• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming review thread [92% RT]

a916

This is where they lost me with Ultron's design. Mark 1 was terrifying and awesome, a great take on the characters development. Ultron Prime was expressive and still growing which makes sense as to why he looks more man than machine.

Ultron's final form, which he upgrades to when he has given up on improving humanity and helping them survive, is when we should have gotten the classic gaping maw design. He had given up on his own sense of humanity at that point and that's when we should have gotten the cold, calculating Ultron we know and love.

Exactly. When they went with the Transformers style lips that morph and move like real lips... it lost me. It's not menacing and it looks really goofy, especially with the teeth.

phanphare

Banned
I gotta be honest I've got some problems with Avengers 2 but I really enjoyed Ultron. having him basically be a lobotomized Stark really worked for me.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I gotta be honest I've got some problems with Avengers 2 but I really enjoyed Ultron. having him basically be a lobotomized Stark really worked for me.
I loved how out of all Marvel Characters it was a robot who was talking all the time about god and religion

a916

Why was he Stark? He already had an AI, wasn't that what Tony and Bruce said when they looked into the gem and compared it to Jarvis? I mean the entire time was them trying to get Jarvis to interface... so Ultron should've been more like Jarvis, no?

Throw this gif in when Black Panther drops and Marvel does Batman better than DC did.

giphy.gif

No film has even come remotely close to touching The Dark Knight fam... pump your breaks.

TI82

Banned
So excited. My work gave me free passes,does anyone know if free movie passes work for new movies? I know these used to not work for first week or two just curious

So excited. My work gave me free passes,does anyone know if free movie passes work for new movies? I know these used to not work for first week or two just curious

Depends on the theater and type of pass

Usually for all of them, first week or two is off limits (especially for Disney films)

phanphare

Banned
Why was he Stark? He already had an AI, wasn't that what Tony and Bruce said when they looked into the gem and compared it to Jarvis? I mean the entire time was them trying to get Jarvis to interface... so Ultron should've been more like Jarvis, no?

nah, Vision was Jarvis

I don't have a logical answer for why Ultron was like Stark other than that maybe it wanted to be like an "ideal" version of Stark because that's who created him and he was ever evolving and had studied Stark's every move. Stark created him for a specific goal and Ultron thought it actually had the better version of how to implement that goal.

I don't know, I just liked that juxtaposition

He was well-written for the most part. The final form design just didn't do it for me. It should have been radically different from the previous Ultron.

J_Viper

Super heroes then.
I'm glad people enjoys it though. I just don't grasp why it so often comes up as the 'reference' movie in the MCU.

Well paced
Great performances
Top notch action
Solid writing
Appropriate humor

Pretty much everything you need in an action flick

AndersK

nah, Vision was Jarvis

I don't have a logical answer for why Ultron was like Stark other than that maybe it wanted to be like an "ideal" version of Stark because that's who created him and he was ever evolving and had studied Stark's every move. Stark created him for a specific goal and Ultron thought it actually had the better version of how to implement that goal.

I don't know, I just liked that juxtaposition

Ultron seemed to me like a walking contradiction. He talks lots of shit about the inevitability of children Supplanting their creators, just like he was destined to do. Which in turn means he is identifying as Tony's child. But humanity is weak to him, and his implicit acceptance of this weird father-son relationship makes him a giant hypocrite.

Yeah, Ultron was characterized well, but ended up too silly and not dominating enough.

It's the fundamental core of Ultron's character, that he despises humanity but is always doing human shit like addressing Pym as his father and creating a wife and child for himself, giving himself a humanoid form - that hypocrisy is one of his defining characteristics and I feel they didn't really nail it because they couldnt put the time towards developing his relationship with Tony like was done with him and Hank Pym over the years.

Tace

I'm so happy my boy is getting good reviews! I called it on Iron Man! And you guys thought he was going to be all up in the movie...I knew those scenes in the trailer were probably all of his scenes. He only did 3 days of shooting

Sadist

Ultron seemed to me like a walking contradiction. He talks lots of shit about the inevitability of children Supplanting their creators, just like he was destined to do. Which in turn means he is identifying as Tony's child. But humanity is weak to him, and his implicit acceptance of this weird father-son relationship makes him a giant hypocrite.

Yeah, Ultron was characterized well, but ended up too silly and not dominating enough.
Weird father and son thing is Ultron's MO. He isn't that different in the comics, did have more daddy issues with Hank Pym though.

Spider-Man 2 was the first superhero movie I ever saw in theaters, or as it was known where I saw it; El Hombre de Arania Dos, so I'm super hyped about this being good.

inky

Oh hey, it seems to be doing alright. I actually doubted this movie from the trailers, but the reception is solid.

Neat.

As expected, Spider-Man + MCU = awesome. Sony definitely made the right choice making the deal with Marvel. Can't wait to watch it next week.

Ultron seemed to me like a walking contradiction.

That's pretty true to the character, tbh. He's an emotional wreck of a robot that hates humanity but is unable to see the irony in his behavior. The Earth's Mightiest Heroes version was great but honestly a little sterile compared to how he's portrayed in the comics. Ultron has been and always will be a confused whiny little prick and that's partly why I love him :p

Top Bottom