doesn’t look different enough from the first one, I’ve watched a few runs, this is a mod pack or level pack, with very subtle changes and small additions. Dude made one game, sure it’s great, but he’s been making an entire career out of repackaging it slightly because the reviews go crazy for it.
Also, I checked on steam, the line the dev is using is “this is happening because you’re using an aftermarket hdd” which has to be utter nonsense, I’ve never heard of any PS4 game that has that issue.

Its not just "one dude" making a anymore. It hasn't been for some time.

Derek Yu created the original Spelunky in using the tool "GameMaker" and released it for free in 2008. That pixel art game he made by himself is quite different from what people now know as Spelunky. http://gamemakerblog.com/2014/09/23/game-review-spelunky/

The game people recognize now as Spelunky is the 2012 HD remake of his original game. Released originally on XBLA. And then eventually on many other consoles. That Enhanced Edition / HD Remake had a team of people working on it. As does this new game Spelunky 2

Spelunky 2 is developed by Blitworks which was the studio in Barcelona that Sony introduced Derek to do the Playstation3 and PS Vita version ports of Spelunky HD. Derick worked with them by giving them design notes etc. But he admits he was mostly hands off as far as the art and coding of the game.

I played about 12 hours of the new game. It does have some of the same enemies and even bosses etc. But thats the same as all Mario games having koppas, mushrooms and bowser etc. The core movement and some familar enemies/characters are what grounds it as a Spelunky game.

There is more that enough that is brand new to make it feel like a whole new adventure. Especially the physics and fluid dynamics stuff with water or lava etc that can flow and pour and modify. That by itself is a huge game changer. But there is also the "back stage" areas of the map which is a huge change. Every level basically has doors to another hidden area behind it with secrets etc.

And I feel its well worth the $20 I spent on it.

Edit: been playing on PS4 pro. No issues with it so far.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Never played the first one, what differentiate this brand from the other roguelite?

there is any form of progression between the runs?

Sorne

Never played the first one, what differentiate this brand from the other roguelite?

there is any form of progression between the runs?

Well, since I haven't played 2 yet, I'm only talking from experience with the first one.

What makes this roguelike stand out is definitely the tight platforming controls, and how everything in the game feels so dynamic. Everything is designed with a very systematic approach, so anything can interact with anything really. Then of course the procedurally generated levels are so well setup with an algorithm, which makes it really hard to notice any patterns from one run to another.
Also, it's difficulty is very challenging as well. There are no progressions per say, in between each run, but you can unlock shortcuts to practice each area of the game.

Oh and also, the game has tons of secret content very well worth exploring!

GymWolf

Well, since I haven't played 2 yet, I'm only talking from experience with the first one.

What makes this roguelike stand out is definitely the tight platforming controls, and how everything in the game feels so dynamic. Everything is designed with a very systematic approach, so anything can interact with anything really. Then of course the procedurally generated levels are so well setup with an algorithm, which makes it really hard to notice any patterns from one run to another.
Also, it's difficulty is very challenging as well. There are no progressions per say, in between each run, but you can unlock shortcuts to practice each area of the game.

Oh and also, the game has tons of secret content very well worth exploring!
Take a look to noita boyo.

bronk

Banned
I still cant play the fuckin game. Every update. Uninstall reinstall and crashes system every fuckin time. Wasting my time. Spelunky is one of my favorite games so they really irking me now. PS4 Pro.

Videospel

Does anyone know how to disable Vsync in the game? I assume mine is on because my framerate is exactly at 30 fps all the time. It's annoying, because the game speed appears to be tied to the framerate, so I'm playing at half speed. On the bright side, this makes the game easier...

bronk

Banned
Every fuckin time i try to play this game it shuts off my system. Fuck this game im done with it.

Hope u guys are having fun though. Im bummed.

I wish it wasn't procedural. This just artificially prolongs the game and makes it annoying.

Even if you are doing amazing for once, random forces will be sure to come into play and you end up getting shafted.

Shame as the gameplay is great fun. Or even take the 3 minute (or whatever it is) time limit away (the ghost) then you could at least get methodical on its ass.

Sorne

I wish it wasn't procedural. This just artificially prolongs the game and makes it annoying.

Even if you are doing amazing for once, random forces will be sure to come into play and you end up getting shafted.

Shame as the gameplay is great fun. Or even take the 3 minute (or whatever it is) time limit away (the ghost) then you could at least get methodical on its ass.

But that's the whole point of roguelikes, that it's procedural and has big replayability ? That and other things such as permadeath etc.
And the ghost make sure you don't take too long in each level.

Spelunky is not a game about getting to the end and call it a day. You're supposed to struggle, overcoming all those challenges, and try to makes different runs, either going for shortcuts or exploring all the secrets, and practice as much as you can, so you can finally make end game runs.

EDIT: Alternatively, if you really wanted a non-procedural run, you could always do a seeded run.

Last edited:

bronk

Banned
Im able to play this game once in awhile. Its been good since last update so i thought all is well. I try to start it up and it freezes my ps4pro to the point i have to pull the power chord. This game has been the worst in this regard of any game I've played this generation. Sony wont even give me my money back. What a crock of shit

Edit: on the game itself. Its good fun but im not finding myself having quite as much fun as the first. I dont know I think its too crowded in the levels or something. Wish i could play more :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom