• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming review thread [92% RT]

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I even mentally prepared for super hero fatigue or a drop in quality or something after Avengers that would result in this whole thing not continuing and yet here we are

same - and The Winter Soldier & GotG kicked it up a notch and blew me away

and then age of ultron made me nervous and CW & vol 2 AGAIN gave confidence in the quality and future of the mcu

IIRC, Kevin Feige said after Ant-Man came out that Wasp plays a big part in Infinity War.

Captain Marvel is being introduced in Infinity War ala Black Panther in Civil War, no? Or was that Avengers 4?

yeah im confused - is CM a big part of IW? Or is the wasp a big part of A4?

i hope both are true lol

Marvels output is truly an impressive feat to watch unfold.

Say what you want but they are putting out constant and consistent quality. Movies most people enjoy with absolutely no showing of franchise fatigue. People give them not enough credit and some are exaggerating with the criticism.

Other studios are still figuring out the right recipe for the cinematic universe concept. DC may be on the right path especially after WW but nobody comes close to what Marvel has accomplished.

Timu

Say what you want but they are putting out constant and consistent quality. Movies most people enjoy with absolutely no showing of franchise fatigue. People give them not enough credit and some are exaggerating with the criticism.

Other studios are still figuring out the right recipe for the cinematic universe concept. DC may be on the right path especially after WW but nobody comes close to what Marvel has accomplished.
Yep, this is exactly why I love Marvel, and I agree! Plus I've watched every Marvel that comes out as well.

I simply can't fathom this concept of "superhero fatigue." I've been reading Spider-Man and Avengers comics since I first started learning how to read, I'm never gonna get sick of these fucks.

phanphare

Banned
I used to have a rule with comic book movies because of their spotty track record. I'd only see them when they came out on VHS/DVD/Blu Ray. that way I could see which ones were still held in high regard. after Avengers I decided I'd see any MCU movie in theaters no questions asked. they earned my faith and haven't lost it yet.

I simply can't fathom this concept of "superhero fatigue." I've been reading Spider-Man and Avengers comics since I first started learning how to read, I'm never gonna get sick of these fucks.

I meant in the sense that these movies would become less viable for a large audience and might not continue at some point in time. I was basically bracing myself for when the MCU movies went out of style by saying that what I had already gotten was damn impressive and was something I couldn't have fathomed prior to everything.

but they keep making quality ass movies and people keep seeing them so I'll be on this ride until it ends

LosDaddie

Banned

I have a feeling there will be college level courses in the future about cinematic universe building, with Marvel being the standard.

What they have accomplished has never been done before.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'll never forget being in the theater for the Iron Man post-credits scene. It was me, my friend, and two guys in the front row. That was it.

I don't have Superhero fatigue, i have a teenage Spiderman fatigue, I have no interest in this movie, if Spiderman was old and already married to MJ, i would be on board the hype train in a heart beat, but another fucking kid Spidey, no thanks..

I don't get it either honestly. Action films have been around for decades with good people shooting bad guys. Replace guns with superpowers and badass suits with underwear and voila - superhero movies

As long as they continue to get creative in their presentation and hooks I won't get tired of them

Sephzilla

I'll never forget being in the theater for the Iron Man post-credits scene. It was me, my friend, and two guys in the front row. That was it.

Someone I knew who worked at the theater let me know there was a post-credits scene to Iron Man. My dad and I both marked out hard

I meant in the sense that these movies would become less viable for a large audience and might not continue at some point in time. I was basically bracing myself for when the MCU movies went out of style by saying that what I had already gotten was damn impressive and was something I couldn't have fathomed prior to everything.

but they keep making quality ass movies and people keep seeing them so I'll be on this ride until it ends

As long as the quality is there, there will be people coming out to see these things. I get where you're coming from though. We're comic fans and we've been through it - Marvel comics have certainly not been flawless over the many decades and there are low points across the brand at times (we're in one right now) and while hardcore comic fans may stick around when the quality drops, general movie audiences are decidedly more fickle.

If marvel does actually have a string of bad movies or even just one massive dud, it'll be interesting to see if it's enough to kill the ENTIRE MCU or if it just takes some time to earn audience's trust back.

El Topo

Captain Marvel is being introduced in Infinity War ala Black Panther in Civil War, no?

I really don't see how they'd have the time in Avengers 3 to spend twenty minutes on introducing Carol, let alone make her integral to the movie. I think Russos said (or hinted) that she'd show up in Infinity War though.

I prefer competent Spider-Man, but I'm happy for you guys.

I don't get the idea of being so hung-up on one particular interpretation of a character that you can't muster interest if they're not using your preferred version. Batman's my favorite, but part of the reason that Batman's my favorite is that there have been so many wonderfully different takes on the character. It's part of the fun of superheroes!

Firemind

I don't get the idea of being so hung-up on one particular interpretation of a character that you can't muster interest if they're not using your preferred version. Batman's my favorite, but part of the reason that Batman's my favorite is that there have been so many wonderfully different takes on the character. It's part of the fun of superheroes!
There's never been a competent Spider-Man on the movie screen though.

this Spider Man is competent, what?

you see him nerding out over Falcon's suit in Civil War?
It's not the intelligent, inventive, science prodigy Spider-Man from the comics.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I kinda wanna find one for the Avengers trailer with that one scene where they actually assemble, back to back.

Ayy man i Gotta rewatch the MCU. I can't even say what my favorite phase is.

i am planning a big mcu re watch thread in a few weeks

we'll watch 1 movie every 2 weeks til IW

Sephzilla

There's never been a competent Spider-Man on the movie screen though.

D9lyptg.gif

Tarrin

Nailed it. Best part about comics/CBM's is the different interpretations of the characters.

60's cartoon Spider-Man is the best though.

phanphare

Banned
It's not an intelligent, inventive, science prodigy Spider-Man.

ummm, yes it is? what are you basing this on? Stark, one of the other great minds in the MCU, was pretty impressed that he made his own web fluid. they already established Pete's intellect in Civil War. he idolizes Stark for that very reason!

not sure where you're coming from tbh

Coketruck

Me and a bunch of friends went to see it opening weekend. Our reactions (along with about half the people in the theater) went something like this:

*Sam Jackson steps out of the shadows* "Is... Is that Nick Fury?"

"Nick Fury, Director of S.H.I.E.L.D." "Holy shit, it is!"

"I'm here to talk to you about the Avengers Initiative." "... WHAT? WHOOOO!"

It was great.

Sephzilla

It's not the intelligent, inventive, science prodigy Spider-Man from the comics.

You're talking about the same Peter Parker who impressed Tony Stark with the tech Parker was able to produce in a cheap Queens bedroom, the same Tony Stark who openly shit on basically every other tech producing character in the MCU. He was also the guy who devised the plan to bring down Ant Man while Stark and everyone else were guffawing.

Firemind

What?

How exactly was he incompetent in Civil War?

How has he ever actually been incompetent?
This version of Spider-Man admires Tony and frankly doesn't know what to do without his guidance, which is apparently what this movie is about when he makes mistakes by acting heroic without thinking of the consequences. It's a bit like Ultimate Spider-Man, except there he actually grows as a character all by himself.

This version of Spider-Man admires Tony and frankly doesn't know what to do without his guidance, which is apparently what this movie is about when he makes mistakes by acting heroic without thinking of the consequences. It's a bit like Ultimate Spider-Man, except there he actually grows as a character all by himself.
All by himself*

*along with Nick Fury as his mentor/handler and him wanting to prove himself as an Ultimate

Wollan

Sony Pictures better stay the hell away from any ideas in ripping this out of the MCU again.
Sometimes you just have to let something good stay good. MCU is pretty unprecedented.

phanphare

Banned

well now you've just moved goal posts lol

acting heroic without thinking of the consequences has nothing to do with his intellect in regards to science and being a tech nerd and everything to do with him being a sophomore in high school

also Spider Man was already out there doing his thing before Stark came along. that was also established in Civil War.

so yeah, still have no idea where you're coming from

what I got from just the scene in Pete's bedroom in Civil War is that he is every bit the intelligent character we know from the comics, he just lacks the means in many instances because he's not well off. it's the most accurate depiction of Peter Parker yet and I am only basing that off of the brief time that he was in Civil War.

Sephzilla

If anything I get the impression that Stark's presence clouds Peter's judgement because Peter becomes too focused on proving himself, since Civil War established that he was already doing super hero stuff before getting pulled into the fold. And on the flipside nobody really seems to fully accept/trust Peter because of his youth even though Parker is a well of smart ideas

My best friend in high school and I got lucky. We were sitting in our seats just in awe that an Iron Man movie was awesome. We got up to leave right as Tony got home and said "Jarvis?..."

My friend didn't read the ultimate universe at all, but when I saw Samuel L. step into the light with the eyepatch I almost peed myself. Tears were shed.

Firemind

All by himself*

*along with Nick Fury as his mentor/handler and him wanting to prove himself as an Ultimate
I didn't say I liked Ultimate Spider-Man lol

well now you've just moved goal posts lol

acting heroic without thinking of the consequences has nothing to do with his intellect in regards to science and being a tech nerd and everything to do with him being a sophomore in high school

also Spider Man was already out there doing his thing before Stark came along. that was also established in Civil War.

so yeah, still have no idea where you're coming from
Intelligence isn't just based on how good one is at academics.

Tosyn_88

I'm so happy!!! My wife doesn't understand my level of excitement for having a proper Spiderman movie!!
A great spiderman movie and potentially a game too, wowee, time to be a Spiderman fan.

phanphare

Banned
Intelligence isn't just based on how good one is at academics.

you said "It's not an intelligent, inventive, science prodigy Spider-Man."

so you were framing intelligence in a specific way which is what I was addressing

the other angle that you're now adding into the equation can be easily explained by the fact that he's a kid in high school. the kind of intelligence that you're now talking about comes with experience.

Top Bottom