• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman or Tomb Raider?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Also, you just know that there's going to be a Spiderman revision game that they release with the next Marvel movie that actually addresses all the inevitable problems with the first game. The first revisions of games are often the best ones: they're polished but still fresh enough where everything hasn't got completely old.

I think that’s true of many multiplatform games. First party games tend to be pretty polished in recent years from all three platform holders. Sony especially as games like God of War, Uncharted 4 etc were great at launch.

Tomb Raider is more likely to have issues probably and to get more DLC and have a complete version released. Sony has trended toward DLCs being standalones for a while with TLOU’s DLC, Infamous First Light, Uncharted Last Legacy (included with season pass but morphed into, mid-priced game) or having no DLC like God of War.

In any case, I think both of these games will be great in day one so you can’t really go wrong. TR is more likely to be $30-40 by the holiday sales though as Sony has been slower with sales on their games.

dirthead

Banned
I think that’s true of many multiplatform games. First party games tend to be pretty polished in recent years from all three platform holders. Sony especially as games like God of War, Uncharted 4 etc were great at launch.

Tomb Raider is more likely to have issues probably and to get more DLC and have a complete version released. Sony has trended toward DLCs being standalones for a while with TLOU’s DLC, Infamous First Light, Uncharted Last Legacy (included with season pass but morphed into, mid-priced game) or having no DLC like God of War.

In any case, I think both of these games will be great in day one so you can’t really go wrong. TR is more likely to be $30-40 by the holiday sales though as Sony has been slower with sales on their games.

Eh, the first Uncharted was basically a piece of shit and then 2 was good, so I don't think so. I see it happening with first party games just as often as 3rd party. And then you have stuff like Arkham Asylum where it's 3rd party and the first game was the best.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Eh, the first Uncharted was basically a piece of shit

That explains the 88 metacritic. Most publishers would kill for a 88/100 game, that's higher than 95% of MS first party games this gen..

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
That explains the 88 metacritic. Most publishers would kill for a 88/100 game, that's higher than 95% of MS first party games this gen..

Given that media publishers are all bribed or too afraid of getting cut off to give negative reviews, an 88 metacritic is actually pretty bad.

Basically, in that industry, a score below 90 basically means that the game was indie/wasn't hyped or is a terrible AAA game. Fucking Dark Souls 2 is sitting at 91 metacritic and the game's a piece of trash. A lot of terrible AAA games are in the 90s. That means nothing.

The first Uncharted is actually remarkably similar to the 4th one. Awful big budget game released for a platform that desperately needed exclusives so there was immense pressure put on the media to go easy on it. They greased a lot of wheels for those games.

LOLCats

Banned
definitely not tomb raider...rehashed same same sames. it will be 15$ or less before you know it. Spiderman im sure will be pretty great. But ya im not even getting that until its way cheaper.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Tomb Raider without a doubt. Spiderman is just some other movie to games product. If it wasn't exclusive then no one talked about it.

trikster40

I don’t know why people keep comparing this Spider-Man to games of the past. Different devs, so it’s apples to oranges.

WaterAstro

If your Spiderman judgement is based on your past game experience, know that this is a completely different company and publisher doing this. It is an entirely new Spiderman game.

kingbean

We've had 2 decent tomb raider games in 5 years and 0 good (assuming, but I trust insomniac) Spiderman games.

So I'd go Spiderman.

Spider-Man. Swinging mechanic looks great, story looks fun and this is the first game in hopefully what becomes an ongoing series. Tomb Raider might be great, but you know the basic formula. Also you should be able to get Tomb Raider for $30 on Black Friday if you live in the US.

Neolombax

I'd say Spiderman. The last Tomb Raider was a disappointment for me, I may wait for a deep sale for that one.

Spiderman looks better but both look fun to play. The new Tomb Raider hopefully brings more magic of the original games.

And Forza scores better than Gran Turismo but guess what happens when that gets brought up? The last Tomb Raider is a much better 'game' than the original Uncharted. Uncharted is dated and does not hold up well because the gameplay isn't very good. It's a silly game that excels in charter development and storytelling but the gameplay is nothing to brag about. Spiderman on the other hand looks better than all those games.

Last edited:
Just wait for Spiderman to come out and see how the open world is structured. If you think it will interest you get it, if not don't. There is no reason you would need to buy this game a month out of release.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Tomb Raider is more of the same, Spider-Man is going to be Epic

onlyoneno1

Of course the Tomb Raider, its going to be a thrilling end to an action packed trilogy. If you are limited on budget, otherwise get both.

I love Insomniac but for the life of me i cannot get excited about a spiderman game. Web slinging must not be in my blood lol. Im all in on Tomb Raider though. I dont mind the same formula because i enjoyed rise of the tomb raider so much.

Kenpachii

Super hero game which are always terrible, or tomb raider which has been terrible already for a while now.

In other words keep your cash both games will be on discount in half a year for nothing.

Depends how much OP likes spider-man or tomb raider, me personally I like both and I would buy both day one but like others have said I think tomb raider will drop in price very quickly 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Last edited:

Chaostar

The tomb raider reboots have, for me, been uninspired, humourless, forgettable, mediocre games with generic, derivative 3rd person shooter gameplay and awful narrative. I still bought both and enjoyed them for what they were (terrible MP and time trial bollocks aside) but they're a country mile behind the Uncharted games they obviously aspire to be. On a positive note they have at least been technically impressive and good showcases for the 4K systems.

I have no idea if Spider-Man will live up to the hype but the developer pedigree combined with extremely positive first impressions suggests to me that this will easily be the better game of the two.

AlexxKidd

The tomb raider reboots have, for me, been uninspired, humourless, forgettable, mediocre games with generic, derivative 3rd person shooter gameplay and awful narrative. I still bought both and enjoyed them for what they were (terrible MP and time trial bollocks aside) but they're a country mile behind the Uncharted games they obviously aspire to be. On a positive note they have at least been technically impressive and good showcases for the 4K systems.

I have no idea if Spider-Man will live up to the hype but the developer pedigree combined with extremely positive first impressions suggests to me that this will easily be the better game of the two.

I agree with every word here.

The tomb raider reboots have, for me, been uninspired, humourless, forgettable, mediocre games with generic, derivative 3rd person shooter gameplay and awful narrative. I still bought both and enjoyed them for what they were (terrible MP and time trial bollocks aside) but they're a country mile behind the Uncharted games they obviously aspire to be.

A laughable statement. You blast the TR games left and right and yet you still bought the sequel and played the MP? No one who rips a game as much as you just did goes out and buys the sequel. You're just trying to play the "tough critic" card and failing at it. Also there's nothing more "uninspired" then describing a game as "uninspired"...it can mean a thousand different things and says nothing yet everyone uses the word because they've seen it used elsewhere.

For me, I know what I'm getting with TR and am very dubious on Spider Man. Seems far too plot-heavy with a lot of "interactive plot" elements (walking sim moments, ug) and I'm really not sold on the Arkham-style combat since it's pretty gimmicky and doesn't make for great action. Not to mention I don't like the talk on how the game will feature continuing content with new side quests being released...which means a lot of the better stuff and villains will likely be hidden behind an annoying paywall or season pass. Fucking hate that shit and Insomniac never pulled this stuff with previous games.

Not saying Spidey will be bad but at least I can trust TR since I know what it'll be. Not so much with Spidey.

Last edited:
I'm pretty excited to conclude the Lara Croft reboot story and I'm a sucker for steelbooks so I'll be getting that day one.
By the time I'm done with it Spiderman should drop to $30-40 for the Black Friday sales.

2hegfiw.jpg

This year's spiderman disappointed me especially in some of the fights as the combat wasn't great. First boss, button mash triangle until an animation then do it again.

quickwhips

spiderman all the way. Its one of the first games i finished in a while. Its fun and you can enjoy the story and the combat is nice once you learn it. Sorta like how batman combat was great once you learned the flow.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Don't do Tomb Raider. But don't do Spiderman. Don't do anything.

Use your voucher and buy me a light for my stream.

I command this.

Top Bottom