• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man |OT| web's outta stock y'all

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
*MOD EDIT*

I was talking about the utter nonsense you and other morons that attack people and labelled as a sony hater when they have a different opinion or are critical about something related to sony. Hence your salty response.

I have been a loyal sony fan since the day I fell in love with GT1 and wipeout on PS1. I have purchased all their consoles, tv's and home theater systems. So I am labelled as a sony hater because I am critical of a highly praised sony game? Do you realize how stupid and cringy you **MOD EDIT** "People" sound?

No wonder no one takes the gaming industry seriously, Its impossible to have a debate or have a critical opinion without some hive mind echo chamber getting triggered.

I'm out. :messenger_peace:
I found the puddle thing amusing, never really had an opinion other than "who cares" as it happens all the time
In this case there was upgrades and people are salty about it.
As for you being a loyal Sony fan lol 😂 no one cares but your post/liked history is all negative until you reach Halo Thread with "Wow, that looks fantastic!"
Dude I can join in with you with my opinion about Sony's Firmware Upgrades and lack of BC.
MS is killing it in this department and Sony needs to get there act together because its pathetic.
But MS doesn't have the games
None of them are perfect.

VulcanRaven

I have played for few hours and it is great. Graphics are really good. I'm playing on Amazing(normal) difficulty and the game feels hard. I die often even when doing random street crimes. Spidey can die very easily during combat.

Last edited:

Halo0629

Finished it. It was really good, not the best game or goty material but definitely up there with the best superhero game for me. Story is good and game can be quite challenging even on normal. Game can also be glitchy at times like peter clipping on buildings or freezing mid air but it's tolerable and not really a huge deal for me. The huge con for me was probably the ubisoft type collect-a-thon you have to do to unlock costumes and upgrades.

iorek21

The only thing that bothers me is how much this game relies on side content. It seems to me that the game takes too much time introducting these side activities instead of just jumping into the story.

I'm probably halfway through the game and at least 6 "main missions" that were just there to introduct me to some side content

Just give me the story already

xviper

i'm very close to getting the platinum

all i have left is finish the random crimes and finish the story,

kunonabi

Anybody else loving the Scarlet Spider outfit? It's so comic book. Ever since unlocking it I've been sticking with it. It's a longshot but I would love it if Insomniac released artist variation suits, I'd be particularly happy if my Spider-man looked like he was drawn by Mark Bagley (ASM not USM).

Not true at all, you'll die pretty quickly if you don't apply some tact.

I'm not going to lie the main reason I rented the game was for the Scarlet Spider suit and yeah it looks great. I'm not a fan of most of Spidey's suits so I was really happy they give it to you so early.

@thread I've removed a few posts which were going off on the usual racial tangent. They served no purpose except to try and inject controversy into the thread. If you want to discuss those specific issues as they pertain to Spider-Man then please do so. The OT is not for that purpose, and the majority of the people in the OT are interested in actual game detail like controls, graphics, enjoyment etc. This is the line in the sand for this thread.
Can I still talk about SquirrelGate? We need to open our eyes to this.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Can I still talk about SquirrelGate? We need to open our eyes to this.

Pics or it didn't happen!

I don't have the game yet since I was trying to hold off and work my backlog, but the 2 games and get $15 is gonna make me cave soon on PSN. Since I will pick this one up, and RDR2. I have a ton of Sony Rewards credit.

Last edited:
Still not liking the MJ parts of the game.

Just finished a part where you alternate between her and Spiderman. Really don't see the point of playing her (nor (spoiler?) for that matter, but at least I like him). MJ also just sucks as a person in this story.

The Spiderman/ Peter Parker parts are just so much better. Why pull me away from that?

Lastyou1

Banned
Played few hours (finally), beat the first two bosses (the latter twice) and I can say without the shadow of a doubt that this game's combat and traversal are amazing, way better than the already excellent ones in the Arkham series.

Right now I am absolutely satysfied with the game, the only dissappointening part is the side mission variety.
Side missions really sucked, but is less tedious than Horizon due to vastly superior traversal.

ROMWOLF

Neo Member
I've read/watched multiple reviews before buying it and the MJ dynamic was always mentioned has a negative, so going into it i was expecting something generally bad (writing/acting). But I'm actually enjoying the dynamic between them so far( around 20% complete ). Parker being the nice guy, hopeful/overthinking that he can mend their relationship, being essentially used by MJ for her personal and professional gain. Its something that I havent seen in a Spider Man or even a superhero story. (i do lack comicbook knowledge) Thats my interpretation of MJ so far though.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Just got back in the country and looking forward to firing this up! Have it downloading while getting ready to run some errands.

Pics or it didn't happen!

I don't have the game yet since I was trying to hold off and work my backlog, but the 2 games and get $15 is gonna make me cave soon on PSN. Since I will pick this one up, and RDR2. I have a ton of Sony Rewards credit.
dnuSH9v_d.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Meanwhile on Resetera lol ...

If I were that dude, I would tell Insomniac to leave that shit in there. That way her cheating ass and her brother can forever have that immortalized in a work of art. One of the most popular IP's in history at that.

Last edited:
If I were that dude, I would tell Insomniac to leave that shit in there. That way her cheating ass and her brother can forever have that immortalized in a work of art. One of the most popular IP's in history at that.
I wonder how the REEera kiddies would feel if Madison was the one that left the message but got turned down.

royox

I've read that its a button masher.

True?

Nope, there are plenty of enemies that you can't just "button mash". Enemies with Shields will cover unless you move behind them under their legs, enemies with swords will counter you if you attack them from the front, enemies with whips will catch and drop you to the floor if you are using aerials near them, big ones will tank all your hits unless you stop their hands with webs. Even "normal" enemies will give you a hard time if you button mash (people with guns or machineguns firing at distance, people with freagging missile launchers, grenades, etc).

Love playing at the highest difficulty mode, it forces you to use every gadget you have to complete the challenges and the battles. Love sticking enemies with their partners with the mines lol. Also SPIDERBRO IS A BEAST.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I finished it this morning. The good:
-Graphics are amazing. The city is well built.
-Web slinging feels great.
-Story and villains were enjoyable. Good voice acting.
-Combat overall is decent.

Bad:
-All the lame collection side content.
-I didn't really like the stealth segments with the other characters.
-Camera can be a bit weird in combat at times.
-Was the music bad? I don't know. I can't recall any of it.

I'll give it a 9/10.

How’s the PS4 Pro fan with this game? Plane taking off or all good?

Same as most games from my experience. If I leave it on the shelf it is super loud. If I pull it out of the shelf a lot to give it more breathing room it's still loud, but not too bad. I find the Pro needs a lot of open space around it.

Just when will men understand that this kind of thing is bound to fail EVERY. TIME. ??????????????????????????????????????????????
I think it's pretty cool to get a marriage proposal into a game like this. Beats doing it through an overpriced dinner or a sports game.

Kagero

I’m very curious to see sales for this. I was at my local EB yesterday and they had stacks of them. My thought was there’s no way they sell out of these. I went back today to pick mine up and the manager told me there are only three copies left. I think this game is going to set a new record.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I’m very curious to see sales for this. I was at my local EB yesterday and they had stacks of them. My thought was there’s no way they sell out of these. I went back today to pick mine up and the manager told me there are only three copies left. I think this game is going to set a new record.

I do too. God of War was mighty impressive with 5 million in the first month. My gut has been this will top that on the Spider-Man name alone. Mentioned it several months back.

I still have yet to purchase it myself.

Last edited:

A.Romero

So I've put quite a few hours since I got the game Friday last night and I got to say it is exactly what I expected and a bit more.

Swinging is the best in Spidey games history, hands down. It has the perfect between skill (timing, button combinations, etc) and automatic animation (hold to parkour). It's hard enough to keep you concentrated if you want to go fast or at certain height but doesn't get in the way when you want to do something. It feels with the right weight and inertia but at the same time cinematic. It's so good that I found myself going for all the collectibles which I never do in games. I only fast traveled once because the story required it.

The fighting is engaging and well balanced. Enemies don't feel like damage sponges and give you some challenges. I'm playing on the highest difficulty and have about 50% of upgrades but still get killed stopping random crime if I get careless. To me it's very different than Batman's. I enjoyed Arkham's fighting a lot (I even played the challenges), it's about rhythm and using the right tools while Spidey's is more dynamic. I like both but they are pretty different in my opinion. It took a bit to click, at the beginning I was constantly dying but once I finally paid attention to the loading screens and started going for aerial combat everything felt right. I'd rank it at the same level as Arkham, way better than Mad Max, for example.

I haven't finished the story but so far it's OK. Standard Spider-Man arch with the proper issues to keep life and secret identity balanced as well as having villians appear on Peter's life. Better than say Web of shadows, for example but nothing to really write home about.

Sound design is pretty good but the music is just there. It sounds a lot like Raimi's movies. It doesn't really add anything. It could be better. I noticed that Peter's voice sounds different depending of what you are doing. If you have a conversation while swinging his voice recording is different. It's the first time I noticed something like that in a game.

I'm not a big fan of the suits, though. I have played most of the game with the standard suit (white spider) or with the Infinity one but I still have like 6 more to unlock so I'm looking forward to see what they are. I don't really care much about gadgets and stuff and barely use them.

So far the worst parts of the game have been the stealth sections and some annoying research lab missions. Speaking of side missions, the side quests are OK but the pidgeon stuff is kind of annoying. The collectibles are also not well thought. How is it possible that Peter's backpacks will still be there since he was in high school? I wish they put more thought in those details. It feels like it was as much of a chore to design as it is to play them.

I also wish there were cameos with other characters in the Marvel universe. I guess Marvel didn't want to commit to set the design of any characters and that's why they don't show.

Overall, it is the best spidey game so far and right up there with Arkham City as one of the best super hero games. I hope Insomniac starts a franchise out of this.

A few things I'd like to see done with Marvel licenses in the future:

- Ironman game done by Avalanche
- Hulk game done by Sucker Punch or Insomniac
- Captain America game done by Rocksteady (but with MGSV game design)

Kagero

I do too. God of War was mighty impressive with 5 million in the first month. My gut has been this will top that on the Spider-Man name alone. Mentioned it several months back.

I still have yet to purchase it myself.
I think good word of mouth is going to carry this on to the Holidays. It's a showpiece for videogames in general. It's a joy to control, and isn't an overly difficult game from what I hear. All these factors make it a recipe for commercial success. This isn't even factoring in the huge popularity of Spiderman. I think your original assessment will be validated in a couple days. I'm happy for Insomniac. They've always been one of my favourite developers.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm starting to really enjoy the game. But man, some of these backpack unlockables are so dull it's insulting lol.

Aunt May's wheatcakes recipe!
My first shitty gym t-shirt!
My old toothbrush!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just saw the diner scene 😂 nice reference
I should have known there be Stan Lee cameo

Last edited:

Ogbert

I'm actually starting to enjoy it a lot more now.

It's twigged that gadgets are a core of the combat mechanics and you're supposed to use them all the time. Got to say - it's good fun.

MaKTaiL

Wow, the story so far has been really great. Act 3 spoilers:

I just completed Act 2 and OMG the city now looks a lot like Batman Arkham City. Danger on every corner and rooftops. Snipers and RPGs everywhere. This is awesome.

Last edited:

royox

Just found Jessica Jones's place and after that this

nvZ5Ffg.jpg

The level of LOVE they put into this game is awe-inspiring. Gonna see if I can find Luke Cage's barbershop.

Last edited:

xviper

just finished the game and got the platinum

overall it's a decent Superhero game since most superhero games are trash, but i enjoyed my time with it

pros:
+ lots of gadgets and abilities
+ decent story
+ good amount of play time for these type of games ( it took me long because i went for the platinum since it's easy)
+ great character models
+ the map is way bigger than i thought
+ swinging becomes fun once you get used to it ( at first i got bored of it but then it clicked with me )

Cons:
- MJ\ Miles sections
- boring and VERY repetitive side quests
- HUGE lack of side quests, there is like 10 side quests and they are all fetch quests
- there is barely any unlockable moves, yes you can unlock gadgets, but there isn't enough melee moves which makes combat repetitve and only evolves around gadgets instead of melee combat
- combat is bad ( i also hated the Arkham games's combat so that might be just me)
- AWFUL and easy boss fights
- most of the activities that are collectibles are not available from the beginning
- lack of soundtracks, i swear i kept hearing the same soundtrack the whole time
- no shops to enter or to play mini-games at ( they created a large city and you can only access 2 buildings )
- some glitches occured like enemies getting inside walls or Audio being weird during cutscene
- no replayability, once i 100% the map, there is nothing to do except swinging around and beating thugs
- QTE's were not used properly
- the time you encounter the bosses was weird and a very bad decision, i don't want to spoil the game but you'll understand once you play it

my score is 6.5\10

i tried to like the game but there is too much flaws and honestly the game is very repetitive

Last edited:

royox

Is Harlem accessible?

It is. It's also filled by black NPC, love the level of details of each district. Still have to find any Luke Cage reference tho. Can't find Pop's barbershop (maybe it didin't make it). Also can't find any Ironfist reference (The Rant tower for example). Weird cause I found Jessica Jone's place and even the bar where Matt Murdock and Foggy expend all the times.

Last edited:
Finished the game earlier. Really awesome game. I've said it before but it really is Spiderman's (and Marvel's, really) Arkham, for better and worse.
For better: The combat as Spidey is perfect once you get a full grasp on it, much like in the Arkham games. It really shines once you start Ratchet & Clank'ing it, swapping between weapons in mid-air etc. It just feels perfect.
For worse: Some story beats (Scorpion in particular), Predator Room scenarios (which, honestly, don't really feel right when wearing a red spandex suit lol), and even some of the music feels like they were lifted right out of Arkham. I know, imitation is the highest form of flattery but jeez.

So yeah, I agree with the 9/10 assessment that the reviewers have averaged out to. Had it had more originality, I think it would have been received SLIGHTLY more favorably. But it's still an awesome game that any Spider-Man fan should immediately pick up.

That said, the only thing I genuinely DISLIKE about the game is Silver Sable. I got Nadine (Uncharted 4) vibes from her in this one - I.E., the strong independent woman that is somehow able to get the drop on our male protagonist (who in this case is a genetically enhanced superhuman). Seems legit.

Edit: Since there isn't a Photo Mode thread, I'll just post these here in spoiler tags. The last one can be considered spoilery - you've been warned.
DmsIKzIXcAESRYS.jpg:large
I call this one "Typical Millennial"
DmsKRAoXgAIR1VW.jpg:large
"Marvel before their Disney money"
DmsIjqPW4AUToIQ.jpg:large
"Foreshadowing (Not really)"

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
just finished the game and got the platinum

overall it's a decent Superhero game since most superhero games are trash, but i enjoyed my time with it

pros:
+ lots of gadgets and abilities
+ decent story
+ good amount of play time for these type of games ( it took me long because i went for the platinum since it's easy)
+ great character models
+ the map is way bigger than i thought
+ swinging becomes fun once you get used to it ( at first i got bored of it but then it clicked with me )

Cons:
- MJ\ Miles sections
- boring and VERY repetitive side quests
- HUGE lack of side quests, there is like 10 side quests and they are all fetch quests
- there is barely any unlockable moves, yes you can unlock gadgets, but there isn't enough melee moves which makes combat repetitve and only evolves around gadgets instead of melee combat
- combat is bad ( i also hated the Arkham games's combat so that might be just me)
- AWFUL and easy boss fights
- most of the activities that are collectibles are not available from the beginning
- lack of soundtracks, i swear i kept hearing the same soundtrack the whole time
- no shops to enter or to play mini-games at ( they created a large city and you can only access 2 buildings )
- some glitches occured like enemies getting inside walls or Audio being weird during cutscene
- no replayability, once i 100% the map, there is nothing to do except swinging around and beating thugs
- QTE's were not used properly
- the time you encounter the bosses was weird and a very bad decision, i don't want to spoil the game but you'll understand once you play it

my score is 6.5\10

i tried to like the game but there is too much flaws and honestly the game is very repetitive
Lot of accurate points here. I swear to god the game has literally one song that plays anytime you're swinging and that's the only song in the game aside from cutscenes.

And there is literally nothing to do in the city aside from some basic side quests. It's like they built the skeleton of a great game and didn't have any time left to fill it with things.

Ulysses 31

Lot of accurate points here. I swear to god the game has literally one song that plays anytime you're swinging and that's the only song in the game aside from cutscenes.

And there is literally nothing to do in the city aside from some basic side quests. It's like they built the skeleton of a great game and didn't have any time left to fill it with things.
They left that stuff for the DLC! :lollipop_grinning::lollipop_grinning::lollipop_grinning:

Just finished the main story.

Honestly, I enjoyed the Infamous Second Son and First Light stories more. The traversal isn't as good but the superpowers were cooler and the characters were much more likeable. The Miles segments were okay, but the Mary Jane parts really bummed me out. Should've just stayed as Spiderman/Peter Parker for the whole game.

This game is also similar to Ratchet and Clank 2016 here there are a lot of flashy eye candy parts with little substance. The normal combat is good and challenging, yet the bosses are all very short and easy.

It was a decent rental at least.

RavageX

I'd love to see them do an Incredible Hulk game, kinda like Ultimate Destruction. One of the best superhero games I've ever played.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I played a few hours last night and am loving it so far. Just played up to getting the first new suit as I took my time doing the police towers, finding the backpacks and fighting crime. Traversal is a blast, combat is fun and the game looks amazing.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Completed the game last night alongside a shiny new platinum trophy. It had excellent world design, acting, and some fantastic pacing for its story - but I do wish that they improved the side content. What was there was nice, but there was just a tad too many "random" crime sections to fill out that 100% and with very little variation in between. The music was also completely forgettable. I cannot remember a single song in the game despite playing it for nearly 30 hours over the course of the weekend.

However, the game made me feel like spiderman and that was more than worth the smaller annoying issues.

I would give this a 7.5/8 out of 10. Fantastic start, but with some tweaking a sequel could make an easy 9/10 out of 10.

Ozrimandias

Loving this game so much, sure it has an influence of Arkham but in my opinion, its better in many ways.

For example, They "solved" the empty city situations. The peasants interact with spidey naturally.
Another one; Art direction, i loved Arkham but i found the NPC desings unpleasent to me, dont get me wrong, its an awesome game but, everybody was on steroids. The representation of NY and some desings were outstanding. I dont remember a better intro also in a videogame based on a superhero.

I think that its the best superhero videogame to date, and one (to me the best) audiovisual adaptation of Spidey from the comics after the TV Series of 1994.

Come at me.

Top Bottom