• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spirit Airlines raising carry-on bag fee from $45 to $100 starting November

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Spirit Airlines raising carry-on bag fee to $100:

(05-02) 14:30 PDT NEW YORK, (AP) -- Putting a bag in the overhead bin will soon cost some Spirit Airlines passengers $100. That's more than they may have paid for their tickets.

The Miramar, Fla., airline currently charges $45 for a carry-on bag. As of Nov. 6, customers who wait to pay the fee at the boarding gate will fork over $100. Any bag that needs to fit in the overhead bin is considered a carry-on. A small bag that fits under the seat is free.

The price for a carry-on paid for at an airport kiosk will increase to $50 from $40.

Larger pieces of luggage checked at the airport will cost between $8 and $10 more, while the fee for bags checked online will rise by between $2 and $5.

Spirit also will increase a handful of other fees by between $2 and $10.

Spirit is one of two airlines that charge for carry-ons. Allegiant is the other. In the first quarter, Spirit's average revenue from fees per passenger on a round-trip flight topped $100 for the first time.

What the hell. Glad American Airlines isn't doing this. When I traveled for a short time I liked using carry on since it wouldn't get lost.

sangreal

I actually support carry-on fees more than checked luggage fees since carry-on is way more convenient, secure and causes huge delays in boarding, deplaning and nobody follows the size limits. I don't get why I should have to pay for the privilege of showing up early to check my bag and wait 20 minutes on the other side for it to be thrown onto the conveyor belt

I actually support carry-on fees more than checked luggage fees since carry-on is way more convenient, secure and causes huge delays in boarding, deplaning and nobody follows the size limits. I don't get why I should have to pay for the privilege of showing up early to check my bag and wait 20 minutes on the other side for it to be thrown onto the conveyor belt

And if you are flying US Airways and are in Zone 4...you are fucked. And they check it in and you collect from baggage claim.

Make 1st checked bag free and charge for carry on suitcases.

Swig_

I'm starting to give up on travelling. I haven't had a raise at my job in 4 years, yet everything costs more and more each year. I've been wanting to go to Hawaii and a plane ticket alone for just myself is $1000. A trip for my gf and I would probably cost $3000 for less than a week.

Last week I went on a trip to Alabama for work. Had to pay to check bags, had to pay to switch flights.

Not to mention Delta customer service was absolutely horrible. I felt like they were going out of their way to NOT help me.

Basically, they said that we could change flights for free but had us call a phone number to check on earlier flights. When I called the number, they said there was a fee. TAlked to the ticketing agent at the counter again (someone else) who said that there was a fee. I then called the number back and they said they could waive the fee for us, but the ticketing counter refused to. Basically got jerked around for 4 hours until all the flights that day were filled up and had to waste 2 days in Atlanta in a terrible motel because Delta employees are morons.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I think this coupled with the brouhaha from them refusing to give a refund to a terminal veteran is going to mean losses for this stupid company. If you have shares in Spirit, it is time to sell.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Wait. You guys have to PAY for carry on luggage?

I like the idea of charging more for Carry On luggage. After all it IS a luxury.
When airlines started charging for checked bags, everybody would bring as much as possible in their carry on bags, which makes boarding and exiting a nightmare.

When we flew Spirit from Fort Myers to Chicago, the boarding and exiting was easier and faster since checked bags were cheaper and far fewer passengers had carry-on bags with them.

IMO, you should get one free checked bag per person, and an additional cost for each extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom