• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man |OT| web's outta stock y'all

d00d3n

After having played for a couple of hours, I am curious to play more, but I don't think I like this as much as the Arkham games. The combat seems like a nice enough imitation of the Arkham system (the attack and evade buttons are too far apart, though ...), but the investigation, pre-engagement positioning and traversal gameplay is much worse.

The Arkham games had this wonderful sense of being a predator who is in full control of his surroundings. This was most obvious in the stealth encounters against enemies with guns, but it was also the framing of most other fun activities in the games. You monitored your surroundings from the shadows or from above, made a plan, and actively choose to engage with melee fights, stealth sections or puzzles. Some sections were pretty linear despite this, but the games always made it feel like you were planning your approach.

I don't get the sense of being in control of my surroundings at all in Spider-Man. The game doesn't expect me to or reward me for trying to make observations about my surroundings. I feel like I am stumbling from one decent combat encounter to the next one, without having any active part in planning the overall approach to traversal, engaging enemies or puzzles. The game doesn't provide any real options, or even any quality faked ones, which relegates the player to the role of a decision maker and button presser in a series of Arkham style combat encounters.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
It's dope. Playing on Amazing and im dying quite often though.

I am not alone in the dying felt. Yess! Lol. I’m assuming if it is me that is the issue I’ll get better at it. Having fun regardless though.

Nymphae

Banned
Sure, press "options" and then select "skip cinematic". I'm assuming, I don't want to skip the story first time around so I haven't tried it.

That is a big assumption to make, for whatever reason, skipping cutscenes has not become a universal feature. I hope that's how it works though.

tkscz

For anyone whose gotten pretty far into the game, how does it compare to Ultimate Spider-man from back on the PS2, GC and XB? Until now, that was still the best Spider-man game to be released, but some of the reviews I'm seeing make the games sound nearly the same.

Nymphae

Banned
Just picked up my pre-order at EB. I got a free Spider-Man coaster with it lol, they only had 50 so lucky I went at lunch instead of after work.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
For anyone whose gotten pretty far into the game, how does it compare to Ultimate Spider-man from back on the PS2, GC and XB? Until now, that was still the best Spider-man game to be released, but some of the reviews I'm seeing make the games sound nearly the same.
How does that hold up? I have it for GameCube but never played it.

Ozrimandias

In couldnt play at midnight. But today i just couldnt wait and played only the first 3 minutes.

I cant give an opinion based on 3 minutes, but as a huge fan of Spidey, I loved what i saw.
Besides, the game starts with not a teen, schoolboy Peter, but a "Mature" one, with other problems more than "Pass the exams, leading with Bullys from High School, being the nerd of the class", but more complex kind of troubles, pay the bills, live in a small apartment, save money for a new laptop, live in messy place, etc..... that its the Peter Parker that i liked the most, In the big screen (Spiderman 2 of Raimy), In the Comics and now with this videogame..... thats is what kept me away from the Parker of Holland and mostly Andrew Garfield

Kreydo

I watched a Spiderman stream of a guy farming the town, like in those terrible Assassin Creed map, to unlock some coin to enhance some stuff, who need upgrade mods, who are hided in menu of menu... Looked so tedious and boring.

Dante83

Banned
Is anyone else experiencing game freezes? I had like 3 separate freezes on my ps4 pro so far...It was quite annoying as I was enjoying the game a lot and it froze on me. I had a friend who also experienced the game freezing up randomly.

tkscz

How does that hold up? I have it for GameCube but never played it.

Just went back to play the GC version myself.

The swinging mechanic is fantastic till this day. He even does the mid-air flips and tricks you see in Spider-man (2018)

Most of the gameplay is fine, the combat isn't as refined as something like the Batman Arkham series, but it still fits the game. Some nice web tricks you can do when you're near lamp poles, like hang them upside down from them or doing web throws and pulls.

The part that didn't age well, or you could even say was never good, is the open world. It lets you travel through huge chunks of New York (Queens and Manhattan I believe), but everything you do is pretty boring. There is a bunch of collectables that are either too easy or way too annoying to get. The races are still fun to do where you race the human Torch from the Fantastic Four. The speed challenges are still fun as well, but again, both are due to the swing mechanic just working so damn well. The beating up gangs challenges get repetitive and fast, same with stopping run away drivers and people falling to their doom over and over.

The set pieces are great and still hold up. Webbing cars, saving civilians, chasing down some big bads. However, the padding between set pieces is a slog as the game forces you to do a certain amount of races, gang fights, or just general heroing before you can continue with the story.

The venom parts of the game are just Hulk's Ultimate Destruction without the boxing gloves made out of cars. They aren't bad, but they aren't as fun. Luckily venom is only story set pieces rather than any inbetween padding. Venom also loses health as you play and you'll need to absorb people to stave it off.

The voice acting was always bad, plane and simple. They do that thing where they just talk and talk and talk and it gets so annoying.

Overall the game's main story and sets still hold up because of the swinging mechanic and how well it works and is weaved into the game. The racing and speed challenges are still really fun to do and while Venom isn't as interesting, it's still fun to play as such a bruiser like Venom in such a way. The rest of it doesn't hold up as well, but wasn't really all that good to begin with. Unfortunately I'm hearing some of the same things about Spider-man 2018's side quest.

Insomniac included "QTE Auto Complete" and "Option to Skip Puzzles" in the Accessibility menu.

Do they think actual monkeys are playing their games? The QTEs are easier than Detroit while the puzzles are easier than Uncharted 4. A child could beat most if them one-handed.

They did this bullshit with Ratchet and Clank and I knew they'd yuck this game up somehow. Glad I rented this instead.

A.Romero

Insomniac included "QTE Auto Complete" and "Option to Skip Puzzles" in the Accessibility menu.

Do they think actual monkeys are playing their games? The QTEs are easier than Detroit while the puzzles are easier than Uncharted 4. A child could beat most if them one-handed.

They did this bullshit with Ratchet and Clank and I knew they'd yuck this game up somehow. Glad I rented this instead.

How are options bad? Many people don't like QTEs for example. How does people playing the game differently detract from your experience?

I wish I never grew up with the 90s and Spectacular Spider-Man cartoons, plus the Raimi movies.

I bought this game this morning and I don't like it, and it hurts. I just can't get into it. The reason? Well... it's about Spider-Man/Peter Parker himself, but I don't really want to talk about it again (I had a discussion a few years ago on gaf and I didn't like having to defend my child built impressions of the character). I just want to put my little word out there, because I feel hurt, and then head out. I just don't think Spider-Man is for me anymore.

That said I am glad that others seem to be enjoying the game. And with that, I'm out.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I wish I never grew up with the 90s and Spectacular Spider-Man cartoons, plus the Raimi movies.

I bought this game this morning and I don't like it, and it hurts. I just can't get into it. The reason? Well... it's about Spider-Man/Peter Parker himself, but I don't really want to talk about it again (I had a discussion a few years ago on gaf and I didn't like having to defend my child built impressions of the character). I just want to put my little word out there, because I feel hurt, and then head out. I just don't think Spider-Man is for me anymore.

That said I am glad that others seem to be enjoying the game. And with that, I'm out.
I kind of know how you feel. I grew up a huge fan of the first two Kid Icarus games, but absolutely hated Uprising. Seeing people being able to get into a game I just couldn't despite it being one of my most anticipated games of all time was a kick in the nuts.

How are options bad? Many people don't like QTEs for example. How does people playing the game differently detract from your experience?
Missing the point dude. What's the point of including game mechanics that you do not have faith in people to complete them? Plus there's no incentive to do them manually.

You say many people don't like QTEs while Detroit just crossed a million units in sales. If enough people were so repulsed by pressing buttons (which is what video games are all abour anyway) then they should just remove those mechanics entirely.

Ulysses 31

I bought this game this morning and I don't like it, and it hurts. I just can't get into it. The reason? Well... it's about Spider-Man/Peter Parker himself, but I don't really want to talk about it again (I had a discussion a few years ago on gaf and I didn't like having to defend my child built impressions of the character).
No TLDR version? :lollipop_pensive:

I personally am not into heroes that to run their mouths, wisecracking the whole time.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Missing the point dude. What's the point of including game mechanics that you do not have faith in people to complete them? Plus there's no incentive to do them manually.
To look cool of course and the QTEs are for the short attention span folk that seem to be common these days. >.>

A.Romero

You say many people don't like QTEs while Detroit just crossed a million units in sales. If enough people were so repulsed by pressing buttons (which is what video games are all abour anyway) then they should just remove those mechanics entirely.

I'm definitely missing the point, doesn't make sense to me. I know Detroit was a success but don't you think a lot of people might like what this game offers and didn't buy Detroit?

And people that like qte mechanics and bought Detroit can chose not to disable them?

I think it's ok for people to enjoy certain sections of the game and skip others. I mean, it makes the game more enjoyable for them and let people like us who want the full experience to play how we want.

Because there is an option to skip some tiny little thing (that almost everybody here hates) it makes the entire game not worthwhile?

How old are you? 12?!

Because there is an option to skip some tiny little thing (that almost everybody here hates) it makes the entire game not worthwhile?
QTEs and puzzles have taken up a decent amount of my time - not because they're difficult but they give you a lot to do right away.

So it feels like 1/3 of the game that Insomniac doesn't care if I play or not. Why should I care if they don't?

AlexxKidd

Did Spider-Man kill your dog?

Game is great so far, only got to dabble a little last night as it dropped so late. I'll delve much deeper when I get home and when I come back I expect to have Electro's beaten down body swinging from the ceiling.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

This is a joke right?

Neverwas

You do realize "accessibility" options are typically meant for handicapped gamers, right? Do you get upset when there's a grip bar in your toilet stall as well?

You do realize "accessibility" options are typically meant for handicapped gamers, right? Do you get upset when there's a grip bar in your toilet stall as well?
You shouldn't be trying to play games if you cannot handle QTEs and basic puzzles. What kind of handicap allows a person to do the game's combat and traversal (both of which require more complex controls), but not QTEs and puzzles?

If there was at least a bigger reward for doing them the right way I wouldn't care about an option to skip chunks of the game.

Humdinger

You shouldn't be trying to play games if you cannot handle QTEs and basic puzzles. What kind of handicap allows a person to do the game's combat and traversal (both of which require more complex controls), but not QTEs and puzzles?

If there was at least a bigger reward for doing them the right way I wouldn't care about an option to skip chunks of the game.

Dude, you're complaining about a menu option. If you don't want to use it, don't use it. It's off by default anyhow. You're reading some nefarious purpose into it ("Insomniac doesn't care about the game"). They probably put it there because some people don't like QTEs. Big deal. You don't have to use it if you don't want to. Let it go. You're letting a trivial option derail your enjoyment of the game.

AlexxKidd

Who are you to decide who should and shouldn't be playing games? Are you the High Priest of Video Games and Entertainment?

MaKTaiL

After reading all the comments in this thread it seems people are trying too hard not to like the game for simply being a Sony exclusive. Whatever happened to Neogaf? It's a shame what the community here has evolved to.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Mine saying it's gonna take 44mins to install WTF

It uses dynamic resolution, according to DF it's between 3456x1944 and 2560x1368, with 1584p being the average.

Before the "temporal injection" pass, that is. Have you seen Ratchet & Clank on a Pro/4K screen? There the internal resolution is 1440p, but what is visible on the TV seems to be of much higher resolution.

Thanks for the info sir, regardless it will look crispy clean on my 4k sets.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
After reading all the comments in this thread it seems people are trying too hard not to like the game for simply being a Sony exclusive. Whatever happened to Neogaf? It's a shame what the community here has evolved to.
Dude, not everyone is going to like every game, regardless of whether or not it's an exclusive.

Catphish

Dude. Just stop.

NahaNago

You tend to get the extreme ends of fanboyism for posts with games since folks won't generally post about a game unlike they are gushing about it or hating on it. Plus the game just released and it is a lot easier to write about what you hate about a game than what you like even if you enjoy like 90% of a game.

Cymendo

Neo Member
Caved and grabbed it despite not being a huge modern day Marvel fan (Spidey is always cool with me, though). I'm early on but I have to admit I've already had some amazing moments with the web slinging/slow down time/minor traversal upgrades. Combat is decent so far and I see some potential for customized combos and flashy stuff.

Its pretty much what I expected. Kudos to Insomniac, the vibe is right.

As another person who rented this because I can't afford to buy a new game right now this sounds great. I want to complete as much of the game as I can tonight and being able to skip parts that I don't enjoy (will try them first before skipping) is pretty sweet! Thanks for sharing this info!

Did anyone make this point? Like THIS GAME IS SHIT BECAUSE FUCK SONY LMAO?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That plus a 4 gig patch to install. I almost want to just eat the 3$ and take the thing back to the redbox.
Ironically the 4gb patch was done within minutes but that install.

royox

Loved the detail that if you are talking with someone on the phone and you go to the menu when you go back to the game Peter says "yeah sorry Im back what were you saying?".

WaterAstro

Ugh, I hate installs like this.

Why couldn't more games do this like in Yakuza Kiwami 2? Let's you play a good part of the game with a partial install.

LIZwOI2.jpg

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

Did anyone make this point? Like THIS GAME IS SHIT BECAUSE FUCK SONY LMAO?

Uhh...

even with all the game's flaws, you will still see people claiming that it is a masterpiece just because it's a sony exclusive

Here's a guy saying people are claiming they like the game just because it's a Sony exclusive. So yeah, the same shit you up there USING ALL CAPS TO LMAO about has already happened. If you so fond of trying to call out what you think is bullshit why didn't you call out xviper on his bullshit? Maybe you only call it out when it goes one way.

-

Just got done playing a lot more, combat is much deeper than I thought. I look forward to bumping it up to hard difficulty but I want to get more of the hang of what I'm doing, plus when you start getting into the skill tree and opening up even more options I feel it might be overwhelming, so slow and steady. First thing I did when I got let loose was fix all the police signals, ran into a nice little vehicle chase crime that I loved. I only stepped away cause I need to eat, don't wanna overdo it lol.

Still feel like I kinda suck though, with swinging and fighting, does anybody else have that feeling? Or maybe had it initially?

Uhh...

Here's a guy saying people are claiming they like the game just because it's a Sony exclusive. So yeah, the same shit you up there USING ALL CAPS TO LMAO about has already happened. If you so fond of trying to call out what you think is bullshit why didn't you call out xviper on his bullshit? Maybe you only call it out when it goes one way.

That post you quoted doesn't say the game is shit because it's a Sony exclusive, it says it might be getting overhyped because of it. That's a console warrior thing to say, but honestly your post was much worse in that regard. And the dude I quoted clearly said "all the comments in this thread" as if there was many instances of that happening and all you could muster up was a single post that doesn't even fit the criteria.

Xviper's post is sound. I disagree with the idea that an exclusive game gets more or less hyped, but it's not egregious. Saying that anyone criticizing the game is doing so because they hate Sony is a bit more questionable.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Uhh...

Nobody takes him seriously, especially after he said it looks like a PS3 game, we still love him though xD

Last edited:
Top Bottom