• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider Man 2 Teaser Made Me Purchased The Ultimate Edition

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Hello GAF,

I couldn't hold my self after watching that Spider Man 2 teaser and I fucking love Venom. So, I just purchased the ultimate edition of Spider Man remastered and miles morales on PS5.

Never touched or finished the two games and I'm about to dive in . My only question is about side quests .. do I have to play them to progress the story?

Thank you in advance

It's one of the most frictionless games ever. There's not many major barriers to anything.

I can't honestly recall the requirements, but it will tell you. If you don't have a main story mission on your map, you know the drill.

CheeseCake

Side quests are more of a way to get to know the city and some side characters, they're optional. But the game will incentivize you here and there to complete a few. Some of them I didn't really care whislt for some others I did because the combat was sick as fuck.

Btw, I hated spider man before playing this game. I thought the character was a joke and the humour was cringy so I was already ready to return it lol... but I decided to give it a go.

So, after I finished playing this game.... it pretty much became one if not the best superhero game I have ever played.
Spider-Man Marvel GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
For the sake of the story, it's worth doing the Harry's research side quests, other than the rest are mostly filler iirc. But it's always a fun time swinging about as spiderman so it didnt really feel like busywork or anything, to me at least.

Noted

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Side quests are more of a way to get to know the city and some side characters, they're optional. But the game will incentivize you here and there to complete a few. Some of them I didn't really care whislt for some others I did because the combat was sick as fuck.

Btw, I hated spider man before playing this game. I thought the character was a joke and the humour was cringy so I was already ready to return it lol... but I decided to give it a go.

So, after I finished playing this game.... it pretty much became one if not the best superhero game I have ever played.
Spider-Man Marvel GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

Well now I'm more excited

Yeah, side quests aren't really essential although you do unlock some good stuff in the game.
For me I would do them if I just didn't really feel like playing for a while but just wanted to mess around fora little bit. You can just swing around the city, picking fights with people and picking up collectables without getting involved in a mission that you could be stuck in for an hour.
It was just a fun to have a quick go and by the time I'd finished I'd done most of them so I wanted to collect the rest of them.
You're probably going to anyway but play the original game first because although Miles Morales isn't a full sequel the story line does start in the first game.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I ended up spending more time web slinging around than anything else. I'd like to have the remastered edition to play through it again.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
There are times in the game when the action pauses and Peter or Miles will say something like "Well I may as well go on patrol while Fuckface McGee does their thing / until they call me". At that point it becomes obvious to do whatever side quests are available to get the story moving along again.

The "over map" missions, as I like to call them, which pop up all over the place once they're individually unlocked are all optional but they help you earn experience and can unlock some suits and stuff that make the game a little easier in places.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
There are times in the game when the action pauses and Peter or Miles will say something like "Well I may as well go on patrol while Fuckface McGee does their thing / until they call me". At that point it becomes obvious to do whatever side quests are available to get the story moving along again.

The "over map" missions, as I like to call them, which pop up all over the place once they're individually unlocked are all optional but they help you earn experience and can unlock some suits and stuff that make the game a little easier in places.
Yeah I noticed that but when you just ignore it for a second the main mission will pop up right away .. I just tried it and I'm really enjoying the swinging and the world with that 60fps RT, it's so good.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Ok I'm now 20% on campaign progress and I'm in love with almost everything, it reminds a little bit of Batman games when it comes to combat.

With Performance RT I'm loving it and Insomniac is doing so great with all of these choices.

iHaunter

As much as I love Insomniac's Spider-Man, I can't help but agree. They are largely fetch quests and repetitive nonsense with a good dose of virtue signaling thrown in. Only reason I even bothered was for the platinum trophy.

Thankfully the main story and combat make up for the game's shortcomings.
There's only so much you can do. Otherwise the game will take 7-8 years to make.

Hugare

Ok I'm now 20% on campaign progress and I'm in love with almost everything, it reminds a little bit of Batman games when it comes to combat.

With Performance RT I'm loving it and Insomniac is doing so great with all of these choices.
The combat is straight up Arkham

I enjoyed Miles Morales way more. So if you are alaready enjoying the first game, you're in for a treat.

Better combat, graphics, even story and sidequests

The first game has some emotional story beats that were memorable, but also had some mediocres ones (MJ stuff and etc.)

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Should I play any DLCs? I mean is it connected to the story and miles morals? I see like three DLCs!

BTW I'm so enjoying the game and the story so far and almost finished it. I think i'm at the end where I go after otto

Sablinova is ... yeah nvm lol

Hunnybun

I really loved the boss fights in the game, and there's at least a couple more of those in the side missions that I really appreciated. They're hardly essential for the story though.

The DLCs aren't particularly good, although something fairly significant happens to a major character so... I don't THINK that's referenced in Miles Morales but I could be wrong.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm replaying the remaster on PS5 and my mind is kinda blown at how much filler there actually is.

There's a TON of collecting stuff, radiotowers, photography, all ties in to unlocks.

And those research points, oooff.... Terrible.

Hunnybun

I'm replaying the remaster on PS5 and my mind is kinda blown at how much filler there actually is.

There's a TON of collecting stuff, radiotowers, photography, all ties in to unlocks.

And those research points, oooff.... Terrible.

Yeah I hated the research stations. I don't think there was a single one I enjoyed.

nowhat

Should I play any DLCs? I mean is it connected to the story and miles morals? I see like three DLCs!
If you want? They're not really connected to anything, other than themselves. It's basically one larger side story (and would have made more sense if it would have been a single DLC IMHO) - you'll get about two hours of story / "episode" + open world fluff (the latter is of course completely optional, but it's there if you want to grind it out).

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Just finished Spider Man Remastered and it's really a fun game. The story was good and touching at some points. It took me 9 hours to finish without side quests.

Now it's time for Miles Morales

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Miles Morales was a giant step back in my opinion. Miles Morales is supposed to be 17, but he sounds like he's 12. And the animations are straight-up cringy. He's flailing his legs and arms about like he's always falling, even though he's been training at this long enough that he should know how to not look like a freaking moron. Since most of the game is you swinging around, that really made me hate the game. That's not even throwing in the BLM graffiti, or the ridiculousness of his abilities. Just call him Superman and be done with it already.

GymWolf

Sidequest no, but you want to do a lot of crimes, collectibles, enemy coves and shit to unlock costumes, upgrade gadgets etc.

BaneIsPain

enjoy it. I love the base game and I’m rethinking to buy the ultimate edition as well.
your true enemy is

j5mGqAI.jpg

I played the OG spiderman when it came on PS4 and was good but nothing that would ever make me replay and for some reason when I got my PS5 I decided fuck it, I'll get it again and I bought the ultimate as well with miles morales and I even platinumed the original. I guess I love it? Miles Morales has an amazing start but falters a lot afterwards while Spider-man gets better late game especially after the prison riot.

Hello GAF,

I couldn't hold my self after watching that Spider Man 2 teaser and I fucking love Venom. So, I just purchased the ultimate edition of Spider Man remastered and miles morales on PS5.

Never touched or finished the two games and I'm about to dive in . My only question is about side quests .. do I have to play them to progress the story?

Thank you in advance

You dont need to do the sidequests to advance the story. But you are going to want to do them so you can upgrade your gadgets and suit powers etc.

Also I suggest you play Peter's story first then Miles because his venom powers are OP and he hardly has to use his gadgets and you will have a hard time switching back to Peter who has to use gadgets.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
You dont need to do the sidequests to advance the story. But you are going to want to do them so you can upgrade your gadgets and suit powers etc.

Also I suggest you play Peter's story first then Miles because his venom powers are OP and he hardly has to use his gadgets and you will have a hard time switching back to Peter who has to use gadgets.

Yeah Miles is so cool. I just started the game, loved the beginning I hope the story goes better.

Cryio

Y'all here are playing Spider-Man on the PS5 and I'm playing Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro on the PS1 to fill the gaps in my 3D Spider-Man games.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
my advice to you.

Complete all side quest cause you can unlock additional costumes : D

And you can get more parts to upgrade your gadjets and such, further more side quest rewards additional EXP as well.

Last edited:

skit_data

Playing Miles Morales atm, but I platinumed the original 2018 game a few years ago. Really solid game, and the sidequests never felt samey/dull. I remember getting real good at swinging, some of the sidequest requires you to swing through the city at a breakneck speed to get the best medal possible.
It helps a lot now when playing Miles Morales, I noticed I still have it in me when chasing the Tinkerer and the pidgeons

RoadHazard

Gold Member
While I would agree most of the side missions aren't all that interesting (there are a few great ones though), I was never bored doing any of it (I 100% completed the original game twice), simply because just being Spider-Man and swinging about is so much fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom