• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Edge of Time announced

butsomuch

http://www.herohq.com/en/news_comments/sm_eot_announced/
MARVEL™ AND ACTIVISION® ANNOUNCE SPIDER-MAN™: EDGE OF TIME
High-Octane, Adrenaline-Fueled Adventure Tasks Players with Saving Spider-Man this Fall

Santa Monica, CA – March 31, 2011 –Activision Publishing, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) and Marvel Entertainment (NYSE: MVL) today announced Spider-Man: Edge of Time, where Spider-Man faces one of his greatest challenges ever – saving Spider-Man. Developed by Activision-owned studio Beenox, Spider-Man: Edge of Time challenges the player to take on the roles of both classic Amazing Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2099 to correct a timestream gone awry and prevent a catastrophic future brought on by the early and untimely death of Peter Parker.

“The first Spider-Man entry by Beenox, Spider-Man™: Shattered Dimension was touted as one of the best Spider-Man games to date from both critics and fans,” said Vicharin Vadakan, Director, Global Brand Management. “Beenox is once again taking a fresh and different approach to bring a high-octane adventure and unexpected story to life in Spider-Man: Edge of Time.”

“At Beenox, we are constantly listening to the fans and looking for new and creative ways to innovate the gameplay experience for them,” said Dee Brown, Studio Head, Beenox. “We want to create a totally distinct experience in Spider-Man: Edge of Time by working with Peter David on the story and creating this urgent, high-stakes experience where time is working against you and the fate of Spider-Man hangs in the balance.”

Spider-Man: Edge of Time is a focused, action-packed adventure set in two connected and evolving timelines, from the contemporary times of the Amazing Spider-Man to the corrupted future world of Spider-Man 2099, against the backdrop of a rich, tightly crafted narrative by acclaimed Marvel veteran Peter David (co-creator of the comic book series Spider-Man 2099). The game features all-new “cause-and-effect” gameplay, where players will see how the immediate and sometimes unexpected effects of their actions as one Spider-Man changes the timeline of the other Spider-Man. Spider-Man: Edge of Time is slated for release this fall.

Attendees at WonderCon 2011 in San Francisco, CA, can get a sneak peek and learn more about the game on the Activision/Spider-Man panel on Saturday, April 2, at 4:30 p.m. in Room 103.

For more information on Spider-Man: Edge of Time tune in to the HeroHQ community on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/heroHQ.

where Spider-Man faces one of his greatest challenges ever – saving Spider-Man.

Qxr5H.jpg

Chemo

Holy shit, when they started talking about the new Spider-Man game a few months ago I offhandedly mentioned how bad I wanted it to be a Spider-Man 2099 game. I am pretty pleasantly surprised.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
DonMigs85 said:
Could this become Spidey's Arkham Asylum?

People said the same about Shattered Dimensions. I highly doubt it. One of the reasons might be the early announcment, but we will see.

NTom64

Fuck yeah!

Loved Shattered Dimensions, but the story was a bit lacking. Glad to hear they're focusing on it a bit more this time around.

LongDongJunon said:
41VDq7%2Bn0lL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If this happens again Imma slit my wrists...

But I have faith that Beenox will save my life.

This game was really fucking awesome, SO MANY different costumes each with special abilities, and you can even customize your own costume if you wanted by mixing-and-matcjing your abilities!!!
I would be so over this of they would release it on PSN, so goood indeed :D

“The first Spider-Man entry by Beenox, Spider-Man™: Shattered Dimension was touted as one of the best Spider-Man games to date from both critics and fans,” said Vicharin Vadakan, Director, Global Brand Management.

Why must you LIE?

For the love of Christ, quit making garbage after garbage and just do Spiderman 2 again. I'm pretty sure it was the best-selling game anyway, and until you try it again you won't know if it was because of the movie.

Splatt

SD was meh. No freedom for web-swinging and linear progression filled with too much punching of enemies. That's not what Spider-Man is about.

Not excited about EoT.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Seraphis Cain said:
This isn't the Noir Spider-Man game I wanted. =/

Still, sounds interesting.

Maybe we just can't see him.

I'm looking forward to it though, Amazing and 2099 are my two favourites and I enjoyed every bit of Shattered Dimensions. As long as they keep the humour and the feel of playing out a comic story, which I don't doubt with Peter David, I don't doubt it here. Though I know some people didn't like the linear play out a Spider-Man story from point A to point B, but I still have the first two 3D games and the second movie game if I just want to swing around a sandbox. This stuff is great for me when I just want to go through a Spider-Man story.

I just hope there is more to the cause and effect then just story purposes. I actually would like to see actual changes and game play be a bit different in one play through vs another due to choices. If it's the exact same every play through, well that limits replay value.

All that said, I rather have a Mayday Spider-Girl game.

2099 is an awesome choice. I wish I could find trades for the whole series. I bought the only one I have seen at least.

The 2099 levels in the last game just needed more variety. The gameplay was pretty spot on and fun. Did you even go downtown or whatever they call it? I can't remember.

I hope they figure out how to make spidey NOT spazz out when he's wall climbing. That was by far the worst part of the last game. They need to go play the Spider-man PS1 games to see how it's done.

SykoTech

Gooster said:
Bring back NPH please.

Actually, I wouldn't mind Josh Keaton either.

They already confirmed Josh Keaton's return, but since there's another Spidey, NPH could still lend his voice.

I'm not too keen witht hem doing the multiple Spidey's angle again, but here's hoping the approach is different enough from Shattered Dimensions...still need to get that.

farnham

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:
Hands down, this was the best Spidey game ever.

vBWum.jpg
yeah this is the first time spiderman was actually in a good game (not counting capcoms efforts of course those games rocked!)

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I really enjoyed Shattered Dimensions, not a big fan of the sandbox Spiderman games. Maybe MMOs have made me jaded but I don't like the idea of a giant open empty world just to swing around in and take on repetitive GTA-like quests. Deliver the pizza and stop that burglar! Ugh.

Here's hoping for no game breaking glitches this time around!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Blimblim said:
http://images.gamersyde.com/image_spider_man_edge_of_time-15218-2259_0001.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm not a big fan of this futuristic Spidey 2099 shit.

Spiderman on the PS1 with the webswing mechanics of the Spiderman 2 movie game would be the best thing ever. Shame it will never happen.

grkazan12

Oh god the cover is trying to cash in on the "Blue and Orange" theme, add another to the master list boys. In the year 2011 I'm skeptical about any superhero game that isn't called Batman.

Shanlei91

farnham said:
yeah this is the first time spiderman was actually in a good game (not counting capcoms efforts of course those games rocked!)
Whoah whoah whoah. Spiderman, not too unlike Sonic The Hedgehog, was all kinds of awesome until the last few years. Lets not forget:
zj8hhi.jpg

rmnw46.png

29moktg.png

np298k.jpg

"Surf the web, surf the web!"

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
IPoopStandingUp said:
Whoah whoah whoah. Spiderman, not too unlike Sonic The Hedgehog, was all kinds of awesome until the last few years. Lets not forget:

All fun games those (but you forgot the Super Famicom game), but even the last few years haven't been bad. We got two quite good Metroidvania DS games for Spider-Man that should not be ignored or forgotten.

I forgot how awesome the Seperation Anxiety boxart was. Who was the artist?

SD was one of my favorites last year so I'm hyped. It was sandwiched nicely between Arkham Asylum and Wolverine as One of the best hero games this gen.

After this I hope Beenox takes on Daredevil.

Shanlei91

Colocho said:
Did no one play this game at all? It's right up there with the best of Spidey.
That was pretty good too. Actually, I'm starting to think maybe because Spider-man has a game out every year that there's just a higher chance of garbage coming out. (Spiderman 3 the movie, Friend or Foe...etc.) And it's easy to forget about the good ones.
KenOD said:
All fun games those (but you forgot the Super Famicom game), but even the last few years haven't been bad. We got two quite good Metroidvania DS games for Spider-Man that should not be ignored or forgotten.
I actually really enjoyed some of the DS games but I figured it was a secret guilty pleasure (like Lost Planet 2) because so many reviewers trash them.
DoctorWho said:
Which game is this?
Spider-man the Arcade Game. 4 player co-op and some stages would zoom out to provide a Contra/LittleBigPlanet style of play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj3g3K5MHTc

Grisby

Edge of Time? Sound like an adventure game title to me.

Also, yeah, Spider man 2 was the best gasme with Maximum Carnage being in second.

Top Bottom