• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman on PS4 is by far.....

RAIDEN1

(compared to the most recent entry in the Batman series of games..) The better game! It was my birthday today, and I decided to get into Spiderman for the PS4 having recently purchased it, and without I doubt I found it more enjoyable swinging through N.Y then flying around the dark and dingy Gotham City, a few years ago...yeah I know you don't get the car combat even so Spiderman just seems a whole lot more "vibrant"...

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Ultimately I prefer the combat in Arkham Knight but I can see why someone might prefer Spiderman.

But oh man it was so good, I should really replay it. Spiderman I mean. I've already replayed Arkham Knight 5 times lol

Mista

Banned
Great decision. I loved the game and the DLC's

And I agree on the Batman games too. I only enjoyed Arkham City because it was very well made

Yoboman

I felt the Arkham games had more interesting side content, felt way more fleshed out. Spidey felt a bit like they were holding back on content

AK is the better game but Spiderman has some nice cinematic flourishes that Rocksteady seems to struggle with. Both are amazing games though and I've been meaning to play back through spidey again.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Still haven't gotten around to it. Thats high praise OP cuz Arkham Knight was brilliant. Its lowkey one of the best stealth games (not so much for the casual easy stuff in the campaign, but all the extra missions they added later)

Grinchy

Banned
I really hope when I try it again I can get into it more. I was just so tired of that Batman formula already and so Spiderman didn't really grab me in the first few hours.

Maybe I'll boot it up again one of these days and change my mind.

Keihart

Never been a fan of Ballerina on Steroids Batman so i can easily agree with you, it was a really good game and considering it's just the first game, Insomniac might flesh it out a lot more in sequels.

nowhat

I really hope when I try it again I can get into it more. I was just so tired of that Batman formula already and so Spiderman didn't really grab me in the first few hours.

Maybe I'll boot it up again one of these days and change my mind.
You really should give it a new go. I was kind of struggling with it at first - sure, the traversal is fun (especially later when you unlock more relevant skills), but I tried to play it like a Batman game when it comes to combat. That doesn't work, and was never intended to work. There's no "counter". You need to keep being mobile, and later on when you unlock more gadgets/skills/suit powers the combat can be so satisfying. I'm not a trophy hunter by any means, but it's one of the few games I've platinumed. Simply because dicking around Manhattan as Spider-Man is just so fun. (I'll admit much of the side content is your typical open-world fluff though)

Fbh

That clickbait thread title.

But yeah, I liked it better too. I think it did more with the open world and I liked the story better and I enjoyed the combat more too (also the whole jumping around combat style fits better with Spiderman anyway).

Arkham Knight was a let down IMO. The story was terrible, the tank was used way too much and the city still feels like a big and mostly empty videogame level as opposed to a city. There was no excuse this gen for having the city be empty again.

Ozrimandias

(compared to the most recent entry in the Batman series of games..) The better game! It was my birthday today, and I decided to get into Spiderman for the PS4 having recently purchased it, and without I doubt I found it more enjoyable swinging through N.Y then flying around the dark and dingy Gotham City, a few years ago...yeah I know you don't get the car combat even so Spiderman just seems a whole lot more "vibrant"...
Yeah, honestly better than any Arkham.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I liked both a lot. Really can't pick one over the other but I platinumed Spiderman and missed Batmans by like one or two trophies.

LostDonkey

I platinumed spiderman. it was a slog.

Started off great but became very same and grindy late on.

The new one doesn't Interest me I feel like that was enough of that.

RAIDEN1

I personally couldn't get into the Batman games, even with Arkham Origins, which was late in the 360/PS3 life-cycle, for a while it was ok, I was nearly going to get Horizon Zero Dawn, but then I thought lets see what the fuss is about with this PS4 title, and aside from getting used to the combat mechanics, and swinging around, its definitely more engaging than the Arkhams ever was for me...

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
I do prefer the Batman series. The combat feels more visceral, u feel more badass afte kicking 10 bad guys asses. I think the environments are also more atmospheric.
Also, AK gets a bad rap but is a great game IMO.

That being said, I also really like Spiderman. It's a well made game by a great studio.

I know we live in polarizing times....but I can like both!!

sol_bad

Can we stop with the clickbait thread titles?
:)

Game is great but Insomniac really need to work and improve on their side missions, they became tiresome.
Is the DLC worth getting?

Vildiil

I personally prefer the Batman games, I enjoy the combat more in them. Spider-Man is pretty fun though, swinging through nyc is cool.

Iced Arcade

Love both but the Arkham series has amazing level of small details and side missions that never felt like they were taced on side missions. Arkham Knight hurt itself with the forced bat tank missions.

We also wouldn't have that spiderman game without the Arkham series..

ZZZZ

Not sure if i would put Spiderman above Arkham City, i really liked both of them honestly.

Last edited:

Strider311

Look, I loved Spider-Man. Hell of a game. But nothing beats the Arkham Series for me. IMO Knight was comic book action perfection.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
marvels-spider-man-screen-02-ps4-us-29mar18

DonF

I enjoy the combat in Arkham way more. Spiderman has the same problem many Sony exclusives have. The game has an awful pace. It's just toooo slow for long stretches. I sometimes have like an hour just to play, and when I play one hour of spider, I feel like I don't advance the game at all.
Also, unnecessary things like the hacking in the lab. Game has too many stuff going on. The open world, hacking, level up, I just it's too much.

FranXico

The biggest problem the Batman games lately is that Gotham is deserted.

That is a big appeal in Spiderman. You can walk around a convincing vibrant New York that is full of life.

The core gameplay is excellent, it provided great fun for many hours though it does become a grind later on like others say, especially if you are going for the platinum. Though having said that I did do the grind, where in other games I'd have cast it aside.

They need to balance the next game better, though this one is certainly not to be missed.

I have the platinum and soon will 100% the last DLC. Debating about the two NG+ trophies.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's on par with arkham asylum and better than the other batman games, at least in the traversal and combat.

It is the only free flow combat system that i actually enjoyed.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I'd die for a Venom/Carnage game for real... How come the villains are always way more interesting than the main heroes?

Kamina

Golden Boy
It really looked interesting, but i never was interested enough to buy it. But i plan on giving it a shot with the PS5 version.

Humdinger

I tried to get into Spider-Man but couldn't. It just didn't click for me. Didn't enjoy the combat or the setting. I only played a couple hours, though. I might not have been in the right frame of mind, or I might not have given the game enough of a chance. I'll try again someday.

Roufianos

I think Spiderman's gameplay is just as good but Asylum and City both had much more memorable campaigns.

There's only a handful of missions I even remember from Spiderman because most were pretty unremarkable.

SSfox

I played the game just a month ago, and i think it's great, but not perfect, also imo Batman AK series are overall better games, and some of the best games ever made, and best in the comic book genre.

Without going too deep, Spiderman was overall amazing game, but for example the MJ and Miles gameplay parts were a little bit pushy sometimes, if Insomniac are planning to keep those kind of secondary characters sections, they need to at least think about improving those gameplay wise.

But yeah overall i loved the game, i'm actually going back to it after TLOU2 since i didn't finish all DLCs story and some side quests.

Something i would love to see in the next game is the possibilty to play other cool characters in some kind of challenge mode, like Octo, Black Cat and others.

Zimmy68

I loved, LOVED, loved the Spidey PS4 game but the Batman Arkham games mop the floor with it.
The combat, upgrades, villians, locations, story, etc.
No fault to Spidey, it is just easier to make that type of game when you are dealing with Batman lore.

FranXico

I'd die for a Venom/Carnage game for real... How come the villains are always way more interesting than the main heroes?
The fact that villains, by nature, have flawed morals means that writers have to put more effort into conveying their motivations and even making them relatable sometimes. There is just a lot more potential for interesting characters there.

ZywyPL

Banned
The fact that villains, by nature, have flawed morals means that writers have to put more effort into conveying their motivations and even making them relatable sometimes. There is just a lot more potential for interesting characters there.

Yeah like, they always have a deep background, a motive, an agenda, same applies to anti-heroes and anti-villains, whereas the main heros 99,99% of the time are not even average Joes, they just accidentally possessed great powers and decided to save the world from now on, and that's pretty much it, there's nothing really deep behind them, it's lust so lame.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Yeah it’s a great game. Really love all the characters and dynamics. Also its the open world game with the most fun way to get from point A to point B.

Spider-Man working with the cops is a huge part of this game, his main friend is a lady cop, wonder if they will throw out all this stuff due to politics. Would be a shame it’s done so well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom