• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man |OT| web's outta stock y'all

nowhat

Completed the game last night alongside a shiny new platinum trophy. It had excellent world design, acting, and some fantastic pacing for its story - but I do wish that they improved the side content. What was there was nice, but there was just a tad too many "random" crime sections to fill out that 100% and with very little variation in between. The music was also completely forgettable. I cannot remember a single song in the game despite playing it for nearly 30 hours over the course of the weekend.

However, the game made me feel like spiderman and that was more than worth the smaller annoying issues.

I would give this a 7.5/8 out of 10. Fantastic start, but with some tweaking a sequel could make an easy 9/10 out of 10.
I completed the main story and all of the side quests - still collectibles to go, but whether I will remains to be seen (not a trophy hunter). I mostly agree with your assessment, it's not a masterpiece or a revolutionary game, but a well-made game with outstanding presentation (even if the HDR is a bit meh) and fun core gameplay. Slightly disagreed on the music though, while it is not memorable by any means, it fits well within the gameplay. As an analogy, I cannot recall the music from any MCU movie really, but within the context of the movie it usually works very well.

When it comes to the inevitable sequel and side quests, I wish in addition to adding more meaningful side quests, they'd take a lesson from Yakuza and add meaningless side quests too. I'm not saying Spidey should run a cabaret club (although coming to think of it, that would be interesting - Marvel probably wouldn't agree though), but New York surely has its fair share of eccentric people with bizarre requests. And also, there should be one side quest where all the player has to do is walk like Tobey Maguire in Spider-Man 3. Seriously, that needs to happen.

iorek21

So...

MJ and Peter broke up because of some Rispekt Waman shenannigans? hahahhaahahahahahahahahahahahha

Facepalm

Oh the feels!! That ending was great!

Great game. 9.5/10 seems about right. Honestly maybe 1 or 2 too many Miles/MJ parts. This game could have been a 10 without those parts.

Still fantastic game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So...

MJ and Peter broke up because of some Rispekt Waman shenannigans? hahahhaahahahahahahahahahahahha

Facepalm

I didn't see that at all. It felt like they broke up because he was overbearing/overprotecting, acting in a smothering fashion. This has been mentioned in the comics for well over a decade, long before the SJW/Far-Left Feminism push.

Last edited:

iorek21

I didn't see that at all. It felt like they broke up because he was overbearing/overprotecting, acting in a smothering fashion. This has been mentioned in the comics for well over a decade, long before the SJW/Far-Left Feminism push.
Yeah, that may be the case in the comics, but during a certain dialogue in the game, MJ says he "overprotects" her, but what did she expect? How stupid can you be to enter a military base unarmed, with no powers, expecting to distract guards by throwing stuff and pushing generators and tool boxes?

Furthermore, I really doubt that those were the first occasions in which MJ did this sneak-ins, that's probably why Peter is "overprotective" in the context of the game. I really doubt that this version of Peter would protect her to cross a street or something.... he protects her of these stupid choices that she makes

Future

Game kicks it up a notch once the events in the second E3 trailer start happening. Definitely feel like a super hero. Makes you almost forget the non Super hero parts (MJ, miles, scientist mini games). If somehow the game didn’t have those I feel it would have been so much better.

Who knew insomniac was fucking so good at action choreography and cut scene direction. Feels like a damn good movie during some of the scenes. Super exhilarating.

One of the best super hero games ever made when it comes to encapsulating that super hero feel in general.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Am I right in thinking that the original trilogy costume isn't in this

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I completed the main story and all of the side quests - still collectibles to go, but whether I will remains to be seen (not a trophy hunter). I mostly agree with your assessment, it's not a masterpiece or a revolutionary game, but a well-made game with outstanding presentation (even if the HDR is a bit meh) and fun core gameplay. Slightly disagreed on the music though, while it is not memorable by any means, it fits well within the gameplay. As an analogy, I cannot recall the music from any MCU movie really, but within the context of the movie it usually works very well.

When it comes to the inevitable sequel and side quests, I wish in addition to adding more meaningful side quests, they'd take a lesson from Yakuza and add meaningless side quests too. I'm not saying Spidey should run a cabaret club (although coming to think of it, that would be interesting - Marvel probably wouldn't agree though), but New York surely has its fair share of eccentric people with bizarre requests. And also, there should be one side quest where all the player has to do is walk like Tobey Maguire in Spider-Man 3. Seriously, that needs to happen.

Well well... maybe you can recall the “Avengers” tune from the MCU movies though, right :)?

ISee

Finished the game and reached around 90%+ total completion, so I feel compelled to give my worthless opinion.

+ Traversal is fun. Swinging, jumping and wall-running never gets old and is as much fun after 30h as during the first.
+ The story is a bit corny and cheesy at times, but overall enjoyable with some good moments.
+ Spidy is "funny", childish and has some good combat chatter.
+ The game looks spectacular at times, especially during dawn and dusk scenarios. But...

- ... it can also look surprisingly mediocre during night and rainy day scenarios
- Combat is mediocre at best and can get a bit annoying in the last third of the game. The game increases both the amount and the "health pool" of enemies and combat starts to feel like work instead of fun.
(and yes, I'm using my gadgets, webbing most enemies when they are close to walls or laying down and using electricity to weaken armour etc.)
- Stealth sections are bad. You have to follow predetermined, narrow paths and your interactions feel planed out; even forced on. Nice try at changing up gameplay, unfortunately far away from being entertaining.
- Side content is bad. Want to 100% complete the game? Be ready to do normal Sidequests (not great or interesting for the most part), beat up "criminals" in 150+ randomly generated crime missions, liberate dozens of camps, gather a shit tone of collectibles, do photos, get gold ratings in timed challenges, open the map with towers and save the enviroment by doing research missions (two research mission were actually real fun!). It's quantity over quality. If your content starts to feel like a chore you are doing something wrong imo. I've 100% Bloodborne, GoW, HZD and wanted to do the same here. The thing is: I had fun doing it in those game, it took time and some kind of dedication, but I burned out in Spiderman.

My final verdict: 79/100
It's not worthwhile to get a PS4 for this game, but if you already own one you can go for it. Just enjoy the swinging, the nice graphics, the main story and ignore most of the rest.

Last edited:

A.Romero

So I just started Act 2 of the game. It took me a while because I completed over 70% of the game already (all backpacks, pidgeons, demon hideouts). I wish I played the rest of the side activities before continuing, it's harder to move around now.

The game in general is pretty fun and bright but it took a pretty dark turn. Not complaining but I definitely wasn't expecting this.

Darak

I went ahead and got the platinum for the game. Unfortunately that left me with a bitter taste, since the last task (100% each district) was beyond horrible. It's essentially about waiting until one more random crime spawns, clearing it, and doing that again 200 times. The rest of the remaining side quests weren't good, but they are fast to do in comparison. Well, I hated the challenges but you're not required to get the 3 stars in order to get any trophy or meaningful upgrade.

Doing 5 [edit: of each type] crimes shouldn't have been part of a district progress.

It's still a 9/10 for me despite the shortcomings. I have very high hopes for the inevitable sequel.

Last edited:

TGO

Spider Man getting new game +
Marvel’s Spider-Man is getting a New Game Plus update, developer Insomniac Games has revealed. Spider-Man is already set to receive its first batch of DLC The City That Never Sleeps in October, with two other content drops expected before the end of the year. It seems one of those updates will contain a New Game Plus mode, with Insomniac confirming the news in response to a fan on Twitter. Interestingly, it also seems like its nearly ready for release – with the developer stating they’re in the ‘polishing’ stages.
How much replay value the New Game Plus mode will offer is yet to be seen, with recent titles like God Of War making enemies more challenging from the start to counter having all weapons at your disposal.
The Heist will be the first part of Spider-Man’s DLC plan released on October 23, which will be based around love interest Black Cat. The second is called Turf Wars and lined up for November, while December will see the release of Silver Lining.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/11/marv...ive-new-game-plus-update-7934400/?ito=cbshare

IbukiLordSA

Game has been awesome, only around 40% done but I have been loving every moment of it. Swinging through the city just feels so great and sometimes just very relaxing. My 4 year old just swings around for 30 minutes being Spider-Man and he is content with that :p occasionally stopping to punch the bad guys in half.

A.Romero

Spider Man getting new game +

I don't see the game having a lot of replay value other than swinging around and stopping crime, however NG+ will be great for people that want to unlock all the suits and gadgets but don't want to suffer through getting Gold for the challenges.

Zimmy68

I went ahead and got the platinum for the game. Unfortunately that left me with a bitter taste, since the last task (100% each district) was beyond horrible. It's essentially about waiting until one more random crime spawns, clearing it, and doing that again 200 times. The rest of the remaining side quests weren't good, but they are fast to do in comparison. Well, I hated the challenges but you're not required to get the 3 stars in order to get any trophy or meaningful upgrade.

Doing 5 [edit: of each type] crimes shouldn't have been part of a district progress.

It's still a 9/10 for me despite the shortcomings. I have very high hopes for the inevitable sequel.

I always read/watch those "Things I wish I knew before playing" articles and they mention not to pass the random crimes when you see them.
Luckily, they give you crafting items to use so its not wasted time, plus it helped my issue with combat.

I'm loving the game so far, I went from wanting to buy Shadow of Tomb Raider day one to waiting for Black Friday sales.

MaKTaiL

I don't see the game having a lot of replay value other than swinging around and stopping crime, however NG+ will be great for people that want to unlock all the suits and gadgets but don't want to suffer through getting Gold for the challenges.
You don't need Gold to get everything.

Darak

I always read/watch those "Things I wish I knew before playing" articles and they mention not to pass the random crimes when you see them.

It's good advice. I'm pretty sure I didn't skip most of them on purpose, although sometimes they only appear in the minimap (or the main map, but not on radio) and they are easy to miss.

Humdinger

And this is why I'm a PS fan.

"Bryan Intihar, creative director on the game and the man who features in a billion interviews, made this very clear in a video interview with Kinda Funny Games. Early into the spoiler-filled conversation, Intihar made a point of saying that if PlayStation wasn't involved, the game might not have been made at all.

"This game would not exist if it wasn't for PlayStation, if not for their support," Intihar stated. "Any time I wanted to do something, and I wanted to make some drastic change, it was just like, 'Okay'. I never heard about anything. It was just like, 'Go do it.' The question was, 'Is it gonna make the game better?' and I'd say, 'Yep', and they'd go, 'Okay', and that would be the last time I'd hear about it."

"This isn't the first time we've heard about Sony being an extremely supportive partner when producing a game, and it sounds like the platform holder gave Insomniac full control over the creative aspects of production. Intihar felt that people weren't necessarily giving Sony due credit for its role in making Marvel's Spider-Man become a reality: "So many people want to talk about Marvel and Insomniac - which is awesome... But I owe everything to PlayStation".

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018...t_would_not_exist_if_it_wasnt_for_playstation

A.Romero

And this is why I'm a PS fan.

"Bryan Intihar, creative director on the game and the man who features in a billion interviews, made this very clear in a video interview with Kinda Funny Games. Early into the spoiler-filled conversation, Intihar made a point of saying that if PlayStation wasn't involved, the game might not have been made at all.

"This game would not exist if it wasn't for PlayStation, if not for their support," Intihar stated. "Any time I wanted to do something, and I wanted to make some drastic change, it was just like, 'Okay'. I never heard about anything. It was just like, 'Go do it.' The question was, 'Is it gonna make the game better?' and I'd say, 'Yep', and they'd go, 'Okay', and that would be the last time I'd hear about it."

"This isn't the first time we've heard about Sony being an extremely supportive partner when producing a game, and it sounds like the platform holder gave Insomniac full control over the creative aspects of production. Intihar felt that people weren't necessarily giving Sony due credit for its role in making Marvel's Spider-Man become a reality: "So many people want to talk about Marvel and Insomniac - which is awesome... But I owe everything to PlayStation".

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018...t_would_not_exist_if_it_wasnt_for_playstation

I too wish for games to be multi platform in all instances but I also wish people understood that exclusive deals bring gamers a lot of stuff that otherwise wouldn't exist. If this game (as it is) came out for Xbox exclusively, I'd play it there. However, I don't if Sony is the only one taking this kind of risks or they have a very good eye at choosing where to invest that they produce great games.

Of course they do anticonsumer shit like the Fortnite debacle and it really pisses me off but on the other hand they produce games like Spider-man, Last of Us or Last Guardian. As long as they keep doing it, they will keep getting my money.

nowhat

I too wish for games to be multi platform in all instances but I also wish people understood that exclusive deals bring gamers a lot of stuff that otherwise wouldn't exist.
According to the creative director Bryan Intihar, the game probably wouldn't exist without Sony. One aspect that is easily missed with these exclusive deals (or first-party studios) is that it's not only commissioning a studio to make a game. It's also giving said studio the time and resources to complete the game, with the artistic freedom (and support, if needed). In this regard, Sony has been very good this gen.

That's not to say they're perfect, far from it. PSN is still pretty much a mess, and while I don't really care about cross-play one way or another, locking PS4 Fortnite accounts to just PS4 is very much bullshit. And lots of other things, they're not saints by any means. But their handling of first (and second, which I'd count Insomniac in) -party studios*) has resulted in some terrific games, and I hope this trend continues.

*) Yes, I'm aware some first-party studios have been closed this gen. Whether deservedly or not I cannot say, but such is the reality of business. New studios/teams have also materialized, so I guess it evens out.

Wonkytonk

Quick question in relation to his suits, if someone can help?

I have almost got the platinum trophy but need to get all of the suits. I don’t want to do all these challenges agin to get the tokens, as it would require gold ranking on every one.

My question is— can I get the tokens for a suit, make a save file, buy the suit, quit, reload and then buy a different suit etc. Will that work? Or do they ALL have to be owned at the same time?

You don't need Gold to get everything.
If you mean all trophies, then yeah, cause you can do a save, get the suits and the trophy then reload but you need Ultimate rank to get everything on a single save. There's a small exception if you have the pre-order bonus cause that's a few tokens saved but even then you'll still need to get Ultimate on most of them.

I can sympathize with completionists that are not used to higher difficulties. I've become pretty pretty casual about video games as I got older. I'm quite thankful that God of War and Horizon's plat didn't have a difficulty requirement. This is probably the first game in years that I've had the patience to start at hard difficulty. The window for the highest rank for those drone challenges is definitely tight. Good thing I love web zipping unlike most who probably are more reliant on web swinging and the drones are like 90% web zipping and point launch boosting so I had plenty of practice beforehand. I enjoyed doing them and felt pretty smug once I got done but still they would have to offer a pretty substantial reward to get me to replay those for NG+.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I have almost got the platinum trophy but need to get all of the suits. I don’t want to do all these challenges agin to get the tokens, as it would require gold ranking on every one.

My question is— can I get the tokens for a suit, make a save file, buy the suit, quit, reload and then buy a different suit etc. Will that work? Or do they ALL have to be owned at the same time?

I don't think it works like that. I haven't tried what you described but I don't think trophies in general work like that, you most likely need to have every suit unlocked at the same time.

Halo0629

I think you need to buy everything in the game to get the trophy. Buying a suit then loading the game will just go back to you not buying the suit and it wont count. Just got the plat yesterday, it was fun although the crime side missions are exhausting to complete. Good thing I red about powerpyx guide about not buying anything until the end to make upgrades and suits trophies easier to obtain.

Last edited:

TGO

I have to say this has the best open world New York I've seen
Makes you wonder what they'll do with Spider Man 2 if they make one

Elcid

Banned
Well well... maybe you can recall the “Avengers” tune from the MCU movies though, right :)?

No offense but terrible suggestions imo. I love the game as is. 10/10 for me.

SoulUnison

Banned

Even if it worked, if you have to cheat to get an achievement, have you actually achieved anything?
And, why does it mean so much to you to have a little virtual icon saying you did something (that you actually didn't) that you're willing to put the effort in to game the system over it?

nowhat

No offense but terrible suggestions imo. I love the game as is. 10/10 for me.
Different strokes and all that. 8.5 personally if I were to give a numerical score - the core gameplay is great once you get the hang of it, the main story is good (not exceptional though) and the presentation is terrific (even if the HDR is a bit lacking), but it's very Ubisoft-y in the side content which I find to be very lazy/of poor design. Currently to me this is a good game, very good even. It's not quite great. But the inevitable sequel certainly has the potential to be.

(The bit about Tobey Maguire was in jest - in part at least. It's perhaps the most stupid scene in the Raimi trilogy, and there's a lot of camp in there. But it is a meme, and IMHO belongs in the category of "so-bad-it's-kinda-good" - it would just make a fun easter egg.)

SoulUnison

Banned
I hope the DLCs add a handful of "Finisher" moves.

They're awesome for the first couple hours or so, but then you get to the point where you're repeating the same animations multiple times in the same combat encounter.
The luchador style move that involves two separate instances of slow-mo is probably the most glaring offender.

Also, it takes some of the shine off the polish that specific enemy types (and bosses) only have a single potential finisher animation, but require you to use the finisher up to 3 or 4 times over the course of the fight.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Platinum'd the game. Fairly easy.

9/10

I think this is one of the best of the comic book superhero stories. They set it up from the beginning real well. Certainly better than Arkham, which seems like most of the side-bosses, like Riddler, aren't integrated well into the story. They certainly set up the next game. My bet is...

It will be about Venom and Green Goblin, and Miles will have to fight Venom Spiderman to save him.

The game just has some clunkiness in the controls, which is a result of having too much moves, and it has a few poor design decisions.

Nymphae

Banned
I just walked up to a Black Cat mission thing on a rooftop, and MJ called right as I was about to do the mission. I decided to skip her phone call after she started talking, and did the black cat thing. After I took the picture, Peter calls MJ back and says "Sorry about that, what were you saying?" and the dialog continues, nice little touch there. I also really like the dual recordings for dialog spoken while swinging vs just standing or walking around, that is such a great touch.

Last edited:

Wonkytonk

Even if it worked, if you have to cheat to get an achievement, have you actually achieved anything?
And, why does it mean so much to you to have a little virtual icon saying you did something (that you actually didn't) that you're willing to put the effort in to game the system over it?

Good grief, you’re taking this all far too seriously.

Wonkytonk

I think you need to buy everything in the game to get the trophy. Buying a suit then loading the game will just go back to you not buying the suit and it wont count. Just got the plat yesterday, it was fun although the crime side missions are exhausting to complete. Good thing I red about powerpyx guide about not buying anything until the end to make upgrades and suits trophies easier to obtain.

Thanks for your reply. I missed the Powerpyx guide, unfortunately. Meh, never mind.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Started it yesterday and like it so far. Game looks decent and plays very well.

But again after God of War I am a tad bit disappointed by the HDR implementation. It's pretty good but not even close as mindblowing as in Horizon. What gives? Sony is slacking.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Thanks for your reply. I missed the Powerpyx guide, unfortunately. Meh, never mind.
Thank god I didn't. Missed it from ACO and then had to farm those small items to sell for weeks. Vouched to wait a bit for trophy roadmaps before starting a game after that.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

For those going for Platinum, PowerPyx guide says to not spend any base or challenge tokens, but if you complete all of the bonus object for the bases (except one), and you get gold on half of the challenges, you can still complete the Platinum.

Honestly, getting gold on some of the challenges are easy, and the base objects are really easy.

Wonkytonk

Said the guy who needs a digital postage stamp so badly.

I mean, I’m confused as to where you’ve got this “so badly” nonsense from— I merely asked a question as I’ve completed pretty much everything else in the game, it’d make sense to finish the final bit off, if at all possible. Hearing that I need to do these extra challenges means that I actually won’t be going for the Platinum, completely debunking your whole argument.

However, you’re perpetually superior to me in the wake of your digital postage stamp views— congratulations, you’re a legend.

Zewp

The chase sequences are really pissing me off. The game seems to have an arbitrary timer that needs to run out before you can get the prompt to finish the chase sequence, like with the birds or the drones. Any time you get too close to the bird or drone, it suddenly speeds up and flies far out of reach.

Just let me catch the stuff. If I'm close enough to catch it within 10 seconds of the sequence starting, don't script the object to get a magical burst of speed so that I can't catch it yet.

WaterAstro

The chase sequences are really pissing me off. The game seems to have an arbitrary timer that needs to run out before you can get the prompt to finish the chase sequence, like with the birds or the drones. Any time you get too close to the bird or drone, it suddenly speeds up and flies far out of reach.

Just let me catch the stuff. If I'm close enough to catch it within 10 seconds of the sequence starting, don't script the object to get a magical burst of speed so that I can't catch it yet.
Well, the drones from the challenge are meant to fly faster if you get closer. You're just chasing it to the end point.

Can't help ya with birds. I do cut corners and catch them pretty easily. I'm pretty good with swinging too. The boosted point jump is really powerful.

Top Bottom