• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spencer: We Have Just Signed Exclusives That Won’t Be Ready for 2-3 Years, No Point i

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOR5

Source is WCCFTech
http://wccftech.com/spencer-signed-exclusives-2-3years/

When I started this job three years ago, hardware was a real focus for us because I thought we had more work to do there. Xbox One S shipped last year, the X is shipping this year, I love our hardware line. Xbox Live was something I wanted to focus, coming on Android, iOS, Windows PC because I really want people to play games on the place they want to go play.
Our first party is a critical part of that equation. Yesterday, I know people want to see what we’re investing in new.
We are investing in new things, we signed things just recently that I thought, ‘Hey, from a PR standpoint it would be really easy for me to put a trailer on screen’, but then I know the game is not coming for another two and half or three years, so I didn’t want to do that.
I understand some people would say, ‘Hey, that would give me confidence in the future of Xbox’…
This is a cheesy line, but I’ll just say, trust that this is important to us as a platform. From the top CEO of the company down, if you talked to Satya [Nadella, Microsoft’s CEO] he would say ‘I understand, we need to invest in content in the gaming space’.
That is important and we are going to invest. We have Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2, Lucky’s Tale, Ori and the Will of the Wisps…But I know what you’re asking about. Big, triple A console games, I hear that and I’m committed to that. Today I wanted to talk about things that if you’re going to buy the console you will be able to play, but I’ll continue to work to deliver games. We did on hardware, we did on platform and [backward] compatibility and we will do this on first-party as well. It is critically important.

I agree and disagree with Spencer here, sometimes you can make appeal to consumers to make a blind leap of faith ala Phantom Dust/Scalebound and it can end miserably. So you can see how those situations should be avoided and its best to focus on the near future, however if theres one thing that bolsters trust in a brand its showing long-term software support. So whats more important, excitement or accuracy?

EDIT: Thread title hilariously cut off

iMax

It's fantastic that he's saying that but with the current number of first-party studios (and their ongoing respective IP), I don't really see how that's feasible aside from second-party investment?

The first-party studio lineup needs to be scaled up first and I'm not sure that's something that's necessarily happening yet.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
wonder if the rumored leak about exclusive capcom projects and exclusive obsidian (different one) project are what he is referencing.
Just a guess, but wouldn't Obsidian be hesitant to work with MS again after the last time it almost killed the studio?

--

I am hopeful this trend of only announcing games closer to their release date continues. It should give a more accurate picture of the game as it will end up at release and should be further along in the production that the likelihood of it coming out are high.

daman824

While spencer says this stuff every year, I am incredibly glad he at least finally admitted that they specifically need more big AAA first party games instead of regurgitating some "20 exclusives" pr talk.

Now if only they weren't sending games like crackdown out to die squished between established behemoths

Show us or shut up Phil. He's so full of shit.

You're one of those that like game announcements that won't be ready for another 2-4yrs huh? Probably enjoy announcements for announcements too. lol

I'd personally rather the companies just hold the announcements until we're(at the most)half a year from release. See Bethesda with some of their biggest games.

gamz

Sounds great.

I complained about not seeing a road map, but I trust Phil. He's straight and doing a incredible job.

Jumeira

Banned
Op, this has already been discussed in Parick K thread.

Show us or shut up Phil. He's so full of shit.

Yet he's delivered on his main goals, hardware & services, software is next. Also, he was asked a question, and thats a reassuring answer for people who genuinely want to see MS do well with 1st party.

*Yawn* A bit late isn't it?

Never late to fund new games, pretty strange attitude. Do something and reach a point in the future with games or dont do anything because its 'too late', seems like an unpragmatic & visionless thing to say.

mikey1123

I don't believe it for one second. Look at the quality of Crackdown 3. That game doesn't look like it was heavily invested in. State of Decay 2 look like it has the same animations from the first game.

Mathieran

Banned
I normally think Phil is full of shit but I'll believe him here. But ultimately it was a dumb move to wait this long. No one will give a shit about your hardware if there isn't any compelling games that are exclusive to it, especially when the competition has lots of it.

Blobbers

Next Gen year 1 is gonna be insane

2-3 exclusives for Xbox 2
Death Stranding and FF VII Remake Prologue on PS4
Beyond Good & Evil 2 multiplatform +the usual CoD's and Assassin's Creeds

KORNdoggy

So he's signed a bunch of games coming in 2-3 years? Its no wonder they didn't announce them, next gen will have started by then.

Does that mean we have nothing but gears 5 and halo 6 and forza horizon to look forward for the remainder of the generation?

bluexy

Obviously we're all going to have to wait to see if Phil's words manifest, but nevertheless these are still the words I want him to be saying right now. 2017 should, frankly, be the Xbox's worst year for forseeable future. If they drop the ball, that's Phil's responsibility. Every year on from now has to be better than the last.

That said, they should have been better prepared for the Xbox One X's launch. Obviously they tried -- at least both Anthem and Sea of Thieves were said to be late 2017 games and have been delayed -- but considering how much work has gone into getting the X perfect the software should have been there too.

I want the best for Xbox. It's tough seeing the Xbox One X as a saving grace while also recognizing that its launch year is going to be such a pitfall.

Tarrin

Wait, signed? So exclusives from third-party's?

What about the first party stuff?

Apologies if I misread, I'm ill right now.

aBarreras

So he's signed a bunch of games coming in 2-3 years? Its no wonder they didn't announce them, next gen will have started by then.

Does that mean we have nothing but gears 5 and halo 6 and forza horizon to look forward for the remainder of the generation?

you say it as if a new generation would affect if the games comes on xbox one or not

Boke1879

show me dont tell me yadda yadda yadda

I mean Days Gone, Spider-man, GOW, Detroit, GT Sport, Uncharted LL etc.

By the way. The issue with this is why is Phil even saying this? People are already skeptical of their first party output. So you're pretty much telling people to wait longer in order to see what's in the pipeline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom