• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Verse |OT| Every Spider-Man Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drayco21

Spider-Girl artist Ron Frenz had a pretty candid interview about his thoughts on Mayday's use in Spider-Verse.

"There was more than one editor in our run of 'Spider-Girl' who thought it would be great to kill Pete because then it gives her the whole tragic origin just like his. The very first annual, Tom DeFalco and Pat Olliffe did that cover with Mary Jane and Pete laying dead, and Spider-Girl's kneeling there mourning them, and they did it deliberately to 1) give the editor's what they wanted in the shocking cover, and 2) stick it to them because it didn't happen in the story. It was a story with Misery and she's showing May her worst fears.

“Our problem with it is, if you take away the family, then you have taken away the core of what Spider-Girl stories are about. The same way Spider-Man stories are about 'With great power, there must also come great responsibility,' Spider-Girl stories are about family and the positive aspects of being a superhero. That it does affect your life in a negative way, that it's hard, but that it's worth doing.

“Pete learned through the death of Uncle Ben that if he doesn't act, people die; Mayday learned in her first couple of issues that when she does act, people live. That subtle, but significant difference put her in a much more positive and proactive headspace, which was pretty much the whole vibe of the MC2 Universe. MC2 was unabashedly a universe wherein heroes existed and helped make the world a better place, so that a second generation of people who get powers are inspired to do the same thing."

Full interview here. I thought this was a fairly interesting perspective on the event, and the modern comics industry.

Xenocthul

Spider-Girl artist Ron Frenz had a pretty candid interview about his thoughts on Mayday's use in Spider-Verse.

Full interview here. I thought this was a fairly interesting perspective on the event, and the modern comics industry.

That actually was a pretty good interview even if it could be summed up as screw Dan Slott and screw the current trend in comic events.

Based on solicitations, it's going on well into January. The trade comes out May 12.

The same way Osborn keeps coming back- the Oz in his system causes him to heal and get back, though there appears to be someone tampering with his body. It doesn't seem like Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man is tying into Spider-Verse, so I don't think they brought him back to impact this storyline.

aah, I was actually just asking to find out, I figured this thread would be a good place to find out why. I really dislike that creative decision, (ultimate spidey spoiler incoming)
I used to read comics as a kid so, no death is forever, but I was really hoping it would be in the Ultimate verse. fwiw, I haven't read Miles Morales Ult. Spidey yet, but it felt like this time the death of pete parker would carry some real weight. Guess not, at least, and sadly, not by him staying dead.

I thought hostess cupcake spider man getting the axe was the high point, but
newspaper spider man
showing up beat it handily.

"What's wrong with this place? the simplest of actions could take days! WEEKS even!"

Drayco21

Previews for next week's books:

Amazing Spider-Man #9:

SPIDER-VERSE BEGINS HERE!

• Superstar artist OLIVIER COIPEL (THOR, SIEGE, HOUSE OF M) joins DAN SLOTT to bring you the biggest spider-event ever!

• When a force of evil threatens spider-characters throughout the multiverse, EVERY SPIDER-MAN EVER is needed to save the day!
ASM2014010-int2-2-29e69.jpg
ASM2014010-int2-3-f263a.jpg

Scarlet Spiders #1:

Together for the first time! Amidst the chaos of Spider-Verse, three fan-favorite characters unite for a desperate mission into the unknown in SCARLET SPIDERS #1! And not all of them are going to make it back! From creators Mike Costa and Paco Diaz – Kaine, Ben Reilly and Ultimate Jessica Drew must unite for a deadly operation behind enemy lines. When the Spiders discover one of the technological secrets that make Morlun and his family so powerful, it’s up to the Scarlet Spiders to go deep behind enemy lines into one of the twisted realms Morlun’s family rules to shut it down. If they fail, every Spider from across the multiverse will face certain death! What horrors await them across the multiverse? Find out in November as Kaine, Ben Reilly and Ultimate Jessica Drew swing into action in SCARLET SPIDERS #1!

Spider-Woman #1:

New Ongoing Series/Spider-Verse Tie-In! Jessica Drew has been an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., and agent of S.W.O.R.D., an Avenger and so much more. But nothing could prepare her for the multidimensional insanity that is Spider-Verse! A war is brewing, and every spider-character in the multiverse is a target! But being a target is something Jessica Drew just won’t abide. She’s a woman with a mission and with Silk, the newest spider-character on the block at her side, she’ll have to put all her training to the test if she wants to make it out of Spider-Verse alive!

SPIDER-VERSE KICKS OFF A NEW ONGOING SERIES!

• Dennis Hopeless (CABLE & X-FORCE, AVENGERS: ARENA) and Greg Land (UNCANNY X-MEN) bring you a universe spanning adventure starring Jessica Drew Spider-Woman and the newest spider-hero, SILK!

Also, if you find yourself wondering where Venom is during all of this, since he's sorta the most popular Spider-Man spin-off character, don't worry- he's up in space next week, where Bendis is ruining him.

Drayco21

So can anyone give me a guide as to were I can start with all this?

For just this story, the books in the OP in chronological order. For all the build-up to this point, here's a more complex reading order. You only need what's in the op for this though.

Sorry for not being more specific. If you want to just jump in at the start of the event, you'll be fine, but here's a more comprehensive timeline breakdown for you:

Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2 #30-58
The first part of J. Michael Straczynski's run on Spider-Man, this series will introduce the concept of totemic spider-gods, introduce you to Morlun and Ezekial and begin to introduce the concept of the Web of Life and Spider-Man's impact and role in it.

Amazing Spider-Man Volume 1 #500-
This is still part of JMS' stuff, they just wanted to go back to the first volume's numbering scheme because 500 is a much more impressive sounding milestone than 59. The key arcs here are The Book of Ezekial (#506-508) and The Other (#525-528). The rest is all flavor text if you find yourself enjoying the run, but those two storylines are essential for the same reason as the above.

The Gauntlet and Grim Hunt (Amazing #608-637)
This storyline mostly is meant to reintroduce and evolve classic Spidey villains like Electro, Rhino and Kraven, but it also brings back the Web of Life from JMS' stuff. It's super important to the status quo of the Spider-Family today; it's where the current Spider-Girl, Madame Web and Scarlet Spider's stories really begin.

Spider Island (Amazing #663-673)
Dan Slott's first major arc in Spider-Man, this is where Scarlet Spider comes into his own as a character, and leads into the next big thing;

Superior Spider-Man (Amazing #698-700, Superior Spider-Man #1-31)
This is where Superior Spider-Man comes from, how Spider-Man 2099 gets to where he is, explains what happened to Peter Parker most recently in the comics, and is the most recent major arc that will have huge repercussions here in Spider-Verse.

Scarlet Spider Vol 2 #1-25
This follows Kaine, from the above storylines, as he goes to Houston. It further expands on the concept of The Other, introduced in the second set of JMS' stories here, and brings everything up to speed.

The Current Spider Books- Amazing Vol 3 #1-6, Spider-Man 2099 #1-5, New Warriors #1-12
These are the most recent happenings to the characters on the road to Spider-Verse.

Sorry I wasn't more specific in the OP, hopefully this helps you out.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Morloin works if its the all-pig version universe. If it's Larval Earth, maybe Morloon.

Which reminds me... there should be two Spider-Hams in this series, Spider-Ham and Ultimate Spider-Ham.
One (the original from the mid-'80s/Larval Earth) was a spider that was bitten by a radioactive pig. The other was a pig bitten by a spider. The original had a supporting cast that consisted of many types of animals. The second was all-pigs-all-the-time. (I know you know that.)
We've been cheated.

As someone trying to jump into the Spiderman Comic landscape. Would this be a good place to jump in? or should I finish reading Superior Spider-Man and catch up on All New X-Men

Drayco21

Spider-Family Solicitations for February 2015 confirm that the story will be ending that month:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #14 & 15
DAN SLOTT (W) • Issue #14 - OLIVIER COIPEL (A)
CoverS by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI
Variant Cover by GABRIELE Dell’Otto
VARIANT COVER BY PHIL NOTO
Marvel Animation Variant by JEFF WAMESTER
Issue #15 - GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI (A)
VARIANT COVER BY Simone Bianchi
ISSUE #14 -
• THE CLIMACTIC CONCLUSION TO SPIDER-VERSE!
• The Prophecy is coming to fruition but Superior Spider-Man has something up his sleeve.
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
ISSUE #15 -
• SPIDER-VERSE EPILOGUE
• See the fallout of Spider-Verse and what it means to Peter Parker and the rest of the Spiders!
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

SPIDER-GWEN #1
JASON LATOUR (W) • ROBBIE RODRIGUEZ (A/C)
VARIANT COVER BY KRIS ANKA
YOUNG VARIANT BY SKOTTIE YOUNG
VARIANT COVER BY ADAM HUGHES
BLANK VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE
SPIDER-GWEN SPINS INTO HER OWN SERIES!
• BECAUSE YOU DEMANDED IT! The breakout hit of the biggest Spider-Event of the century is taking comic shops by storm this winter with her own new ongoing series – SPIDER-GWEN!
• Gwen Stacy is Spider-Woman, but you knew that already. What you DON’T know is what friends and foes are waiting for her in the aftermath of Spider-Verse!
• From the fan-favorite creative team that brought you Spider-Gwen’s origin story in EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE, Jason Latour and Robbie Rodriguez!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

SILK #1
ROBBIE THOMPSON (W) • STACEY LEE (A)
Cover by DAVE JOHNSON
Variant cover by Stacey Lee
YOUNG VARIANT BY SKOTTIE YOUNG
Cindy Moon exploded out of her bunker and into the Marvel Universe when we first learned that she had been bitten by that same radioactive spider in the first arc of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. She then went on to save Peter Parker’s life (more than once!) and traverse the Spider-verse alongside Spider-Woman. Now, as SILK, Cindy is on her own in New York City, searching for her past, defining her own future, and webbing up wrong-doers along the way! Robbie Thompson (writer from TV’s Supernatural) fills this new ongoing series with his unique blend of antics and feels. Featuring stunning covers by Eisner Award winner Dave Johnson and interiors by future superstar Stacey Lee.
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

SPIDER-MAN 2099 #9
PETER DAVID (W) • WILLIAM SLINEY (A)
Cover by FRANCESCO MATTINA
• Miguel O’Hara returns to the year 2099 to discover that his future is now... imperfect!
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

SPIDER-WOMAN #4
DENNIS HOPELESS (W) • GREG LAND (A/C)
SPIDER-VERSE EPILOGUE!
• Jessica comes out of Spider-Verse changed, but what can she do now? Don’t miss this character-defining chapter!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

As someone trying to jump into the Spiderman Comic landscape. Would this be a good place to jump in? or should I finish reading Superior Spider-Man and catch up on All New X-Men

You can jump in here, assuming you're okay knowing that there are going to be quite a few references to stuff that you haven't read before. Comics these days are pretty good at working as standalone products, even while referencing other stuff.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Marvel subscriptions hasn't even sent me ASM #9 yet. I'm going to try to get a refund tomorrow. It's totally fucking up this event for me.

Deadly

Issue today was amazing. Really can't wait for the next one.
Superior vs Amazing!??!

I think this is the best event Marvel currently has. While the Hickman Avengers/New Avengers is cool too, it's kinda playing the long game and Axis has been pretty meh so far.

Drayco21

Issue today was amazing. Really can't wait for the next one.
Superior vs Amazing!??!

I think this is the best event Marvel currently has. While the Hickman Avengers/New Avengers is cool too, it's kinda playing the long game and Axis has been pretty meh so far.

Yeah, this week's Amazing was really solid- can't wait for the fallout to that last page to play out.

Shame Spider-Woman is so goddamn terrible though. I expected crap from Hopeless and Land, but this is even worse than I assumed, and it's clearly just setting up for
Anya to die

lazygecko

I don't like Silk. Her origin feels very token in that they just needed something Spider-Man related to tie into that Watcher crossover event. She feels like a redundant character who only dilutes things and her only purpose was to trigger Morlun's return.

Drayco21

Alternatively:
Otto hacks the Inheritors' cloning tech to duplicate himself and sends the clone back in time

Otto made it pretty clear to Kaine that he sees clones as genetic abominations, and he would never sink so low as to sully his SUPERIOR genes by allowing himself to be polluted with cloning.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Otto made it pretty clear to Kaine that he sees clones as genetic abominations, and he would never sink so low as to sully his SUPERIOR genes by allowing himself to be polluted with cloning.

Otto likes existing too though.

Drayco21

Otto likes existing too though.

I suppose the Inheritor's
cloning tech probably works differently than most other tech in the Marvel Universe- clones are usually treated as unique people just based on the same genetic matter, Deimos seems to just be the exact same person/mind/ect, and Morlun's on his third self at the very least. Maybe it's different enough for him to mentally justify it.

Otto really doesn't like Kaine what with that whole murdering him thing.

True, but he also
was just as much a dick to that Gwen Stacy and then set her up to die.

MisterHero

Joke's on Sony, Tobey Maguire Spider-Man cameoed in Ultimate Spider-Man's comic a long time ago.

Marvel can use Ultimate Tobey Maguire

Busaiku

So does anyone know when this takes place?
Obviously after Original Sin, but with Peter (and most likely Jessica) being involved in stuff like Axis, and then X-Men stuff next month, as well as Miles in All New X-Men, I'm so lost.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Obviously after Original Sin, but with Peter (and most likely Jessica) being involved in stuff like Axis, and then X-Men stuff next month, as well as Miles in All New X-Men, I'm so lost.

Incredibly hard to tell nowadays, but definitely pre-Time Runs Out.

Incredibly hard to tell nowadays, but definitely pre-Time Runs Out.

I wanna say spider verse is last chronologically, since Spider Man is in AXIS, desperately looking for allies and coming up with no one but geriatric steve rogers and C-list villains. Silk and 2099 are nowhere to be found- and we know both survive spider-verse from upcoming solicitations.

the most logical conclusion (other than this event just existing in its own little sandbox) is that they haven't met up yet.

edit: ugh, the Xmen taking over manhattan for weeks or whatever doesn't fit with anyone, anywhere, in any current book. Fuck this event.

Drayco21

Well, Spider-UK
is dead as of New Avengers,
so this comes before Time Runs Out.

It could theoretically fit before or after Axis, but I feel like it's safe to assume it comes after it- I just feel like it flows better that way. Remender's stuff isn't being paid attention to very well as far as timelines are concerned- as we saw with normal Captain America being present when Thor loses his hammer in Original Sin, while old Captain America and still-worthy Thor had appeared in the build up to Axis.

Drayco21

This week's issue of Amazing is already a strong contender for my personal book of the month.

RIP
Cosmic Spider-Man and Spider-Monkey though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom