• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Spider-Man: Far From Home' Video Reveals Jake Gyllenhaal as Mysterio

Finally, after months of filming on top of rumors that Mysterio would be the villain of Spider-Man: Far From Home, fans finally have their first look at Jake Gyllenhaal in what could be the film's big climax.

Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures are collaborating once again for Spider-Man's next foray into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, bringing the classic fishbowled villain onto the big screen for the first time. And now we have our first major look at the villain, as he appears in this brand new set video. Take a look:

As we can see, it appears that Spider-Man has bested his foe (which we should all assume) when some law enforcement agents show up for backup. It looks like their fight has caused a ton of destruction, as evidenced by the flaming debris that surrounds the theater of chaos.

So far, we can't officially confirm that this character is indeed Mysterio, as Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures has yet to confirm it. But based on his costume, which appears to be a more tech-enhanced version of Thor's original outfit, it looks that Mysterio is a safe bet. The supervillain's look appears to be a cross between the mainstream Marvel Universe, with the purple cape, and the Ultimate Universe version where the outfit is more based in technology.

This is our best look at Gyllenhaal on the set of the film yet, as his participation has only been confirmed by trades and other outlets. As far as Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures are concerned, they've never confirmed Gyllenhaal's involvement.

But at this point, it's safe to say that Spider-Man will be facing yet another of his most important villains in his long-running comic book history, and much like the Vulture it is someone who has yet to appear on the big screen. That just shows how vast Spider-Man's rogues gallery actually is.

It looks like Spider-Man's trip to Europe will not be a vacation, as he'll have to take his crimefighting skills to the international stage. Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige spoke about the film's title and how it plays into the movie.

"Well, I mean, sure, let the speculation begin. That's always fun," Feige said. "We like [the title] of course because it ties into Homecoming, not just keeping that word going, which we like and we liked it more than Homecoming 2, but that notion of 'home' is a word that has dual meanings we'd like to continue with this [Marvel Cinematic Universe] version of Spider-Man. So, Far From Home has multiple meanings."

Fans can see Spider-Man: Far From Home when it premieres on July 5, 2019.

Xiaoki

Marvel loves to pull this shit.
Yeah, Marvel sure does love pulling the old "meet with an actor in a ploy to prevent your lead from thinking he's irreplaceable and demanding more money for a sequel then casting them in the same type of movie 15 years later".

Last edited:
Mysterio is fine but there some reason they can't use Doc Ock again?

Because if they can't it's gonna be sad once they get to lower and lower tier villains, Spider Man doesn't have the brest rogue's gallery beyond a few standouts.

Nymphae

Banned
Mysterio will be cool if they add him in the next game, but I hope he doesn't come with those forced segments in games where your character is drugged and has to play through a nightmare or something. I'm tired of that trope.

Aintitcool

Banned
Yeah, Marvel sure does love pulling the old "meet with an actor in a ploy to prevent your lead from thinking he's irreplaceable and demanding more money for a sequel then casting them in the same type of movie 15 years later".
I was talking about how they like to call on actors who used to be in line for Marvel movies before Marvel Studios existed. And give them the villain role.

Last edited:

womfalcs3

Banned
I love me some Mysterio. I hadn't heard his name, but after searching, I do remember him from when I was a kid. I would like to see his backstory.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
I love me some Mysterio. I hadn't heard his name, but after searching, I do remember him from when I was a kid. I would like to see his backstory.
his story was explained in the comics and in the cartoon show. He also would have been a lot bigger threat in marvel if he went after other heroes. With his illusions he even tricked wolverine and made him kill the x-men.

What makes Mysterio dangerous is, you think you might be fighting him, but you end up killing one of your own team mates, or a innocent person.

Last edited:

womfalcs3

Banned
his story was explained in the comics and in the cartoon show. He also would have been a lot bigger threat in marvel if he went after other heroes. With his illusions he even tricked wolverine and made him kill the x-men.

What makes Mysterio dangerous is, you think you might be fighting him, but you end up killing one of your own team mates, or a innocent person.
Yeah. I got a Scarecrow vibe from reading a little about him. Scarecrow is one of my favorite villains.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
Not really Scarecrow uses like a fear gas to make people go crazy. Mysterio also some times uses robots that fight with him, just to confuse people even more.

Doom85

Mysterio is fine but there some reason they can't use Doc Ock again?

Because if they can't it's gonna be sad once they get to lower and lower tier villains,

Yeah, I'm somewhat in agreement. I like plenty of Spidey's villains, but the MCU version should feel like the definitive version over all but it seems they're scared to reuse a lot of the covered characters which is silly because we're talking about characters that have been in decades of comics, these characters have far more potential beyond just already been done in the 5 pre-MCU films (I mean, imagine if Nolan never included Joker because "well, one movie already had him and CLEARLY that's all the story one could ever get out of that character!"). A Spidey continuity lacking both Norman Osborn and Doc Ock feels lacking no matter how good it gets, and no Harry, Gwen, JJJ, etc. just adds to that feeling. Doesn't help I'm playing the PS4 game right now and it's so nice to have an established Spidey eight years into his career with established history with some of the villains while others have yet to emerge. Of all the things I didn't want the MCU Spidey to rehash from the previous 5 films, it was him being in high school again, and lo and behold now we're apparently going to have at least two films with him in high school (since FFH is supposed to be him on a class trip in Europe). Like, let's move on already, I want adult Peter already, but the farthest we've gotten so far is him in college.

Honestly, I feel they should have just gone with Miles if they were so scared of re-using so many characters and keeping the character in high school. Right now, I'm still looking forward to Spider-man FFH, but I'm far more excited for Into the Spider-verse. Miles, adult Peter, Spider-Gwen, YES, let's go!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
As much as I love Mysterio, I have a hard time imagining him realized in a film given how all of his attacks are more illusionary. I thought it translated well in cartoon, so hopefully the movie magic of CGI will make it not seem really bad.

Was always my favorite Spiderman villain.

hecatomb

Banned
As much as I love Mysterio, I have a hard time imagining him realized in a film given how all of his attacks are more illusionary. I thought it translated well in cartoon, so hopefully the movie magic of CGI will make it not seem really bad.

Was always my favorite Spiderman villain.
who knows, Mysterio could also go with the comic story of him dressing up like Spiderman and framing him for crimes he didn't do, he even made Parkers web shooters. I think in the movie though, they might add Mysterios robots also.

Top Bottom