• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spike Chunsoft files trademark for "Zero Escape" in USA and Europe

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
On October 2/7, 2014, Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd. filed a trademark for Zero Escape in the US and Europe respectively. The US application was entered in the Trademark Reporting and Monitoring System (TRAM) of USPTO yesterday, on October 6. A basic 1B filing (Application Based on Intent to Use). As below:

Word Mark ZERO ESCAPE
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game cartridges and discs; computer game software; electronic game software for handheld electronic devices; interactive game software; downloadable computer game programs; video disks and video tapes with recorded animated cartoons; computer software for use in relation to digital animation and special effects of images; visual recordings and audiovisual recordings featuring music and animation; downloadable comic strips
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 86413666
Filing Date October 2, 2014
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) SPIKE CHUNSOFT CO., LTD. CORPORATION JAPAN Akasaka-Tameike Tower, 2-17-7 Akasaka, Minato-ku Tokyo JAPAN 107-0052
Attorney of Record Masaru Sato
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn86413666&docId=APP20141006073820#docIndex=0&page=1

The European application is a bit different in terms of goods and services (encompasses more), but the important stuff such as game software is in there.

Trade mark information

Name: Zero Escape
Filing number: 013335583
Basis: CTM
Date of receipt: 07/10/2014
Type: Word
Nature: INDIVIDUAL
Nice classes: 9, 28, 41 ( Nice Classification )
Vienna Classification
Filing date: 07/10/2014
Registration date
Expiry date
Designation date
Filing language: Dutch
Second language: English
Application reference: BG/TM65439EU00
Trade mark status: Application under examination
Acquired distinctiveness: No

Goods and services

9 Data processing equipment; computers, computer peripherals; computer hardware; computer software; computer games; electronic games; computer games software; computer games cartridges; music, sounds, ringtones, images, games, text, signals, software, information, data and code provided by telecommunications networks, by online delivery and/or by way of the Internet and the world wide web; electronic publications [downloadable]; screensavers; wallpaper; digital photographic images; sound and/or video recordings; downloadable digital sound and/or video recordings; magnetic and/or optical data carriers, recording discs; CDs, CD-ROMs, SACDs (super audio CDs); DVDs, DVD-ROMs; DVD-audio; DVD-video; UMDs [universal media discs]; memory cards, random access memory, read only memory; solid state memory apparatus; parts and fittings for all the aforementioned goods; animated cartoons; animated films.

28 Gaming apparatus for use with television receivers and/or monitors; interactive educational games for use with television receivers and/or monitors.

41 Providing a searchable internet database for games and online gaming, also online; organization, management or arrangement of video game events; electronic games services; providing a computer game that may be accessed by users on a global network and/or the internet; providing information on-line relating to computer games and computer enhancements for games; on-line entertainment services including providing information to game players about the ranking of their scores of games through the web sites; entertainment services including providing temporary use of non-downloadable interactive games; providing interactive multi-player computer games via the internet and electronic communication networks; providing newsletters in the field of computer games via e-mail; on-line services providing games on computer network; providing on-line information in the field of computer gaming entertainment; providing electronic publications via communication; providing electronic publications; publishing of computer game software and video games software; animation production services; special effects animation services for film and video; creating animated cartoons; production of animated cartoons; production of animated cine-film clips; production of animated motion pictures; production of animated programmes for use on television and cable; services in the production of animated motion picture entertainment; services in the production of animated motion pictures and television features; providing online non-downloadable comic books and graphic novels.
Source: https://oami.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/013335583

Kotaro-san spoke in February about difficulties realizing a sequel to Virtue's Last Reward, as you can read about here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=768470

As for the status of Operation Bluebird, I don't know much, but I haven't seen any recent news about ZE3 (from TGS etc.). These trademark filings do not necessarily have to mean the problems have been resolved, and can be for something different entirely, but it's at least a step in the right direction.

L~A

Series is already known as Zero Escape in NA, though not in Europe (because we never got 999).

I don't think this means much, sadly, just Spike-Chunsoft doing what they should have done ages ago.

Holykael1

Banned
I choose to believe ZE3 will never happen. It's easier this way.

I wish I could do that, it would be a momentary strong feeling of despair instead of the continuous small streams of despair created by hoping that someday the game will be made.

I recently finished DanganRonpa 2

Zero Escape 3.
I still believe.
I want to get a fitting conclusion to ALL THE PLOT THREADS from VLR. And, by extension, 999, although that one was fine on its own.

God damn, I need to replay those games. I love them to death.
Such a shame that PALiens got the Japanese voices for VLR, at least for the 3DS version.

Oh god please...

Zero Escape 3.
I still believe.
I want to get a fitting conclusion to ALL THE PLOT THREADS from VLR. And, by extension, 999, although that one was fine on its own.

God damn, I need to replay those games. I love them to death.
Such a shame that PALiens got the Japanese voices for VLR, at least for the 3DS version.

The Japanese voices were great. I went back to listen to the English voices and didn't like them at all.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Really hope this means something.
Someone should ask @Uchikoshi_Eng what's up?

Holykael1

Banned
Oh god please...

The Japanese voices were great. I went back to listen to the English voices and didn't like them at all.

I played with the English voices and then went back and tried the Japanese voices and I didn't like them as much. It's only natural that you wouldn't like one set of voices after getting used to the other.

Phatcorns

There's literally no way zero escape 3 won't happen at least in some form. There's some things in life you just know. And this is one of those things I'm completely sure of. Just be patient. It'll happen.

RiggyRob

Series is already known as Zero Escape in NA, though not in Europe (because we never got 999).

I don't think this means much, sadly, just Spike-Chunsoft doing what they should have done ages ago.

It's out worldwide on iOS - this is probably them putting VLR on iOS too.

Bricky

One day we will get real news about Zero Escape 3, but until that day comes this just puts salt on the wound.

I don't know, I liked the Japanese voices too, but when I saw that the English voice cast included some high profile names like Troy Baker and Laura Bailey, I was immediately intrigued.
The fact that the 3DS is region locked makes this even worse.

It's out worldwide on iOS - this is probably them putting VLR on iOS too.

Who wants to play 999 without the puzzles, though?

MLH

I can't imagine anything SpikeChunsoft does for Europe/ NA with regards to copyrights/ trademarks would indicate anything new coming from Japan, but...

I want to believe!

I don't know, I liked the Japanese voices too, but when I saw that the English voice cast included some high profile names like Troy Baker and Laura Bailey, I was immediately intrigued.
The fact that the 3DS is region locked makes this even worse.

Who wants to play VLR without the puzzles ?
This is an horrible port, seriously...

MLH

Seriously.
I've been thinking about other ways Uchikoshi could realize ZE3 - through comic strip, novel or other medium, but non come close to a VN game. Exploring your options during escape sequences and the thrill of solving the puzzles just can't be replicated via any other medium IMO.

Honestly, having played 999 on ios and VLR on the vita, I'd rather play VLR without the puzzles. Having been stumped in a room for over 90 minutes because there was a shitty darts puzzle that had me pulling my hair isn't exactly my type of fun.

However, if you want to make an argument for how 999 is better on the DS due to how the game takes advantage of the hardware, i'll back you on that. When i read about the key differences between 999 ios and DS, the one thing i wished i had experienced was how the hardware fit into the narrative. that stuff isn't quite as effective on ios, but if the ios version is the only way you can experience 999 then it's still better than nothing.

VLR for phones, you know it

yup, here comes VLR: the Visual Novel. Might actually be better than the original, tbh.

Korigama

An iOS port of VLR that will be just as half-assed as 999's "port" (and no, I don't consider garbage that isn't the same game, or even a game at all anymore, better than nothing).

LAA

ZE3 happening?!

Don't really mind if it's an iOS port or not, at least it increases chances of ZE3 happening. Just put it on android too if you want me to support it, ha ha.

I'm sure ZE3 will exist in some form though. If not as a game, I would Uchikoshi can at least just put the script online or something.

I played with the English voices and then went back and tried the Japanese voices and I didn't like them as much. It's only natural that you wouldn't like one set of voices after getting used to the other.

I just generally don't like playing some games with English voices, sometimes they go overboard with the anime style of the performances.

They can expand the series by riding on the Danganronpa hype and make a Danganronpa X Zero Escape cross-over.
Not gonna happen ;-;

Top Bottom