• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spencer on Why There Are No Xbox Series X Exclusives: We’re Putting the Player at the Center

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So this is what “smart delivery” is. One disc that will work in all systems (XB1/X/XSX) and then it’ll just download which patched version of the game.

Basically how it works now with Pro/X patches, “versions”.

Seems like that’s your online DRM?

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Unlike Sony that have announced a dozen of killer apps for next generation!!
Ok so what do you think? MS has said no exclusives.....Several B studios/Studios are making games for launch, gamepass and the next few years. You think these games will matchup to what ND, Guerilla, Santa Monica, Insomniac, PD etc are working on?

So if we look at their AAA games, Halo Infinite is on gamepass day 1, so I will play that on PC, point is I wont be playing at $60, maybe a $1, so I'm not losing here, I'll be basically playing for free.....I'll do the same for Forza 8. Funny thing is, $1 gamepass only will give me many MS games at launch, including all the compulsion games, undead labs titles I won't play.....And no, I won't buy any DLC for anything, so MS is going to lose lots of potential revenue, but as you guys always say.....120 Trillion and all that......

sixamp

Microsoft is not releasing any Series X only exclusives for like the first year or so, all games from them will be shared between the Xbox One and Series X as to not just abandon Xbox One users.

They're still going to have exclusives, just not tied only to the Series X.

That's exactly how it should be. Releasing console exclusive games in your first year will just hurt sales of that game. Yes the exclusive is supposed to show off your console but year 1 you have less than 3 milliom consoles so releasing them on both Gens to a wider audience makes more sense

That's exactly how it should be. Releasing console exclusive games in your first year will just hurt sales of that game. Yes the exclusive is supposed to show off your console but year 1 you have less than 3 milliom consoles so releasing them on both Gens to a wider audience makes more sense
The PS4 had sold 5.3million units within weeks, at this point in time the xb1 wasn't that far behind.

Also, exclusives on a new console get some serious boost in sales, probably because people want something to play on their new hardware, and they want to show it off.
So if we look at their AAA games, Halo Infinite is on gamepass day 1, so I will play that on PC, point is I wont be playing at $60, maybe a $1, so I'm not losing here, I'll be basically playing for free.....I'll do the same for Forza 8. Funny thing is, $1 gamepass only will give me many MS games at launch, including all the compulsion games, undead labs titles I won't play.....And no, I won't buy any DLC for anything, so MS is going to lose lots of potential revenue, but as you guys always say.....120 Trillion and all that......
Don't they have some protection about people re-activating under the 1$ promotion? If too many people do it they will stop offering the product or the promotion.

Most people are too lazy to cancel and wait to re-subscribe, which in the end makes them spend much more money on games than they normally would over the course of a console generation, without anything to play for it as soon as they cancel (which is the same for any service of this kind).

Last edited:
Ok so what do you think? MS has said no exclusives.....Several B studios/Studios are making games for launch, gamepass and the next few years. You think these games will matchup to what ND, Guerilla, Santa Monica, Insomniac, PD etc are working on?

What you're arguing there is that Microsoft offering you more options and significantly cheaper options to play these games is somehow a net positive for Sony. This is the Twilight Zone.

thelastword

Banned
What you're arguing there is that Microsoft offering you more options and significantly cheaper options to play these games is somehow a net positive for Sony. This is the Twilight Zone.
NO I'm not naïve.....I can't only think of myself in a relationship......If your kid brings you gold chains, buys you Ferraris, takes you out on vacations.....He's only 10....You will never question how he gets the money or the things?

If you are in a relationship and 1 party is spending thousands and you spend $1 every now and then, you will just coast till the honey train runs out? You think that's how life works? Eventually the honey train will run out....

I believe in fareness, make a quality product, If I like it I will pay what you are asking......MS is offering pretty much all their games for peanuts on gamepass, not because they want to, but because there's is not so much enthusiasm for their games at $60.....So you rather enjoy the games of all the hardworking people for $1 gamepass.......As I said you'll get to play Halo Infinite, Forza 8, All the games from the AA studios for a $1 and you will never question how these devs will be sustained and never think that the XBOX division may close down, when the returns on investment is not there?

That's what I call missing the forest for the trees....

NO I'm not naïve.....I can't only think of myself in a relationship......If your kid brings you gold chains, buys you Ferraris, takes you out on vacations.....He's only 10....You will never question how he gets the money or the things?

If you are in a relationship and 1 party is spending thousands and you spend $1 every now and then, you will just coast till the honey train runs out? You think that's how life works? Eventually the honey train will run out....

I believe in fareness, make a quality product, If I like it I will pay what you are asking......MS is offering pretty much all their games for peanuts on gamepass, not because they want to, but because there's is not so much enthusiasm for their games at $60.....So you rather enjoy the games of all the hardworking people for $1 gamepass.......As I said you'll get to play Halo Infinite, Forza 8, All the games from the AA studios for a $1 and you will never question how these devs will be sustained and never think that the XBOX division may close down, when the returns on investment is not there?

That's what I call missing the forest for the trees....

I take it that if Sony comes out with a Game Pass equivalent then you won't sign it, right? You know you're not forced to sign it with an Xbox either, right? You could just buy those games if you're worried about the morality of the situation.

thelastword

Banned
I take it that if Sony comes out with a Game Pass equivalent then you won't sign it, right? You know you're not forced to sign it with an Xbox either, right? You could just buy those games if you're worried about the morality of the situation.
Well you know, I actually bought all the ultimate versions of Forza, Gears etc....except 5, after I played that, no way.....I bought Recore, Killer Instinct years ago, so, the only game I've used gamepass for was Gears 5....I didn't have the zeal for outer worlds...

you definitely strike me as the type of person who would go out and spend $60 on Microsoft titles if not for GamePass.

FranXico

PSNow currently is the closest you can get to GamePass. If it was as cheap, I might consider it, yes.
Did not subscribe to it so far.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PSNow currently is the closest you can get to GamePass. If it was as cheap, I might consider it, yes.
Did not subscribe to it so far.

They did lower it to $10 a month recently, didn’t they? I’m not 100% on that since I still don’t have much of an interest in a sub service for gaming. Still not fire sale pricing of $1, however.

Alebrije

At the center of.........

3a0.gif

No exclusives Xbone series will be just a generic pc. The only reason to buy it will be for retrocompability and AAA from other developers in case PS5 is left behind regarding power.

thelastword

Banned
Don't they have some protection about people re-activating under the 1$ promotion? If too many people do it they will stop offering the product or the promotion.

Most people are too lazy to cancel and wait to re-subscribe, which in the end makes them spend much more money on games than they normally would over the course of a console generation, without anything to play for it as soon as they cancel (which is the same for any service of this kind).
I think they tried to stop the guys who subbed for years to gamepass ultimate with only a few dollars.....Not sure they can stop you from redoing a $1 or $2 sub, they're only offering it because they want people to get on, so I doubt they would block that....

Funny enough, I have not stopped my sub, not because I'm playing anything gamepass, but because I just don't even care to load the MS app...….farless play a game there...so I guess they can have a few people that way, but you will get to it eventually....I guess the same happens for Netflix, Hulu etc....I've been on so many of these services and hardly use the content.....However the point people like to make is persons will buy DLC, not hat's not happening, even if you are subbed and too lazy to hit an unsub button, you're not playing gamepass games means you're not buying any DLC......Though MS loves that you at least load the games to claim another MAU stat....

Also, MS still loses, because few people will let a sub on for an entire year without use, a couple of months at most.....Let's say I live it for a year, that's $180 and that covers much more than three games at $60...….And I do purchase much more than that on PS4 in any calendar year for exclusives alone.....Personally, I'd rather buy 3 MS games that I will have access to anytime I want for the year than spend a $180 on gamepass.....Which nobody is actually spending tbh.....I know guys who have gamepass ultimate for the next 5 years and they got it for peanuts the last time....

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Whats funny is, all these people complaining about GP, they conveniently forget that if you really care so much about devs missing out on sales, they can buy the game with a discount through Gamepass.

In short, stop bitching, start playing or STFU.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Phil is just saving face for all the Studios he touted as huge purchases and they would be a juggernaut for next gen...…..They have nothing at the moment and they are not ready for next gen...…..The most hype came from the "Initiative" and we have not heard a blip from them.....I'm not sure everything is going honky dory after all the poaching....
I presume you know of both MS and Sony’s plans and can elaborate on all the games coming out if you are making such claims? Because if you can’t back it all up, I’d suggest you shut up and stop spreading fud. As far as we know MS has a lot in the pipeline and is ready to kick some serious ass by the end of the year!

FacelessSamurai

Oh look at you big boy, spending that 1$ for gamepass and showing the middle finger to the big companies, am I right? You sir, are a fucking joke.

Games don’t need to be exclusive to look great next gen and be an incentive to upgrade. Also, with MS supporting a huge ecosystem, it’s the most “for the players” any of the big 3 has ever been and the company is only going to go up from here. But I understand, it hurts your rear end to know that a Sony competitor is doing all these smart things while you are on the sidelines worrying about papa Cerny’s 9.2Tflops console.

FacelessSamurai

So this is what “smart delivery” is. One disc that will work in all systems (XB1/X/XSX) and then it’ll just download which patched version of the game.

So basically you are saying that every Xbox or PlayStation game that needs a patch to fully enjoy the game(so basically every game these days) has drm?

So basically you are saying that every Xbox or PlayStation game that needs a patch to fully enjoy the game(so basically every game these days) has drm?
Read what he said again.

Oh look at you big boy, spending that 1$ for gamepass and showing the middle finger to the big companies, am I right? You sir, are a fucking joke.

Games don’t need to be exclusive to look great next gen and be an incentive to upgrade. Also, with MS supporting a huge ecosystem, it’s the most “for the players” any of the big 3 has ever been and the company is only going to go up from here. But I understand, it hurts your rear end to know that a Sony competitor is doing all these smart things while you are on the sidelines worrying about papa Cerny’s 9.2Tflops console.
You could use an attitude adjustment.

Exclusives are, objectively speaking, important reasons for upgrading to a next gen system. Otherwise, why buy the console to begin with? For an on paper spec that means little? I know in PS5 and Switch that variety is pretty much guaranteed, from Naughty Dog games on the PS5 or Zelda on the Switch or general Japanese games on both... whilst Microsoft shoots themselves in the foot with spending too much time acquiring studios instead of making games, especially new IP's from the studios who are only given one each. What's up with that? What took Microsoft 7 years to acquire new first party studios?

What multiplatform game would make we want to upgrade?

Last edited:

It better not be like this, if the XSX disc just has the X1 version without the enhancement patch then physical versions are gonna be hugely gimped.

People love to throw around that discs this gen almost need their patches, but like 90% of my 200+ PS4 discs can be played perfectly fine unpatched with very little change in the experience.

FacelessSamurai

Read what he said again.

You could use an attitude adjustment.

Exclusives are, objectively speaking, important reasons for upgrading to a next gen system. Otherwise, why buy the console to begin with? For an on paper spec that means little? I know in PS5 and Switch that variety is pretty much guaranteed, from Naughty Dog games on the PS5 or Zelda on the Switch or general Japanese games on both... whilst Microsoft shoots themselves in the foot with spending too much time acquiring studios instead of making games, especially new IP's from the studios who are only given one each. What's up with that? What took Microsoft 7 years to acquire new first party studios?

What multiplatform game would make we want to upgrade?
I don't need an attitude adjustment when answering to people trolling and considering the lack of seriousness in threads around here, I'd say rightly so.

I have read what he said, honestly considering the current responses online, I'd say people are quite happy about it. Pay once, get all the upgrades for free. It's not like Pro and X as those were part of the same console generation. Series X is next gen and won't make you buy those games again. And that's without taking into account the fact that so man versions of a game might not fit on a 50GB disc anyway. I still expect next gen discs tbqh, but having the option is always best for the consumer. When CDPR themselves praise the feature (a developer at that, the ones that could be making more money releasing several versions), you know your shit's good.

As for exclusives, you real believe all those COD Ghost players bought the 360/PS3 version? No, they went ahead and bought Xbone and PS4 in droves to play with the latest and greatest visuals, same for madden and BF4, games that sold more copies than any MS/Sony exclusive at launch. New consoles don't sell because of exclusives, but because of the prospect of higher fidelity gaming, just like upgrading the CPU and GPU in your computer. Always has, always will. Even SquareEnix has said they won't have next gen exclusives for a while, I wonder why... Oh look, a japanese develope trying to sabotage nextgen!

And I like how you say they are shooting themselves in the foot when MS is the one right now in the last legs of this gen releasing tons of games and they themselves are saying they have tons more in the pipeline from their new studios. And as far as I know their studios were still developing games while acquisitions were happening, with new studios coming in thanks to a change of leadership and thinking at MS.

FacelessSamurai

It better not be like this, if the XSX disc just has the X1 version without the enhancement patch then physical versions are gonna be hugely gimped.

People love to throw around that discs this gen almost need their patches, but like 90% of my 200+ PS4 discs can be played perfectly fine unpatched with very little change in the experience.
Buying discs is stupid, PC gaming is thriving right now and no one buys physical on PC. And the over 60% of sales in January being digital just goes on to show that discs are on their way out. Even the physical games and movies section at my local BestBuy was reduced to less than a third of what it was before. EB Games had o move to a smaller location. Reality is digital is just too convenient.

There will most likely be XSX discs, but with games like Cyberpunk 2077 releasing before next gen, at least you have the safety of knowing that buying the game early to enjoy on current gen, you won't have to buy it again once new console are released. Don't know what's hard to understand about that.

Oh wait, it's a MS thread, you gotta find something bad to say about it and make shit up to make it look bad!

Why are xbone fans so aggressive? I mean, you can disagree, but you just go straight to the personal insults and provide no arguments, unless you count repeating the latest Xbox slogans.

FacelessSamurai

Why are xbone fans so aggressive? I mean, you can disagree, but you just go straight to the personal insults and provide no arguments, unless you count repeating the latest Xbox slogans.
Maybe you should read the rest of the thread before commenting then, as this is an Xbox thread filled with people changing the subject and talking shit about Xbox. So if I am supposedly aggressive, I wonder what that makes everyone else on here derailing the thread?

There will most likely be XSX discs, but with games like Cyberpunk 2077 releasing before next gen, at least you have the safety of knowing that buying the game early to enjoy on current gen, you won't have to buy it again once new console are released. Don't know what's hard to understand about that.
The problem is people acting as if the MS consoles were the only ones that offered that feature (play cross gen, with potential enhancements)... This is par for the course by now, the PS5 will do the same, but it will also offer actual"next-gen" games (we need to see how that turns out, but this is potentially a diffententiator).

Then there is the partial compatibility with the 360 and oh Xbox... It's nice, but it's also very misleading to call it backward compatibility (still much better than nothing, but they are not selling you what they claim to be selling). But this is expected to be standard on the PS5 as well, and I assume it will be complete, actual transparent backward compatibility with the ps1 to PS4.

I don't need an attitude adjustment when answering to people trolling and considering the lack of seriousness in threads around here, I'd say rightly so.

I have read what he said, honestly considering the current responses online, I'd say people are quite happy about it. Pay once, get all the upgrades for free. It's not like Pro and X as those were part of the same console generation. Series X is next gen and won't make you buy those games again. And that's without taking into account the fact that so man versions of a game might not fit on a 50GB disc anyway. I still expect next gen discs tbqh, but having the option is always best for the consumer. When CDPR themselves praise the feature (a developer at that, the ones that could be making more money releasing several versions), you know your shit's good.

As for exclusives, you real believe all those COD Ghost players bought the 360/PS3 version? No, they went ahead and bought Xbone and PS4 in droves to play with the latest and greatest visuals, same for madden and BF4, games that sold more copies than any MS/Sony exclusive at launch. New consoles don't sell because of exclusives, but because of the prospect of higher fidelity gaming, just like upgrading the CPU and GPU in your computer. Always has, always will. Even SquareEnix has said they won't have next gen exclusives for a while, I wonder why... Oh look, a japanese develope trying to sabotage nextgen!

And I like how you say they are shooting themselves in the foot when MS is the one right now in the last legs of this gen releasing tons of games and they themselves are saying they have tons more in the pipeline from their new studios. And as far as I know their studios were still developing games while acquisitions were happening, with new studios coming in thanks to a change of leadership and thinking at MS.
You don't answer trolls by becoming one, whether your accusations towards them are true or not.

Of course people are going to be happy when they're practically being given away a service, and I enjoy it too without paying $1 for it but you know what I mean. As for upgrades, who said that Microsoft is going to be the only ones doing it? The same feature existed last gen (for a price, yes) and then they just stopped doing it, who's to say that'll stop?

Yes, exclusives sell consoles and multiplats (especially technically superior ones) will initially sell them on top of exclusive launch titles, but exclusives are what really drives in consistent sales. The point isn't that they sell more than multiplats (even though Uncharted 4 has outsold a lot of multiplats this gen, go figure), it's that NPD is evident of the fact that they're able to make it in the top 10 and sell more systems per month. Is portability the only factor in wanting a Switch? No, in fact, it's going to continue having great first party support and people can't wait to play those Nintendo games that you will never be able to play on a PS5 or Series X. The real point is that the first party games matter the most.

I'm just saying I don't see a lot of reasons to be excited for another Microsoft system right now, as they had repeated history for 2 generations in a row. I'm not optimistic right now, but I can absolutely be swayed as long as it doesn't take another generation for them to release those games from the new studios... and of course they're making the same 3 staple IP's whilst acquiring new studios, but I'm sure we're on the same page when it comes to the amount of time it takes developing a game. How far into this generation are these games going to release? That's the real question.

Buying discs is stupid, PC gaming is thriving right now and no one buys physical on PC. And the over 60% of sales in January being digital just goes on to show that discs are on their way out. Even the physical games and movies section at my local BestBuy was reduced to less than a third of what it was before. EB Games had o move to a smaller location. Reality is digital is just too convenient.

Oh wait, it's a MS thread, you gotta find something bad to say about it and make shit up to make it look bad!
"PC doesn't need physical!" isn't an argument, PC gaming also sells significantly less multiplats and they don't nor should never determine the entire market as a whole. Physical games are important to this industry and gamers should never have their options limited just because x amount of people prefer a certain way of playing their games.

You can use the convenience point and that's fair enough, but physical media has its own fair share of convenient features, like not requiring you to take hours to install the games (although I don't like needing to load the discs before playing them and you could make the point that discs are becoming similar to digital too), and you neglected to mention the fact that digital media and its licensing are far more limited than physical media, and it's just begging for an always online DRM and digital future that I'll never accept nor want.

Last edited:

FacelessSamurai

The problem is people acting as if the MS consoles were the only ones that offered that feature (play cross gen, with potential enhancements)... This is par for the course by now, the PS5 will do the same, but it will also offer actual"next-gen" games (we need to see how that turns out, but this is potentially a diffententiator).

Then there is the partial compatibility with the 360 and oh Xbox... It's nice, but it's also very misleading to call it backward compatibility (still much better than nothing, but they are not selling you what they claim to be selling). But this is expected to be standard on the PS5 as well, and I assume it will be complete, actual transparent backward compatibility with the ps1 to PS4.
So MS BC is known and works very well, enhances games and all that but now according to you it's not real BC. And of course those supposed actual"next-gen" games from Sony (got any proof of that btw?) and last but not least, BC back to PS1 now expected to be standard on PS5? You are making this all up and claiming it's par for the course! Anything from MS is now misleading, and from Sony it's transparent. Wow! And then you act like you are not pro Sony????

And since when is it par for the course now that games will work on new consoles with enhancements? Isn't Sony the one that supposedly wants that differentiator of having generations? Then that means it would be in their best interest not to offer free upgrades and instead have people buy the same games twice. And unless Sony shows their cards for anything MS has announced so far, there is no way of knowing if Sony will do the same with PS5, so you can't assume for now as they might be going in a completely different direction.

FacelessSamurai

"PC doesn't need physical!" isn't an argument, PC gaming also sells significantly less multiplats and they don't nor should never determine the entire market as a whole. Physical games are important to this industry and gamers should never have their options limited just because x amount of people prefer a certain way of playing their games.

You can use the convenience point and that's fair enough, but physical media has its own fair share of convenient features, like not requiring you to take hours to install the games (although I don't like needing to load the discs before playing them and you could make the point that discs are becoming similar to digital too), and you neglected to mention the fact that digital media and its licensing are far more limited than physical media, and it's just begging for an always online DRM and digital future that I'll never accept nor want.

Yes, PC not needing physical is indeed an argument. PC is the most open and liked platform out there, and it has done so without any physical medium in like, forever! Steam lets you play games offline when you don't have internet. PC has mods, infinite compatibility, so yes, I'd say it's an example to follow. Stop with the DRM and digital future shit, stop living in the past, grow up, and join the rest of us in 2020 where physical is dying (and no only for gaming) and where people have finally let go of the stupidity that is physical and overpriced collector's editions and are instead buying digital or subscribing to Gamepass and Humble Bundle.

I personally don't know anyone who goes to the store to buy games anymore or even orders them from Amazon. Adults don't need to trade in to buy new games, or clutter their living rooms with infinite shelves filled with games. And I don't see the problem with licensing. All the games I bought I can still download as long as I want even when delisted, so it's not a problem.

Vawn

Banned

So Xbox has always had a quiet last couple years with their consoles. Xbox fans say they are good with that because they'd rather them focus on next-gen games instead of releasing great exclusives right up to the end, like Sony and Nintendo.

Now, we don't want them to have big exclusives the first couple years either? Are we hoping for another Xbox One where almost no big exclusives come the entire generation?

FacelessSamurai

So Xbox has always had a quiet last couple years with their consoles. Xbox fans say they are good with that because they'd rather them focus on next-gen games instead of releasing great exclusives right up to the end, like Sony and Nintendo.

Now, we don't want them to have big exclusives the first couple years either? Are we hoping for another Xbox One where almost no big exclusives come the entire generation?
Just this year you have Ori, Bleeding Edge, Flight SImulator, Halo Infinite, and Grounded coming out. Far from a lack of First Party exclusives on their last year, and we know there is more coming out from their studios. So not only are we good on games on the last year, we will also be good at launch! Wow, how things have changed!

Vawn

Banned
Just this year you have Ori, Bleeding Edge, Flight SImulator, Halo Infinite, and Grounded coming out. Far from a lack of First Party exclusives on their last year, and we know there is more coming out from their studios. So not only are we good on games on the last year, we will also be good at launch! Wow, how things have changed!

So Halo, a 2D multi-platform metroidvania and games no one cares about. We're happy with this now?

What are you talking about? I didn't make anything up, I was responding to a post. I don't care if people don't buy physical on PC, its how I buy my games and its the MAIN reason I game on console over PC.

Get out of here with your defense force shit.

Then why don't people like PS Now? It has downloadable games like Game Pass.

Probably because most of us played it when it was expensive, stream only, and ran like shit. Plus the download games for the most part aren’t that great at all and not much in terms of new content. GamePass gets MS titles day one, a lot of indie/AA type stuff day one, and AAA third party stuff not long after release.

I hope they do offer a similar service on PS5, it’s fantastic.

thelastword

Banned
And they wonder why they don't get responses and go reporting to the mods that you dont respond to them like past GAF member Redneckerz.....

-----------------
The truth is, I keep hearing people say "this is an xbox thread"......This is more a "here's what Phil said, here's his strategy for next gen" as opposed to a pure XBOX game OT.....

Phil is saying, that he wont have exclusives, which is pretty much against the grain of everything a console is, especially a new gen console......I know that pretty much every XBOX has tapered off acutely towards the end of their lifecycle relative to exclusives and support, but surely you can see a huge issue with that happening at launch/ the beginning and several years post launch? That means real exclusive XBOX support will only sandwich itself between 2023 and 2025 as opposed to 2020-2025, which is when they usually taper off....By mid-late 2025 MS will be campaigning hard for the XBOX Series Platinum and leaving Series X in the dust whilst PS5 continues to get high scale AAA exclusives just as the PS4 is receiving in 2020 leading up to PS5....

TLDR; MS's problem all gen long was exclusives, it was not for being underpowered the first 4 years of this gen, which is clearly why XBONEX didn't fix anything or that perception of a problem to them......Their issue all gen was proper exclusives.....What do they do? They double down on less exclusives nextgen…….How would people not want to comment about this.....It's not just them, it's part of the industry in which they are a part and they seem to be going against every reason why people would ever want to buy a new console...…..And when they fail, people will come here blaming Sony fans, because we lap up anything Sony releases, but refuse to see why such a strategy for MS will be more problematic for them next gen.....

I think many XBOX fans tolerated and ribbed up many body punches and haymakers this gen, they stood in the ring boxing whilst Phil the coach told them to continue fighting, told them, they will see some sunshine and win the fight eventually, that's when they had already lost 11/12 rounds mind..... and were being haymakered like crazy in that last round....So they stayed fighting and Phil said "keep your hands up" whilst boosting them on the outside of the ring with that famous grin.....Now, here we are at the next fight, Phil says, come fight the same guy who won you 12/12 rounds, 7 years later, just this time you have no gloves, no mouth piece, no head gear......That's the situation MS and it's fans are in next gen with Coach Phil...

FacelessSamurai

What are you talking about? I didn't make anything up, I was responding to a post. I don't care if people don't buy physical on PC, its how I buy my games and its the MAIN reason I game on console over PC.

Get out of here with your defense force shit.
Defence force shit? You game on console because you can buy physical? I’ve never heard so much bullshit, I just can’t help but laugh at this type of mentality. You are willing to play a lesser version just so you can have a disc case collect dust on a shelf?

FacelessSamurai

So Halo, a 2D multi-platform metroidvania and games no one cares about. We're happy with this now?
Wow, you really showed me! Games no one cares about, really? You’ve got such strong arguments sir. Can I get whatever it is your mom feeds you, seems to be doing wonders to your intelligence!

FacelessSamurai

And they wonder why they don't get responses and go reporting to the mods that you dont respond to them like past GAF member Redneckerz.....

-----------------
The truth is, I keep hearing people say "this is an xbox thread"......This is more a "here's what Phil said, here's his strategy for next gen" as opposed to a pure XBOX game OT.....

Phil is saying, that he wont have exclusives, which is pretty much against the grain of everything a console is, especially a new gen console......I know that pretty much every XBOX has tapered off acutely towards the end of their lifecycle relative to exclusives and support, but surely you can see a huge issue with that happening at launch/ the beginning and several years post launch? That means real exclusive XBOX support will only sandwich itself between 2023 and 2025 as opposed to 2020-2025, which is when they usually taper off....By mid-late 2025 MS will be campaigning hard for the XBOX Series Platinum and leaving Series X in the dust whilst PS5 continues to get high scale AAA exclusives just as the PS4 is receiving in 2020 leading up to PS5....

TLDR; MS's problem all gen long was exclusives, it was not for being underpowered the first 4 years of this gen, which is clearly why XBONEX didn't fix anything or that perception of a problem to them......Their issue all gen was proper exclusives.....What do they do? They double down on less exclusives nextgen…….How would people not want to comment about this.....It's not just them, it's part of the industry in which they are a part and they seem to be going against every reason why people would ever want to buy a new console...…..And when they fail, people will come here blaming Sony fans, because we lap up anything Sony releases, but refuse to see why such a strategy for MS will be more problematic for them next gen.....

I think many XBOX fans tolerated and ribbed up many body punches and haymakers this gen, they stood in the ring boxing whilst Phil the coach told them to continue fighting, told them, they will see some sunshine and win the fight eventually, that's when they had already lost 11/12 rounds mind..... and were being haymakered like crazy in that last round....So they stayed fighting and Phil said "keep your hands up" whilst boosting them on the outside of the ring with that famous grin.....Now, here we are at the next fight, Phil says, come fight the same guy who won you 12/12 rounds, 7 years later, just this time you have no gloves, no mouth piece, no head gear......That's the situation MS and it's fans are in next gen with Coach Phil...
How does that even make any sense? They have close to 15 studios working on games, exclusive games! Don’t care what your definition of exclusives is (like lol PC so not exclusive). Fact is those games are coming exclusively to the MS ecosystem and will showcase the 12TFlop beast known as Xbox Series X while you are stuck on a 9.2Tflops console playing Godfall (hope Sony didn’t pay for the exclusive rights to this shit) and try your best to counter upcoming DF face offs with next gen games. Can’t wait to see the meltdowns honestly.

Defence force shit? You game on console because you can buy physical? I’ve never heard so much bullshit, I just can’t help but laugh at this type of mentality. You are willing to play a lesser version just so you can have a disc case collect dust on a shelf?
Yea defense force, somehow in your twisted mind my comment about physical discs turned into an anti-Microsoft comment. Stop being so sensitive and get a grip. My games don't collect dust, I actually play them, played through Mischief Makers on my N64 last week. Its my money and I buy games however the fuck I want. Go get your panties in a bunch somewhere else.

thelastword

Banned
How does that even make any sense? They have close to 15 studios working on games, exclusive games! Don’t care what your definition of exclusives is (like lol PC so not exclusive). Fact is those games are coming exclusively to the MS ecosystem and will showcase the 12TFlop beast known as Xbox Series X while you are stuck on a 9.2Tflops console playing Godfall (hope Sony didn’t pay for the exclusive rights to this shit) and try your best to counter upcoming DF face offs with next gen games. Can’t wait to see the meltdowns honestly.
No, most probably I'll be stuck on a 24TF RDNA 2 GPU with a Ryzen 3 processor to play all XBOX games if they interest me......Then I'll be playing the best looking games, even better than what the multiplats on my PC shows, since they will be exclusives on PS5 from the best devs in the industry.....

FacelessSamurai

No, most probably I'll be stuck on a 24TF RDNA 2 GPU with a Ryzen 3 processor to play all XBOX games if they interest me......Then I'll be playing the best looking games, even better than what the multiplats on my PC shows, since they will be exclusives on PS5 from the best devs in the industry.....
So you are one of those people who thinks PS4 games look better than current high end PC games. And you even believe you are getting a 24Tflops GPU, from AMD no less. You are even crazier than I thought! Guess we need people who can’t wait to play SJW 1st party games from Naughty Dogs, or else who is there left to get excited!

So MS BC is known and works very well, enhances games and all that but now according to you it's not real BC.
I appreciate the benefits it brings to the table, it is really nice, but it is limited because it is not really backward compatibility, it's not even emulation (emulation would be a viable form of BC, if done properly).

Let's look at some definitions so we all talk sensible language before we argue further:
Backward compatibility is a property of a system, product, or technology that allows for interoperability with an older legacy system, or with input designed for such a system, especially in telecommunications and computing. Backward compatibility is sometimes also called downward compatibility.[1]

Modifying a system in a way that does not allow backward compatibility is sometimes called "breaking" backward compatibility.[2]

A complementary concept is forward compatibility. A design that is forward-compatible usually has a roadmap for compatibility with future standards and products.[3]
Now as far as I know there is no reasonable definition of "interoperable" that requires you to download a new binary for each piece of software you want to use from the older system(s), and you can't use most software from the older systems as well. The series x and xb1 are truly compatible with one another, the series x should be able to play your existing library without any strings attached.

The Gameboy Advance is backward compatible previous Gameboy systems
The PS2 is backward compatible with the PS1
The Wii is backward compatible the Gamecube
The PS3 was backward compatible with the PS2 & PS1
The Wii U is backward compatible with the Wii and Gamecube

These systems just run any of the games from their predecessors, this is BC - having to download new binaries made for the new platform in order to run games from previous system(s) is not BC, not only that but it only covers a subset of games made for the old systems.

Don't say that the limitations aren't important, my nephew had a 360, at first he figured he would get an xb1 because he wanted to keep playing his games... his father got one, and then he found out most of his games didn't work, so he just returned it - I suspect he is not alone (I know all the benefits, but we are not discussing so say the same thing to one another).

Top Bottom