• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spike Chunsoft announces survival RPG Zanki Zero for PS4, PS Vita

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/spike-chunsoft-announces-survival-rpg-zanki-zero-ps4-ps-vita

Zanki-Zero-Ann_04-25-17_001.jpg

The game is being worked on by much of the Danganronpa series development staff, including Yoshinori Terasawa and Takayuki Sugawara. It is set in a ruined world and follows the story of eight survivors. Its official genre title is “nonstop zanki survival RPG.” (Editor’s Note: “Zanki” means “remaining lives.”)

(That picture's alright because it's not a scan and is from the Famitsu site, right?)

Yup that's not a scan, but I'm afraid you've beat beaten ;o

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1363781

Although the other thread does not have anwser yet so hey, that's up to the mod I guess.

Anyway, Danganronpa team = obvious interest

Ah, whoops. Two threads before mine! Shouldn't have spent all that time making sure the picture was in :p

DanganRonpa team also did the Ukiyo games for PS3/Vita that seemed to have mild reception, so although I'm interested (as I was with them), they don't seem to have had a great deal of success outside of that franchise.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I like the sound of it, also danganronpa + "zanki" = deaths >:D
I wonder if it will have some "choose the comrade to kill" mechanic like Lost Dimensions.

Could be decent but need more info before i put it on my shipping list. It's on the vita and I miss my vita so it's got a good chance.

RRockman

Banned
Was this the new project that Uchikoshi was working on? I mean I'm psyched either way, but that would sweeten the deal.

Additional info

This project has been on the back burner since about six years prior to Dananronpa 2: Goodbye Despair.

It is a post-apocalyptic survival RPG set in bright ruins.

All eight characters that make up the party can be said to be the protagonist.
The character being focused on changes for each chapter.

Lively people of old age will appear and play a big role. (Editor’s Note: Famitsu has artwork of both the protagonists and their old age forms.)

There is no transition between field exploration and the battle screen. It’s seamless.

It’s an RPG with strong action elements. It will be possible to evade enemy attacks and attack.

The main enemies are the animals that have adapted the environment of the world after it was destroyed.

You can get materials and food ingredients by defeating enemies.

There is a sheep mascot character more similar to Danganronpa‘s Monomi than Monokuma.

It is completely different from the Danganronpa series, but will similarly offer surprises.

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/spike-chunsoft-announces-survival-rpg-zanki-zero-ps4-ps-vita

Zukkoyaki

This sounds amazing! Spike Chunsoft has rocketed to the top of my favorite developers list in the past couple of years. Too bad the west probably won't see it until 2018.

PaulBizkit

I think saying "the team that brought us danganronpa" isn't saying much since those are visual novels, which are 90% dialogue and story and that was all made (as in, thought and scripted) by Kodaka.

Is kodaka part of this game's team too?

Was this the new project that Uchikoshi was working on? I mean I'm psyched either way, but that would sweeten the deal.

No, he's working on a game project that's going under the codename "Project Psync".

This RPG though definitely has me intrigued and definitely sounds like it'll have more substance to its weight. I'm hoping to hear more about it soon but I'm liking the vibrant yet post-apocalyptic setting.

This sounds cool. Always interested in any new story heavy rpg (and I'm a sucker for protagonist switching a la Suikoden III, FF VI, Arc the Lad TotS). Really though, I'm in for "lively old people" alone.

Interesting that there's art of the characters as old people as well. Makes me curious how this plays out, will certain characters live to see old age based on player actions, is it possible to have everyone survive, what. (unless their idea of old is 30+ :p)

No matter what they describe it as, I would put money on it actually being a visual novel with gimmick or puzzle based mini games.

I mean it says rpg battles with strong action elements and seamless transitions between field and battle. While there may still be puzzles and a lot of dialogue presented in VN fashion, it sounds like they're trying something new.

More info here (alternative Famitsu scan translation that sheds more light on the game):

It took God seven days to create the world.

It took mankind only one day to destroy it.

Everyday life up until yesterday has sunk into the sea.

We still don't understand why the world was destroyed and why we're still here.

Ruins drift about in this earth.

Buildings, homes, light posts.

Cars, traffic signals, and asphalt.

Modern civilization destroyed, now part of the drifting ruins on the sea.

The protagonists live on an island made of ruins, where new kinds of ruins drift one after the other.

Highlights from an interview with producer Yoshinori Terasawa and director Takayuki Sugawara:

This project has been dormant since about two years prior to Danganronpa 2. It's set in bright ruins in a post-apocalyptic survival RPG. It features eight characters who can all be considered protagonists, and we'll get to see a different character focus for each chapter. They also say that the game will feature lively old people who will be a big part of it.

As far as gameplay goes, there isn't a transition between field exploring and battle screens, as it happens seamlessly. It's an RPG with a strong action attributes. For example, you'll get to evade enemy attacks and hit them with one of your own. You'll fight animals that have adapted to the environment of the ruined world. Defeating them will get you ingredients and materials.

Rather than a Monokuma-like mascot, the game will feature a sheep that is more similar to Monomi. While it may be a completely different game than what we've seen from the Danganronpa series, the developers believe that it'll still bring a similar experience of surprises.

Zanki Zero is in development for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita. It is currently about 10% complete.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/04/2...amless-battles-post-apocalyptic-survival-rpg/

Instant buy if it is from the Danganronpa team. Sounds like it'll be something like those Steam survival games or Dragon Quest Builders but with a deeper focus on story.

Sounds very interesting!

Was hoping the Switch would replace my Vita (and 3DS, and Wii U) moving forward, but this is keeping it on life-support.

Elandyll

Banned
So it sounds lime it's action based and not turn based?

Between this and the setting plus art style... They have my curiosity.

There's a screen in famitsu that makes it look a bit like a first person dungeon crawler to me. The image doesn't really give much of an idea as to how it will actually play though, although it looks like you can have 4 person parties.

Also the lively old people part is a bit different in tone to how the rest of the art looks...

There's a screen in famitsu that makes it look a bit like a first person dungeon crawler to me. The image doesn't really give much of an idea as to how it will actually play though, although it looks like you can have 4 person parties.

Also the lively old people part is a bit different in tone to how the rest of the art looks...

...interesting?

We don't get many games where old folks play an important role in the story.

First person dungeon crawler? That's a first for Spike Chunsoft. Wonder how they will get on making an RPG, since they're primarily an adventure game developer. The art style reminds me of Danganronpa 2. Looks like the Danganronpa artist isn't working on this though, interestingly. Playing as old folks in a Japanese RPG sure is very rare too, excited to see more.

Top Bottom